Neurology Community
Rhythmic Movement Disorder

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Rhythmic Movement Disorder

Are there any treatments for adults who suffer from Rhythmic Movement Disorder? There's are many adults with similar symptoms who have posted on this site's sleep forum, but none of us knows where to turn for help since many doctors don't have much (if any) info about this disorder or how to treat it. I've read that citalopram can be helpful, but interestingly, I'm already on 20mg/day for depression. Thank you for any leads you can give me; I'll post them on the sleep disorder forum for the others.
  I have heard of treatment by Prescribing benzodiazepine (Klonipin (klonopin), Xanax) or other Tricyclic antidepressants (Amitryptyline). These have been considered as therapeutic options in managing the disorder.

Take Care,
~Tonya  
I suffer myoclonic jerks, my neurologist prescribed me clonazepam I take it before going to bed and it helps me to sleep. I am on antidepressants and it doesn't affect me adversley taking both meds.
Best of luck
Suz
thank you everyone for your comments!
Hi there, I'm 22. When I started to reach my teens I was ridiculously embarrassed by my RMD. The only way I could drift asleep was with thrashing or rocking and head banging. I knew I couldn't show up to sleepovers, or go on any group trips if I couldn't figure out how to minimize my needs or erase them. It has taken years to get to this point. It certainly is not easy but very possible to manage. I started at home. I would try to find new ways to sooth myself asleep, like putting my feet on the wall and gently rocking myself that way(not too obvious, unless your are in the bed). I tried sticking my foot off the edge of the bed and wiggling it. Then I found natural methods to seduce myself into sleepiness. Haha! I started taking bubble baths full of lavendar scent, low lighting and allowed myself to slip into relaxation. Sometimes I would work out before my bath. I wouldn't go to my bed until I was absolutely exhausted. That minimized the length in time it took to rock or wiggle myself to sleep. Little by little, with some relapses, I have managed to get myself down to only 15mins of foot wiggling, and then I'm out! I have never used any drugs, as that is only a way to mask the issues (of RMD) at hand. Take things slow, try subtle changes and push through the urges of rocking!  
My name is Peter, I am 48 and have suffered for 45 years from rocking, back and forth on my bed to get to sleep. I hate this problem and it is something I can not stop doing. I try to lay still and fall asleep everynight and I never succeed. I don't like not being able to control it. I don't have anything good to say about my RMD. My condition is chronic and has ruined alot of aspects of my life. I have tried several medications, valium works but is not a recommended long term medication.

This condition has lead me to a self destructive lifestyle because I tried to keep this behaviour a secret from everyone. I was very embarrassed and ashamed that I did this for an hour or more every night. I would tear lots of knots out of my hair first thing in the morning as a child . I did this with a brush as a comb would not work. I could write page after page about how much this RMD has screwed up my life . I  would encourage parents to do whatever they can to stop their children from any rythmic movement behaviour because it becomes a bad problem for  an adult and for me drug abuse and,depression..

I started as a 3year old, and quickly became addicted to this behaviour, and I mean physically addicted to it because I got some form of pleasure and, comfort from it. I would do this with a music player next to my bed every night and anoy my family with the loudish music because it would cover up the squeaky sound of the bed springs.

Doctors don't know much about this disorder. I always have to explain myself and even show them what I do. I wish there was a simple answer or medication without sideeffects. I feel helpless when  as the patient I have to be proactive with my  Doctor and experiment with medications to find one that works. I haven't found a Doctor who has any skill or proven success treating RMD. I was calling it a RMD, many years ago and my clinical psychologist just told me that it is being officially recognised as disorder in their Guide or Disorders Manual in 2013.

I did say it is an addiction, but I have had drug addictions and I wish my RMD was as easy to stop as an opiate addiction. I gave up drugs and smoking but I can't stop RMD. It has such a strong hold on me. I will keep trying to find a solution but I am fed up with this and I just want to lay still and sleep peacefully. That would be awesome .
.