Neurology Community
Severe pain in back of Head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Severe pain in back of Head

Just had 2 MRI's.1st MRI was for my spine as I was having major neck pain with very minimal movement.Findings:No Alignment abnormalities.Cord appears normal in calibre & signal intensity.At C3-4 there is left paracentral osteochondral bar present.At C4-5 there is a small central osteochondral bar but no cord compression or foraminal narrowing.At C5-6 there is a central osteochondral bar and annular tear.This results in mild effacement of the anterior subarachnoid space and minimally abuts the anterior spinal cord.IMPRESSION:Degenerative change as described above, most marked at C5-6.2nd MRI was for my brain as I was having severe pain/tenderness from occipital bone to top of my head + blurry vision.Findings:Several tiny foci of T2 white matter hyperintensity seen predominantly bifrontally with a few lesions see within the parietal love and a single lesion within th eleft temporal love.No lesions withing the corpus callosum or psterior fossa.No resitricted diffusion.No susceptibilty artifact is see on gradient echo.The ventricles, basal cisterns and sulcia are preserved No mass lessions.Of note there is suggestion of a partially empty sella.The pituitary stalk is slightly deviated posteriorly.Suprasellar structures incl. suprasellar cistern, internal carotid arteries, cavernous sinuses, and optic chiasm are unremarkable with no evident of mass effect or abnormal sinal intensity.Orbits normal.Note of left maxillary polypoid thickening. Q:Physio+50 mg of Arthrotec help with some neck movement but head still tender.Based on MRI how serious is this? I'm 36 Male and very concerne
You have neck pain and occipital headache with blurry vision and brain lesions.  While neck pain could be anything from a little arthritis to muscular pain to, what's called "occipital neuralgia," the brain lesions are unusual.  Did you have your MRI with contrast?  I think if you see a neurologist, he should order a spinal tap to make sure you don't have any kind of meningeal infection or demyelinating problems.
I'm not too sure whether the mri was in contrast.  Unfortunately in Toronto, there is almost a 6 month waiting list to see a Neurologist.  I'm just waiting hoping that forums like this one can shed some light on what is going on after reading my MRI report.

sk
heh...  I guess that's the price you pay for cheap medical care...  too bad :(   If you don't feel good or have worsening symptoms, you should go straight to the Emergency room.
For the lesion I would suggest an MRI.  Lesions are usually linked to Multiple Schlerosis, don't want to scare you any.  But, it will be necessary.  Would your doctor be able to help you any in speeding the test?  Hope this helps.
My doctor is trying to get a quick appt with the neurologist asap.  In the meantime, I have faxed all my reports, MRI and blood work to my uncle in NJ who is the head of Neurology in of the hospitals there.  So hopefully I will find out soon enough how severe this problem is.

sk
Lesions can also be associated with Lyme Disease and migraines - not always MS
Well my doctor was able to get a neurologist to see me immediatley.  He didn't think that I had MS, but he still said that the lesions shouldn't be happening at this young age.  Thus my family doctor has now sent a referral to Montreal which supposedly has the #1 Neurlogical Hospital in the world.  My uncle in New Jersey who is a neurologist concurs as he send his patients to Montreal..

I will keep everyone posted....

sk