Neurology Community
Sciatica with Numbness in Foot

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sciatica with Numbness in Foot

To try and cut a long story short, I've had sciatica for about 5 months now.  Started off with back pain and pain down my right leg which eventually turned into more leg pain rather than the back pain.  Also had pins and needles, tingling etc in my foot.  A couple of weeks before Christmas I moved funnily and felt something twang and was in agony - felt like I was being electrocuted when I moved anything.  Went to chiropracter 3 times in 4 days and since then felt great.  No pain in leg, only the odd twinge in back and I could walk normally for the first time in 5 months.  Before that, if I could walk 10 mins without stopping to rest (because the pain in my leg was bad), that was actually good!  About a week ago I felt my calf muscle and hamstring go tight.  I didn't know if this was because I'd started doing more walking (nothing too strenous though!).  Since then, the tightness has stayed but my foot has gone more and more numb.  Its always felt colder than the other foot since the onset of sciatica but it feels even more numb now.  I do still have feeling in the foot but now I've started walking "funny" - and I'm not sure if this is to do with the numbness or not.  It definitely feels weaker than my left foot (although the physio told me that at the start) and sometimes when it feels the most numb, I have trouble standing on tiptoes.  I'm booked in to see a consultant at a hospital at the end of this month, but wondered if I should see the doctor about this numbness in the meantime.  Although I doubt whether I'd get an appointment at the hospital any sooner than the one I've got now to be honest.  Has anyone experienced this before.  Love to hear any comments because I feel very alone in this !!
You are not alone.Please read all comments posted by soldy.
Same problem as you. Foot problem is called foot drop and is tied to original problem.