Neurology Community
Severe tingling / numbness in hands and feet...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I was diagnosed with GBS 3 and a half years ago and have since felt completely recovered. In about a week and a half's time the numbness and weakness spread from my right to left foot, then right to left hand, and didn't go much further. I was in physical therapy for awhile and was walking normally within the year. I was still randomly suffering tingling in my hands or feet. Never consistent.

However the last few weeks I have been experiencing tingling in my hands and feet more often.
Every few days or so the tingling and numbness was bad enough enough that I had a little trouble
walking and working with my hands.

Today I woke up and my hands were tingling to the point it felt like burning. They have been like this consistently all day, and it does not feel good. I have not had any changes to my usual daily routine, and Have been taking good care of myself.

Recently, my doctor ordered blood work for me and nothing was out of the ordinary. I still have the results of the blood work with me. My doctor didn't seem to think anything was wrong but I honestly am frightened as this is very uncomfortable and seems to be getting worse.

What could be going on and should I seek a second opinion ? This is really killing me. I almost feel like going to the ER but I'm just hoping it'll go away again as I can't afford any more bills right now. thanks

Could it be Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy aka Complex Regional Pain Syndrome...the pain is like burning, even touching it hurts.  I have it.  What seems to help me when I'm flaring is a hot bath...i know that seems unconstructive since you already feel "on fire" but it might help.  The feelings you describe sound like a neuropathy (like GBS) and RSD is like that, too.  I put a little epsom salt in my baths.  Hope this helps.  Ask you doc...no TELL your doc you want help for this...you are paying him.
Hi Thank you for your question. Most likely your symptoms could be due to injury to a nerve, pressure on spinal or peripheral nerves (neuropathy), vitamin deficiency, lack of blood supply due to cholesterol plaque from atherosclerosis in the extremities, viral infection and use of certain medications.  In addition, atherosclerosis can also cause pain, numbness, and tingling while walking and they can also reduce blood supply and lead to numbness. Please consult your doctor to get all these possibilities evaluation in your case for further assessment. Hope this helps.