Neurology Community
Scar Tissue

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Scar Tissue

How long does scar tissue continue to build up?  Does it build up indefinately or does it only build up for a short period of time after surgery?  

I had a right temporal lobectomy for epilepsy ten years ago. It seems that I recently have had aura's and a recent EEG shows mild seizure activity. The neuro said he sees a lot of scar tissue and fluid on the MRI.  I'm wondering if maybe this scar tissue is pressing up againt nerves and that's why it seems like my seizures are coming back after ten years.  But, if scar tissue only builds up over a short period of time after surgery, then that means my seizures aren't back due to the scar tissue.

Thank you!
scar tissue in the brain is considered infarctions. any type of infarction or lesion can definately cause seizures. dont know why it would take ten years.are you on any medicine? discontinued it recently??? dunno  kinda weird.... good luck
Hi.

Your points are valid indeed. Scar tissue usually only builds up as an immediate response to injury or trauma and would not persist for a long time. However, the findings of scar tissue in your brain may not all be related to the previous surgery that was done. Any injury to the brain, whether from trauma or otherwise, would trigger a healing response of gliosis, and this could present itself later on as scar tissue on MRI.

However, this does not mean that your seizures are due to the scar tissue as it would be difficult to ascertain that. Have you experienced seizures since the surgery? Mild seizure activity on EEG is not diagnostic of recurrence and should just be observed for any progression.

Hope this helps.
My husband has had three seizures since 2004, almost every two years. he had his third one just two days ago. also, they have occured while sleeping and I'm a witness to them. His second MRI shows scar tissue from an old head injury(25 years ago) that caused a concussion and required surgery. never had any problems. Then out of the blue one night he had his first seizure. Only symptom is a headache on the side of his old injury. The neurologist says the seizures are triggered by the scar tissue and started him on medication.  I wonder if the scar tissue can be reduced and maybe stop the seizures. Also curious why they only occur every couple of years...
exact same thing happened me.was in car crsh 30yrs ago.im now 40 and neuro reckons scarring on brain is causing seizures now.
I had an Intracranial Aneurysm in 1988.
One day, several years later I was pushing pulling and lifting heavy furniture,etc. when all of a sudden, I heard a gastly noise from eithin my head. Room went kind of fuzzy and had to be on bed rest for days..
I was rushed to my Doctor who informed me I had over exhurted myself and had torn scar tissue IN my Head!!
This has happened several times over the years and actually just happened three days ago.
My 'boyfriend' doesn't beleive this has hapened or I have been diagnosed
with tearing scar tissue in my head..
I've had two seperate open head surgeries.
Just wondering, has anyone else heard of,or been diagnosed like me??
Thanks everyone
Well 25 years ago I had quite a few head injuries and was sent to a neurologist for tests. They told me I had scar tissue build up and that was why I was having seizures, then my doctor put me a disability. 2 years ago I banged my head again went to hospital and they ran a scan doc came back and said there was no scar build up? I don't get it does it just disappear? Was it possible that I was misdiagnosed?