Neurology Community
Sharp Back & Rib Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sharp Back & Rib Pain

I have had this sharp back pain as if my ribs are piercing me where they meet the spine, I also feel as if my rib-cage is being pushed forward. I also find that when I urinate my bladder does not fully empty and I have to continue in dribs and drabs until fully empty, even then I feel the bladder is not totally empty. I have been for a number of sessions to chiropractor and it seems to have got worse. Before this pain started I had a different problem, my back was slightly hurting and I had gone to a different chiropractor who made it worse and I started getting headaches. I then fell headlong and my headaches disappeared but my mid back started hurting so I went and had an X Ray, results as below, then the second chiropractor and it is now really bad. Please help.

Indication:  Back pain.
Findings:  Evidence of degenerative change, although minor involving the lower
thoracic and mid lumbar spine in the form of osteophyte formation.  There is also
some slight loss of intervertebral disc height at L5-S1.  The alignment and
vertebral heights are preserved.
Your x-rays indicate that you have degenerative changes, which means that these are due to aging or old trauma.  

However your urinary symptoms concern me and could indicate a urinary tract infection.  Sometimes when these infections are not treated they work their way up to the kidneys which are located in the back area.  You need to see a doctor to be evaluated and to have your urine tested to make sure you do not have a urinary tract infection.  Do not hesitate in seeing a doctor; if you do have an infection it could cause serious kidney damage.  Let us know how you do.
Thank you foggy
You're welcome. :-)
Although you know that you have degenerative changes in your spine, the symptoms you have with regard to not being able to empty your urine properly could be due to a urinary tract or prostate problem.

Make an appointment to see your doctor and take a morning mid stream urine sample for the doctor to test.  He will check your urine with a urine testing strip which will show if you have a urinary infection.  If so, he will either prescribe an antibiotic for you and/or send the urine sample to be tested at the lab.  

Do tell the doctor about your urine problem about not feeling that you have emptied your bladder properly, because this may be due to an enlargement of the prostate and the doctor will examine you to make sure that there is no problem with the prostate.  If there is any enlargement of the prostate,  the doctor will refer you to a urologist and may also take blood tests to check for kidney function and prostate problems.

Pain in the back in the area that you mention can also be from kidney problems and may be due to kidney stones.  Kidney stones do not always show up on xrays.  A kidney stone can be as small as a grain of sand, but they can still cause a lot of problems.

Do make sure that you do drink plenty of water, about 2 litres (4 pints) is usually recommended.  do not drink more than this unless instructed by the doctor or the urologist.
Thank you jemma for your comment, but if you read my first post, I mentioned everything you did other than the prostate (I do not know his age), however I'm sure the GU MD will also check this out if needed.

@ cyborguru,

Do keep us informed how you are doing.  I hope you feel better soon. :-)

Hi - sometimes the original poster will receive more than one response, and some of the suggestions/comments may be duplicated.  That is just fine, and we encourage the OP to get as many opinions as possible.
Thank you Kirsty for your feedback. I will keep that in mind.