Neurology Expert Forum
Sarcoid

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sarcoid

I've had severe headache for 5 months,
Tested with LP that showed 30WBC in the fall and subsequent LP's MRI's etc. all normal.  
AT the time of the 1st LP I had a upper resp. virus and wonder if it would be expected that a LP could show cells yet they not be the cause for the headaches?  
How likely is it someone would show a CSF lymphocyte count durring a virus and not have headaches etc.  associated with meningitis.  
Aslo checked for sarcoid but have no mri abnormalities, systemic features, CSF ACE negative, is this pretty well excluded?  
Laura
Although I cannot say for sure without seeing your results, it sounds like you had a viral meningitis at that time. Some of the viruses that cause respiratory infections can also cause nervous system complications such as meningitis. In the vast majority of cases they are mild and self-limiting, and involve headache or may be aymptomatic. However headache can persist when the infection clears, and can be difficult to treat. Eventually once medication overuse is avoided the headaches should subside over weeks to months. It is unclear what the cause of the persistent headaches is. The vast majority of viral meningitides will have headache (over 90%). Sarcoid would be unlikely in your case as a cause of the lymphocyte count unless there were other manifestations of sarcoid eg other areas of nervous system or other organ involvement.
I mant to ask additionally, if you would note any significance in each of my LP's showing one two or three RBC's along with 1 or two WBC (which I know is normal).  Why the couple red cells, incidental?