Neurology Expert Forum
Second Opinion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Second Opinion

Posted By Andrew on April 08, 1998 at 04:26:15:

I am a 34 year old male
About 7 months ago I deveoped some peculiar symptons in my arms and legs as though I had recently stepped off a vibrating machine.
These symptons progressed to shooting pains in my thighs and for the past 5 months I have had fasiculations which started in my legs but are now throughout my whole body including my face (not tongue) - the other symptons have mainly disappeared.
I have had 2 emgs - one 6 months ago which was just nerve conduction and 1 last month which was just needle in 3 muscles - one of which was fasiculating at the time. Both emgs were negative.
My neurologist has said that the comnbination of my age, the negative emgs, the sensory nature of some of my early symptons and the lack of weakness means that it is not ALS and was probably a virus that will go away.
However, the fasiculations continue to worry me (particularly in my face) and I believe that ALS can manifest itself with fasics before other symptons.
Do you think I am worrying needlessly or should I ask for a second opinion with another neurologist ?