Neurology Community
Recovery time for brain tumor surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Recovery time for brain tumor surgery

I had brain surgery for a meningioma in June. The tumor was 6cm. Although it has only been 3 mos. I also get severe headaches daily in which I take Vicodin (4-6 daily). I also have a plate and screws in my head now. The MRI's have shown the tumor is completely gone but I am still swollen and numb. I am extremely tired and wiped out. I have checked out other pages of recovery time and it states that people go back to work within 3-8 wks.I certainly am not ready. I still  have memory issues, concentration and I "stammer" my words quite frequently, and I get dizzy. How long does it really take to recover? Has anyone else expereinced the same?

Hope you are feeling better.
The recovery time for brain tumor surgery depend son many factors like the size of the tumor, the general condition of the patient and location of the tumor.
I would suggest you to take it easy for sometime. Just relax and make sure you get good nutrition. If your symptoms still do not subside please check with your operating doctor.
I was just taken off the vicodin and put on "Butalbital/apap/caff " 325 along with "Amitripyline" 25mg. Is this something that will help with the headaches I am still getting? and  maybe it was the Vicodin that was messing with my memory and feeling dizzy and tired? My head is still swollen and hope this will not affect that. Do I need to wein off the vicodin? Confused.....
hi rezee, i had a crainotomy 21/2 yrs ago. my neuro told me 6-8 weeks for recovery to not!!! my face and eye & temple swelled for about 3mnts. and still swells off and on i was dizzy for about 6mnts and get dizzy every now and then.i get migraines that last for weeks , so bad my head gets sore. i have daily headaches to. i have a little trouble with memory, confuse words, but thats getting better. my scar has a scab still but neuro not worried . i wasent on any pain meds and i was tired and dizzy and had heart palps up to 180 beats a min. i have plate and screws to and one of the screws you can feel and it gets mushy sometimes.i dont have as much feeling on the side of my head as i use to, i keep a constant low grade fever of 99.8 all time. i cant stand the heat it makes me sick.it took a good 11/2 to start to feel normal.but i had a bad seizure and 3 blood clots in my lungs within a mnt. dont give up ,you will get better . any more questions i will try to answer them, brainpain
Avatar n tn
Hi, My husband have just undergone brain tumor surgery on 15 December 2008. The surgery was a big success and they manage to remove everything. He exhibits many of the symptoms described by all of you. One of the symptoms he suffers from at the moment is a severe skin rash that the doctors think may be an allergic reaction to some ant bites.

Today, when he waited for me in the car, he had an episode that makes him feel really bad (perhaps due to the heat? we live in the tropics). When he gets these episodes he gets easily irritable and he starts to push me away. In today's case, he went into the bedroom and locked the door, when I knocked on the door and ask him to open the door, he did open the door but told me to let him rest.

My question is: What can I do to make him feel more comfortable? Can anyone tell me what he is going through with these episodes? How can I show him to love and support that he needs at the moment? How would you like your caregiver to treat you and what do you expect from your caregiver?

Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks.

I wonder if anyone can help? my partner had a tumour removed on the 28th september 2009, he was on machines due to having had 2 heart attacks for a week and came round on tuesday 13th october, i was just wondering how long it was until you were able to talk, walk etc and allowed to leave hospital, im so worried and cant sleep because of this, if anyone can help i would be so grateful.