Neurology Community
Retinal Detachment Symptoms?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Retinal Detachment Symptoms?

i havent lost any vision, but i do have floaters, which i know can be normal but also tons of small ones like bubbles that are only noticable when i look at the sky. Sometimes color in the corner of my eye and say when im looking at the computer or tv and then i look at the wall i can see dark shadows likek rectangles shapes that get darker when i continue to look at that one spot. Also when i close my eyes there is like a ton of small dots in my vision. also when my heart beats something in front of my eyes moves like fluid or something moves to my heartbeat, any ideas?
A retinal detachment is a separation of the retina from its attachments to its underlying tissue within the eye. Most retinal detachments are a result of a retinal break, hole, or tear. These retinal breaks may occur when the vitreous gel pulls loose or separates from its attachment to the retina, usually in the peripheral parts of the retina.
Flashing lights and floaters may be the initial symptoms of a retinal detachment or of a retinal tear that precedes the detachment itself.
A person who is beginning to experience these symptoms should see an eye doctor (ophthalmologist) for a retinal exam.
The flashing lights are caused by the vitreous gel pulling on the retina or a looseness of the vitreous, which allows the vitreous gel to bump against the retina. The lights are often described as resembling brief lightning streaks in the outside edges (periphery) of the eye. The floaters are caused by condensations (small solidifications) in the vitreous gel and frequently are described by patients as spots, strands, or little flies.

Hope this gives a brief idea of retinal detachment.