Neurology Community
S-1 nerve damage please help
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

S-1 nerve damage please help

My name is Michael Wendling, I am 34 years old, living in Washington D.C.  I desperately need your help.  I know you're very busy; I thank you for your time and I will be as brief as possible.

I had a skiing accident in Jan 2007, two months later in Mar 2007 I went for a run.  I tried to plant my left foot and "cut" or pivot and my heel just collapsed to the ground.  I have 0% ability to plant and raise myself onto the "ball" of my foot (whether from a stationary position or walking).   I have 0% ability to "push" the floor downward using the "ball" of my foot and thus when I walk I cannot propel myself forward.  Both of my legs (although the symptoms in the right leg are far less pronounced) both of my legs feel as though they are made from blocks of "wood" rather than living tissue, bone and muscle.  Both of my calf muscles have lost their previous definition ( but no atrophy) and as a matter of fact my left calf is 1' larger in diameter then my right which is odd considering I am right side dominate and of course larger is the opposite of atrophy though I believe there is a name for that.  My calf muscles feel like they are in a constant state of tightness or cramping, but no real pain just discomfort.  Though I may appear to be walking normally it does not feel in anyway normal and takes considerable effort, my gate is shorter and not as fluid; and I cannot walk any distance over a hundred yards due to fatigue of leg muscles; and I have a 0% ability to run, or sprint.  I have lost the proverbial "spring" in my step, the frustrations and limitations are considerable; but I count my blessings everyday knowing other people are far worse off then myself.

TESTS I'VE HAD:

SEVERAL MRI'S OF MY HEAD, NECK, SPINE,  LEFT HIP, CALF, & FOOT (with and without contrasts) & (2) EMG'S

RESULTS:
SPINE
DISC BULGE & NERVE COMPRESSION @ T-11 T-12 & L-1  MILD TO MODERATE SPINAL STENOSIS
(everything else with spine unremarkable)

HEAD & NECK
UNREMARKABLE

HIP
UNREMARKABLE
(I did have hip surgery when I was 8 to correct leg pertheise)

CALF, ANKLE, FOOT
SHOWED POSSIBILITY OF PERONEAL NERVE INJURY

EMG
SHOWED CHRONIC S-1 NERVE DAMAGE

NONE OF THESE TEST WERE ON MY RIGHT SIDE & I AM NOW SEEING SOME SYMPTOMS ON MY RIGHT.

I HAVE BEEN GETTING ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENTS AND THERE HAS BEEN SOME RELIEF IN THE TIGHTNESS IN THE CALF AND MY TOES DO NOT CRAMP AS OFTEN

My doctors are DR, Arthur Kobrine ( neurosurgeon) Georgetown & DR. John Kelly head of neuromuscular medicine at George Washington University.

I need your expertise DR. Winfree in nerves.

P.S. This thing is pretty specific the only doctor office exercise thing I cannot do is walk on my toes; across the room: on my heels no problem, stairs, as long as my feet are flat no problem, eyes closed touch my nose, no problem. No balance,  vision, hearing or upper level body strength at all.  I also do (3) miles daily on the "oliptical" and work out upper body with weights. ( I am 5 foot 9' 250 lb over weight I know but mostly muscle BP NORMAL BLOOD SUGAR 103 CHOL. 212 )  Please help if you can, again I thank you so much for your time.

-Michael