Results of MRI
I recently had an MRI of my brain.  My doctor mailed the results to me because I was out of town and he could not get me by phone.
I am very confused and do not understand the medical jargon in the letter.
I have scattered foci of increased signal throughout the periventricular and subcortical white matter bilaterally.
There is an area of increased T2 signal in the region of the left internal and external capsule which shows no significant restricted diffusion and no abnormal mass effect
Probably this is related to chronic ischemia.
Those three findings have me totally confused and I would appreciate any help you may be able to give me.

Thank you so much for your help and have a blessed day.
.
Hi!
Usually, non-specific scattered foci of increased signals in periventricular and sub-cortical white matter are of no clinical significance. However they may indicate changes seen in multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's or Wilson's Disease, migraine headaches, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Please discuss with your treating doctors. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.