Neurology Community
Severe pain during flight

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Severe pain during flight

Hi All,

I was recently flying (had cold, nasal congestion) and developed severe sudden headache shortly after descent was announced. I cannot localize pain, whole head felt it and I never had headaches before in my life. After 10 seconds or so pain suddenly stopped, I felt dizzy and passed out for a few minutes, then woke up and vomited. EMS crew did blood pressure and sugar test that were ok. One of them suggested it could be barotrauma.

Since that episode (month ago) I am having minor headaches in random places that come and go. Not happening in the morning or when I bend over or exercise - totally random. Once I almost felt I am going to pass our again, maybe I was just worried. Have a history of passing out when vein blood taken or even seeing blood.

So I went to hospital, they checked vitals and did chest x-rays, everything appears to be normal, just slight hypertension 130-135/70, maybe because I was worried. They told me I have slight heart murmur and referred me to cardiologist just in case. CT scan was not recommended due to risk-benefits.

Just trying to see what might be the cause and if I need CT scan or any other work at all. I am 31, fit, work out every second day and do not smoke. Most important, I have never had headaches before this episode.

Thank you!
Did anyone, including the ER do a brain MRI?  It sounds like you need one to rule out an aneurism (aneurysm) (abnormal widening and weakening of a blood vessel, sometimes hereditary) or any other brain abnormality.  I would back off on exercises that cause you to strain or elevate your BP until you see a Neurologist for further evaluation.  Get copies of your records and films for the new doctor.
Thanks for reply, no, MRI has not been done. I have been asked about and explained what aneurism (aneurysm) is, no family history, no-smoker, under 40, doctor told these could be factors. I will go and try to get referral.

I was of course worried at first and thought it could be a tumor. Do you think this is unlikely?
Were you referred from the ER to see a Neurologist?  You can't get a referral from the ER to have an MRI; this needs to come from a specialist (usually in this case a Neurologist).  

If you haven't made an appt. to see a Neurologist, make one.  If you can't get in right away, make an appt. with your PCP to get the ball rolling and he/she can perhaps order the MRI and refer you to a Neurologist.