Neurology Community
SPINAL CANAL STENOSIS

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

SPINAL CANAL STENOSIS

I have multi-level spondylosis, most severe atC4-5 and C5-6 is slightly worse than seen on previuos MRI of 1999.It results in severe spinal canal stenosis at C4-5, worse on the right side where there is a small focus of myelomalacia in the right side of the spinal cord which appears to be new. Uncovertebral osteophytes cause severe bilateral C4-5 and right C5-6 neural exit foraminal stenoses. Congenital non segmentation at C2-3.
I am on Naproxen SR 1000 and 35mgs of Amitriptyline daily.The medication intially was of benefit, but is now wearing off. I have been twice over the past 4 months on a short course of Prednisolne, which was extremely helpful first time around, but the second round of prednisolne did not help. I am extremely stiff in the morning and tossing in bed and getting out of bed-is a real nightmare-like being encassed in a metal cassing. I even tried Pilates, Accupucture, and Feldenkrais.

I am in desperate need of some assistance with this problem , as I am too young(50) to have such a bad back.
I also have tronchanteric bursitis bilaterally-since Oct 2007, I have had 2 rounds of Celestone injections into the bursa- but I have had no relief in the right trochanteric.

As a result of my above history, I have now trouble standing for more than a few minutes before the top of the legs get heavy and throb-as a result, my daily walking has been comprimised.
Can you shed some light into my condition, because I am feeling depressed and walking for exercise, is becoming a real chore and what was once pleasureable, is now  one that i avoid.

Regards

Katy

Hi Dear,

It seems you are having compression of the spinal cord at the level of cervical spine, which is progressive. The symptoms reflect the compression which in turn is a consequence of the nerve injury.
Conservative measures such a physiotherapy,back and neck exercises and yoga are the only options apart from surgery. Physical therapy such as hydrotherapy, massage, and hot/cold therapy.
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is a treatment in which a painless electrical current is sent to specific nerves through electrode patches that are placed on the skin. The mild electrical current generates heat that serves to relieve stiffness, improve mobility, and relieve pain
Treatment methods should be focused on pain relief and maintaining quality of life.

Refer http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article180.html
Best
Hi Dr. Simran

Thanks for your feedback. I have actually tried all of the conservative measure, but to no relief of my condition.I have also quite reguarly with my Physiotherapist-Interferrential treatment which I think is similar or perhaps the same as TENS.
I have also tenderness to the touch at the side of my legs from the top of my hips down to just above the knees-is this perhaps a form of fibromyalgia?
I tried hydrtherapy but that did not work.
Any other suggestions

Regards

Katy