Neurology Community
Red Ear Syndrome

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Red Ear Syndrome

Red Ear Syndrome

I have this issue where my ear tends to get very red and hot to the touch. It is genarally is only one ear at a time. One will be burning hot and the other will be just fine and not red at all. It is crazy and people can see when it happens. Sometimes its not bad and other times my ear feels like it is on fire. Sometimes if my left or right ear is firing up my left side of my face can get red too, but not that often. It genarally happens in the evening. I did go a few months without having an attack, but now they are back and they are just as consistant as ever. Does not seem to corrolate with anything I am eating.

The only other thing I can think of about my ears is that I sometimes get this stabbing pain "not like a regular ear ache at all". I will only get it in one ear, but I have had it in both just never at the same time. The pain is very intense, but short and makes my head lean to the side of the affected ear.

I told my doctor about it and she said that is was psycological, but then I had an attack right infront of her. She still was reluctant to say that it was anything more than in my head.

Anyone else heard of this?  
I have had this same thing happen to me for the last 25 years. It is almost a daily occurrence. If I go from cold to hot environments or visa versa, hot shower, lack of sleep. I also get neck and back pain and headaches 24/7.I have tried pretty much everything know to science but so far no relief. I have also broken my jaw which may contribute. I am considering nerve blocks. It is ignorant of your specialist to suggest it is all "in your head". Its a right pain and very embarrassing . What do do now?
I have been desperately searching for an answer for my 8 year old son who has undiagnosed with Red Ear Syndrome.  I have been looking for a doctor that has heard of it and to find someone who has treated it who be amazing.  Recently a skin specialist prescribed Plaquenil which seemed to ease the symptoms for the past 6 months.  Chiropractic work on his neck also seems to help and cold icepacs.  Lately with the hot weather he is in terrible pain and I am once again searching for answers.