Neurology Community
Seizures related to blood sugar?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Seizures related to blood sugar?

One of my friends has had 2 seizures. After the first, he went to the doctor and then a neurologist. Neither found anything wrong after a battery of scans and blood tests. After the second seizure, he tried to think of any common elements or triggers to avoid them in the future. The only common thread was that he hadn't eaten anything in 18-24 hours prior.

Seizure 1: had a migraine and nausea: didn't eat but kept hydrated: did not sleep well night before

Seizure 2: had a stomach virus (or food poisoning) and kept hydrated but ate very little for approx 24 hours. Slightly sleep deprived, but not extreme.

I have read that seizures related to hypoglycemia are non epileptic. Can someone confirm this?

The neurologist basically said he couldn't find any epileptic tenancies and since it was only one seizure to not worry about it. I know hypoglycemia can cause seizures, but is it likely and what tests can we request from the doctors to try to confirm this (he has tried a fasting blood test of 12 hours and it came back fine)?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You are right about hypoglycemic seizures. The other neuroglycopenic manifestations of hypoglycemia may be abnormal mental state, anxiety, fatigue, confusion, paresthesiae etc.
Other non organic causes of seizure may be a febrile convulsion due to very high body temperature. He needs to be evaluated thoroughly for a complete blood sugar profile, fasting, post prandial and an hbA1C to check his glycemic control over the last 3 months. The neurologist should reexamine him for systemic manifestations of diabetes to check. Take care.
Thank you for your kind input.