Sensitive scalp with sharp, stabbing head pain
Yesterday I started having a sharp, stabbing intermittent pain in the back of my head on the left side.  The skin of my scalp around my left ear is extremely sensitive to touch of any sort to the point of moderate to severe pain when touched.  Today I also have a milder pain in my temples, and my neck and center of my shoulders have pain when I move my head in certain ways.  I have a nearly lifelong history of migraines complete with visual and auditory disturbances, and this feels nothing like any headache I have ever had, nor do I have the sensitivity to light and sound and nausea which I normally have during a migraine.  Does anyone know what may be causing this?
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

I can understand your worrying concern about long term migraine headaches and no sure success treatments that you have tried. First & foremost, there are two conditional like occipital neuralgia and temporal arteritis conditions that cause scalp pain need to be evaluated thoroughly with a doctor here. Additionally, mainstay of the migraine treatment is always to identify the triggering factors and to avoid them that may be additive factor in persistent pain. Triggering factors could be different foods such as cheese, chocolate, alcohol and even few fruits. Other factors that may induce your migraine attack may be contraceptive pills, stress or depression, bright lights, loud noise and traveling. Few women experience headache more commonly during the time of their menstrual periods & at the time of hormonal imbalance. I would suggest careful record of events that have proceeded with the attack and avoid those factors. In addition, try to rest in a dark & quiet room, meditate, have a balanced diet and avoid taking unnecessary drugs. Even then if you suffer continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders here that may be the main reasons of your migraine attacks and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!