Neurology Community
Severe pain in both calves, ankles, feet, swelling, hard to walk

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been searching and searching trying to come up with an answer for this sudden swelling and pain in both of my calves, my ankles and feet.  The first day that this happened I went to hop out of bed to get ready for work and about hit the floor.  I have had little red spots, not bumps, that look like small bruises, they are now actual small bruise colored and not red anymore and no new ones have show up in the last 3 days.  The bottoms of my feet even hurt to put any pressure on, my skin is painful to the touch and being a side sleeper hasn't been working, I cannot have one leg resting on the other.  Today, which is day 5, my left knee is so swollen that I can't straighten my leg out at all, not even laying on my back in bed is working for that leg.  My right leg is still very painful as well.  Walking uphill I have to turn my feet out completely and take it SUPER SLOW because my legs just will not flex in that direction.  I have been to the Dr and my kidneys, liver, thyroid and heart are all functioning fine.  My UA came back just fine.  I was sent to get a Ultra Sound on both of my legs to rule out blood clots and my blood is flowing through both legs (kind of a cools sound!).  I am 39 years young, healthy and work on my feet 9 - 12 hours between 6 and 7 days a week, it just depends on the week.  There are stairs that I am up and down ALL DAY LONG at work as well, I think of it as getting paid to do the stairmaster.  For the last 4 days I have been really stuffed up as well, not runny nose kind of thing but just dried out and stuffed up, not sure if that is related to this at all.  Add a little fatigue no matter the sleep I get and the constant headache, even though I am taking 2 Excedrin Back and Body and 12 IB's a day and that about sums up what is going on.  The IB's seem to bring the swelling down a little but my ankles are still about 75% larger then normal.   I am going back to the Dr tomorrow morning and would really like to have some better questions to be asking.  All of the things I have read about now RSD, Edema, Cellulitis, Fibromyalgia and the symptoms don't seem to be matching up for me.  Thank You in Advance for any help you can give me!!

,
Sori I cant give you help, but just want to say I symathize with you - it is so frustrating when something is obviously wrong, but everything medical says it is not. Meantime you must suffer - I hope you find answers and importantly treatment very soon, I too used to be very active and find it hell to be restricted to a life so foreign to the one I had. I wish you all the best.cheers, Su
Thank You Su.... very kind words and thoughtful of you to share them with me.  I went back in today and they sucked some more blood out of me and sent it in for more tests, still no clue what is happening!  Hopefully soon we will know....
Do you know what you have? I am a mother of four and my four year old daughter has the same symptoms and right now I too am just crying out for help. So heart breaking to see my daughter in so much pain. I pray all the time lord to heal her. Please if you could pass any info  I would really appreciate it. TIA
I experienced similar pain, couldn't walk up and down stairs without huge pain and hanging onto bannister for dear life.  Ankles were really swollen too.  I adopted a grain free, low carb diet and the pain disappeared.  I also make sure no gluten in my diet now.  No bread, no pasta, no rice and no sugar.  Mostly meat, fish and vegetables and eggs.  I feel like I regained 10 years of my life when pain disappeared.  Good luck to you.