Seizure activity
If zoning out can be seizure activity does the child then recognize that they've zoned out?  My child had a seizure in the middle of the night, we're going for an EEG soon but now I'm wondering whether or not the zoning out that I've always thought to be distraction might actually be seizure activity.  

This discussion is related to EEG Readings.
i am in no way an expert on this, but as a kid i both zoned out and had seizures, so i'll share my experience -

i don't remember any of the seizures i had as a kid. i did always recognize when i "zoned out" though, even if i couldn't recall what was going on around me i recognized that i missed something you know? for me the zoning out was a combination of ADHD and POTS. the seizures were very distinct/different and scared my parents to no end - my eyes would roll back, sometimes i would end up choking, i'd get either rigid or all rag dolly...when i zoned out my eyes might unfocus slightly but that was it.

so i would say be sure to observe your kid's physical posture and movements while he or she is "zoned out", bc from what i've heard and seen there is usually a significant physical response to a seizure. also, if you can "call your kid back" from the zone out then it is unlikely it is a seizure.

good luck on the EEG, and getting all that gross goop out of the kids hair!