Neurology Community
Rhizotomy Failure or Worsened Symtoms(symptoms)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Well, does anyone have experience with Occipital headaches and the failure of RFA (raido frequency ablation or rhizotomy). I don't know what happened but the headaches returned about 3.5 weeks after the last procedure and they are much worse. I had levels C3, 4, 5, and 6 on both sides done and man the headaches are worse now that they returned. Spoke with the doctor who did procedure he mumbled "neuropathic pain" presribed Gabapentin and then said I ask too many questions (this was phone consult and all I asked was 1. Did procedure fail? 2. Was lesioning incomplete? and 3. Are the nerves regenerating already? he blew me off and then rescheduled my followup appointment for 2 months from now.

I have osteoarthritis and stenosis with facet joint degeneration. I was not having neck pain when this started only extremely chronic painful bilateral headaches eminating from the sub occipital areas in my head not my neck. Now I have headaches worse than before and neck spasms with really weird shotting pains in my neck and it feels like something is twisitng in my neck. These headaches cause me to not be able to get out of bed for days at a time, no opiod works on these, the Gabapentin is working but I am in a fog all the time and with the Elavil which I use to sleep I can't wake up to my alarm clock in the am.

Anybody have experience with this?
I had a v3 neurectomy (the MD drilled a hole in my mandible to get to it).  I was totally pain free for 17 days, then the pain came back worse than before.  One thing I've noticed on these forums, the patients with failed procedures don't get answers to their questions.  I think the docs need to realize that not all people "sue" for bad results.  BUT, each of us who have a failed procedure STILL need medical attention.  I know how you feel.  Keep searching for the truth.
I too had a cervical RF in May 2007. I was fine for 2 days following and then on the 3rd day I experienced the worst neck pain I've ever had! I also have osteoarthritis, degenerative disk disease and bone spurs. My doctor ALSO said neuropathic pain, prescribed prednisone and sent me on my way. I desperately searched for another physician to help me with the new pain in addition to the old pain. I have been taking Lyrica for about 3 months now and it has helped with the burning and stabbing pain, but I have yet to have a pain-free moment since this all started. My new physician is encouraging though and is planning on placing a spinal stimulator in my spine to interrupt the pain signals. It won't stop the muscle spasms, but hopefully will help with the 'neurogenic/neuropathic' pain. Also, the skin on my neck has felt like it has a severe sunburn since the RF as well. Anyway, hope you find answers and a refuge for your pain too. Sincerel, JZ
i too was  offerd a nerve stimulatior ,however i declined due to it not actualy fixing the problem , and of the people who i had met who had a nerve stimulator said that it didnt reduce the pain much or enought to recomend it to anyone else.