Neurology Community
Right leg foot pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Right leg foot pain

Good day,
I had been for a operation where the MRI scan stated " Clinically significant lesion is the large right paracentral L5/S1 disc herniation with a sequestrated disc fragment in the right lateral recess and compression of the right S1 nerve root. Possible right L5 root compression in the lateral recess at the L4/L5 level due to right paracentral disc herniation as well". Now I would like to know after this kind of operation, how long it will take to recover. And will there be any after complications. The reason for me being asking this is it has being +- 9weeks after my operation and I still feel this numb pain in my right leg in the area of my foot and behind my knee upwards. Could you please assist me with a answer in this matter. Thank you.

Kind Regards
Pieter Steyn
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Dear Pieter,
I can understand how you are feeling. Right paracentral lumbar disc protrusion means the intervertebral disc is bulging out of its normal circumference and can cause numbness or tingling in the lower back, legs and feet, radiating pain due to pressure on the sciatic nerve.
Surgical intervention may be either discectomy or laminectomy.  Recovery following surgery is slow and takes time. You must avoid bending and lifting for about four to six weeks. You must start outpatient physical therapy under the guidance of a physiotherapist. Full recovery may take up to four months. You would be given ice and electrical stimulation initially to reduce pain and inflammation associated with surgery. You would be taught specific exercises to help tone and stabilize low back muscles.
There are certain complications possible after this spine surgery. Removal of disc can lead to same level or different level disc herniation since some percentage of the disc is left after the surgical excision. There can be spinal stenosis after laminectomy. The persisting symptoms could be due to preoperative irreversible nerve damage, which cannot be corrected.
I would suggest that you discuss this with your operating neurosurgeon who can best allay your anxieties and enlighten you better.
You are most welcome with your queries.
Wish you all the best.