Severe shocking and Burning pain in one side of neck
I am only 28 and have a severe nerve issue in the right side of my neck.  It started over a week ago as a shock to the base of my head at the C3 vertebrae.  All day it was sensitive and I thought it itched so I kept scratching then thinking I maybe had a rash.  The next day the sensitivity continued to the top of the right side of my neck but still no rash.  I was thinking maybe shingles at that point and the rash would come out.  By the next day it had again traveled to the middle of the right side of my neck along with a numbing sensation (kind of like when your foot falls asleep) Also when I ran my fingers or anything else along that area it felt like pins and needles or static electricity.  At these points if anything touched the area it would create an attack, first I would feel the static electricity feeling and then an intense burning or heat would continue for several minutes.  By Friday of that week it was now also to the top of the right side of my chest just under my shoulder blade.  But still No Rash.

I saw a doctor the following Monday and he did an EKG which proved to be normal.  He put me on Muscle Relaxers (which aren't working for the sensitive burning pain) and told me to use moist heat (which actually made the sensation worse and unbearable! and brought it on very quickly).  He also sent me for X-rays of the C-spine.  

I can't even sleep at night because the slightest touch and my neck reacts with the burning pain so the pillow case or even the blanket around my neck bothers it.  I have to only wear shirts that are wide at the top so it does not touch my neck as well as have to wear my hair up so it does not touch either.  

The X-Rays came back as a minor Muscle spasm.  I asked if this could cause a pinched nerve, because now these feelings are even more intense and all day today I felt a numbing pain as well in the cervical area. The doctor is referring me to an Orthopedist and increasing the pain medication to Vicodin.  I also have an appointment with a Chiropractor this week to take a look at the X-rays and put in his opinion.  

Does anyone have any other opinions on what this might be?  

Yes, it definitely sounds like a pinched nerve, probably a bone spur or something compressing a nerve. I have a lot cervical spine issues myself, and what you were saying about you shirts. I went through the exact same thing. You can't really tell whats going in your neck from an X-ray, particularly if its a nerve issue, If your Orthopedist feels its warranted, he/she might order an MRI.

One other thing, having a Chiropractor fooling around with your neck, particularly when you don't know whats wrong is not a good idea.

Take Care
Thank you for your question. Your symptoms may be due to Cervical spondylosis or due to nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of injury or prolapse where contact between the edges of the vertebrae can cause neck pain. In few people, this pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head (as electric sensation)- LHERMITTES SIGN, shoulders, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) and stiffness. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe Pain killers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar/stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement. In addition, cervical traction may also be suggested by the doctor, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.
All- it turned out to be MS that I have.  They put me on neurontin for the symptoms and Copaxone for disease maintenance.