Neurology Community
Severe leg cramps

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Severe leg cramps

Hi, about 6 months ago I developed a twinge in my upper right thigh, it hurt when i stood up or sat down and sometimes when i walked.  It was nothing major so I thought nothing of it. In the last few weeks it has snowballed and is now causing me severe discomfort.  I cant really walk anywhere now, I get a cramp like pain in my right calf and the same in my right hamstring which forces me to hoble and limp.  If I do go out I cant go very far before I have to sit down.  I feel like my leg tires very quickly.  I have trouble standing still and sitting in certain positions because I get a real painfull ache in my hamstring.  I have lost some feeling in my 3 small toes on my right foot and they are tingling.  Also to top it all off I get woken up in the early hours of the morning with severe hamstring cramp on my right side which forces me out of bed, it takes ages for it to relax and even then its not relaxed completely.  This also happens if ive been sitting or lying anywhere without moving for a short length of time.  I feel like my whole leg is tense.  I did used to have the pain in my hip and right buttock but that seems to have shifted away.  Ive tried hot baths, heatpads, water bottles, co-codomol, tramadol and now diclofenic but nothing really works.  The physio has given me a simple stretch exercise but that isnt working either.  No one has really shed any light on this problem for me.  The doctor is going to send me for some blood tests next week but i was wondering if anyone knew what this may be and had any advice in the mean time to ease the pain.
Thank you
sorry I forgot to say that recently I have been getting spasms in my buttock, hamstring and calf, not like the normal twitches but costant flickering spasms for 10 seconds at a time.