Neurology Community
Ruling out neuro??

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Ruling out neuro??

3 months ago i started having shoulder blade pain that wouldn't go away. I had gone to the Chiropractor for two months couple times a week with a mix of PT and adjustments. It didn't get better, so i tried to leave it alone for awhile. Followed up still in pain with my PC and they put me on flerxerill and steroid and sent me to ORtho. Ortho did an exray, as they were concerned with lung. In addition, to shoulder blade pain also had leg weakness and my left arm was sore. All on the same side. Ortho said it all looked good. Swollen muscles behind the blade...Blade is better currently but arm muscle is tight and sore in addition to sore leg (spcifically knee join, and foot arch) and overall sore. The arm pain flows to the wrist like a pulling or tugging feeling. I can do normal activities, but I know my left side feels weird. Do I need to be concerned at all? I am now wondering if its neurological or with time it will subside.
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include muscle/ ligament/ tendon tears/ injuries, nerve impingement, degeneration, capsulitis, bursitis, tendonitis, fractures, growths/ masses, ischemia, referred pain from other regions such as the respiratory/ GI tract etc. I would suggest resting the arm for a while and avoiding heavy activity around the joint. Tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for pain relief. After an initial period of rest for a few days, physiotherapy to strengthen the muscles around the joint may be initiated. If there is no improvement with the measures in 4-6 weeks, I would suggest seeking a review with your treating orthopedician to look for other secondary issues and for suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Dear Dr. Kaul,

Thanks for the information. I was referred to PT by the Ortho. I haven't gone yet, because for 2 mos prior to seeing him I had PT and it didn't seem to do much. I feel as if it will be a waste of time. I guess my concern would be the whole side feeling odd. Is there diagnosis that involves the arm and leg at the same time? It's not weakness as I can use my leg and arm but it feels odd. Also, if it is nerve impingement, what would be treatment for that? Just curious. Thanks again for your help!! I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Joanne
Joanne,

My best guess (because I'm dealing with something very similar) would/could be cervical myelopathy which can involve neck, shoulder, arm and leg. Take a look and see if any of those symptoms march up at all, and if so, schedule am MRI.

Best,
jrodi