Neurology Community
Red Ear Syndrome

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Red Ear Syndrome

Red Ear Syndrome

I have this issue where my ear tends to get very red and hot to the touch. It is genarally is only one ear at a time. One will be burning hot and the other will be just fine and not red at all. It is crazy and people can see when it happens. Sometimes its not bad and other times my ear feels like it is on fire. Sometimes if my left or right ear is firing up my left side of my face can get red too, but not that often. It genarally happens in the evening. I did go a few months without having an attack, but now they are back and they are just as consistant as ever. Does not seem to corrolate with anything I am eating.

The only other thing I can think of about my ears is that I sometimes get this stabbing pain "not like a regular ear ache at all". I will only get it in one ear, but I have had it in both just never at the same time. The pain is very intense, but short and makes my head lean to the side of the affected ear.

I told my doctor about it and she said that is was psycological, but then I had an attack right infront of her. She still was reluctant to say that it was anything more than in my head.

Anyone else heard of this?  
I have had this same thing happen to me for the last 25 years. It is almost a daily occurrence. If I go from cold to hot environments or visa versa, hot shower, lack of sleep. I also get neck and back pain and headaches 24/7.I have tried pretty much everything know to science but so far no relief. I have also broken my jaw which may contribute. I am considering nerve blocks. It is ignorant of your specialist to suggest it is all "in your head". Its a right pain and very embarrassing . What do do now?
I have been desperately searching for an answer for my 8 year old son who has undiagnosed with Red Ear Syndrome.  I have been looking for a doctor that has heard of it and to find someone who has treated it who be amazing.  Recently a skin specialist prescribed Plaquenil which seemed to ease the symptoms for the past 6 months.  Chiropractic work on his neck also seems to help and cold icepacs.  Lately with the hot weather he is in terrible pain and I am once again searching for answers.  
Red hot ear syndrome;
  I suspect the original source of the problem was extended exposure to sub-freezing temperatures outdoors as a child, without earmuffs or any ear cover.  This is totally surmised; there is no direct evidence.  Confirmation of others or denial would be helpful.   I have had the problem for 60 years.    
   It has not gone away, although there are months of high activity. Some years seem to be worse than others.    
   There is an immediate remedy for the problem.  It is 100% effective at removing the symptom.        I am sure everyone has tried ice cubes or ice packs.  I have not had success with this approach.   The approach that does work is 10 to 15 minutes exposure to a cold air stream blown directly at the offending ear.  The air must be below 55 degrees F.  The colder, the better.  45 degrees in excellent.  I do this by getting in my car and driving around town with all of the vents closed except those that aim at my head; especially on the side with the syndrome.  The A/C should be set to 'MAX COLD"  the blower speed on 'HIGH'.   Ten to fifteen minutes of this treatment will resolve the issue and leave a very cold ear.  Problem solved.  
    I have tried to play doctor and figure out why this technique works.  My sometimes off-center logic says that the syndrome is the body neurologically responding to what it perceives as a  'cold environment precisely one or both the ears'.   That response is to warn to cold body part.  The extension of this is the espoused treatment is overcoming the bodies natural reaction by getting so cold, that the body gives up  and shuts down the original response in order to conserve warmth.  
   In the real world, animal bodies threatened with severe cold diminish blood flow the the extremities when the animal core body temperature drops below a threshold.  By extension, I think that may be why I have had success with the automobile A/C solution.
     I have some observations about circumstances that I find will initiate the condition.  More on that and perhaps a few other thoughts if requested.