Neurology Community
Seeing Auras

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Seeing Auras

I have been seeing people's auras, everyday, for around 6 or 7 years. I have gone to an optometrist, they said my eyes were fine. They said that I might just be "concentrating" too hard. I understand what eye strain is, and this is most definitely not eyestrain. Should I see a neurologist?

My main concern is that this might be a symptom of epilepsy/brain tumor. I used to get migraines while taking birth control pills, but other than that, I really don't get them anymore. I have read about migraines to try and understand my experiences, but for any of this to make sense, I would be having to have migraines everyday.

Also, I occasionally have olfactory hallucinations (they have happened since I was very young) but have never told any medical professional about them.

I have heard of/read about/taken classes discussing synesthsia, and wonder if this might be an explanation for my experiences. I'm not sure of anything really, when it comes to these perceptions... and I don't know how to describe them to any kind of medical or scholarly individual without coming off as a crackhead. I know what I am experiencing, but I am worried that these experiences are either, a) psychologically manufactured or b) because I have something seriously anatomically wrong with my brain.

I don't have any motor problems. I get headaches here and there, but nothing like I used to (stopping birth control pills has helped immensely). I don't suffer from memory problems. I am a little paranoid... and prone to becoming depressed. But overall, I think I am pretty "normal" despite seeing colours around people's bodies all day, and splotches of colour when people move around. This is not constant, but it does happen multiple times during the day. What do you think? Are these symptoms of something really dire going on in my brain? Or is this just like, a variation in human perception?
Yah, could be an indicator of a seizure or aura for a migraine, but you now what, you can have auras for a migraine and yet not have the headache!  Also, ther's a real good chance you have a benign cyst that is growing very slowly in your ear and eye interconecting canals,and thatmight be causing this kind of uncomfortable sensation of noise and visuals.  And of course if it is a sign of a seizure, obviously you MUST see a doctor.

Do not be afraid to go see a neurologist.  You could first go to a regular doc and he can then refer you either to or both a neurologist an an ear nose throat ENT doct.  I think I'd want to just straightaway want to go to a neurlogist.  You can bet he's heard of this combination of symptoms sevearl times a yeark, and he will know what to look for tha is causing it, and he should be able to clear it u for you!!!  Le uskow how things go!