Neurology Community
Sensitive nerve pain on inner arms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sensitive nerve pain on inner arms

I have had this weird pain that comes and goes periodically on the inside on my arms in the elbow area and up. I noticed it about 6+ years ago. At first I htought I was allergic to my wool sweater, but noticed it other times as well. It comes on and will bother me for serveral days or weeks and then just goes away for months. It feels it does not hurt when I push or press onthe area, but light brushing against the skin is moderately painful. The only way I can describe the feeling is is you've ever experience a steam burn where the nerves are super senstive and painful. It's really annoying. The is no redness or rash. Definitely not muscular. It affects my right arm more than the left. Right now it's just the right side. I don't know if this is related but last week I was experiencing a lot of random muscle spams/ twitching in my hands, head and legs (twiching me awake).  Also possibly unrelated  for the past few years I wake up at night with numb tingling arms. This only happens at night and it not from sleeping pressure on them as I generally sleep on my side and it will be my upper arm that is worse. I spent a furtune with a chiropractor that said I "might" have a herniated disk or two causing. At the time I couldn't afford the MRI to be sure. I quit the chiro and took up yoga and running and the issue seemed to go away until a few weeks ago it started back up. So I am not sure if this is all related or not. In addition, the past few months I have been diagnosed with Asthma (never had it before), Hypothyroid/ Hashi's, reflux and esophageal problems (dysphagia and coughing food back up). Blood test came up with a positive ANA but low 1:40 speckled. Dr. said it ws low and not to worry about it. Later this week I and having several motility realted tests done for esophageal and reflux problem which does not respond to PPI's. I am concerned it might be part of a bigger issue. Any thoughts on what this arm pain might be or the big picture?
My mother also did not respond to PPI's in the end.  And a good reason why..insufficient stomach acid is the most common cause of acid reflux conditions!  She stopped the PPI nexium, started betaine HCI with pepsin supplements (to help with low stomach acid) and digestive enzyme supplements and her severe GERD and LPR were gone; suffered both severely for 5 years.  After a year and a half, her stomach is "retrained" with the betaine HCI to help produce its own acid. She only needs digestive enzymes now with meals.  

Hypothyroidism slow metabolism and causes the parietal cells in the stomach to produce less hydrochloric acid (HCI) in the stomach.  There are quite a few nutrient deficiencies found with hypothyroidism.  The top 3 most commonly mentioned are vitamin D, iron and vitamin B12. Others include folate, magnesium, calcium, potassium, sodium, cortisol (stress hormone). Vitamin A is also noted as metabolism slows down conversion of beta carotene to vitamin A (skin can look more yellowish on the palms and feet).  

One deficiency that affects the nerves is vitamin B12 deficiency. I too had bad numbness when sleeping and it took for ages to shake feeling back into my arms or legs.  Eventually my whole arm went numb 24/7.  I have permanent nerve damage as this deficiency was not picked up and treated in time (in my case due to an rare autoimmune disease called juvenile pernicious anaemia).  Permanent nerve damage occurs if vitamin B12 deficiency is not treated in time. Some websites state within 6 months from onset of symptoms.  Optimal B12 serum is over 800pg/mL or 600pmol/L.  

A great website called "Stop The Thyroid Madness" has plenty of info including labs to request and how to interpret lab results. I too was diagnosed with Asthma many years ago. When i corrected my vitamin B12 and magnesium deficiency, my wheezing improved dramatically.  Also, vitamin D deficiency is shown to worsens asthma severity.
Thank you for the information. I will bring these consideration up at my next appointment.