Red hands and feet
My hands and my feet started to get very red about 3 or 4 years ago for no apparent reason. It has gotten worse as I've gotten older. My hands and feet will get really hot and red. If I do any physical activity my hands and feet will turn very red and be very hot and I can feel the heat radiating off my hands and feet. If I am outside and the weather is hot and I am wearing flipflops my feet will get beat red and so will my hands. I dont feel any pain but it is uncomfortable because i can feel something happening in my feet and even my legs. If i take a hot shower my feet and legs become beat red and my legs get blue even and I dont know why. If I am walking in the mall the same thing will happen to my feet; they get very red and hot. Or even if I go outside in the cold and then come back inside my hands will get red and start to get really warm. I've been to the doctor about it and have taken several blood tests but nothing has shown up. If i raise my hands above my head the redness will dissapear in seconds and they are not as hot anymore, but if i leave my hands by my sides I can just feel the blood rushing to my hands and turn beat red. Also my hands and feet will be very cold in the winter and sometimes turn blue or even red when they are very cold. It has gotten worse this winter and I don't understand why it happens or what i can do. I think that could possibly be Raynauds but I dont think when my hands and feet get red and hot that that could be Raynauds. I have tried look it up on the internet, but I can't find anything on it or what it could possibly be. I dont do much physical activity which my doctor said could relate that and i also have fatigue which he also said could relate to that also. Does anyone know what this is?
     My daughter has exactly the same problem and she gets very embarrassed by it.  Were you ever able to get any suggestions as to what might be causing it?
The same thing has been  happening to me for the past 3 years and is getting progressively worse. I've stopped wearing flip flops because ppl are always asking what is wrong with my feet, unfortunatly there's not much I can do to hide the red hands. Sometimes my hands and feet feel like they are on fire and other times they feel completely normal or even cold to the touch (regardless of the temp they are usually abnormally red). Occasionally my feet will turn a purplish color and my toes will go numb, this can happen even when my hands are on fire and bright red. Its so strange.  I have done alot of research and have yet to find an answer. Please let me know if you find any information and I will do the same
Just curious how old you are?  I am in my 30s and just now experiencing the very same problems: Red, burning, sweaty hands and feet that range from extremes of very warm and sweaty to cold cold.  But my hands are always red..more so when down at my sides and less so when elevated, but always red.  They swell up at night and sometimes fall asleep on me too.  I know that many Raynaud type disease show up in teens, but I am in my 30's.  Wish I knew what this was and how to help myself. I have been tested for just about everything and all they have come up with is that I should take an asprin a day.  It doesn''t seem to help at all.  I will continue to share any new info I get.
it could be erythromalalgia   sp?
I tis when your hands and feel sell, turn red, almost purple in some cases, and feel very hot. Usually happens when you are warm, during warm weather. mine happens in the shower, sleeping at night, and when my hands are in the sun, especially when I am driving, it gets very uncomfortable.
Hope this helps, but usually EM is a sign of something else...
I know this may sound kinda crazy, but I have been experiencing the same problems for about 6 months and I am finally feeling better.  I've been to several doctors and nothing seemed to address my problems.  My allergy doctor thought it was Raynauds and ordered some blood work.  My white blood cell count was high, so they ran some more tests and turns out I have strep.  I don't have a sore throat or fever, but I've got strep and I have no idea how long I've had it.  I started taking an antibiotic Friday and it is now Monday and I haven't had burning red hands or feet or ears!! I am still a little reactive to temperature change, but not like I was.  I really hope that I have found relief for good!
I am experiencing burning feet and arms/hands. I have to run cold water over them to alleviete it. I've been checked for everything including a 2hr scan for bloodclots. I don't even know what specialist to try next. Please update if you've found anything!
I have similar symptoms. I can feel a slight temperature increase on the skin, but most of the burning feeling/redness comes from the nerves itself. Anyway, I find that cold showers/sprays help for a little while.  I also wipe aloe vera on which gives longer relief, of course still temporary.
As I said for my last 4 or 5 posts. Doctors Please, please research Erythromelalgia. I know how all of you feel. Took 12 years to be diagnosed.It is a rare disease which is being researched with very little money at yale. The EM group at yahoo gave and raised if I'm saying this right, 25,000.00. for 20 researchers and the man from China which found the mutated gene He will be there for 2 years.. Please do your homework,read, read, read, then print it out and take it to your doctors.

Some one has to pick this information up and pass it along.. I wish I could have duplicated my firsts post. I have typed this so much I can't even make much sense anymore.HOpe this helps.
I've been experiencing the same: red, hot hands and feet. I've always had this but find it's getting worse.  I've had these symptoms for as long as I can remember.  Now, my feet are almost always red/purple.  My hands and feet get hot/red but not sweaty. As everyone has mentioned it's extremely embarrasing and now for the first time people are starting to notice.  I'm extremely self-concious of this.  It almost always happens when I'm either sitting or standing for any length of time, when it's warm in or outside and often WHEN I EAT, tired or stressed.  That's almost always!  It's very strange.  Does anyone have these symptoms while they're eating?  No one has mentioned that. Has anyone's doctor determined if it's definately "Erythromelalgia" or something else?  I al- ways had an excuse as to why this happens but recently it dawned on me that "there's something wrong"'.  Has anyone learned anymore OR how to alleviate these symptoms?

I am a 31 year old female and I have been suffering with red hands and feet for about 11 years now, and it has only gotten worse.  I sometimes have numbness in my toes, and in my thumbs when it's cold.  My hands and feet are usually cold, but can get hot as well.  My hands are also usually really dry, and I think maybe it's because I wash them a lot and don't moisturize enough.  I used to try really hard to take care of my hands, but nothing seemed to help much, so I have almost given up.  It is really embarrasing, as people are always asking me what's wrong with my hands and feet.  I have had blood tests done at the doctor's, and they all say it's got something to do with my circulation.  At first they said it may be Raynauds, but the blood tests ruled that out.  I've read a lot about this on the internet, and one thing that I found was that the redness may be a symptom of Candida, and can be alleviated by changing one's diet.  Candida is basically yeast, and is formed when the body is overly acidic.  The body needs to be a more alkaline pH.  So, apparently eating less sugar, caffiene, and carbohydrates should help.  So, do a google search for 'red hands and feet', and check out all the info that comes up.  Good luck in your search for a cure...

Sincerely,
The girl with red hands
I just found this awesome information about the Anti-Candida Diet.  I hope this helps:

The ANTI-CANDIDA DIET
Diet is extremely important when dealing with Candida. A number of dietary factors appear to promote the growth of Candida. The most important factors are a high intake of sugar (table sugar, honey, molasses, maple syrup, corn syrup, candy, soft drinks, fruit (except cranberries and lemons) , milk and other dietary products, foods containing yeast such as flour products.

NO SUGAR:
Sugar is the chief food source for Candida Albicans. It is well accepted that restriction of sugar intake is an absolute necessity in the treatment of chronic candidiasis. Limitation of refined carbohydrates is also a good idea (bread, pasta, cereal, foods made with flour) since they can also feed yeast.

NO MILK AND DAIRY PRODUCTS:
There are several reasons to restrict or eliminate the intake of milk.

The high lactose content promotes the overgrowth of Candida
Milk is one the most frequent food allergens
Milk may contain trace levels of antibiotics which can further disrupt the GI bacterial flora and promote Candida Overgrowth.
NO MOLD AND YEAST- CONTAINING FOOD:
Patients with chronic candidiasis should avoid foods with a high content of yeast or mold, including alcoholic beverages, cheeses, dried fruits and peanuts.

Check for food allergies and Sensitivities:
Check for food allergies or food sensitivities since they are very common in patients with yeast syndrome. The symptoms of a food sensitivity may be so subtle that you do not know you have it. We recommend you have an IgG food allergy test done from ImmunoLabs and eliminate any food which shows up positive for 3-6 months.

Supplementation with Probiotics

Even when you are not actively dealing with Candida overgrowth, it is important to regularly supplement your diet with the "friendly" bacteria, or probiotics such as lactobacillus and bifidus for protection. You can ingest these through your diet by eating high quality yogurt and Kefir products which state the presence of "live cultures" on their labels. High quality brands include Stoneyfield Farms, Brown Cow, Tillamook, Cabot and others (just be careful to always check sugar content—some products contain a lot of sugar or corn syrup). Try combining plain yogurt with fresh berries, apples or applesauce for a more "naturally" sweetened snack.

Another easy way to regularly replenish the protective supply in your intestines is to supplement with a high quality brand, such as HLC Maintenance by Pharmax. It is particularly useful to pay attention to replenishing probiotics during and immediately after antibiotic regimens, episodes of diarrhea, and in preparation for travel abroad. Store your probiotic supplement in the refrigerator to keep live cultures fresh.

I've had the same problem for a year and a half.  I have lyme disease, so either that is causing it or it is auto-immune as a reaction to the disease or it is from the intense IV antibiotitic treatment I've had for years.  No one knows, Ive tried everything I can think of.
*update*
Since my previous post I have been on thyroid meds for slight hypothyroidism AND avoiding dairy products. My skin color is back to normal, the tingling in my feet and hands has stopped, I have feeling in my fingers again, and the headaches are gone.
However, it is also winter here, and my symptoms were much worse in the summer. I'm going to Hawaii in March, so I will update again if my symptoms come back in the heat... but for now I'm feeling good!
I have these symptoms too. I'm an 18 year old male and have had symptoms for about 2 years now. Hands get red and hot, and it goes away if I raise them but comes back when I lower them again. I've been to a dermatologist and a cardiologist and they don't know what it is. I've had an ultrasound of my blood vessels and nothing showed up. It's so embarrassing. I always have to hold my hands up and I'm always looking for things to hold as an excuse to not hang my hands down. It gets me really depressed because I'm at an age when I need to be looking for women and I feel nobody will want me because of my hands.
I also suffer from red, hot swollen hands and feet.  The veins in my hands have become very prominent recently too - does anyone else have that problem? Heavenlybird, you suggested it could be associated with diet, which could be a strong possibility.  Out of interest, have you or anyone you know tried the Anti Candida diet and found any positive results?  I will try anything, as red hand and feet thing is a right pain in the butt!
I am 24 year old female who has just started getting these symptoms.  I have been on a new medication for the past 3 months and it has slowly been getting worse, so I am hoping it will go away once I stop the medication.  I have been taking Benadryl which temporarily alleviates the burning and redness but not really sensitivity.  Perhaps an allergic reaction??!!  Hope that helps anyone for temporary relief!
You should get an endocrineologist and make an appointment. Could be thyroid, pituitary adenoma, or other disorder. Genreal physician will almost always try Reynauds syndrom first but if not that should consult with a good endocrine doctor. I have same thing hands turn red like lobster, get hot, sometimes sweaty, and infrequently my hands would also tingle at times but not at others. I was dignosed with acromegaly and hyperthyroidism, graves disease. Now hopefully on the road to recovery.
***update! update!***
I wish I could just edit earlier posts but since I can't here's a recap. I've had burning hands and feet for a couple of years, always worse in the heat. Horrible headaches too. I've had a 2hr ultrasound of the veins in my legs, MRI's, CT scans and tons of bloodwork. One dermatologist told me I had erythomaglia and aspirin would help. Aspirin did not relieve symptoms, and instead gave me an ulcer. So my family Dr told me to go on the "ulcer diet" which is all white food but NO DAIRY.  A few days later, my burning hands and feet were 80% gone! The horrible constant headaches were reduced to occasional mild ones. I began to suspect dairy so I eliminated it completely from my diet and have been doing great! I was even able to lay on the beach in the sun and did not have symptoms. Last summer I had to wear long sleeves and hats to keep my skin out of the light.
My appointment with an allergist is not until May, but I feel like this is it. I know there's  dozens of reasons for burning hands and feet but I wish in all my internet searching I had seen a post about Dairy reaction so I have to post this.
It can take DAYS for lactose to react in your intestines which is why it was so hard for me to realize I was having a reaction to my food.
Hello, yes, I have red hands and feet/legs only when standing, but it is starting to happen even when sitting or in any position where my hands and feet are not ABOVE my heart, I think.  I also have very protruding veins, getting worse, they are sticking out all the way up to my chest, starting with the worst from the hands and feet.  It is worse when it is hot and it feels like I am going to have a heart attack.  Today I had a blood pressure monitor test and noticed when my arm was squeezed by the machine I got the same feeling, like my heart was beating too fast and I was going to have a heart attack. When it is hot I feel like I am going to have a heart attack.  I DO know I have low breathing, from using a peak flow test machine at home, and wonder if it is due to lack of oxygen, but my GP won't do anything for me.

Please can someone help.  I also get extreme loss of sensation and purple black fingers when it is cold, well, even when it is just mild.  I also have to wear jumpers even in the summer, a lot, as I feel like I have high blood pressure but I also feel cold. I do also have other health problems, such as an extended bowel due to long term infection (which could cause dehydration as it causes constipation), arthritis and spondilosis in my back and a few hernias.

Melissa
my two sisters and I all have this.  i'm 30 years old and have suffered from this for about 10 years now.  for me its brought on by stress, warm environments and drinking alcohol.  my fingers and thumbs become red and very warm.  whats odd is that my palms remain unaffected during an attack.  cool water and elevation seem to be about the only things that help alleviate the symptoms once they have started. no medications have helped. this happens with my toes and heels also. ...its quite the bummer. :/  

joe
I have had this red and hands and feet just this past weekend.  I was painting with Kitchen and Bath paint in the bathroom and I felt dizzy and when I looked in the mirror my hands were blood red, and then I took off my socks and my feet were blood red as well, my sister thought my feet were bleeding.  I am alergic to Latex and we were using latex based paint but I wasn't eating it and it wasn't all over my hands and feet.  Not sure if it was some weird alergic reaction or something else.  However, it happened 2 days in a row, only while painting the bathroom.  I am having some tests on my liver as some bloodwork came back with some need to test my liver... not sure if that has anything to do with that.  However, with some of the symptoms that seems to be going along with this in others is the same with me... so what I want to know is how many other people are overweight.  I have been overweight for a while now and noticed that a lot of my symptoms started after I gained (approx 80 pounds).  I am currently trying to lose some of that but wonder if some or most of the symptoms I am experiencing (dizziness, headaches, breathlessness, chest pains etc), and now the red hands and feet can be contributed to the extra weight?  Anybody else?

I have had the same exact problems as anyone here.  In the summer my hand are very hot and bright red (same for feet), and in the winter my feet are purplelish, cold, and numb.

Have tested for reynaud's disease but it was negative.  I do know that I have neuropathy but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with that.

I too am very embarrassed by this and would really really really appreciate if anyone could post any updates on this.

Thanks.
Male, 19, relatively fit, never been overweight, have had this for 2 or 3 years. Blood tests & ultrasound negative. Aspirin does nothing. Worst in hands, not as bad in feet.

Ruining my life, always have to stay out of the sun, and stay indoors in hot weather, and keep my hands above heart level.
You definitely sound like you have Raynauds - I know as I have same condition.  The blood test they talk about sometimes is a waste of time, raynayds syndrom & phenomenon are more or less same thing.  Freezing cold hands & feet, sometimes nose too, then all of a sudden, they are too hot, red and drive you insane.
My problem started with pregnancy - only way I could sleep was a pack of frozen peas under each foot - people thought I was bonkers!  Apparently Aspirin works - try taking one when you feel the flare up coming on and also (on prescription only - Nifedipine).
Condition is Erythromalalgia, but go to GP and ask for blood tests or for referral to a Rheumatologist as sometimes there's an underlying reason.  I had these tests done but they couldn't tell me anything.
Good luck!
look hear sounds pretty close to what you may have.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Candida-and-Red-Hands-and-Feet,-What-Causes-It,-How-to-Cure-It&id=1256643
it sounds like it could be raynaud's phenomenon. check it out.
Hey all, I think today, whilst I had this page up with many others trying to figure out (for the umpteenth time) what all my symptoms mean, that I actually found the diagnosis.  Like everyone here the back of my hands from mainly my knuckles down my fingers oscillates between red and purple with the burning sensation.  The same goes for my toes.  My cheeks also experience the same phenomenon only to a much lesser degree (seems like rosacia(sp) at first).  The one symptom I have that no one here has mentioned is muscle fatigue and tenderness.  I am pretty much a textbook case for what's called dermatomyositis.  Unfortunately, it's pretty damn serious. I am calling my doc tomorrow morning first thing to get the tests ran.

I hope this helps someone out there.
Hi I have pretty much the exact same problem everyone else has *go figure huh*. My hands get hot and red and so do my feet *but not as often as my hands. They do this very very randomly but I'm 80% sure it has a trigger. I think I figured a bit of a pattern. See my feet and hands always very cold, always, and when I do something that raises my body temperature suddenly, sure enough it'll flare up. Whether it's walking running, the heat suddenly coming on, eating something hot or even if i get worked up about something! My hands get hot and red and slightly swollen, or my feet or both hands and feet or one foot and one hand or just one hand or one foot. It had been steadily getting worse over the years *I'm 20 btw* and i decided it was time to see a doctor since it was becoming very noticeable. It's typically worse in the summer. They did some blood tests and no diseases showed up except that my vitamin D level was extremely low. A normal Vitamin D level is like 30 something well mine was 6...And so they put me on vitamin D pills and it didn't seem to do much for me but after a few months i started noticing it getting less frequent almost to the point of it disappearing and I was starting to find some normalcy in life again. Well after 2 months of taking it I lost my health care and couldn't go back for a check up and get a refill and it started coming back very fast. I just went to the doctor and my level was 17 *normal is 30* It's definitely not as bad now as it was before my first time getting on a Vitamin D supplement I really do notice a difference. I just hope i can maintain it. I wish you all luck and I hope I helped.
Same type thing happening to me, but mine has just come on recently and suddenly (I'm age 41 now).  I was sitting in the office on the computer and next thing I know, my hands are turning red in the palms and feel like they are burning.  About 30 minutes later I notice the same thing is starting to happen to the soles of my feet, only not quite as bad.  This is the first time I have ever had something like this.

I go to the doctor the next day and he doesn't know what to think of it.  I have no fever at all and no other symtoms (I feel fine except for the hot red hands).  He tells me it is likely my body reacting to some sort of virus and about all we can do is let it play out.  He tells me to give it a week and if it gets worse come back and see him.

Later that evening I start to get a speckled rash on the inside of my lower arms.  By the next morning I have the speckled rash from my knees to belly button, but nowhere near my private parts.  It doesn't itch at all or feel bad in any way.  The next day the rash starts to go away and the day after that it is completely gone.  The redness in the hands and feet starts to subside.

The skin on the hands appears to have gotten damaged by the burning redness (felt a lot like I had severely sun-burned hands).  My hands start peeling just like a sunburn would a few days after that.  A few days after my hands have finished peeling, they start to turn red again, sometimes very red, sometimes not red at all, but nowhere near as bad as the initial incident.  My feet also peeled, but not as much and they do not appear to have gotten red again.

So, as of today it's been about 20 days since the initial incident and my hands still occassionally turn red and burn, but at least it goes away eventually. I think Advil might be helping.

I have not been back to the doctor again, but I think I may need to go again.  He acted like he didn't have a clue before, so I am not sure what he is going to do for me now.  Hearing others who have this problem chronically has me worried that I may have something that simply won't go away.

I have googled the internet like crazy and there seems to be a lot of things that could cause these symtoms, but they seem to always be accompanied by other symptoms, which I have none.  A lot of the possible causes seem to be related to infections that can be taken care of by anti-biotics, but I got the impression the doctor wouldn't prescribe those unless he knew exactly what he was treating.  I wish they would just put me on a round of anti-biotics just in case, since many of the infections sound like that can turn into fairly serious problems.
Exactly the same thing happens to me, with the palmar surface of the hands and bottom of the feet getting cherry red when they are down, and returning to normal or even paler than normal color when they are raised. And here is what the docs have found out about me.

1. My anticentromere antibodies are sky high. This frequently goes along with CREST syndrome, and I do have a bunch of the things that go with that variant of scleroderma.

2. A PET scan revealed that I have liver inflammation. The anticentromere antibodies can cause that. And I've read that "palmar erythema and plantar erythema can go along with liver problems. Maybe it goes along with that because the anticentromere antibodies can cause both liver and heart problems! See the next item:

3. It's most recently been discovered that I have left ventricular diastolic heart dysfunction. That means that the lower left chamber of the heart, which pumps oxygenated blood out to the rest of the body is not relaxing and filling properly, because the heart muscle is becoming hardened or stiffened. The CREST or scleroderma process can do this. So the heart is having trouble pumping blood to the systemic circulation. I suspect this is what really causes the hands to be red when they are low, and lose that redness when they are raised.There just isn't adequate "PUSH" behind the blood column to keep the blood moving, so it pools in the extremities when they are low, but can still drain and return via the arteries to the right heart when they are raised.

So it you have this phenomenon, I suggest
# 1. ask for an anticentromere test. Note it has been my experience that the ANA test is not a good substiute as far as identifying these antibodies. Especially ask for this test if you have any of the other signs of CREST syndrome, even if you do not have any skin hardening. (I dont').

#2. ask for an echocardiogram to check your heart function. This is what discovered my heart dysfunction. This particular heart dysfunction is progressive, but symptomless in grade 1. However in grade 2 it starts giving ankle &/or finger swelling, fatigue, and huffing and puffing with mild exertion. So If you're having any of these symptoms (I am), all the more reason to get your heart checked out.
P.S. My feet recently have also recently developed the classic white-blue-red color changes of Raynauds when they are cold and then rewarm. I figure my hands probably will also in a couple years, since they were a couple of years behind the feet as far as developing the redness. Raynaud's also goes along with the anticentromere antibodies. Apparently these antibodies affect the entire circulatory system.
PPS. A number of you have mentioned thyroid problems. And yes, Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis (causes hypothyroidism) often goes along with the anticenromere antibodies and CREST syndrome. So does Sjogren's syndrome, causing dry eyes, dry mouth, and dry vagina. Nonerosive arthritis (tendonitis) is another problem I've experiencing with it, and also liver inflammation. I'm getting neuropathy, hair loss from the limbs, both of which can go along with CREST, as well as liver inflammation showing only on PET scan, but not on the liver enzyme tests. I don't know whether it's connected at all, but my spine is so inflamed that a couple of my cervical vertebrae have spontaneously fused together (spondylitis), and I've developed 5 herniated discs. I also have the gastric reflux, sensation that food lingers in the lower esophagus, and a few telangiectasias on face and hands. So many doctors would say I have CREST syndrome, though that is not an entity recognized by the American College of Rheumatology's archaic (1980) system of scleroderma criteria which has never been updated to recognize beginning and mild forms of the disease, such as CREST, nor does it take into account the rather disease-specific autoantibodies discovered in the years since their criteria for diagnosis was written.

As yet I have no skin hardening. I believe there is a variety of CREST in which skin hardening is very slow to occur or never occurs. Perhaps this is also what is called scleroderma sine scleroderma. I suspect it is more common than is recognized, in large part due to the ACR's insistence on signs of skin hardening or pulmonary fibrosis. Yet, left dyastolic heart dysfunction due to myocardial fibrosis may be occurring in these people long before pulmonary fibrosis occurs, if ever. As a result most cases of scleroderma sine scleroderma probably usually go undiagnosed, or are only diagnosed at autopsy. And how often are older deaths autopsied? Not very often. That's why I think it's probably much commoner than is currently recognized. I think the limited scleroderma criteria need to be revised to include such things as myocardial fibrosis in addition to Pulmonary arterial hypertension and pulmonary fibrosis. It also needs to recognize the 5 acronym items of CREST: calcinosis, Raynaud's, esophageal dysfunction, sclerodactyly, and telangietasias, without requiring that all 5 of them be present. And it needs to recognize the high association of the anticentromere antibodies antibodies with this disease.
Well im 16 years old and my hands has just started to get red very red and when i pull my arms up it is a little white color but theres still red on my nuckles.

it itches/numbing feeling.. it is not a great way to get a date... I have let my parents know about this but they dont know what is it is. So can you please tell me what i could be and what i need to do...

Oh and when im in the shower and warm water is on my feet turn beat red.
and my whole life i have allways had my 1 right ear to be very very red... lol could have that been a sighn?

thanks.
I'm 14 and have had red hands and feet for the past year or so. They go very red and hot or very cold. My mum has Reynauds but she says I don't have it even though i havn't had any test or anything. I went to a herbal doctor and he said I have bad circulation and gave me some medicine. It hasn't worked and am going back there next week.
18 year old male, I've also been having a similar problem, get easily white cold hands, and also red hands when they get warm.
Anyone got any advice? contact ***@****
Hi there.
I related most with what you said (tgyamibakuva).....  I usually have very COLD hands and feet and then when I do lots of activity, drink alcohol, go from a cold environment to a hot one, go in the shower....  MY FACE MOST INTENSELY and my feet and hands get very hot and my pulses are bounding.  MY FACE gets very red and hot, but my hands and feet do not get red, just very hot and bounding-feeling pulses.  It is wierd - at night, even when it is winter I have to elevate my legs and keep my feet uncovered or they feel like they are on fire.  I can relate to the feeling someone mentioned of fearing they are having a heart attack minus the pain.......
My fiancee jokes that I look like an alcoholic when my face gets so red, but it happens sooooo many other times than just if I have an occassional drink.  So, Erythromalalgia, Raynalds, Candida and some other derma  (skin) conditon are possible.  Gonna research more.  Thank you all for your input --- thought I was just NUTS until I stumbed into this site.
PS:   I am a 4th year nursing student and from all I have learned, my hunch is this is CIRCULATORY (vessel, heart) linked.  I feel it is VERY important for all of us to check this out becuase heart/circulation issues are nothing to fool around with even if you are 18, 21, 41 etc.  We had a close friend who is 32 just suffer a sever heart attack.
Oh, by the way, I am about 20 lbs. overweight for those who asked about this in relation to weight.  Thank you, and any updates, please post!!!!!!!
"Sufferin with you all"
I have read all of the above posts, but still am at a loss as to what I may have.  I have the red hot hands and feet, but my problems go way past that.  I get spots all over my body that turn beat red and feel feverish (super hot) to the touch, but you can touch a spot next to it that is not red and it's cool to the touch.  This comes on at any time...I can be stressed, mad, upset, drinking, embarrassed, sitting watching tv, typing on the computer, driving...anything and it comes on suddenly.  My doctor told me I would grow out of it when I hit puberty, but I am going to be 30 next month, so I think he was WRONG!!  :)  My Principal (I'm a teacher) thinks I am missing my calling by not becoming a principal myself, but I can NOT get up in front of people and speak because of this problem.  I truly feel it holds me back from doing lots of things.  Does anyone else have the same problem of it being other body parts besides the hands and feet?  (Mainly my face, neck, chest, arms, and legs)  Never really my torso.  
I have been suffering from similar symptoms for about five years.  I am a 34 year old white female.  Not overweight.  Mother of four.  My hands get so bright red and swollen that I find myself hiding them whenever I am in public.  People ask if I burned my hands or what is wrong with my hands.  When they are red and swollen they feel warm and they hurt.  When I am cold or wash my hands with cool water my hands are freezing cold.  Every time I touch my children they tell me my hands are cold.  If I accidently touch my husband with my hands or feet as I am crawling into bed he flinches away like I am putting ice in his shirt.  I live in Colorado and I find that if I walk out to start my car (when it is cold out) without gloves on my hands burn, my finger turn purple when they are cold.
A doctor told me I have reynauds, which could be the case, but I was curious about the posts above about diet.  I have been a vegetarian for 23 years.  My diet is all veggies, carbs and dairy.  I am studying to be a nurse and my biggest fear is my patients being freaked out by my ugly, red, (or purple) fingers!  
keep talking...

Red-Handed in Colorado
I'm 33 and was diagnosed with Raynaud's about 4 years ago. However, my case is somewhat odd. My hands/feet could be ice cold, but they are beat red. I've only had one toe go numb to the point I had to put it under hot water to regain feeling 3 maybe 4 times over the years. I have one toe that will turn very purple/blue at times. If I'm on my feet for more than a couple of minutes, they are red, and they get very swollen and they hurt pretty bad. My hands the same way. If I lift my leg above my heart, the color is normal, and then same with hands. I put them down, and within seconds, it's like all of the blood rushes to my hands/feet and doesn't move. In fact, I've seen a nuerologist, rheumologist, and I've had extensive bloodwork - no lupus or other disease that may cause this. I've had the needle test, shock test, 2 venous dopplers, 1 arteriol doppler, ekg, emg, etc. - I give up! My large arteries showed all is fine. Could it be something with my small veins?

I'm wondering if this is Raynaud's afterall because I don't have the "normal" symptoms. What vitamins could I take to get my blood flowing right?

I feel like I'm at my wits end with this. I want to feel normal again.
hey,  im just now in my 20's i turn 21 on the 26th.  ive had this iwerd thing scince ive been in jr high, basically as long as i can remember being i dint think we were curois bout other people's bodies any younger.    but yea we used to draw faces in my hands seeing the imprint would stay for so long.   ive tried to bring it up with my mom but yea. basically i just laugh about it, cuz it is kinda cool. but i am a guy so i find things like this cool.  idk i just raised them above my head and let the blood drain out and now im typing and they feel iwerd, tingly? lol idk.  but yea ive heard it could be a precursour to diabetes from random ppl, rainholds.  i dont get fatigue i dont think. course i been up since 10 am yesterday so i rarely get tired but yea.

good luck
Andrew.
I'm 42, female, 5'4", 110 lbs, and been having these symptoms too for the past ~4 years.  I have a lot of regular tingling in my hands and feet.  My feet often get really uncomfortably hot and toes look frighteningly purplish/red and swollen.  Symptoms occur mostly after exercise, using our hot tub, being out in hot weather.  At night in bed, my feet often get so hot I can't sleep and have to get up and run them under cold water.  And when I'm sitting for short periods of time, they fall asleep quickly and I have to get up and move around.  Elevating them when they're swollen and purplish after exercise helps.  I've had concerns that this is just really bad circulation possibly stemming from some sort of heart problem ... blood seems to pool in my feet or have trouble getting there at all (in certain sitting positions); when I raise my arms, I can feel the blood quickly draining out.  The EKG I had 4 yrs ago when this all started was normal.   They also ruled out diabetes, lyme disease, and MS.  I eventually got tired of inconclusive tests and doctors who seemed to think I was just some sort of hypochondriac/anxiety basket-case.  But this problem is still persisting and possibly worsening and I'd love to find some answers.  Thanks for sharing your stories and suggestions.  It's good to know I'm not the only one with these bizarre symptoms.  
I have the same problem, but i think it's nerves because everytime i'm in front of people it happens, but when i am home alone, it doesn't. Say i'm sitting in church and trying to focus on the sermon, but i look down and my hands are red and they are hot....unaturally hot. So i start focusing on this, and my hands get very hot and red...more than before. But on saturday, my hands are very white. It's only when i'm around people. right now i'm in a dark classroom typing this at school and my hands are white. If you were to put 20 other kids in here w/ me, my hands would turn red. I just don't know how to control my nerves. I'm a pretty laid back guy on the outside, but on the inside i just can't handle it....
My let hand for no apparent reason turned bright pink under the skin two nights ago. I went to the hospital and none of the doctores could tell me anything about it. They were all baffled by it. One nurse tried to use alchohol to see if it would come off. I had explained that I had alredy tried to get it off. Blood tests were given and everything looked normal. It looked as if I had placed my hand in pink paint. My fingers all the way down to the hand were pink(this is all on the inside of the hand) and my palm was pink. Has anyone else ever had this?
Hi all,
For several months I've been having a lot of the weird symptoms posted on this board: red hand and toes, toes turning purple/blue when i sit or stand still for a while, return to normal color as soon as I elevate my limbs. I've also been to the Dr. and gotten nowhere.

After reading Heavenly Bird's suggestion about the Candida overgrowth I decided to try an anti-candida diet and after a couple of weeks I started to notice some improvement. So then I called my Dr. and she prescribed me some generic diflucan (50mg a day for 30 days!). I'm about 4-5 weeks into the anti-candida diet and 2 weeks into the diflucan and I'm really starting to notice a difference. My toes are gradually getting more flesh colored and less red and they turn less blue and do it slower, but the progress strongly correlates to how strictly I follow the anti-candida diet.
I should also mention that I have lost about 5 lbs since starting the diet, which is not so great b/c i started at 5'5" and 123 lbs... and am now about 117 lbs... I used to work out somewhat regularly but in fear of loosing too much weight I have not been working out on this diet. Also,
I have had a VERY strong sweet tooth for the past 12 years and after a few weeks of the anti-candida diet my cravings for sweets is almost nil. I never thought that was possible b/c I'm also hypoglycemic and even after i greatly reduced my intake of sweets I still had very strong cravings. Now, I'm attributing the cravings to high likelihood of having a candida overgrowth in my blood.

So, to the rest of you with red and blue hands and feet... please give the anti-candida diet an earnest try b/c, overweight or not, all you have to loose is a few lbs... but maybe you'll find a solution to your strangely colored hands and feet!
Hi, im 16 years old and male. just under 2 years ago my hands started to go very strange, much like some of you lot. when im hot (or even just a little warm) my hands will go bright red and feel quite heavy. however, when i put my hands above my head the blood seems to drain away. when it is cold outside, then my hands will go a blue/purple colour. also (like drewser2) people can draw things on my hands, because white marks will appear when someone touches my hands. the white marks can last for around a minute. my hands dont hurt though. i was diagnosed with raynauds but i dont think that this is it. i have fallen arches in my feet, my joints seem to click a lot, and i sweat a lot under my arms; i have no idea if any of these link together at all. it would be much appreciated if someone could please tell me what i have, and anyone else with the same problem.

Thanks, Andrew
Wow! Glad I found this site. Reading all the above posts really helped me out. My guy noticed, while I was in hospital over a year ago how very RED my palms were. I had just had major surgery and had also just gone thru 10 years of xtreme stress!!! I haven’t been on tons of prescription drugs other than Nexium for heartburn and 3 months of Plavix & Aspirin and I take a baby aspirin a day anyhow – but in my mind that’s tonssssssssss of prescription meds. Way too many! I also with my own careful research and naturopathic help, take good vitamins and minerals specific to my body. I guess I just don’t trust my groceries any more. 

I am only a mild social drinker so the red palms don’t equal liver failure. Whew! Blood pressure and all the usual tests are fine…

The red palms have just become part of me since my surgery - but friends and family recently started noticing and asking what’s up with my red hands - which has “weirded” me out so today I went to my MD – who admitted she didn’t know either – but did my fingers turn blue (No) did it hurt (Yes) because they are hot all the time and sort of burn. My feet hurt and burn too but no red (Yet?)
She is testing me for B12 levels ???  (I already take shots monthly) and will most likely send me to a Rheumatoid Arthritis Specialist.  Ok – here’s some the specialist roller coaster no doubt.

So I have been researching all day on RED PALMS as I have found out being your very own medical advocate and learning all you can saves tons of time in the Dr’s office and I am the one who found my B12 deficiency thru my research anyhow.    I really don’t want to go thru the medical roller coaster.

I am so glad I found this site and I learnt so much by reading all the above posts and I went, as someone on here recommended to the following sites which were very helpful. Erythromelalgia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythromelalgia which taught me a lot and has helped eliminate some of the causes I think. I have read on every cause and symptom and hopefully eliminated lots – like “being pregnant” is for sure out the door!!!  I also went to the other site one of you recommended http://ezinearticles.com/?Candida-and-Red-Hands-and-Feet,-What-Causes-It,-How-to-Cure-It&id=1256643  which is also very helpful and I read the article and ads.

Amazing. I never even thought that Candida could be part of this – even though I read the Candida Diet above with interest - and I am not sure yet that it is but I am very willing to listen to anyone who can make this go away!

I have been wanting to do a type of cleanse diet but not an extreme one or major pills one or lemon water and prune juice whatevers – just a good healthy cleanse diet for weight loss and overall health. I am dreading giving up my dairy though. I can definitely do the no wheat thing but the dairy is going to hurt! I have already read some on this with the book “Eat right for your blood type” which told me to x out the dairy and wheat anyhow but hadn’t yet wanted to start that. Now I think I better.

If anyone finds out more on this RED palms (and feets) please post the information!

Trishy
Wow.  I have been reading all these posts trying to piece together my symptoms, and there have been some helpful leads.  I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 18 months ago after months of terrible heartburn, a low grade fever and a general sense of malaise.  Since my diagnosis, I have had other symptoms such as achy joints, a screaming case of plantar faciitis, an irregular heartbeat and sporadically red hot hands and feet to name a few.

Ten months ago I started getting very hot hands and feet--sometimes for no reason, sometimes triggered by alcohol.  I was convinced I had Scleroderma so went to a rheumotologist.  She did a slew of tests and assured me it was not Scleroderma even Sine (without skin symptoms).  She said she thought my red hands were due to either being in perimenopause (I'm still on a 26 day cycle) or being at the end of the inflammatory phase of my thyroid disease.  While I was relieved at the time, my weird symtpoms have not gone away.  So I am left to guess.  

In April I told my PCP about my hands still getting bright red and hot and my heart pounding after I eat.  She speculated that I may have some sort of dysautonomia (autonomic nervous system dysfunction).  Mitral Valve Prolapse and Post Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) are two examples of dysautonomias.  They can go with thyroid disease and other connective tissue and autoimmune disorders.  But to get a definitive diagnosis, I would have to see a cardiologist.  I have yet to schedule an echocardiogram due to having a very high deductable and already spending thousands of dollars on specialty docs.

What I have read about Eurythromelalgia is that it can be a precursser to myleproliferative disorders including: Polycythemia Vera, Essential Thromobocytosis, Myelofibrosis, CLL and AML.  Sometimes the red hands can preceed the disease by 2 and 1/2 years.  While I am trying not to catastrophize, I am still researching the possibilities and trying to piece things together.

My hope is that everyone who has posted on this forum finds the answer to this bizarre symptom.  I also hope that the easiest and least life threatening possibility is the answer for most.  Something simple like adrenal disease or a dairy allergy is what we should all hope for.  And to the girl who posted who has CREST, please post again so we can know how you are doing.  Well wishes.

Mystified
I also have red swollen feet and hands, comes and goes but in hot weather its bad. So glad to come across this page, I thought I was alone in this red hot thing I have.   thank you to all that have posted.  
im 15 with the same problem, im not sure if its the changing of seasons, but i have been recently getting it, and its currently winter.
my hands and sometimes feet randomly start to heat up burn and sting, only sometimes it is itchy, im starting to worry because as i read the other comments people seem to have it for years, and its just the start for me. i usually get it, when im sitting on the bus, or waiting, i have no idea why. Its embarresting as i am an apprentise in hairdressing and this is a serious issue as i use my hands ALOT,
im geting a bit worried and so is my mum, if you have any ideas of why my hands and sometimes feet do this, please explain. also if you have any suggestings as to how i can stop this please let me no !
thankyou
Toxicity
Well guess what, I read all your blogs and just found out my daughter had harvested her lime tree in Florida and made limeaid and then took a long walk in the hot sun. Her resulting red blistered hands were from the limes. It took an elderly attentive dermatologist who recognized it immediately and said, "Let's talk. What did you do last week?" Thank goodness that was all it was!!!
Excessive exposure to the peel oil of the Tahiti lime may cause dermatitis. Rolling the limes between the hands before squeezing in order to extract more of the juice will coat the hands with oil and this will be transferred to whatever parts of the body are touched before washing the hands. Subsequent exposure to sunlight often results in brown or red areas that itch intensely, and sometimes severe blistering. The sap of the tree and scratches by the thorns may cause rash in sensitive individuals
I am a 27-year old girl in decent shape without any health issues.  I have had eczema for several years on my hands and feet - the dry cracky kind that oddly enough gets worse in the summer than in the winter.  Recently over the last few months, I've started to get very red hands.  It seems to happen more when I use them or when I'm stressed.  But right now, I haven't been using them very much and boom, still red.  See my profile picture for what they look like.

Most of the research I've done and the posts here talk about having white/blue hands too or having the hands be sweaty, which mine are not... just red and warm to the touch.  I had a physical recently and all the bloodwork came back normal except for the fact I am slightly anemic, which I always have been.

Help???
Doctors told me it was fungus. But their treatments did not work. In hot weather or when my feet get hot, they turn red and swell up. They burn and they really worries me. This has been getting worse for the past 5 years. I don't know what to do.
I have tried both dermatologists and other doctors.
im 13 i have been like this since as long as i can remember. i need help. i wear sweaters to school and my mom never takes me to the doctors. i have had strep in the 4t grade, i need help, when i have gym it upsets me because my arms are red and my leg. HELP
Water is the cure! Read along: I am a 23 year old male and I've had this issue since I was about 18. While it varied in intensity and how often it occured, it was usually consistent. Needless to say embarrasing and it hurt sometimes. What I found just recently is it that the cure is nothing more then WATER. Simply DEHYDRATION! Reading into dehydration on independent medical websites, I found that chronic and severe dehydration effect about 92% of the United States resulting in thousands of diseases and ailments that the pharmacutical industry thrives on. Check out Watercure2.org for one of the simple recipes. What you will find on this simple diet is astounding. Weight loss, mental clerity. And no more red! It takes about three days for full effect. I would say its actually a blessing in disguise really. As your body is showing you its dehydrated while others go about getting worse and contracting health ailments. Really is amazing.
I'm 18 and I've had this problem ever since the begging of high school.
I've realized that the temperature in the room has a lot to do with my hands.
When its at 70 degrees = hands turn bright red and get really really hot and sting and burn...it feels like knives are sticking on the back of my hands.
When its lower than 50 degrees= my hands get really really cold and dry up and turn bright blue and purple. And when I shake hands with someone else- they always tell me that my hands feel like ice.

When my hands get really hot and red- I have to run my hands under cold water to take away the pain. but in a few minutes it starts burning again. I've tried lotion- but that makes the pain worse.

I have no idea what kind of medical problem this is- but to share some tips with you to help ease the pain- try turning down the heat or air conditioning in the 60's. And if your hands turn red- try blowing cool air on them or turning on a fan- and let your hands cool off.

If they start turning blue and get all cold- then put on some gloves.

I haven't been to a doctor yet- because I'm afraid they're just going to tell me they have no idea- or that I am perfectly healthy- and I don't feel healthy.

good luck to all of you.
I think everyone should post their Age, sex, weight, and common things that they eat. Maybe then we can figure out what we all have in common.
Guys, try taking a small dose of aspirin in the mornings. I'm 16 and I take 500mg a day to help with high blood pressure, but it also helps with my red hands. It is by no means a cure but can really help get you through the day and help with the redness. Aspirin thins your blood so it has an easier time flowing through your body. Also, make sure to wear gloves in the winter and avoid drastic temperature changes.

Hope it helps!
Pain in my right foot - getting conflicting diagnosis but probably tendonitis in a couple of places where the tendons attach to the bone at the bottom and sides of my foot.  Approx 3 months after this problem the top of my right foot started getting irritated and painful when I try to wear sneakers and walk.  If I stay off my feet it subsides but if I walk it gets worse and worse. Doctors don't have explanation for pain.  When I shower, the top of this right foot turns red - just the right foot which has been injured for 8 months.  I would think this would be a great clue in figuring out why I have pain on the top of this foot and why I can't wear shoes and get up and walk but primary care MD, podiatrist, sports injury MD and physical therapist all say they have no idea why just my right foot turns red in the shower?  The redness goes away quickly after I am out of the shower and is not the problem but the pain trying to walk in shoes is a huge problem and it seems like the redness must have something to do with the issue. Anyone every have this connection confirmed by a doctor?
Did you know: When you blush the bottoms of your feet also turn red.

Blushing is caused when the system that controls the fight or flight response prepares your body to fight or run. Your feet turn red because of the sudden change in temperature due to this response.
could be a liver problem
OK so I have the red/purple hands and feet too but no burning/hot sensation.  I have spent thousands of dollars on doctors and blood tests.  hate how the hands look, HELP
I have had the same symptoms for the past 5-6 years. I'm so glad I found this forum...I've searched and searched and I've finally found something to take back to my doctor. I will definitely research and print out info on erythromalalgia. I agree, it is very embarrassing when people continually ask why my feet are red...it has become slightly more painful the last couple years. I have a Dr appt in 2 weeks so I'll post if I find something that helps:) I'm praying!!!!
Hi. I am glad that I found this forum. I have been experiencing an issue with red, inflamed hands for about five years now. Unfortunately! I have had Raynaud's Syndrome since I was about 10 years old. I am now 32. I feel that the redness problem must be related to the Raynaud's (or possibly a complication or it due to a change in my blood vessels and tissue since I've had the condition for over 20 years now). I used to have both Raynaud's in both my fingers and my toes (although always worse in my hands), but somehow the condition mysteriously stopped affecting my toes within the last few years.
The redness in my hands started happening about five years ago. Recently it has gotten very bad to the point where people have started commenting on it. I also catch people staring at my hands all the time. It's really humiliating, and impossible to hide.
It's not so much the superficial skin that seems red, but it's almost like my blood vessels themselves are inflamed. The veins in my hands have also become much more prominent recently, I've noticed. Sometimes my hands are normal, but the slighest change can make them completely inflamed. I noticed that someone made a comment about the redness happening while eating. This has happened to me quite a bit. It's usually dinner though. However, for me it might be psychosomatic because a few times it happened at random that my hands became extremely red while eating dinner with other people, they then commented on it, and since then I've developed an intense fear that this will happen at meals with other people. So, maybe I am causing it at that particular time by worrying about it too much? I'm definitely not causing it at any other time though. In addition to looking strange, it is also very physically painful and embarrassing. I wish it would just stop! I will look up the condition erythromelalgia. I haven't heard of that before. Thanks for listening and good luck everyone!
Hi again. I posted the above comment. I realized I should have included more medical info about myself. I am 32, female, weigh 115 pounds. I have some minor health issues besides Raynaud's and erythromelalgia. I realized that these issues are cardiovascular-related as well. I have a history of migraines, a slight heart murmur and I also have what I thought was rosacea. However, I have been reading that erythromelalgia can affect the face as well. Maybe I don't have rosacea after all. My face isn't flushed all the time, and I don't really have visible broken capillaries. All of a sudden my face and ears will get extremely flushed due to certain triggers: spicy food, red wine, exercise. I don't know, maybe it is rosacea. I know migraines are a cardiovascular issue. Anyone else suffering from erythromelalgia have an issue with migraines as well?
I also have serious insomnia issues. While I realize that insomnia is neither a cardiovascular nor a neurological issue, maybe the lack of sleep contributes to the severity of my erythromelalgia in some way because my body is under more stress due to the lack of sleep?
Aside from these health issues, I am a relatively healthy person. I'm not overweight, I eat healthy, exercise almost every day, don't smoke. I do usually have a couple glasses of wine per night though. This is my one bad habit. After reading others' posts, I decided not to have any wine last night to see how my hands would react (the hand swelling happens most severely at night for me), and they didn't get as red as they usually do. I don't know if this was psychosomatic though. I will try to cut down on the alcohol though, to see if it does have an effect.
Also, my hand swelling is much worse in the colder months of the year. It barely happens to me in the summer, suprisingly since you'd think the heat would exacerbate it. I really think that my hand erythromelalgia was caused by my having Raynaud's for so many years. I think my blood vessels and nerves in this area had to have been altered by the Raynaud's and that triggered the swelling issue. The fact that the redness/swelling happends more severely to me in the winter leads me to believe the two are related. I have at least one Raynaud's attack per day in the winter (even just going outside for just a few minutes with gloves on). My fingers are hyper-sensitive to the cold. They will turn completely white from the slightest bit of cold, but then alternately they could be completely red, swollen and painful from the erythromelalgia. I wish I could just have normal hands! It affects my working ability, is painful, and it's socially embarrassing.
There is a condition which people (especially teens and 20s) with red, hot feet should think about.  My son (now almost 14) was diagnosed with postural orthostatic tachycardia (POTS) last summer.  He was growing increasingly fatigued, he was extremely heat intolerant, his hands were pale, cold, and clammy, and his legs were often mottled.  He was diagnosed at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.  This year, he started getting the red feet when he stood for any length of time.  We went to a cardiologist who does research on this condition, and during the tilt table test, they found something unusual.  When he was raised to an upright position, his cerebral blood flow fell to 47% which is at the arbitrary threshold for fainting, so they stopped the test.  While he did have the tachycardia response, the mechanism was extraordinary.  

With POTS, when the person stands up, their heart rate goes up (as it does with most people), but the problem is that it doesn't come back down.  This results in the heart not getting full for each beat, so the BP goes down.  Normally, this results in a low BP, but a fairly uniform distribution of blood, just at a weaker pressure.  With my son's case, when he rose, his autonomic system caused his breathing to increase and the blood to move downward from the thorax.  Basically, you have some of the blood that would be in your head going down to your legs, thus causing the redness.  There is not an actual name for this condition, since it is an unusual presentation of POTS, but since a lot of doctors don't correctly recognize POTS, it could occur more often.  The doctor is trying a vasoconstrictor on my son to control this defect in control of cerebral blood flow, so we'll see if that works.  

My advice is that if you show signs of dizziness when you stand up and/or are heat intolerant, you should explore the possibility of POTS with a doctor.
Hi there,

I agree with your posts....doesn't seem like anyone has replied to you.  I have had the same problems since I was a young child.  I am now 39 yrs old and it has progressed.  I also have raynauds phenomenon.  I most definitely have erythromelalgia.  There isn't much that can be done but just pain management.  I also have small fiber neuropathy which usually goes hand in hand with this.  I can't be in the heat it just escalates it terribly.  I have burnt my hands on occasion in the oven on the racks not even knowing I have touched them as they burn so much.  The only way to alleviate the burning is the put them in cold water or in ice.  I have been put on a channel blocker as the burning is vascular but there really isn't much that can be done.  If you go on youtube and put in erythromelalgia you will see a few things on it.  A young girl has posted stuff on it about hers she is now on methadone for her pain as she has problems walking....I soo know about that!  When its really bad it feels like I am walking on glass!  Check it out!
Hi. Thanks for responding to my comment, and for the info as well. I would try putting my hands in ice water, except that would trigger an attack of Raynaud's. What is the name of the channel blocker you were prescribed, if you don't mind me asking? I have never taken any medication for these issues, but recently they have gotten so severe that I may be forced to. Have you had any side effects from this medication?
Luckily, the Raynaud's and erythromelalgia are restricted solely to my hands. I do not have issues with it in my feet. But, then again, everyone can see my hands. I haven't looked into small fiber neuropathy - thanks for this tip. I could possibly have this as well.
I hope you find some relief to your problems. Thanks again.
Hi there,

I'm male & 37y.o. For the past 4 weeks, both of my palms are red & itchy and occasionally it happened to my feet too especially in the evening after dinner. I have done several blood tests (including elisa for HIV, hormone test) & the only bad result was high cholesterol level. I was worried about liver inflammation and had done ultrasound scan and fibroscan on my liver. Both the result were fine, except for fatty liver which could be attributed to the high cholesterol level.

I noticed that when I raised my hands above the heart level, it'll turn to normal. The minute I lowered my hands, I can practically feel the blood flowing down to my palms.

So, I'm just wondering if there's any other tests that I should perform to find a treatment.

Thanks for sharing..
69 year old male. take no drugs except a little caffeine and an aspirin now and then. morphine and pain killers for several days after breaking wrist 5 years ago. Take no drugs whatsoever.

Recently noticed right foot real red when getting ready for bed. A week or two later noticed red (almost pink) toes both feet while getting ready for bed. No inflamation or swelling or pain either time. No symptoms for about three weeks now.

Only change in habits preceding redness was my eating a couple of boiled large squashes and reutabagas over several days.

Body seems OK. Mind still seeks metaphysical explanations. Fan of Carl Sagan.

Oh, both lower back molars below gums for some time now. Pain there when brushing or chewing. Going on for a couple of years now.

Debilitating, radiating midsection towards back pain recurred several times this past fall/winter lasting a week or so. Bad stiffness. Similar (less intense) symptoms have occurred once a year on average all my life. Intuition tells me muscle/ligament(tendon?) connections around hips wearing down. (Did lots of shoveling snow this winter but loved it.) Heart seems good. Regular stretching out back of legs seems to keep this abdominal/hip debilitation from developing.

Thank you for your attention.
Mike Coughlin
This might be caused by a bad circulatory system. I get the same thing, besides having hyperhidrosis, lol. My feet are red almost all the time (and sweaty), especially in summer when it's very warm and such. I think it's caused by blood going to the extremes of your body, like hands and feet par example.
Unfortunately, I guess there's nothing much you can actually do! But in the evening (after a tiresome day) you can lay on the bed and lift your legs up - massage them gently, try to get your blood to flow back. I heard it's good for a somewhat healthy blood flow.
I just figured this out and it has taken me months.  Same symptoms.  My fingertips were extremely wrinkled, my feet and hands are red/hot.  I have blamed everything, caffeine, my cholesterol drug, foot fungus.  It all started after my 12 th dose of chemotherapy and developed neuropathy of my fingers/toes.

So,,, I found out under stress that Cortisol is to blame.  Cortisol is released when one is under stress.  They symptoms are thinner skin, hence my skin erosion on the fingers, the red/hottness of the feet/hands.

I did go to a skin doctor and had gotten a dose pack of Predisone.  I actually felt better during that, but back to the same symptoms once that dose pack was done.  Predisone impacts the Adrenal glands which makes Cortisol.  My Onocologist has prescribed Amytrypline (sp). which is an old Antidepressant but is used for pain, migraines, depression and a host of other items.  I have put it off, but may bite the bullet and go that route.  Hope this helps, I know what you are going through.
The Candida diet is a cure all. Everyone on here should try it. I did for several years and all symptoms were gone after approx. 4 months of not eatting sugars, dairy and wheat products.. Going back to whole foods was the best thing I had ever done for myself in my whole life!
For two years now I have been eatting crappy and went totally off the candida diet which was suggest to me by a very well known homeopathic doctor in Long Beach, CA Dr. Jeffrey Mitchell.
I am going to get back on it soon. Homeopathic Med. is fairly expensive but so is our health insurance and traditional docs. just use the bandaid approach on our symptoms instead the cure.  
I kinda have the same problem everyone was talking about. glad i found this forum. Im 18 and male. Everyone always comments on my red hands. i'm colorblind so i never notice lol. but my hands also sweat alot and so do my feet. plus when i let my arms hang at my sides it gets worse, and they feel heavy. the veins in my arms and hands stick out alot too. will asprin help maybe?
this Happens to me aswell usualy when i am infront of my computer playing games or just doing homework ect my hands would turn red and start to burn only thing that helps is running cold water on them can anyone help me please its getting a pain in the neck
i have hot hands and feet it drives me mad !!!!! but i have LUPUS and it is always worse when i am having an attack.
Thank you, my little boy too has had this problem.. Sometimes his legs.. then he came down with a virus, then a horrible rash that covered his body.. as it cleared the last was his legs, and then his feet.. But what did help was putting him on Silver Biotics.. I will consider the milk next time.. THANK YOU
It sounds like you all have what they call Peripheral Vascular Disease; other's may have neuropathy. PVD generally causes redness of the extremities (hands and feet) when they are dominant (down; dangling). When they are elevated the redness will usually fade out and a snowy white color will appear and the extremities may even turn cold. Another color seen with PVD is "Rubor". This pertains to the purplish color that develops after the redness.

The best advice is to get a lipid profile done. If it's neuropathy, you will also experience this redness, burning and numbing sensation. Neuropathy can develop for several reasons, the biggest being Diabetes types 1 and 2. It pretty much happens when blood vessel damage occurs.

Red swollen extremities may also be a sign of Lupus; especially when it appears on the face. If nodules are present, especially on the hands, it's usually Rheumatoid arthritis...both Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis can cause swelling, especially in the fingers, giving them a sausage like appearance.

I hope this information has helped. The best advice ever, is to change your diet. Drink filtered water, avoid sugar as much as possible, and consume plenty of raw fruits and vegetables. Also, get your exercise! IF anyone is taking medications, do some research on them. What you are experiencing may actually be related to side effects from these medications.
Burning hands/feet are also a sign/symptom of Fabry Disease. Please look it up. Another obvious sign are red "blood" bumps mainly appearing on the chest/abdomen, but eventually can be all over.  Decreased sweating is also another 'main sign'. Please everyone, look into it.
I too have this redness in my hands an toes but i get like a pins an needles feeling in my toes my hands feel tingley does anyone else get this they dont burn or sweat just red an pins an needles feeling
I have had my hands red and sometimes purple too, my feet are purple more and more nowadays and it scares me cos im only 18 , ive had it for few years now and its really embarrasing the curious thing is i noticed that ive started to develop that as my eyesight worsened together with other symptos like never ending exhaustion and sleep problems, i can sleep for ages but sleep never revitalises me fully, i also get headaches and get tired my eyes get tired really quickly so i just wanted whether that  is related because i have read that bad eyesight can cause many different health problems as the eyes are connected with the organism as a whole in a reallay specific way and theres even a branch of medicine that specifically focuses on predicting and diagnosing different health issues just by looking in the lense/iris of an eye?! So to the point, i was wondering whether any of you people that are experiancing red/purple extremeties are also suffering from sight problems, its very important for me.thanks and sorry for possible mistakes, english is my second language.
I have the same problem except it is only my feet that are red and hot. I always have to have a fan blowing on my feet. My doctors don't know why either. When my feet get red and hot it makes it very hard to walk. I have used witch hazel that does take some of the heat out of my feet but it does not last ever long. Any suggestion, I would greatly appreciate.
I understand what everyone who has posted here is going through.  I have been dealing with the same symptoms (both red, hot hands/feet and raynauds) for the last five years.  It got to the point where I would avoid certain situations, foods, etc. because my hands would turn red.  I am a healthy female in her mid-30s, low cholesteral, low/normal blood pressure, normal weight, etc. except for the red hands and feet.  

I found out that my iron levels were low about 8 months ago and started taking an iron supplement and at the same time started taking fish oil capsules.  Within a month or so, I noticed that my hands and feet weren't turning red and hot anymore.  After several months of experimenting, I am convinced that the fish oil (Omega 3s) are the reason I am no longer painfully suffering from the red hands and feet.  I don't know exactly why it is helping, but I would suggest that anyone who is dealing with the same issues give fish oil capsules a try.  I take the lemon flavored capsules (1,000mg) from Whole Foods.  I'd love to hear if this is helpful for anyone else.  

I've recently just started to develop some of the symptoms, very minor though. THe first symptom was how hot and red my feet would be whenever I got out of the shower or spa. Like red red. Then a while ago I woke up in the middle of the night and my feet with so incredibly itchy and red. I assumed I broke out in hives. Then just the other night I woke up and my feet felt like they were on fire and my mom even noticed how red they were. They feel slightly numb/hot when I experience this.
From reading this whole thread, I think it's safe to say it has something related to our diet or circulatory/blood flow? It is only in my feet, but I'm not going to be more aware and cautious if it appears on my hands. I'm a little scared! I'm going to do more research definitely.
Hi, I'm 15 (soon to be 16) and I've just recently noticed all of these symptoms appearing. My hands, particularly around my knuckles, will get really red, and feel hot sometimes, but they're never really itchy. After my hands turn red, the inside of my forearms quickly follow, and it's awful. It's so awkward that I usually just put my jacket on, because I can't very well sit in study hall with my hands above my head, or run around dunking my arms in ice water every hour. Putting the jacket on makes me hotter, though, which makes it worse, and I still can't hide my hands!
I've tried everything. I used to carry moisturizing lotion, but that never really helped. I used to try to press my hands against the cold metal on my chair, to cool them down, but that never helped at all. When I can, I run to the bathroom, and run some cold water on them, but still, even that rarely helps. Usually, lifting my hands above my head does help, but like I said, I can't do that in class, which means I just have to sit there, feeling like my hands are on fire, and dealing with all the akward stares from kids around me.
This is so stressful. I just want to find a cure--a permanent cure. I'm tired of always hiding my hands, and sweating to death in my sweat when it's already 80 degrees in the room, and just sitting there, waiting and hoping for the redness to go away. It's uncomfortable. It's akward. I don't care if it's Raynauds, or Erythromelalgia, or whatever--I just want a cure.
Thanks to everyone for letting me know I'm not alone, and at least someone knows what this is! Please, though, if you know how to fix it--not what it is, I don't care what it is--but some sort of permanent, or otherwise long lasting cure, please, please tell me!

My advice to everyone else with this is, stay strong. It *****, but it's not the end of the world, though it feels like it. There are fleshed colored gloves for exactly this, to hide the coloring, and lotion can help the hot feeling. There will be a cure one day, I'm sure. Much love!
-Jenn
To everyone here, I had the same thing for over 3 years and slowing taking over my life. I had a bit of money to blow so I went for a massive search to highest paid doctors and didn’t hold back. I haven’t found a cure but this had 85% reduced the hot/red hands and feet: D, So Read on and lets it HARD..

1. Reduce Stress –  I went on a 6 month holiday which helped the most out of all this (must be a warm place, somewhere over summer) you really have to unwind and find things to take your mind of it.
2. Fish oil tablets - GOOD quality tablets and a higher dose 1500mg and take 4/6 tablets a day
3. Rosdyn - Start off with a small dose and up it gradually to 2 capsules morning and 2 capsules night.
4. Memax capsules and GliSODin capsules - one of each before breakfast lunch and dinner. (3 capsules a day)
5. Nutrition - I have being eating very healthy, make sure you eat a BALANCED diet to ensure you are getting all you nutrients.. moderate protein (e.g. eggs, pink salmon, chicken) moderate carbohydrate (e.g. whole oats, beans, lentils, wholemeal type breads) high health fats (e.g. AVOCADOS walnuts, sun flower seeds, pink salmon) all these food should be fresh and preferably organic. Also you must have loads and loads of vegetable and fruits, choose the best kinds like broccoli spinach Brussel sprouts and for fruits, a lot of berries apples bananas (just Google the most nutritious fruits and vegies is the best way to find out)
6. Exercise - I either cycle of swim for 1 hr. ever second day (this really gets the circulation going) and do about 45 min weight traiingin3/4 times weeks when I don’t do cardiovascular type training.

If you do all that at once, it should help. Well it helped me a lot so I had to post. Good Luck and keep me posted on your results I want to see if my plan helps any one else out there. :D
I have the same problem and I dont know what to do. I've put lotion on my hands and feet because I thought maybe it's because my skin is dry but that didnt help at all. But I did notice when I moved my hands around they started to turn a little less red. I'm 11 and no one has said anything about it yet but I know they are wondering why my hands are red. It's really embarrasing! Does anyone have any suggestions? Please.
I have the same problem. I have had it for about my whole life. I never really bothered to ask Doctors about it because I really don't think about it unless I want to wear heels or flip flops. I can't see it having to do anything with what I eat because I'm vegan. No meat, no cheese, no eggs, and no milk. So it's nothing I'm eating. And the red color is there no matter how the weather is. I could be in a normal temp. room and it will still be there.
I am 14 and I have this to. Had it i think my whole life. They are nearly always red but cold and sometimes hot but most of the time just, cold and red. It's so embarrassing everyone is always looking at my hands. I have enough to worry about.
It could be your liver, kidney failure and/or your gall blader. Liver failure causes circulation problems I've read. A distended abdomen. I have the same symptoms and have had them since Aug. 2005. My symtoms have been getting progressively worse. I am at this time contemplating going to emergency and demanding tests and a diagnosis. It has been scarry, living in limbo, difficult because I look fine and my husband is tired of hearing me say I don't feel well, believe he tinks I have become a hypocondriac, my DR. as well.

My symptoms develop while I sleep. My entire body turns red and flushed looking, I can lay on my arms and don't feel a difference due to lack of circulation from pressure. I wake up with creases on my body. Realize now this is due to water retention and is called "pitting". Recent symptom is a distended abdomen upon waking, like I'm pregnant. Have read this can indicate liver failure. However, I have never drank alcohol. I have been on Effexor for 8 years, maybe this is damaging my liver. Tried to get off it but got sick so went back on.

I've really given up. Taking one day at a time. So very tired can't get through the day. . .

Cookie
I have the same thing plus extreme soreness in my fingers.  I have been sent to a dozen specialists and the best thing they can come up with is something called Erythramelalgia and Raynaud's.  Try looking this up it may be very helpful.  I have also tried many different types of medication, the best one so far is called Cymbalta.  Do you also have a reaction to the sun, alcohol, stress etc... as these things give me quick massive flareups.  How often do you all get flareups?
Thanks for reading.
Am
I am 16. and 5 foot. i am only 100 pounds, so i am not over weight. i have Gerd. and i am Lactose intolerance. i have skin sensitivity, when i shower my skin gets red patches all over, i have had this for maybe a year, i just thought it was normal untill my cousin pointed it out. she had Reynauds, so did my dad. but i don't think i have it. Reynauds is like being illegic to the cold.

but for me my hands are always freezing unless my body temerature changes. physically actitvity, being under a blanket, standing by a heater, and such

i reaally would like to know what i have. i have  been looking up stuff and came acrossthis,. someone help,

also could my other disasess have something to do with this
can someone tell me why i cant post my question? im  signed in and click on post question and it says file not found ...ugh help please
it finally worked, thanks
hi jen my name is andrew u should call me if u like i got the same problem i jus would like to know a lot about ur situation an i will compare it to mine call if u want 505-730-0160
   You should contact a rheumatilogist or a hematologist   That sounds exactly like raynouds syndrome or disease..... basically. Something is triggering your blood to clot (mostly caused by cool or cold weather)  or an autoimmune problem (basically your body treating itself as an allergic trigger) but either way it is important to get it checked you might need blood thinners or steroids to keep your body in check and keep you safe!
Kiddo you need to get checked for reynouds too.  If your having symptoms like cold feet and hands so they can treat you.  Another way to look at it is part of blood banking ... studying blood for clotting issues.
   Pretty much everyone knows you can't get a transfusion of type a blood if you are type b.... or it attacks each other and clots!  There are other types of bad clotting issues 1and being cold agultanates... basically it is a part of the whole idea of a bad cross reaction of blood type a and b don't match... if your blood has a cold aglutanate in it once your blood falls below a certain temp it has a bad cross reaction with itself and then blood cells clot/ or stick together (It is like a log jam in your smallest blood vessels)  
    Just like blood type is inherited these cold aglut.  Can be inherited these so thank your dad for his genes and you will always know he's your dad!  The doctor can often help and where so many people in your family have it my guess is you do too look for clinical studies they can help you understand more... good much kiddo
Any one here from Sydney Australia?If so private msg me please. would like to have a chat as I do have the same problem and its really bothering me..
Look up the condition Erythromealgia.org--this also may be mercury poisoning--you'll see that on this website.  

Suzanne with red hands and feet! I hate it!
My problem was caffeine toxicity affecting the adrenal glands, causing a problem.   Don't touch tea or coffee now.
He i have the same problem ..it started by red ears and now it goes to the hands and the feet too. My face is also red now and was diagnosed as rosacea. it's more easy to dee on the face for a doctor but actually my earlobe and the end of my fingers are red. I tried many doctors and noone can't find something.
Also with all of those thing there is two others symptoms and i was wondering if someone also had those symptoms/
1. my beds and sheets smell a lot and the smell doesn't go away with the washmachine
2. My clothes pilling a lot since the symptoms appeared

IS there someone who experiences those problems?
sorry for my english, i m french.
thnaks
Pierre
Hi, my problem is very similar, when I am standing or sitting (and it doesn't have to be for a prolonged amount of time), my feet and hands will turn a purplish/red and tingle severely. It feels like pinpricks. I have experienced this as long as I can remember. My hands aren't as bad as my feet. But just as you said, when I elevate them above my heart, the normal color returns to them. Sometimes I will have mild swelling with this, also. I actually went to my doctor today (3/22/12) because I have having problems with my heart (severe lightheadedness, fainting, rapid heart rate, low blood pressure), she said that it is possible that my problems with my feet/hands and heart are connected. She threw out a few possibilities at me such as mitrovalve prolapse and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). I am still waiting to be referred to the cardiologist. Hope that I find some answers. And if and when I do, I will be sure to post.  

In reading this I was thinking POTS, but see ur Dr said the same thing....there is a forum here where u can get more info on this and related topics....

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Dysautonomia-Autonomic-Dysfunction/show/266?controller=forums&action=show&id=266&camp=msc
thank you for your post. i have the same thing. I think your on the right track. My mom has the same thing and has been to several doctors. At first they thought Lupis, then then finally they settled on fibromyagia.My email is ***@****. If you ever get a correct diagnosis would you please e-mail me the info? my hmo is clueless. also i have other symptoms as muscle aches, stiffness depression (im 53 and have never been depressed before) pain keeps me awake. motrin helps but now my stomach is raw from it. i ice my hands and feet to cool off burning. Do you also have these symptoms? I feel like a hypocondriac. it was nice to see that others are also searching for solutions. thanks for sharing. maybe if there's enough of us someone will come up with a real answer.
I'm a little girl who has it too I get imbarresd too

The info below is from medicationsense.com

medicationsense.com

Red hands and feet
It is telling that EM occurs in the specific heat exchange areas of the body -- feet, hands, ears, nose - which the body uses to blow off excess heat. Blood vessels in these areas open, heat is dissipated, and the vessels narrow again. This usually occurs imperceptibly.

The human system functions optimally within a narrow range of internal temperatures around 98.6F (37C). What if the temperature rises much higher, as can occur when a person runs a marathon or hikes in the desert in summer? The body can overheat, and if severe, hyperthermia develops. Hyperthermia is a dangerous, life-threatening state. The body must cast off heat and quickly. To do so it initiates emergency actions that include a massive, maximum opening of the arteries in the heat exchange areas of the body. In seconds, the body can increase blood flow in these areas of the skin up to 32 times normal. Blood flow can skyrocket from one-quarter to eight liters per minute, an increase of 3200%. This mechanism is built into our systems to save our lives during hyperthermia. The point is that in hyperthermia, massive vasodilation in the heat exchange areas is normal!

But it is not normal under other circumstances. The massive vasodilation, causing the heat, redness, and burning pain of EM is not normal. At 70F, the skin of the feet and hands should remain cool. At 80 or 90F, the skin might become a bit warm and moist but otherwise normal. Yet in EM, the body reacts at 70F as if hyperthermia were occurring. Why is this? Clearly, the mechanism in the nervous system that regulates blood flow to these heat exchange areas is dysfunctional. It unleashes the skin reaction as if the temperature was 120F and hyperthermia was occurring. The regulator is off. The reaction is an aberration of a normal response.

Is there any proof of this hypothesis? There are two intriguing pieces of evidence. I have always wondered why the reaction responds so quickly to cooling. The ease with which EM's symptoms can be reversed is astonishing. And why does cooling work so well? Because it sends a specific signal to the hyperthermia regulator that all is well. Heat is the trigger. Cold is the antidote, temporarily, but not a cure.

Another piece of evidence is that the primary chemical mediator of the massive vasodilation in the skin in hyperthermia is nitric oxide. And in EM, what is the main mediator of increased blood flow? Nitric oxide.

This explanation is just a hypothesis, but it seems to have merit. The concept of a dysfunctional hyperthermia trigger makes sense and offers a medically reasonable explanation for the development of EM. In addition, it offers patients and doctors a logical a way to understand this baffling and often disabling disorder, erythromelalgia. Hopefully it will lead to new avenues of research and treatment for those of us with EM, which is a dysfunction, not a disease.
Im fifteen and my hands often turn red at seemingly random times. I also get blotchy skin when its cold. Also, i get dizzy when standing up after lying down for some time. Does it have something to do with circulation? These are only minor inconveniences but i would like to know what it means.
The only help is BIOFEEDBACK. It really works, but it has to be done on daily basis otherwise symptoms will come back.
im 43 and have been experiencing red swollwn hands/ cold purple hands for around 2 years. Even on a quite mild day my hands could turn purple both palms and back. On a warm day they can easily overheat to the point where I have to pour cold water on them to alleviate the discomfort. This can also happen after exercise. People have started to notice and it is a little embarassing. Other than that my health is ok think. Im not overweight, dont drink alcohol for the past 2 years, smoke 15 cigarteetes a day (not healthy  know). I have taking EFFexor for around 8 years for depression, Lipitor for 2 years and an ACE inhibitor for mild hypertension for around 4 years. I do suffer from occassional tremor attacks where my hands would feel very shaky (more pronounced in the left hand). These attacks have also been happenning for about 2 years.  

Im gonna look into everything Ive seen posted on the sight. Thanks a million for posting your experiences.  feel less alone!!! Thank you!
I'm female, in my early 20s and live in australia.  I've been experiencing redness in my hands for a few years now, but don't have any problem with my feet.  my hands (and sometimes ears) are most red when i enter a very warm room, when i take a shower, when i wash my hands, etc.  sometimes i get a tingling feeling in my hands and when it's very cold my fingertips go numb (or i get pins and needles).  when i was a child my palms used to be very fair, but ever since i was in my late teens they are always red.  

the doctors dont have much info about it, but they recommended that i wear gloves (as mine is worse in winter).  basically, they said that i am extra sensitive to heat/cold.  i noticed that if i wash my hands with cold/hot water it turns even more red, but if i wash my hands in lukewarm water my hands are fine.  it makes a huge difference!  but it can be frustrating, because it means i have to stand at the tap for a few minutes before the hot water comes out of the tap, and then i have to adjust the water until it is the exact temperature i need.  really annoying if im in a hurry and doesnt help with the water bill

anyways, i've read everyones post and i noticed that a few of you think it's caused by allergies (eg lactose or chemicals in paint).  i think i'll try experimenting with that one first.  i'm allergic to almost everything, but i've been using hand cream with fragrance even though it makes me sneeze(because im stubborn and friends keep buying me girly things like that and i dont want it to go to waste lol).  i'll see if this is the cause and will switch to non-fragrant hand cream.  now that i think about it, the redness started about the same time i started applying it. And it would also explain why the problem is with my hands and NOT my feet.

I'll let you guys know if it works :)
I just went to a vascular/cardiologist yesterday for the exact same concerns. I remember having it when I was younger and it is always embarrassing because people ask what is wrong with my feet. I am a 25 year old female. I have noticed and alcohol can also make these symptoms happen at night and I wake up feeling hot and my feet and hands are extra hot. Anyways, the vascular dr and a podiatrist both thought it was a variant of raynaud's. I told the  vascular dr that I found erythromelalgia and he researched it with me and seems to think it is possible. I will be going back for tests to check veins in my legs. Basically to rule other things out. After that he wants to to see a rheumatologist and maybe a hematologist. Also, I bright this up to my dermatologist who said I should talk to my primary care dr. I have talked to my primary care dr about this who brushed it off and said I just intake too much sodium. The vascular de yesterday even said it wouldn't be from too much sodium because the redness and hot/cold feet couldn't be explained from the sodium. He said if it was just swelling then maybe it would be sodium, but not in my case. If you are lucky like me to be able to self refer to specialist than great! If you need a referral from your primary care.. Make sure you find one that is concerned like you, listens to you and takes the time to help figure it out!
Somebody will definitely love you even though you feel your hands are not perfect! I promise :)
Thank you for this!
I didn't even look to see how long ago all this was posted, but this helped me today. I have the exact symptoms of the original poster and have been searching for an answer. This really looks like a positive direction to pursue.
I am 42 year old woman. I too have the same symptoms: red hand that burn, I have Raynaud's where my fingers and toes turn white and then red. This has been going on for 10 years. In the past 3 years I have had a finger and toes swell and stay swollen anywhere from 1 month to 3 months with doctors and podiatrist stumped, having cortisone shots and MRIs that show nothing. That is until I did some research and had my doctor run some tests for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have gone to a rheumatologist where I have been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. Be very careful to not waste money and insurance if any symptoms  you are having sound like mine. My doctor years ago said Raynaud's is a precursor to arthritis.
I was told steroids was the only treatment for this because it is an auto-immune disorder and that means your immune system is attacking the skin. I work in an ER I am a laboratory tech and have talked with many nurses and doctors. I have auto-immune disorders myself. My hands are always red and get worse with STRESS and drinking. Recently my hands turned purple while at work and was tested for blood clots. I have Raynauds not blood clots. I also have other auto immune disorders like mild psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis etc. I have had SEVERAL tests done to get these diagnosis and basically realized it is my immune system and everything weird that my body does is my IMMUNE SYSTEM. I do not take steroids anymore because it made me gain weight and isn't good to take for long periods of time. While I was on them though, I had ZERO skin problems, no swelling, or any other issues. I felt great. Basically it comes down to this, either keep spending money on doctors who will run tons of tests, or get ONE blood test done called ANA. If it is positive, your immune system is attacking you and the only way to stop it is suppressing it with steroids. You can either take the medication and deal with the side effects...or deal with the problems you are having with your skin. I chose to deal with my disorders without medication, but if it is something severe you may want to take medication. There are many auto immune disorders! If you have a positive ANA result see a rhematologist if you are concerned.
OMG, that makes perfect sense. I've had this horrible cough for a long time and a few months ago the doctor said I have a walking pneumonia.I took the antib, felt a little better, but the cough is still there and my throat burns I am 32, and I, also,have red burning hands (top of my fingers mainly).They look like I got sunburned or even burned, but they are dry and cracked. Top of my toes gets red as well. My hands are always very cold, otherwise. And my feet as well. Extremely cold. I had a baby a year ago, and had gained a lot of weight. I'm just trying to report all the changes that happened in my life, hoping somene will finally be "I know what that is".I don't drink enough water, and do smoke and drink a glass of wine here and there. I'm going to have my doc check if I have strept. thx
IM NOT ALONE!!!! For around 3 years now- scince having my twins ive been getting more and more aggrevated by my red,purple, numb hands and feet! ive always had cold toes anyway but 2years ago i noticed it showing worse in the hot weather- where as i used to look forward to the warm sun geting to them- now im thinking ill be wearing shoes and not my flip-flops! i also had what girls at school would call "corned-beef legs" and wasnt the only one in that cold gymnasium with thin skin- but at least the summer warmed me up and i could wear a skirt with nice colour legs! now they dnt look so good -my knees are purple colur as well as my feet! ??? even a spry tan didnt work last yar and i worked in a beauty salon! whats going on!  
I have found the cure to this. I have had this problem for many years but not anymore.

My feet and hands would swell and turn red and even purple on their own. I observed that it happens randomly.

It is called edema which is water accumulation (and thus blood) in the body cells. It is due to EXCESSIVE SODIUM which you and I cant tolerate very well. Sodium prevents you from urinating and thus the liquids get trapped in the body.

Cure is: STRICTLY LIMIT YOUR SODIUM. Do not eat any table salt or any salty foods for a couple of days. This includes beans which are naturally high in sodium and you should see some promising results.

Give it a try. Anyone that has success with this let me know by messaging me or emailing me and SPREAD THE WORD.
hello - interesting idea - cutting out the salt !! shall give a try !. although i dont use salt for cooking - and i sweat out at curves -my exercise club -at least two times a week.. i dont over eat and i have active 4year old twins. Have read so many different ways to help - and i suppose everyone is different - do you know anything about Raynauds / reumatic /artheritic stuff matey?? my doc is useless -if you even get an appointment that is! AM OPEN TO ANY OPINION'S - from anyone atall .. about diet , changes , medication ANYTHING!!! THANKYOU!!!  
Thats what happens to me and 10 minutes later it disappires
I think it is weird that this condition and variation just showed up in two members of our family, myself with white, numb index finger mostly and a little bit of the middle finger next to it on my right hand. It suddenly occurred about 3  1/2 weeks ago one evening. I rubbed my hand and ithey came back to normal pink/beige color.  It didin't return that day.  A week or so later, again the right index finger turned numb and white.  I clapped my hands that time -- it took a while and more clapping but the color came back and numbness eventually left.  Then the next day again, same finger.  I was freaked.
Now in the morning as I drive to school, I am wearing gloves to avoid hands from getting cold because I connected this to hands getting cold because I couldn't think of any other reason. Frostbite? THen I read about Reynauds.  Will make an appointment.  BUT THE MOST odd thing, today I glanced down and noticed my 23 year old son's hands on the computer keyboard were bright red -- all fingers and tops of hands up to the palms and portions of the hand very warm to the touch.I asked him what happened to his hands, if he'd burned them in hot water. He didn't seem too concerned as if he was used to this.  How weird that we are both experiencing this at the same time??  Is this an environmental phenomenon?  How many people are experiencing this?  I'd never heard of these things 5 years ago. Do doctors have a clue? Are more people getting this? Are we poisoning ourselves?  I am creeped out.  
Have you gotten better from the Lyme?  I am suffering and scared.  Seeing LLMD but have red left hand and side.. See darker out of my left eye?  On lots of meds.  Just wanted to see how you are doing
My 12 year old daughter's nose turns beat red and you can actually feel heat rise from it. She gets teased at school because of it. Her hands and feet also get red and hot but not always at the same time. I'm trying to find a cause but most of the post are just hands and feet. its just random.
WOW.. I am 35.. I have Red Hands. Red Feet.. Red Ears.. and they are HOT! At times when I sleep I will sweat and temperatures bother me. Especially when they are warm. As a child I constantly had strep! I don't feel sick and only go to see a Dr. only when I am sick. I don't really care for western medicine, but know at times it is needed. Thank you for your post. I can most certainly see why the ears would be heated and of all when the arms are low and well your feet are to especially when walking why the blood flow would flow to these area's. And yes you can have step throat and not know. Heck I have had a few irritation in my throat and inner ears but no real fever or feeling of.. Oh No.. I think I may be sick. Thank you again for this. I think it's time to visit the Dr. Ugh.. Dr.'s don't care for most but
Think the chronic cough is link to Ra. Ra is a unique form of chronic arthritis that is associated with inflammation and destruction of the joints.
Let's put our heads together, compare notes, compare history and solved this         once and for all. As a team we can get better and faster results.

If the immune system is attacking the skin, we need to correct the immune  
system, nothing else once we figure how to do that, then everything should
be back to normal. we need to study how the immun