Neurology Community
Scalp/Temple Pain/Tenderness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Scalp/Temple Pain/Tenderness

Since about two years ago I've noticed a pain in my scalp. It's on the top and to the left, (occasionally and rarely the pain travels around to other areas, but not for long). Sometimes it travels to my temples, as well. It's a sharp pain and I often can find a spot on my scalp that when pushed down on  will increase the pain. The pain usually comes in quick sharp jabs that last 5 or 10 seconds then go away completely. Sometimes I will get these regularly all day, other times I wont experience the pain at all. And sometimes the pain goes away for months, only to come back again unexpectedly and for no apparent reason. I saw a doctor once about it two years ago, he took a CT scan and said everything was ok. But to be honest it was really late in the ER, and he was in a big hurry to ship me off to the mental health hospital. So I feel like there may be a possibility he over looked something. Because the pain, while it lasts is about a 9 on that little pain scale they give you. And if it's been going on for two years, it has to be something.. I can't convince myself to pass this off as a headache anymore. I would really like to immediately rule out anything crazy like a brain tumor or cancer, I was hoping that could be done here, and it would basically come down to a pinched nerve or something of that sort.  Another thing I will mention - I occasionally see spots of light in my vision.

Hello Dear,
Your pain seems to be due to neuralgia of either trigeminal or occipital nerves.The diagnosis can be confirmed by a neurologist.Following are the symptoms-
Trigeminal neuralgia is a facial pain syndrome consisting of  sharp, lancinating pain in the face. The pain is often described as shock-like stabs of pain. The pain is only on one side of the face and may be elicited by touching trigger points in the skin of gums. There is no associated numbne. Often there may spontaneous remissions from pain lasting weeks to years. Interestingly, this pain usually responds to carbamazepine (Tegretol), an oral anticonvulsant medication.
Trigeminal neuralgia is usually caused by compression of the sensory (trigeminal) nerve within the skull by a small artery or vein at the point where the nerve joins the brain stem.Refer http://www.sd-neurosurgeon.com/diseases/tn.html.
Occipital neuralgia is a term used to describe a cycle of pain-spasm-pain originating from the suboccipital area (base) of the skull that often radiates to the back, front, and side of the head, as well as behind the eyes Symptoms include the following:
Headaches that are localized on the side of the head, often starting in the upper neck or base of the skull. It can be one-sided or on both sides.
Scalp that is tender to the touch, often hypersensitive. Even brushing your hair can be a painful experience.
Pain or pressure behind the eyes. Eyes are very sensitive to light especially when the headache is present. Refer http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/536/main.html
hi im 17 years old and i have tenderness too at one part of my scalp to and when i touch in meaning push down on it it hurts too. then i have these small pain like headaches all around my head that only last a few seconds but its becoming more frequent. i got hit with a sooth ball about a month and a half ago and ive been having head aches ever since.
i sometimes feel like i can't feel my head while touching it, it seems like it is dull, like i press it and i don't feel the pressure, in fact i feel it, but not so much.and this days i have felt like stings all over the head, but they don't come from the inside, but from the scalp or bones(don't know), it's like i have burned my head with boiled water and it's stinging all the time.i don't know what it is.does smb know?