Neurology Expert Forum
Severe Nausea and Vomiting With MS
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Severe Nausea and Vomiting With MS

My wife is 35 years old and was diagnosed with MS four years ago.  She suffers from many of the usual symptoms when the MS flairs such as optic neuritis, bladder control, numbness in hands, arms, and legs, fatigue, ect.  However the most debilitating aspect of the disease for her is the severe nausea and vomiting she must endure.  She receives 45 mg of Zofran a day I.V. in an attempt to control the nausea but it is of little help.  She vomits up to twenty times a day and must be put on I.V. fluids and TPN to be sustained. The last time this happened a jejunmostomy was performed and within of 10 weeks the nausea and vomiting stopped, for 16 months.  Her MS has flaired again recently and the whole cycle has started again.
  I have done considerable reading on MS and have yet to find anyone who suffers from symptoms such as hers. Her doctors also seem to be at a loss to find a way to control the nausea. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to find a possible solution to this problem. Medical journals, conference notes, ect. Thanks