Neurology Expert Forum
Severe Symptoms which haven't been explained

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello, 33/male here.  I have symptoms which aren't fully explained.  I'm not exaggerating when I say I've been crippled by these symptoms.

About 4 years ago, I had no history of anything. One day, my heart suddenly began to beat out of rhythm and I had a near blackout where I collapsed. After that, I started experiencing hundreds up to thousands of PVC's every day but I had a normal cardiac evaluation.

At this same time, I started feeling constantly lightheaded (even with no palpitations).  I felt disconnected from my surroundings in a very disturbing way as if in a dream world. I did not feel anxiety or panic, but I saw a psychologist who thought it sounds like derealization.  I have a severe aversion to bright light because it can trigger a flash attack of symptoms.

I also have a mild sort of off balance feeling like I'm falling over in my chair or my body or the world around me is morphing..this symptom comes and goes but can last for days, and it gets less noticeable if I'm up walking around -vs- sitting down.

I have also since developed internal cystitis as well as lower IBD.  Recently, the PVC's have quietened down but the other symptoms are still raging full ahead, especially the derealizaiton.

There are times that I will go for a week or more where my brain feels chemically altered as if I have some toxic drug in me, and I will wake up repeatedly at night with nightmares, never able to sleep longer than 4 hours per night.  Then, inexplicable after a week, the toxic feeling in my head will die off, my derealization won't be as bad, and I will sleep 10 hour like a baby, feeling much better the next day.  For absolutely no rhyme or reason whatsoever.  Again, I don't have panic attacks or feel anxious at all.  Benzodiapene does not make me feel better.

I did have a brain scan back at the beginning of all this, and I do have a supra-orbital 4 centimeter meningioma in the bone, though, it has not grown at all

Will these symptoms ever be explained?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

I am sorry to hear about the disabling of the symptoms. Have you been evaluated by a psychiatrist (not psychologist)? One condition in the differential is anxiety. Anxiety is a psychological and physiological condition with a multitude of symptoms. They include heart palpitations, muscle tension, fatigue, nausea, chest pain, shortness of breath, headaches, and GI symptoms such as diarrhea to name a few. Anxiety can also be accompanied with panic attacks such as a feeling of impending doom or death. It seems that your symptoms do fit. It may take time for you and your physician to find the optimal pharmacologic agent to help with your symptoms.

It may also be useful to have an EEG performed to evaluate the electrical nature of your brain. Given the meningioma, it would be worthwhile to rule out epilepsy.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.