Neurology Expert Forum
Scared of Aneursyms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Scared of Aneursyms

Hi - I am an otherwise very healthy 39 year old female.  I had a good friend whose mom died of an aneursym.  Lately, I have been having these weird sensations in my head, not necessarily headaches, but cold/hot sensations, pressure and strange pains that come and go.  My md said that it is nothing to worry about.  My husband thinks it is anxiety.  I had a cat scan and mri 6 years ago when I was having migraines and it was completely normal.  My question is this....could these weird sensations have anything to do with an aneursym?  I feel like I want to go and get another mri to make sure that I do not have one.  Am I justified in doing so?  I would say that 85% of my day is being spent thinking about aneursyms and being scared that I am going to have one.  What can I do and should I look further into this.  THANKS SO MUCH!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are several causes of headaches. Headaches can be divided into primary and secondary. Primary headache disorders are headaches without a direct cause, such s migraine headaches and tension headaches. Secondary headache disorders are due to an underlying problem, such as a tumor, medication side effects, central nervous system infections, bleed in the brain, clots in the veins in the brain etc. A normal MRI of the brain, such as the one you have had, excludes many causes just described. This should ease your mind that the odd sensations you have sometimes in your head are not related to anything serious.

A normal MRI of the brain does not exclude an aneurysm. Aneurysms are best seen on imaging studies such as MR angiogram, CT angiogram, or conventional angiogram. Having said that, there does not appear to me any indication to screen you for an aneurysm. I understand the anxiety and fear that comes from knowing someone who had an aneurysm such as your friend's mom, but odd sensations in the head that you describe above would actually be unlikely to be from an aneurysm. The only indication to search for aneurysms in someone without a bleed in the brain is a family history of aneurysms. Otherwise, there is no indication to search for an aneurysm, even if you have occasional odd sensations in the head. However, it would of course be important to avoid anything that could increase risk of aneurysmal bleed: not smoking, controlling blood pressure if it is present, and not doing any type of illicit drug such as cocaine.

It sounds like you have significant anxiety about aneurysms if you spend so much time thinking about this, so I recommend you discuss this further with your primary doctor so that he/she can address you concerns and questions.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.