Neurology Community
Seizure after drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Seizure after drinking alcohol and smoking marijuana

Almost a year ago I experienced a head injury after falling while snowboarding.  I recovered fine other than the physician warned I may have frequent severe headaches which I do have about every 2-3 months.

I am not a regular alcohol drinker or marijuane smoker HOWEVER, this weekend I went out with my brother and had 1 beer and 2 shots of Vodka/pineapple juice.  We came home and he convinced me to take a "hit"  of marijuana.  Prior to the marijuana I really didn't feel any major effects from the alcohol...maybe just slightly imparied...no slurring no difference in coordination.  AFTER the marijuana I didn't feel anything for about 5 minutes...then I started feeling like everyone was talking faster and at the same time!  All of a sudden I felt a cold pain rush over me starting in my face and chest....went down to my arms....I thought if I stand up and walk around it will lessen the symptoms.....next thing I knew my brother was standing over me dialing 911.  He said I fell TWICE and started convulsing and wasn't breathing.  The first time I fell he said it was not as long or as bad but I tried to get up and fell again immediately this time my right arm and hand turned in and up towards my face I had no color to my face or hands.  I lost control of my bladder.  WE are not young!  I am 36 and everyone there was over the age of 30.  Needless to say it scared the crap out of everyone and they felt bad for talking me into doing it and have sworn to never smoke again.

This was not the first time I have tried pot.  I smoked probably 2-3 times 2 years ago during 4th of July weekend....the effects it had on me didn't seem the same as everyone else but weren't too bad......then one more time I smoked before the head injury and I started feeling the way I did just prior to the "seizure" this time.  I felt like I was going to die!  I wanted to yell for help but couldn't I felt like my chest was constricted and I looked in the mirror and looked like a zombie NO COLOR.  I don't know why but I drank a jar of pickle juice and started feeling better.  I swore then I would never do it again but everyone told me it was probably just a panick attack.

So I thought I would just try one hit this time......I am convinced marijuana does NOT agree with me....GOOD that's fine but I am wondering if this is a normal thing that happens to some peope or if there is possibly an underlying cause that the marijuana or combination of alcohol and marijuana triggers?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!  I am afraid to go to the Doctor because I NEED to be able to drive for my job and my kids but I don't want anything to happen while I am driving!  I have never had any of these symptoms before and just feel like if I just DON'T smoke anymore maybe that was all it was???/

Thank you!