Ripping pain when yawning or swallowing hard
Good evening, I woke up this morning and had no pain. After a couple of hours of running errands I let out a really big yawn...which is when I experienced the sharp piercing pain in the back of my head on the left side almost at the base of my skull. Everytime I would yawn the pain would appear..it only lasts a few seconds but is extremely painful. The best I can describe it is ripping or piercing pain it feels more superficial than a deep pain if that makes any sense. This evening it has progressed to hurting when I swallow big gulps of fluid or take large bites of food! Could this be a nerve problem or something more serious? No headache the ripping pain only covers a small area but have had some radiating prickly pain...any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include muscle spasm, nerve compression, head and neck infections etc.  If there are no other issues I would suggest rest for a few days. You could try some tylenol for symptomatic relief. If the symptoms does not seem better in a week or gets aggravated, I would suggest considering an initial evaluation by a primary care physician and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!