Neurology Expert Forum
Severe elbow and shoulder pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Severe elbow and shoulder pain

I am  42 year old male:

For the past three weeks I have been suffering severe upper elbow pain associated with pain over right shoulder blade. I also have pain in the upper right fore arm. If I move my head down and to the left, there is a very painful "pulling" sensation in the lower tricep just above the elbow as well as the shoulder pain. Looking straight up also brings severe pain to the upper elbow area. Another symptom is a nearly constant twitching or bunching of the lower tricep just above the elbow, almost as if it's trying to cramp up. I cannot recall any activity that might have caused this. Any advise or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I cannot afford a doctors visit and have no health insurance, so this is my last hope.
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.
    The symptoms that you describe are non-specific, but are often seen in patients with pinched nerves caused by disc problems or arthritis in the neck (the fancy term is cervical radiculopathy).  This occurs when one of the discs in the neck protrude to compress a bundle of nerves that is exiting the spinal column (or the nerves can be compressed by a osteophyte (in arthritis), a compression fracture or rarely a tumor).  You need to have testing before this condition can be diagnosed.  I would talk to your hospital about applying for medicaid or other state/goverment assistance to allow you to see doctors and to get testing.  You need an MRI of the cervical spine and an EMG of the upper extremity.  I would also recommend that you see a neurologist to help interpret your tests and to prescribe the appropriate medications and recommend any additional care that may be needed.
I hope this has been helpful.
it sounds like you have myofascial issues. when muscles shorten due to trigger points, they "pull" as you say. get a book by clair davies -- it has a blusish purple cover and is called a trigger point manual and get to work. just by chance-- did you play tennis, swim or pitch baseball or do you work on the computer alot?? How's your [osture? are you rounded, ie forward shoulders and rounded back?i'd bet your scalene muscles are incredibly tight. the trigger point manual addresses all these things. short tight scalenes can refer pain everywhere. i've been through all this. I was worse than you seem to be and i fixd it-- if done right, with the right knowledge, 3-6 months.