The U.S.-NIH/NLM allows quoting of medical research published on their site (PubMed) for educational purposes and all of the quotes that follow are from their site, with exception of the short quote I've added by the AAFP. I thought this might be of interest for hypothyroid patients like myself. It shows that endocrine disorders in addition to diabetes are strongly associated with neurological problems.
(Note: In some studies, myopathy and/or neuropathies did not resolve or only did so partially in 'treated' hypothyroid patients and in my opinion, this is likely the case more often in autoimmunity cases of hypothyroidism.)
(American Academy of Family Physicians):
"Muscle weakness is a common complaint among patients presenting to the family physician’s office. Although the cause of weakness occasionally may be apparent, often it is unclear, puzzling the physician and frustrating the patient."
Pain and small-fiber neuropathy in patients with hypothyroidism (U.S. National Library of Medicine – PubMed) --- “Conclusions: Some patients treated for hypothyroidism have symptoms and findings compatible with small-fiber neuropathy or "hyperphenomena" indicating central sensitization. …of Eighteen patients…Eight were classified as having large fiber neuropathy…”
1. Hypothyroidism and polyneuropathy. (U.S. National Library of Medicine – PubMed) --- “Using standard electrophysiological criteria, a definite diagnosis of polyneuropathy was made in 28 cases (72%). The commonest sites of abnormal nerve conduction were the sensory nerves, especially the sural nerve.”
2. Hypothyroid neuropathy and myopathy: clinical and electrodiagnostic longitudinal findings. (U.S. National Library of Medicine – PubMed) --- “This case shows that thyroid hormone replacement eliminates the neuropathic manifestations of severe hypothyroidism. In contrast, the myopathic features, such as weakness and muscle wasting, may persist despite maintenance of the euthyroid state.”
3. Neuromuscular status of thyroid diseases: a prospective clinical and electrodiagnostic study. (U.S. National Library of Medicine – PubMed) --- Among the thyroid patients, 17 (42.5%) patients were diagnosed with mononeuropathy and polyneuropathy. Entrapment neuropathy was observed in 30% and diffuse neuropathy in 10% of the patients. Myopathy findings were observed in 2 patients.
4. Aspects of peripheral nerve involvement in patients with treated hypothyroidism. (U.S. National Library of Medicine – PubMed) --- “RESULTS: Sixty-three per cent of the patients with 'pure' hypothyroidism had abnormalities on NCS, 25% had reduced IENF density and 31% had abnormalities on QST. Four patients (25%) met criteria for small fibre polyneuropathy, the other (75%) were classified as having mixed fiber polyneuropathy.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.