Neurology Community
SHOOTING PAIN IN HEAD

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

SHOOTING PAIN IN HEAD

I have recently had a very painful stiff neck (7+days), along with this pain I am having severe pain that radiates from the top of my head down my shoulder into my chest/sternum.  Getting up in the morning is excruciatingly painful.   The thing that worries me most is on the 5th day I began have shooting pains that start at the top of my head down into my brain.  It is like someone has shot me with a bolt of electricity.   The pain only lasts for a few seconds but i is powerful enough to make me stagger and cringe.   These are becoming more frequent every 10 - 20 minutes.   I do know I have 3 cervical osteophytes discs with one have thecal impingement.   What is this pain and why is it getting worse?
Hello Dear,
The cervical osteophytes indicate degenerative cervical disease. It  includes neck and shoulder pain, suboccipital pain and headache, radicular symptoms, and cervical spondylotic myelopathy. As disk degeneration occurs, mechanical stresses result in osteophytic bars. Treatment is usually conservative, the most commonly used treatment is with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs .You should consult a physical therapist to manage the pain ,do not do strenuous work and and modify your lifestyle.You can get more information on this from http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic564.htm.
Best
Avatar n tn
I am F, 35 I have a few medical probs so I had to have an mri, the result was normal except for OSTEOPHYTIC BARS at C/6 and T8/9, I have no idea what this means. I would be very greatful if someone who dose know what this is could let me know.
Many thanks
Catherine