Results of a MRI
I have a question, that I hope someone can anwser for me.  My grandmother has been having minor storkes, and this is what her doctor reported to her after her MRI and I am just curious to know if you could explain this to me a little bit better than how they have it written.  

Findings

The ventricles were noraml in size.   There were scattered small T2 and flair hyperintense foci periventricular deep white matter and centrum semiovale bilaterally consistent with small vessel ischemic versus senescent changes.  A very small chronic lacunar infract in the right thalamus and right aspect of the pons are evident.   On DWI there was a very small infarct, there were no other abnormal high or low signal intesity lesions, mass effect or extral axial fluid collections identified.   The seventh and eighth cranial nerves are identified and are thought to be normal and there was normal flow void in the carotid and vertebrobasilar arteries.   NO abnormal areas of enhancement were evedient.

We are just curious because she is forgetting things, she can barley walk and is sluring her words.   If you can put this into easier terms so I can explain it to her and my family I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Tara FIscus

The MRI report of your grandmother shows multiple white matter lesions. These white matter lesions could be due to old age or due to blockade of small blood vessels in the brain resulting in small strokes. There is an infarction in the thalamic area of brain. Infarction (loss of brain cells) occurs due to loss of blood supply to that particular part of the brain due to stroke. Patients with lacunar infarcts in the thalamus are known to suffer from amnesia so this is the most likely cause for her loss of memory.
Hope this answers your question.