Neurology Community
SHARP ELECTRIC LIKE PAIN IN TOP OF HEAD

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

SHARP ELECTRIC LIKE PAIN IN TOP OF HEAD

WHAT CAUSES INTENSE SHARP PAIN TO SHOOT ACROSS/THRU MY HEAD?   IT FEELS LIKE AN ELECTRICAL CURRENT  SHOOTING DEEP THRU MY BRAIN.  IT ONLY LAST A FEW SECONDS & HAPPENS ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE   THE PAIN IS SO INTENSE THAT IT STOPS ME IN MY TRACKS.  IT IS NOT ACCOMPANIED BY ANY OTHER SYMPTONS & OR WARNING SIGNS.  THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME SINCE I WAS A CHILD.  
There can be several reasons of your head pain symptoms although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Most likely your symptoms may be due to Cervical spondylosis or due to nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of injury/prolapse where contact between the edges of the vertebrae can cause neck pain. In few people, this pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the head (like electrical stimulation), shoulders, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) that you felt. Other symptoms are like neck pain and stiffness can be intermittent. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe Pain killers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar/stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement. In addition, cervical traction may also be suggested by the doctor, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.

I have electric activity as a daily occurence. You sent me an answer to my complex of Chronic neuropathic symptoms [stemming from SCI & cervical myelomalacia  - 2 MVAs 1st with fusion C3-C6, which failed, resulting migration to C2-C6, leaving original slip of C3 on C4 which had threatened the cord needing urgent NSurgery] ..also Lumbar disc bulges L3 L4 L5 hen progressed & tendons/ligaments torn at left shoulder healed wrong & unable to lift L arm from side or use hand -> surgery to rebreak & heal again.
2nd accident - Neuropathic pain set in & Urgent surgery to fuse C5-C7 + laminectomy C5-C7 to free spinal cord kink. Told would not lead to recovery or symptom change & could lead to worse consequences due to danger of having to negotiate complex of nerves governing control to whole body.

If you would please read my reply to your first reply ... you will see things have rapidly declined, impacting severely on mobility, even getting to here... any forward bend of head or body toward ground brings rush of searing burning from neck over scalp, into face, arms, legs .. with swelling of fingers, feet up to thighs .. needing being vertical most of time with legs elevated ... lymph drainage massage, laser therapy weekly, acupuncture 1-2 /wk, daily Brain wave Entrainment, breathing meditation, Hynosis for Calm & Comfort each f/night with recorded session for daily use.

Please consider the outline I gave of the accompanying allodynia, the greater spread of searring burning pain, the way my whole body seems to be governed by an electric grid which spontaneously overloads & overwhelms all my determined attempts to regain some conscious control & somehow be able to feel in charge of me & "have some life" - even more important take the aweful burden off my dedicated partner of 11yrs [he is  13yr older]. We had been looking forward to our life, but now our focus it is restrained to one day or even moment ahead. Please give me your view of what is realistic for me - we both are been in medical/psycholical teaching & clinical positions. Where can we find best guidelines/explanations in texts/web?
Hoping you DO read this ... I have written on other comm/forums & paid for 2 experts[lost the contact in time taken to edit to 200 words ... typing is slow/very painful with alloydia & pararasthesia + electric shocks with every finger tap {hard to retain mental focus & be succinct}
Many many thanks .... j
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.