Neurology Community
Shaking muscles help

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Shaking muscles help

Hello everyone.  I'm hoping one of you can help me with my problem.

It first started earlier this year when I was walking down the stairs one morning.  I noticed that my legs were really shaky when I was walking down the stairs.  Have you ever exercised your muscles until the point of them shaking?  That is what it's like, but I had just woken up and had not been doing any sort of strenuous activity.  It's a bit unusual for me because I am a fairly active 17-year-old and my leg muscles are not weak.  Oddly, I would only feel it when slowly walking down the stairs and not notice it walking up the stairs.  Also, they only shake when they are in the PROCESS of bending.

Then, I started noticing some shaking in my shoulder area when moving my arms down.  They don't shake if they are being held in a steady position or if I am moving them up.  Another area that I began to notice is the shaking of my lower back as I bend over.  Sometimes my fingers shake as well.  Again, none of my muscles shake when being held in a steady position.  They only shake in the process of moving in certain ways.

At first, I thought that I was just imagining things.  However, one day my family went out to eat and we ordered some chips and dip.  I had to reach across the table to reach the dip, and I moved slowly so as not to spill anything.  As I brought the chip up to my mouth, my brother started laughing because he noticed my arm was shaking.  I was kind of surprised that I wasn't imagining the shaking.

Anyway, at first, I thought that this shaking would only happen in the morning.  I take dance classes in the mornings and usually had a hard time with shaking in the beginning of the class, but later in the day I would be fine.  However, in one of my evening classes the other night, I had a difficult time with the shaking arms and legs.  It's not noticeable to others because I am constantly moving, but it's difficult for me to balance when I shake like this.  I know the shaking is not due to hypoglycemia either, as I had eaten before class.

I would really like to know the cause of this issue.  Like I said before, I've ruled out hypoglycemia.  Also, stress does not seem to be a factor as I have not been stressed lately.  Some days are worse than others, but it makes dancing more difficult so I would like to resolve it.  Other than dance, it's not really a concern.  My little brother is the only one who noticed it that one time.

Could I be dehydrated and not know it?  Any other ideas?

Thanks and I really appreciate it.
I would recommend consulting a Neurologist for a work-up and getting imaging of your spine.  
Thanks for your response.  However, I'd like to try and make some lifestyle changes before seeing a doctor, as this really only bothers me when I dance.  Anything you could suggest that would help rule out some things?  I'm going to try drinking water more often.

And just out of curiosity, why spinal imaging?
Imaging of your spine, i.e. MRI of the spine in your case, I would recommend an MRI of your Cervical Spine as well as your Lumbar spine.  The Neurologist can do more extensive testing if warranted.  

How many hours are you dancing and what kind of dance are you doing?  

Are you carrying any extra weight?  

What "lifestyle" changes are you making?  

You DEFINITELY need to see a physician especially if this has been going on for weeks even if it ISN'T constant.  Please go and get checked.  

What do your parents think; I just noticed you were only 17.  Please discuss this with them as well.
Well, I was a bit hasty about the stress thing not causing it.  I noticed today it definitely affected the shakiness in the morning when I first woke up.

As for the changes, I'm going to try getting more sleep, drinking more water, attempting to not stress out over things, etc.

I dance around ten hours a week in different styles like ballet, jazz, etc.  I have not injured myself or anything though.

Carrying extra weight?  I'm not quite sure what you mean.  I don't have to carry any heavy objects around and I'm not overweight.

I haven't told my parents because I really don't find it to be that big of a deal.  The muscle shaking is only really noticeable to me some times when I'm dancing.  No one else has noticed and it doesn't affect my everyday activities.
Well, it must be somwhat of a concern because you sought recommendations from MH.  

I would recommend consulting your physician about this as this is NOT normal.  I am not certain if this is something serious brewing or not.  Best to check it out though.  No one can diagnose or treat you over the internet.

Definitely doesn't sound like anything to do with dehydration.  

Carrying any extra weight=overweight.  

Haha, yes I did come here, but I was hoping someone had a quick fix.  I was wondering if it sounded like some kind of vitamin deficiency or something I could fix on my own.

I've always been a bit of a hypochondriac though, but thanks for your advice.  I'll definitely let my doctor know at my next check-up if it's still happening.
Hey, how are you going with the shaking thing? have you solved it?
Hi -i have a similar thing and its getting worse gradually. Do you have any more information on what it is? I get a sort of juddering, jerky and not smooth movement when raising my leg, when walking down stairs, and when I stop and try to hold a position like a squat my legs will start shaking as though I have held that position for a long time. Any help in diagnosing would really be appreciated as I am worrying about this a lot, thanks,
I'm having the same problem on my arms and hands. Did you figure out what could be?
Sorry guys, I haven't figured it out.  I was really only concerned because I noticed it quite a bit when doing my sport.  Now that I don't do it anymore I don't notice it as much.
Hello, i realize this is an old post, but i have the same symptoms you had here. I wondered if you ever figured it out?