Neurology Expert Forum
Shaking while sleeping?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Shaking while sleeping?

I have been having odd experiences while asleep. Its hard to explain but here it is the best i can describe. In the mid of the night, I wake up to the feeling of vibrations/shaking of my body and the bed, my eyes have to be open becasue i can see but cant move them, ill have a major feeling of fear for a couple seconds, but cant move a bit....then it will go away and i feel exhausted, dizzy and just icky all around. and Im tingling a lil after it. I thought at first this could be sleep paralysis, but im not seeing creepy things or anything like that, just my bedroom.

Could this be seizures??
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are several possible explanations for your symptoms. In general, if you are awake and aware of the symptoms that are occurring, and there is no convulsive activity (shaking) occuring of a limb, a seizure is less likely, though still a possibility. Some forms of nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy can be simple arousals from sleep. Otherwise, most often, the seizures that occur during the night (nocturnal seizures) are seen as a generalized convulsions, associated with an impairment in consciousness, and/or with convulsive activity rather than a sensation of being paralyzed but otherwise awake and alert.

Yet another possibility is that you were awakened because of poor breathing, such as occurs with sleep apnea. This most often occurs in overweight people who snore, though it can occur in various other types of body habitus, such as thin people with narrow throats.

Anxiety, panic disorder waking you up at night, could lead to hyperventilation, which can then lead to body tingling.

There is a specific type of sleep paralysis that occurs with narcolepsy, in which a person is a wake but transiently can not move any body part. This is most often associated with daytime sleep attacks or attacks of sudden loss of must power (what is termed cataplexy).

It could be something as simple as your awakening was preceded by a nightmare that woke you up.

As you can see there are a variety of potential causes. Discussion of your symptoms with your primary doctor/family physician is recommended, with evaluation by a sleep medicine specialist and a sleep study (polysomnogram) as indicated. This study could detect seizures, sleep apnea, and other forms of sleep disorders.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Hello Doc,
I have had some similar experience. It seems that I shake my body while I am asleep. I have felt it once or twice when I was half asleep, where it was similar to fits: shaking my legs (like kicking or trying to hit something) and maybe body too..However my partner tells me that I often shake my body a lot while asleep and I tend to shake more if I had couple of drinks.
Please advise
oh my gosh the same thing happens to me bc ill be half asleep &then my body just uncontrollably shakes &im wide awake but the shakes so hard sometimes its scary or hurts!
&its just so scary &uncontrollable ;( i don't like the feeling!
A related discussion, Sleep paralysis and shaking was started.
I seem to tremble like I'm about to have a seziure when I'm sleep. Then when I get up, I began to tremble even more. It feels like I'm freezing. I cover up with lots of blankets, then I calm down. I have to turn the air conditioner off
I seem to tremble like I'm about to have a seziure when I'm sleep. Then when I get up, I began to tremble even more. It feels like I'm freezing. I cover up with lots of blankets, then I calm down. I have to turn the air conditioner off. Is it low blood or something? I'm 37 now so I think I'm not old enough to have low blood.
A related discussion, Shaking uncontrollable sweating then hot flushes was started.
A related discussion, Shake while asleep was started.
A related discussion, sleep paralysis or apnea or something like that? was started.
A related discussion, Body trembles at night was started.