Neurology Community
Severe pain in deltoid muscle of left arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had surgery on my neck fusing C3-C7, for the past couple of days I have had the most excurciating pain that I have had. It feels as if someone is hitting me in my deltoid muscle and charle horsing me arm. Is this the typical pain to have while healing.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

I doubt that still some nerves may be compressing even after surgery that is causing deltoid muscle pain. Generally pain/numbness in the arm, shoulder and back portion of the head originates from the neck problems due to irritation in the cervical (neck) spine since the nerves that supply these areas start in the upper cervical spine.  Mostly, this kind of pain aggravates after turning head and typically occurs in patients with previous neck injuries that causes disc bulge and in patients with marked arthritis of the upper cervical spine. In addition, this pain exacerbate with prolonged sitting in a stooped posture and when working on a computers for long hours.  If you suffer continuous pain, numbness at these areas, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

Take Care & Regards!!!