Neurology Community
Severe pain and numbness and tingling in legs and feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi I guess I am here because I am in a lot of pain and was wondering if anyone could help me. I have an appointment in 3 weeks to see a neurologist but have been waiting years to get here after seeing a lot of different doctors.
3 years ago after the birth of my daughter (c section with spinal block) I started getting a numbness and tingling throughout my legs. Its always at its worst while I am lying down and trying to sleep. It would last days sometimes weeks and then disappear. and randomly from time to time re-appear. I had a few different blood test (I was living in England at the time) and was told it was nothing and it would go away on its own and was probably a result of the spinal block.
fast forward 3 years and I give birth to my second child again by C section and spinal block. Straight after surgery I lose feeling in my legs and bottom, the numbness and tingling lasted for 2+ weeks and it was my surgeon who referred me to see the neurologist for further testing. I also had blood tests done at this point which indicated I was severely b12 deficient and there were other things in my blood work that indicated this may be caused by some form of autoimmune disease as my iron levels were fairly normal. I have a copy somewhere and will add those once I find them.

For the last 3 or so weeks the numbness and tingling is back but this time I also have pain that its like a dull ache in my legs with random shooting pains throughout my legs and feet and a mild lower back pain. My bowel movements have been more frequent and a feeling of urgency of using the bathroom when I do feel the urge to go. Again this pain is worse while lying down or resting but I still feel it throughout the day and its getting worse and I see no sign of it going any-time soon. I am finding it hard to sleep. I am unable to take any strong pain medication as I am breastfeeding my son. I am taking ferograd c (sp) which has helped a little with my energy levels but I just feel tired all the time even after a good nights sleep. I realise with the type of pain and symptoms I have can be a whole list of things. Would love to hear others stories and I am hoping I finally get some anwsers after my appointment in 3 weeks. I am now Living in Australia and I am a 28 yo female.
I forgot to add I also had a low platelet count
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Numbness and pain that gets aggravated on lying down could be due to pinched nerves, vitamin B12 deficiency, or restless leg syndrome. Another possibility is by ankylosing spondylitis. This is a genetic condition. Diagnosis is by typical X-ray changes, sacroilitis (inflammation of sacro-iliac joint in the hip region), raised ESR and c-reactive protein and MRI of sacro-iliac joints. Medicines, physiotherapy, exercises and drugs to suppress immunity are the mainstay of treatment.
Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.