Neurology Community
Red toes and fingers?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Red toes and fingers?

Someone directed me to the neurology section for my question, not entirely sure but here it goes.

About a year and a half ago I noticed that my toes and fingers got very red, a flush red. There is no itching, It doesn't hurt( I still have excellent feeling in them), there is no purple color, and the cap refill on the nail beds refill in less than 1 second. I'm 23 years old (5 foot 10 inches and sitting at 188lbs) and this all started when I got into a decent 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour exercise routine. other than having a flush red look, I have no problem with them.

My question all in all is, Should I be worried, in terms of a poor circulation or is the circulation not poor? I know there are plenty of variables and any point in a direction would help. Thanks for your time.
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there. Since you have change in color of fingers and toes when exposed to vigorous exercise, which is a type of stress, you need to check for a blood supply related cause. The various possible causes are berger’s disease, chilblains, peripheral artery disease, raynaud’s phenomenon, connective tissue disorders like scleroderma and systemic lupus erythematosus. You need to quit smoking if you are a smoker, certain blood tests like complete blood count, differential counts, anti nuclear antibody test and x-ray of hands and feet would be needed. Hope this helps. Take care.