Recurring Heasdaches
once you have been diagnosed with Puesdo Tumor Ceribri, Will you always have to have a LP Shunt to control fluid pressure?   If so, how long does the shunts generally last before malfunctioning?
HI...not sure, but if u type Pusedotumor Cerebri in the Search Medhelp function top right of this screen it will link u to other threads on this topic and other members with similar issues.

Good Luck
"selma"
Hi.In answer to your question, no, you do not need a shunt straight away. You would first be treated with medicine, usually Diomax. If that is not relieving your symptoms the next step would be lumber punctures to relieve the amount of csf. This would take some time to see if these methods worked first before you would consider a shunt. If you had complications , such as papillodema( swelling of the optic nerve) that might hurry up the decision to have a shunt fitted. There are two types of shunts , a VP shunt and a LP shunt. One would always hope that neither shunt would malfunction!
I have IIH/PTC and have a VP shunt since Dec 08. I hope this answers your question.Cath278.