Neurology Community
Sharp Pain Back of Head Behind Ear

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sharp Pain Back of Head Behind Ear

Hi, I'm 16 yrs. old and I've been having these pains for about two years. I would be anything from schoolwork, to internet browsing, to watching tv, to eating, to even just laying down in the dark and I would get these intense sharp pains on the back of my head behind my right ear. This pain only occurs in this location and it comes and goes. At first the pains were simply a nuesance as they would come and go and weren't that bad, but lately they're getting worse causing me to stop what I'm doing until they go away. Durations last anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes. I haven't seen a doctor about this specifically but I've tiptoed around it and they tell me not to worry. What could it be and what could trigger it?

P.S. I'm a student in New Technology High School so I work a lot with computers, also I have recently been diagnosed as having GERD or an ulcer (in the upper stomach/lower esophagous area) but the pains came first, I'm average weight and height and I don't exercise regularly but make a point to exercise at least twice a week.
Hi guero,
How are you feeling now?
Pain at the back of right ear suggest, some kind of nerve compression at the exit from the cervical rib.
As you are computer specialists and have to be in one posture for long, also points that it might be related.
You need to see an orthopaedician and if possible a neurologist to rule out any pathological state.
X-ray of cervical ribs will help to come to some conclusion.
Examination by a specialist is foremost important.
hi,
sorry about you physical as well as mental agony.
I would suggest you to fix up an appointment with your family physician and if necessary an neurologist.
Thank you. Really appreciate the responses. You guys gave me a lot of information and convinced me to set up a schedule with my doctors. At this moment as I write this I feel fine, the symptoms of the ulcer/GERD have retreated and have not bothered me so far. The only pain is the pain I get in the back of my head. But you guys have given me some great input, thank you. If anyone else has some suggestions would appreciate it as it may take some time for my doctor to make room for me.
Hi.

Are there any other symptoms present aside from the pain? Any history of previous severe ear infection? Any trauma to the head? Do you experience visual problems?

It is possible that the pain may be due to a pinched nerve or a atlantoaxial subluxation. However, if you have any symptoms related to your vision or an "aura", migraine headache could also be considered.

Do consult a physician at the earliest possible time.  You should also have your ulcer checked out because if you haven't really changed your eating habits and lifestyle, it might recur. If you smoke or drink alcohol, I would advise you to refrain from them.

Good luck.
In response to your first question about any other pain, no. Every now and then I have some random small muscle twitching but it's not that significant or bothersome, it feels like a blood vessel is being rushed. To answer your second question no I haven't had any severe ear infections. I did have a serious blow to the head from the sharp end of plastic lunch box about 8-9 years ago (when I was in fourth grade). The wound bled for hours but I was home medicated. I still have the scar. Oh, I received the wound on the upper top right of my head. As far as visual problems, I wear contacts and glasses because my vision pretty much is shot without some sort of assistance. As far as any other visual problems, not that come to mind so far. And I have changed my diet since the ulcer checkup and stopped drinking beer.

Thank you.
I've been experiencing similar, random sharp pains behind my ear as well. I'm going to see a doctor about it tomorrow. I was just wondering if you've seen a doctor yet and what they said to you about it.
I have been experiencing the exact same thing as you have for years. As you stated in the beginning it was just a bothersome sharp pain behind my left ear that would be fleating but now when they come they last for a couple seconds to a minute. Just now I was taking a practice test on the computer when I received one that lasted almost a minute and it made me drop my computer mouse to grab my head. It was excruciatingly painful. When you went to the doctor did they have any advice on what it is and what causes it?
     I was reading and some of the others here that seem to have my same problem.  I have sharp pains behind my ears and even above.  I decided to google this problem and it seems there are hundreds if not thousands with this problem.  I am a 30yr old male and am healthy outside of back pain.  So I don't quite understand what this could be. I do however have scoliosis and Sherman's disease.  Could this somehow be connected?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                           Thanks so much,
                                                   Tony
am a 42 year old woman who also has sharp but short breath taking pain behind my left ear, no infections, they last about 30 seconds. I have suffered from neck pain for years but nothing like this before. I am leveling out emotionally after much grief over a close friends death - along with raising teenagers. Could this be stress related or a pinched nerve? I need relief but walking into the ER feels so lame. Suggestions?

Sarah
i just now started getting these pains behind my ear too. im a 19 years old college student.  i get a sharp pain behind my left ear. i counted it 12 times yesterday. its not an unbarable pain but its really wierd. if anyone has found out what it is please let me know.
the pain i feel is on the right and behind my right ear but it doesnt effect my whole head it feels like a needle is going in and it lasts from 10 seconds to 1 minute and i could just be laying down to watching tv it doesnt matter really what position im in when they accure and ive experience these epidsodes my whole life
I'm a 52 woman with 5 grown children, active teacher, and Let me begin by saying, I've hardly had a headache in my entire life.

But I started having these "somewhere in between stabbing and gnawing" pains in the right back of my head three days ago; they've since moved to just behind my ear. At times the pain is just bothersome, and at others, it almost takes my breath away. I do have two neck disc herniations but never have I had any pain such as this. My husband an ER nurse, says it's nothing, but I'm kinda scared because my mother's family had many problems with stomach aneurisms.  
Have you ever considered your wisdom teeth being the problem???
I googled this as well trying to figure out what is going on in the back of my head.  I saw a doctor 5 years ago, an ENT, and he told me that it was a pulled muscle.  It makes sense because it only flares up after I run.  I have had 2 children since, stopped running and haven't had any problems.  Well, I started running at the first of the year, and I am up to 5 miles now.  The pain in unbearable.  Tylenol is the best for it.  I've tried Motrin and a muscle relaxer (since I was told it was muscular) and they do not help.  I really would like for it to go away because I do not want to be dependent on Tylenol.  I also would like to continue to run.
Its not the wisdom teeth, I am having the same problem right now and I have had all my wisdom teeth pulled. I have also been having headaches and I know I need to go to the chiropractor. I know it must be related, It must be from either your back being out of wack or a combination of that and stress. Yes it does feeling like stabbing pains and it keeps me up at night. I will let you know if it goes away after my chiropractor visit.
I have had the same problem (sharp pain behind right ear) since 2004 and saw an ENT.  I had an x-ray and the Dr. said it appeared I had a lymph node and muscle that were actually working together to pinch a nerve.  He said the only option was surgery and it was too risky with the nerve being so close to the face.  I got a 2nd opinion from another ENT and she said the muscle in question was actually "inflamed" due to TMJ.  I was basically diagnosed to get regular massages and use a bite plate at night.  This was about 3 years ago.  I can't afford and don't have time for regular massages and have just given up.
Not sure if what I have is similar.  It's like a sharp stabbing pain behind the ear.  The area around that pain feels like it's bruised.  It lasts for several days at a time and goes away.  Sometimes half of my face will feel slightly bruised also or numb. Tylenol helps.  

I have always related it to an unbalance issue.  I first started getting it when I was carrying my backpack around on one arm.  Now, I work mostly sitting, and it starts up every once in a while.  I am trying to take a lot more walks, which does seem to help, as other muscles get annoyed from sitting too long.

When I saw a neurologist about it, he had no clue.
I am searching the web.  I have had a pain behind my left ear ever since I was in a car accident over a year ago.  It feels like a burning sensation and can go into sharp pains.  I am going to a chiropractor and after the adjustment it lessens.  Here is what I have found out, form me, it has to do with a torn trochanter  due to the impact of the car accident.

I am still searching because it has not gone away, I just know how to manage it now to get some of the pain to lessen.  
I have had the same pain for about five years and I am twenty one right now. Stress seems to be the cause of the pain and I used to do gymnastics religiously. My doctor said it was a muscle spasm in my neck. I have found exercises, muscle relaxers, tylenol, ibuprofen, vicodin, and percocet to be ineffective. The best way i have learned to treat this pain is to sleep with a tempurpedic pillow and honestly smoke marijuana. I hate marijuana but the medicinal properties of it are amazing with muscles. I take one or two hits, go to bed and in the morning i feel great. Hope this helps some of you.
In reading other posts under another title I found a reference to the sharp head pains you all describe. I have them too so I took notice and looked up online what they called "Ice Pick Headache". It's a form of migrain.
I have had these same pains for 15 years also.It hasn't worsened. it is very interesting to see others have it also. Mine seem to be when I ve had to take sinious meds. Its happens so fast that it seems wierd to rush to the dr. I have talked with them about it,at first. but no one seems concerned. My concern was when the pain hits while driving, I fear crashing,its so sharp sometimes I have to grab my neck and breath deep breaths for it to ease up. it too only last seconds to a minute. I have always wondered it cell phone use may be the cause. What do you think?
I wouldn't think too much on medical emergency issues now after reading these posts, or there would be someone on here that has had a conclusion to this problem after having it for yrs anyways.Neck massage or chropractors may be helpful for tention problems. there are great massage devices for home use at pharmacies at reasonable prices.
I too have started very recently with these pains.  I'm a 37yo male in a high stress job.  I have been known to grind my teeth at night but have not done much for it.  Approximately 1 week ago I started coming down with the flu (presumably swine).  Around the same time I started noticing a sharp, brief (< 3 seconds) stabbing pain behind my left ear, around the mastoid process.  After a couple of days the pain moved to the same spot on the right side and has remained.  I get about 5 of these pains randomly per hour all day long.  They do not wake me from sleep.  I cannot reproduce them reliable through repositioning, stretching, anything.  I don't they are ice pick headaches due to the reliability of the location.  I am convinced they are related to TMJ, stress, and the general inflammatory condition I am in now.  I do appreciate reading through everyone's responses as now I don't feel so alone in this!  I will be trying Tylenol for symptom relief.
I just had an episode where I was standing one minute and the next on the floor. The pain was so sharp, it felt like someone stabbed me in the top of my head with some sharp thin tool and the pain went straight down the top of my head thru my ear and into my teeth. I was on the floor holding my head for my deal life. After the pain left, 2 minutes later, the pain in my head isnt so bad but it scared me. Anyone have any information on what this could be? Please let me know!

Scared in Maine
i've also had this pain- on the left side of my head. does anyone think it could be caused from cell phone radiation? i only use my cell phone on the left side. i have a problem with a tooth on that side, so maybe it's related to that as well. i'm like some of the other people on here who work on the computer- sometimes 17 hours a day. when i get this pain, it's really sharp and feels like a needle poking that one point about 1 1/2 inches from my ear and it freaks me out. the pain shoots either from, or to, that point from my neck.
I'm 32 female and this is the first time I ever felt sharp pains from my right ear. After reading through everyone's painful experiences, I've concluded that mine could be related to the following: right tooth problem, pulling a neck muscle during weight-lifting, carrying my purse on the right shoulder, cell-phone use on the right and jaw-clenching in my sleep. I wonder if it is all connected. I'm going to contact my doctor and see if she finds anything. It's good to know I'm not alone in this, yet, I'm sad for everyone experiencing this horrible sharp pains. I'm also going to look into acupuncture. I'll post if anything improves.
I got new glasses a couple of months ago, and the bow was pressing
into my head by the left ear.  It felt like a bruising pain, so I had them
adjusted but ended up returning them.  Now 2 months later, I still have
tenderness and  pain on the left side of my head, near the ear where
glasses bow sits.  It's like a bruise feeling with twinges of pain.
My doctor said it's from the glasses, I feel like its a compressed vessel
or nerve pain.  
I am a 37 year old male and have had a recent bout of these intensely painful sensations behind the right ear, located about an inch behind the hair line in the hard, nobbly bit near the base of the skull (sorry, I don't know the technical term for this part of the head).  
The pain is a throbbing sensation, seems to come on for no apparent reason and usually lasts between five and thirty minutes. I teach in an adult education facility so spend a lot of time sat at a desk, marking papers etc.  I exercise regularly and pay a lot of attention to posture. I am slim build, average height.  No previous medical conditions or problems. I have tried to combat the pain by reducing the stress, meditation, regularly checking and adjusting posture, alexander technique, chiropractic sessions and a host of drugs from aspirin and paracetamol to codeine, carisprodol (soma) and others.  The symptoms remain untouched by these medicines.  The only help I found was by the anti-inflammatory naproxen.  
I can trace this present bout of pain back three weeks, when I began to feel generally unwell and stressed.  That;s when the pain started.  Prior to this occasion I experienced a shorter episode (one or two attacks within a week of each other - that was two years ago).  
Exercise and movement helps but when I stop the pain can return within half hour and on occasion is even more painful than before.  
I have to say, I rarely visit the doc and have a high pain threshold but this has floored me.  It is the most intense pain I have experienced.  I live in Los Angeles and don't have medical insurance.  Any advice or suggestions are gratefully received!!  
I'm also having a random sharp pain behind my ear on the back of my head, feels like it is bruised.  It just started TODAY and it lasts 1-2 seconds and then a lingering feeling that it's bruised.

So far, I can only say it might be due to working out heavier than usual in the past week; my chest and pecks are really sore.  But I also experience teeth grinding at night, stiff shoulders, and i'm getting over 1.5 years of job related and social stress.

I got rid of the things that were stressing me (got a new job) so I thought I'd be feeling better.  But I'm probably suffering from 1.5 years of subconscious unhealthy habits...  or it was the heavy workout... or both.  I'll be going to a doctor soon and will reply here.
i am a 62 year old woman. i have been experiencing these symptoms for 50 years. i just deal with it. here is my advice: SUCK IT UP!  
After reading several websites today, because I am currently experiencing this sharp stabbing pain behind my left ear.  This started last night and I only woke up once during the night and the pains were so sharp I actually shut my eyes and my whole body jerked each time.  Somehow they stopped.  But they have started again and am no currently experiencing them every 30sec or so, but they only last for maybe 1-3sec. I also get them on the right side of my head, in the middle above my ear.  These are the only 2 places I've ever felt this pain, and on the right side I would consider it severe because I stop all activity when it happens.

I am currently seeing a chiropractor for a whiplash injury, so I don't think he could help with this as well, and this has been going on for months if not years and I had not even thought to research it til now!  I'm also in school for massage therapy and the idea of a pulled muscle makes more sense now.  I don't believe its neuralgia, and the brain doesn't contain any nerves, it is only the skin around the head that has the nerves.  So while there could be pressure buildup in the brain pushing on a nerve (thats what a normal headache is caused by), I don't think its the same thing.  I'm going to talk to my LMT who I am also seeing for my whiplash injury, because she may know something about Trigger Point Therapy.

As for not thinking you can afford massage, I suggest you call around for rates for "therapy" not relaxation massage.  Therapy massage may only be 30mins at a time and many therapists will work on a sliding payment scale based on your income.  Its worth it just to check it out.  You may also consider Cranialsacral massage work.  If you go the Licensed Massage Therapist route, check out someone certified in Cranialsacral orTrigger Point therapy.  This is just my opinion based on what I know of those 2 modalities.  Good luck!
I have had this pain on and off now for about 5 years it can put you on the floor it comes out of the blue , I have been to numerious doctors  and have an mri and cat scan they found a tumor but not related t o this pain.... the pain got so bad at one point i wanted to shoot myself, no med would reach it and i had the strongest!!!! i drove myself to the er and had a cat scan they said they found nothing 30 min after i left my left side of my face was paralizes. that was 3 years ago never came back all the way, they said bells palsey anyway i still get the pain mostly in the shower, what i noticed is when i wash my hair and make any kind of face movement i will get the pain puts me on the floor..
i have serched and serched for ans i have come to the conclusion it might have something to do with the salivia glands that is where im heading now what kind of doctor treats that ????
Saliva glands?!  You want a nose/throat doctor.  Just removing or having surgery will probably not help.  Luckily I don't seem to be having the pain nearly as bad as any of you (knock on wood).  And my pain has since stopped from a week ago.  I did some of my own research and found that area of the temporalis muscle and temporal bone is a trigger point from the occipitalis muscles located at the base of the skull.  Many other muscles also attach to that area, including all of the posture muscles.
I went to my Licensed Massage Therapist and mentioned this pain, she had never heard of it, and told her my Trigger Point theory, she worked me really well on my Sternocleidomastoid which is that large neck muscle that sticks out when you grit your teeth, because the pain for me was right around its attachment area.  And she also worked my Occipitals really well as well as my spine back muscles to be sure to hit all the places.  I haven't had any pain since.

ALL OF YOU, I suggest you find yourself a Massage Therapist, licensed, and one who is certified in Trigger Point Therapy, you should be able to call and ask.  If its about money, ask about a 30mins therapy session and what the rates are.  Don't be afraid to call around and ask this.  Some therapists work on a sliding fee scale, based on your income.  Its not charity, you deserve to find relief!

I hope this info helps you.  Go ahead and take my muscle names with you.  Google Trigger Point of the head and see if you can find a picture of the skull.  I stop by a book store and look in the medical or alternative medicine area.

Good luck
Hey, I had the same thing because my posture was bad. I then got some masages and it's slowly going away.
My daughter is 2 and has been having these sharp pains on the right side of her head for 6 months now. They went away for a few months but she had 3 epidodes yesterday. She grabs her head and justs screams and cry's for about 15 seconds and then its gone. Its horrible to watch as I cant do anything about it. The doctor said that as long as she can see and talk that I shouldnt worry! Im going back today for a second opinion.
obviously its the body's way of telling you somethings not right.

http://www.proactivehealth.co.nz/hemaview.html

1.GET A Hemaview blood scan!- it work's for everything and anything

i get the same thing and i recently found out i was lacking b12.

my boyfriend had a major eye issue.He went to several specialists and doctors. No one knew what was wrong so he was on heavy doses of steroids that could potentially lead him blind.  I suggested a hemaview blood scan and he found out he was allergic to a certain type of preservative. the eye issue was a reaction ... Now he is fine! so simple!

The natural way of treating your body will allways work!
medication will only take away the symptoms but not the cause

look it up :)

talk to a naturalist

get sum REAL help to your health problems

my boyfriend had a major eye issue.He went to several specialists and doctors. No one knew what was wrong so he was on heavy doses of steroids that could potentially lead him blind.  I suggested a hemaview blood scan and he found out he was allergic to a certain type of preservative. Now he is fine! so simple!

look it up :)

talk to a naturalist

There is a condition called Arnold Chiari Malformation that has many symptoms mentioned here.  It is a congenital condition where the cerebellar tonsil protrudes through the opening (foramen magnum) at the base of the skull blocking the cerebral spinal fluid from flowing properly.  Throbbing pain at the back of the head caused by valsalva maneuver (bearing down when you have a bowel movement, sneezing, coughing, lifting, etc.) is common with Chiari.  Burning, muscle tightness and stabbing pains are also common.
As her pediatrician to order an MRI of her head and cervical spine. There is something going on, she's not fine if she can walk and talk.  If her current doc won't do it, find another one who will.

Read what I posted previously about Chiari Malformation.
This has a been such a great help in my "wonders". Thx Guero for getting this inquiry going and hope we all feel better as time goes on!!! I have better insight and alot makes sense-truly.
I have been tossing around the theory that this pain I have today might be caused by a headband that I wore 24 hrs. ago, but poked behind my ear just enough to bruise.  The throbbing, stabbing pain near that notty part of skull behind the ear is similar to sharp shooting pain of an ear infection, but isolated to one exact spot on my skull. And the skin feels inflamed and almost like a "burn" to the touch.  Has anyone else here wear headbands?  
I really am a bit upset by your Chiari Malformation post.  Why?  Well I had an MRI done about 2 months ago, I was in a car accident back in March and was having consistent neck pain from it (unrelated to this pain) and my chiropractor ordered an MRI.  Which I was like fine, it will probably show some muscle tears, no biggie.

No, it showed a Syringomyelia, which is similar to the Chiari Malformation, except its not the brain that is protruding out.  It means: a disorder in which a cyst or cavity forms within the spinal cord.  Now I have one.  According to the neurologist, it may have been caused by the accident, or it could have been there since birth.  The doctor said since I'm not experiencing numbness or inability to feel hot and cool in my extremities, there is no reason to do anything about it.

There are 2 forms of Syringomyelia, Congenital which is caused by the formation of Chiari Malformation or Acquired which is caused by some sort of trauma.  It is diagnosed by an MRI, my dr told me a contrast MRI (where they inject you with ink-often painful) was not necessary.  

I am getting all this information for Wikipedia.  Please do some research yourself as there is a lot out there, but not all of it is correct.  Talk to your doctor!  Get a second opinion if you need to!
I'm having the same pain right now,I'm 15 years old and I just experienced it this morning,i just woke up all of a sudden with this sharp pain. i don't know what to do and the pain has been bugging me,and the pain only triggers when i try to move my head to the left(when i try to incline it to the left) and it's a sharp pain,I also observed that one of my left tooths are numb before I went to sleep,It has something to with that.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Welcome to the neurology forum of medhelp. Thanks for writing in. I understand your concern due to the agonizing condition. The pain could be emanating from conditions of ear or be a radiating pain from an infected tooth on the right side or a central headache like migraine localized to the right side of head. If there is headache associated with redness behind the ear alongwith tenderness on touching the bone behind the ear it could be mastoiditis(inflammation of bone behind the ear)or inflamed lymph node. Inflammation of the external ear or otitis externa is possible if the ear is swollen and hurts on pulling. This could be a occipital migraine headache, tension headaches, headache due to nerve compression in the cervical spinal cord. You need to see a neurologist for evaluation of your condition for quick diagnosis and treatment since it is interfering with daily chores. I hope this helps.

.
Good day Sir. I am also experiencing the problems they relayed to you. I am a college student, 19 yrs old. I am stress due to my disgusting grades on our law subject. I also have painful decayed tooth and I sleeping late at night which becomes habit. I always massage the head when pain occurs. hope you'll help me with this problem.
Sudden, weird, unexpected pains used to scare me too, I also used to get sharp stabbing pains in my head out of the blue.  I agree with deviant123 on go for the healthy routes first to adress these pains.
   Some of the things that were ailing me were gone with such simple things (after alot of research) such as taking:
-nascent iodine, regardless of what Doctors say, there aint enough in table salt! Why are so many getting thyroid problems?? (self test is fairly accurate). (When you take iodine, you should take selenium too). Iodine helps to rid the body of mercury and other heavy metals.
-vitamin D3 in the winter (sun in the summer)(I was tested and was low).
-magnesium, (I couldn't  afford magnesium oil (more bio-available) that you massage into your skin and achy muscles and which would also absorb transdermally (thru the skin) into the body for the cells to use) so I took magnesium chloride tabs which I've heard isn't as bioavailable as the oil but must have given my body some usable magnesium because my restless leg syndrome went away and that is what I originally wanted the magnesium oil for! (most people are low & there is no cheap test)
- Iron supplement (I like Salix brands' Floradix liquid iron, it helped me go from nearly needing a blood transfusion from anemia due to heavy heavy menstrual flow, in about a month, I had to go get a blood test every week until it was good) Most tablet iron from drugstores are not a form the body can use, it comes from industry(I was tested and was low).
-B-complex vitamin (as with all vitamins beware of the quality, it's better to pay more for high quality vitamins from a trustworthy company and have it do some good than buy cheap and get nothing! (B12 is known as the energy vitamin).
-Minerals in trace form, I like the drops. (with zinc, potassium, copper etc etc).Alot of these trace minerals are necessary for the uptake and /or absorption of vitamins, they are co-factors.)
-Omega 3's (Krill oil is best, go to Mercola.com to read why).People are not getting enough omega 3 fatty acids that are needed to build the myelin sheath that protects the nerve endings, peoples nerves are literally fraying, why do you think there is a greater than ever incidence of Multiple Sclerosis? The reason Krill oil is superior to other fish oils is that it has its own phoshpolipids which must be present for omega 3's to be absorbed! Incidently people with MS can also be deficient in iodine, magnesium and have malabsorption problems! hhhmmmm...
-Chlorella, I can't, off the top of my head remember what's in this stuff, but with my diet changes and getting the chemicals out of my life, my psoriasis goes almost completely away! When I run out, it slowly comes back. Chorella also gives a good energy boost, go to Mercola.com again to read more about the good stuff in it!
-Water! Good old water has helped me with alot of little problems, if you've been told or read that water is not that good for you, or, you don't need 8 glasses per day, or, you get all the water you need from other beverages, bulls**t! Your body needs clean clear fresh water for more processes than you can imagine. Many beverages have diuretic properties and actually cause the body to dump more water than it would get out of the beverage. You need clean clear fresh water to flush metabolic and other waste away from the body! The cells are like plump grapes when we are hydrated, when we are dehydrated our cells are like raisins! A hightech multi-tasking cell can't do its jobs when it is dragging itself through the desert parched and dry and ready to die! Pain, headaches, weird little aches and pains, stabbing pains that come and go, are all signals from the body that there is an emegency state, not enough water! (Angina is heart pain that can be relieved by drinking enough water)The Water Cure is a book by Doctor Batmangeligjdj, it's very worth reading! Got high blood pressure? My Mom went off her (under the watchful eye of her Doctor) blood pressure meds and did what Dr. Batman suggested in that book, she no longer needs to take it, she monitors her pressure 3 times a day (she's 70) and does her averaging and she is within a healthy range. The medication made her sick, a drug is not helpful if it is dealing with a symptom but creating another set that is making a person feel lousy, it was just a trade! Why not find out what's causing the problem and treat it!
   All the above plus quitting using all the chemical crap I was putting ON my body (beauty, bath and cleaning, smoking too), plus eating food that I grow and practically nothing from the store,
I shrunk:
-uterine fibroids, (which ended my horrible heavy bleeding)
-ovarian cysts,
-got rid of headaches (I still get one every now and then but it's usually from wearing a hat).
-feel happy and contented with no more 'yo-yo' depression, not so quick to anger.
-memory is improved
-I look younger, my skin is better, my liver spots faded drastically (some call them age spots) but they are more correctly called liver spots as those brownish pigments of the skin that come out on the forehead, top lip, backs of hands etc are caused by a liver that is over worked and is sharing the toxic load with the skin, so when I got the chemicals out and fed my body better food, the liver got a break and could quit calling on the skin to help it with its job!
-my psoriasis got much better (another case of liver toxic over load being shared with the skin, it can also share the load with other organs that may be damaged by the toxins that they are not meant to carry) I had psoraisis (psoriasis) all my life, I have messed up my hormonal balance with steroid creams, poisoned my body with coaltar creams, there are some scary treatments I did not want to try to, methyltrexate or something.
-Restless leg syndrome, just a memory!
   Good food, water, a few supplements a person may be deficient in, a break from stress if possible, sleep, no pharmaceutical drugs if possible, a modrate amount of exercise 3 times a week, and watch the ailments disappear!! Seriously! It's mostly free and you've got nothing to lose!

I hope this info that is helpful to someone! April
I have been experiencing a sharp pain behind my right ear. It does not feel like it is related to the inner ear, ie. an earache. It feels like a knife is stabbing me behind my ear. I can relieve it momentarily by pressing on the ear or on the neck muscle, but the pain returns. I first thought it was caused by sleeping on my ear and displacing the cartilege. When it first began, it only lasted for a moment. Then it would last for hours. . This time it was caused by sticking my finger in my ear with a tissue to dry it after showering. Currently I have felt the pain off and on for four days straight.
I HAVE FOUND THE MOST EFFECTIVE PAIN RELIEF IS to get down on the floor on my knees and place the top (or close to) of my head on the floor for 1-3 min.s and let gravity relieve the pressure. I just did it and I am pain now free! This works most of the time for me. I hope this helps some of you.
Well I stumbled upon this page while trying to Google some info about head pains and migrains. I have a very similar pain like the one you describe. It's a migraine like pain behind my left ear starting towards the bottom of the left side of my neck and running to the too of my head. It doesn't stretch all the way over my head , it stops just above where my ear stops. I think I should add though that I seem to only get this pain for a couple weeks after I've taken ecstasy. I've taken quite a bit in the last five years but only started getting the pain about a year ago. At first I thought it was just a nasty side effect and I just needed to take a break so I did. About a four month break from ecstasy. Then after my break I indulged in the drug once.again and for about a week I had very severe head pain in the area I earlier described. I've had this post ecstasy pain happen to me about five times after taking ecstasy. But my most recent episode of pain was accompanied with fever like symptoms such as a caugh, nausea, dizziness, chills sometimes followed by hot flashes with bad sweating. I also had symptoms such as anxiety, mood swings, irritability, depression, uncontrolled bursts of anger and unintended crying. The pain behind my ear has finally stopped after about a week.....the pain never came and went though. It was always with me just sometimes worse then others. It was either a very mild pain that hurt when I moved my head/neck or a pain that was brought upon my by heavy movement or excitement. This more serious pain was very heavy and throbbed throughout The back of my neck. Hurt so much sometimes that I would just sit there holding onto my head until it slowly stopped throbbing and eventualy went back to a minor pain that I could bare. Like I said tho, a weeks gone by and the pain is gone but I still have all the fever symptoms and the other symptoms I talked about...like irritability and uncontrollable emotions. Please tell me what this pain couldve been....also if possible, address the other symptoms I described.
Hello my name is Angie and i am 18 years old,
and I too got a pain similar, it was really sharp behind my right ear and it went down to behind my neck. It was really random when i got it too, i was as sleep and out of no where i woke up to this sharp pain. The pain i would describe as a big cramp like the ones you get on your calf of your leg but behind my head. I don't know what could have caused this, I'm quite healthy and don't really do anything, i was a swimmer in my schools swim team in high school so i don't know. I'm currently in college. Well I hope you find answers to this, as have I been searching for answers to what this pain is.
- Klassy15
I have experienced the same pain over the past several years.  At times, it is debilitating.  It can constantly jab me every minute until I feel nauseated and unable to function.  It can last up to a week, and can make me cry out in pain.  It lessens as the week goes on.  Muscle relaxers seem to knock it out.  Tylenol does seem to tone it down occasionally.  It can get so bad that I feel nauseatedm and unable to function.  I usually have this about once a month or every two months.  Usually it come on in the middle of the night and wakes me from sleep.  After an MRI, I was told it is simply a form of migraine, a stabbing headache or icepick headache.  After much research, I have learned it is called trigeminal neuralgia.  Many people have it much worse, and there are a lot of different treatments for it.  I often find, if I am under stress, and clench my teeth at night, it brings it on.  A nerve in my face is being compressed.  My Dr. wants me to take amitriptyline for this nerve pain.  good luck to all; look up trigeminal nerve and perhaps you will find some answers.
I just started having this pain behind the left ear too. WHAT IS UP WITH THIS? SO MANY PEOPLE WITH THE SAME ANNOYING SYMPTOMS? Ouch! Guess we just have to strive to be more healthy, make more healthy choices, find something that gets you through it. I've started having random areas of muscle twitching too--my right eye, right arm above elbow, between thumb and finger... weird. It's gotta be a nerve problem, seems to me. I'm on hbp & cholesterol meds & take vitamins, Omega 3's, Niacin, & Calcium. Could it be a side effect of any of those? ANYBODY ELSE HAVE THIS, OR KNOW WHAT RELEAVES IT?
Oh, this Dr. has a good description of the facial nerve that may be causing this pain : http://faciomaxillary.tripod.com/palsy.html . He's goes on to speak about Bell's Palsy, but it may be of help to some.
google Occipital Neuralgia i think it might be it
I am having the same problem with pain on the right side of my head, right beneath my ear. The pain comes and goes like contractions and the duration is about 30 seconds at a time. It doesn't matter what position I am in. I am really scared and I was wondering if anyone got a diagnosis from the doctor before I go.
I posted a comment a couple of years back.  I still do not have any relief and it has gotten worse.  I have it all the time now.  I had to have surgery 4 months ago (just a simple gallbladder) and woke up not being able to use my left arm.  I have extreme pain in this arm all the time.  It basically feels like I hit my funny bone all day long.  I thought this was because of the IV.  I recently had an MRI and have 3 herniated discs from C-4 to C-7.  Obviously the condition is progressing.  My head pain is behind my right ear, but now I have nerve damage in my left arm.  Who knew????  This is all I know so far.  I have been referred to a physical medicine doctor.  

Do not be like me.  Get this checked out asap.  I had a bad fall in March 2003 but did not seek medical attention.  I threw up and was sick for about a week.  I had a very stiff neck as well.  I was in college, about to graduate and felt I did not have time.  Then I started having this head pain behind the right ear in October of that year and have had it since.  I never thought anything about this fall.  I guess I'm pretty lucky.  I'm not saying that this has come from that fall, just a thought I've been having as to how I got these herniated discs.
I also have the same pains right now as we speak actually lol. I've never had an ear infection before so it can't be that I was in a car accident where my car flipped about 7 times maybe I hit my head not sure but I didn't have a concussion so the doctors left it alone. Do u think that could be the cause of this? Like mine will start if I yawn or start talking it will trigger a shock of pain to that spot, or if I go from an outside temperature to a room temp it will start. Mine will last the whole day sometimes of random shock waves to the head. And it feels like the right side under my ear is very tendor? And feels like it hurts a little almost like your muscles hurting after u work out. Please help email me at ***@****
I FIGURED OUT WHAT CAUSES MINE! Mine occur at some point of when I take my reading glasses off. They have metal tips (on the ends of them.) as well as throught the stem. I dont wear them ever day. And it is ONLY happeneing the day of And sometimes after I wear them. Its something in the metal!! Im soo sure of it..
hiya ... im also experiencing awful pain at the back of my ear and head ...im 21 yrz old and it's really troubling me ... can anybody plz help ??
I TOO HAVE PAIN IN THE BACK OF MY HEAD EXTENDING TO BEHIND MY RIGHT EAR,SOMETIMES IN MY EAR. I NOTICED IF I TAK TWO TYLENOL BEFORE BED I DONT GET IT,IF I DONT TAKE THE TYLENOL I WAKE UP WITH A SEVERE HEADACHE. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
I HAVE A QUESTION TOO im 12 and i hypocondreact(or however you spell it) and its fadeing away now byt im afraid it will come back when i move my ears (like a majic elf) beind my ear on my head it starts to hurt im scared i have some major diese!!! HELP ME!!if anyone knows what might be rong contact me at ***@**** :)
I am 28 years old, mother of six.
I've had these pains as far back as I can remember. Super sharp stabbing pain behind my right ear (once in awhile it's behind my left ear, but it's usually on the right side). I've always been very suceptible to ear aches/infections and wondered if that had anything to do with it tho the doc i saw one time said there was no ear infection when I was experiencing the pain and had no clue what I was describing. Looked at me like i was crazy. ugh.
No tooth problems so that can't be it...
For me they are so random. After months of no issues they started about 3 hours ago- they have tapered down again and will probably go away again after awhile. I've never been able to link anything I'm doing or eating with it.They just start stabbing out of nowhere for no apparent reason, reminding me of a charlie horse pattern of pain, (but the pain is like an ice pick stab I guess), feeling bruised and tender afterward.
I was kind of scaring my kids at night night time cos I was being pummeled by attack after attack and was yelping and cringing on the floor! I tell ya I was about ready to put a bullet right through that spot to try and stop it *sigh*. This was the worst attack i've had in at least a year, and wasn't doing anything different than just taking care of kiddos and light house work. There must be SOMETHING to this... ouch! not again... =0(
Have any of you thought about getting an MRI? It only takes 10-20 minutes and it will disclose any upper spinal/brain tumor problems that could be causing these pains.  I had a brain tumor and went through headaches that you can't even imagine. Also pains in the back of the head can be signs of a chiari. Which I also had. There are few doctors/radiologist that look for this even though it is very common. Unfortunately, though the only relief if you have a chiari is brain surgery. I've had 3. Cured the problem, but it was along and stressful ordeal.
No matter what anyone says....there is a reason for the headaches and you should find out what it is. Even if you choose not to do anything at least you know what you are up against.
Do you wear glassesd? It is related to the glasses. I don't know if it is the metal or just the pressure. Do you ride motorcycles? Wear tightly compressing earphohes or headsets. When you can't hear well on cellphones do you press them tightly against your ear?--There are nerves that are super sensitive behind your ear flap. Closely related to the temporal nerve. Ensure while you are trouble shooting this issue that in your daily routine you have no pressure on this area. No tight hats, etc. For one week try to sleep on your stomach, or back and see if the conditions change. I will be checking back for updates. If you are a candidate for lasik, please look into that as an alternative to glasses.---concerned.
I do not wear glasses, I have no issues with my eyes.  I also do not wear a helmet nor drive a motorcycle/bicycle.  I did, however, play rugby for about 4 years in college and have experienced multiple concussions.  This piercing ice pick headache is a new thing.  I am used to the aura migraines which I have been experiencing since 2007, with the colorful triangles of lights flashing until I can see again then the pain.. but this stabbing pain just comes for around 3-7 seconds, I have to close my eyes--and then it's gone again.  It's been happening on and off for the past two weeks and more recently it hits me every 5-10 minutes this morning.  

I do drink considerably and marijuana does help the normal migraines at times, but it's not a fix for this pain.  I just took an indomethacin, which I have been taking for the aura migraines to no avail but now my jaw's numb.  Has anybody ever had acupuncture to help relieve this?  I used to see a masseuse/chiropractor once a week when I was playing rugby prior to the actual migraines, but that became pricy.

One thing that sprung up recently though is seasonal allergies.  I don't know if this has to do with the recent early onset, sinus pressure, etc. but this specific pain is in the back of my head, near the Mastoid Process--so I don't see a relation.

I do have an appointment scheduled with my neurologist, but unfortunately, waiting for an appointment takes months, not days.. and if there is an alleviation that I can have prior, I'd be happy... short of a hospital visit.  They just shoot me full of morphine or tramidol and that really screws with the rest of my body and it's just not fun and really bright :(
New information:--I too suffer with this. I know this sounds weird but here goes. The people suggesting things about salavary glands are spot on. Tonight as I was winding down from my day at work (with pain behind my right ear, and a little swelling). I didn't feel like going outside to have a smoke and remembered I still had some nicorrete gum for emergencies. If you already smoke, you may need the 4 mg ones. I only smoke less than 1/2 pack a day, so I bought the 2mg ones. Anyway, after popping the gum in my mouth, within 5 mins, I realized the pain was gone. Now this was purely a coincidence because I rarely chew the gum. As it turns out the swelling and soreness to the touch was gone, and is still gone. I immediately went to the internet and discovered that pure nicotine was used for years as a muscle relaxer. I believe the glands were pinched and irritated at some point, but the best thing is I can touch behind my ear and the swelling and pain are gone. Please someone try this and post back. I bought the little nicorrete squares (20 pack) for 10.00$ three weeks ago, and I still have probably about 15 remaining. I hope this helps someone out there.
It's so interesting.  I have had this occasional piercing pain behind my left ear for about twenty years.  I hardly ever mention it because it comes and goes so quickly.  At first, I got it like once a month, then about twice a month but, like most ailments, it has now progressed to several times a day.  The pain is so excruciating that I have to drop whatever I am doing and pay attention.  It lasts less than a minute.

What I found interesting is that so many people seem to have this same malady while I thought it was only me.  In fact, I never mentioned it to any doctor because I thought he might never have heard of it.

I am 69 years of age and have suffered with reduced hearing in my left ear since boyhood.  I had my tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) removed before I went to school because they were always getting infected.  My mom also said I had trouble with my ears because I used to cry a lot when she left me on my back and the tears would ran into my ears and infect them.

Apart from this, I have been very lucky to date;  never a serious illness in my life.  No medicines, preservatives or vitamins.  Just food.  As you might gather, I am not particularly fond of doctors and almost never go prying for anythng.  

I was hoping that, with luck, I should be out of here before something really heavy comes down the pike.  But this pain is annoying so I might have to seek help after all.

This website has been a real eye-opener.  We are so lucky to have the Internet in our life time.
im a 17 year old,facing pretty much watever you guys just said
a pinching pain behind my left ear.i really think,72justconcerned72,your explanation is the cure for me.You see i swim everyday.and lately my goggles have been somewhat TOO tight for me,and to top that off i wear glasses like 5 to 6 hours a day.that seems like a good explanation for this.i too listen to a lot of music.hence the headphones make sense aswell!
i just hope this aint a big deal!
just one question can this somehow be related to the spinal cord?as i have had a really bad slip disk.twice since this year began and its finally getting better now.could that be an explanation?
thank u!
x.
I am experiencing the same pain. It is a sharp, almost "stabbing" pain behind my left ear- and it shoots up to my left temple. I have a bad neck and back, and I am thinking it's all related (nerves). I am using ice to help relieve some of the pain, as well as smoking weed. (which helps tremendously) I am also about to undergo a breast reduction surgery, and I hope this will help my posture/neck/back, and permanently get rid of the stabbing/sharp pain in my head. I wonder if it could be optic related as well... as I am a blogger and look at my computer for hours at times.
P.S.
I also was curious.. does anyone else have their Tragus' pierced? Mine is, and I was curious if maybe I hit some nerve (since the pain is so close to my ear)
I had all of the same issues , and was also diagnosed with gerd. I suffered for over 4 years...in and out of hr hospital at 24 years old.  However I was not happy with the diagnosis and did not want to remain on meds so I sought the help of a chiropractor and have been symptom free for 2 years.  I used to think they were full of *@it but, I am convinced he has kept Me healthy and from sinking into depression from the pain.

Seek a reputable chiropractor who believes and treats whole life well being.

my name is jessie, and im also 16
i work alot with computers as weel, as i am in a office applications class and i have the same symptons. the sharp pain behind or above my ear on my head. and like to describe them is difficult. its only lasts a fewseconds but they are painfui
2 years ago i was in a bad accident and fell head first onto a driveway
i went into a seizure and had alot of injuries i suspected that, that was the cause . i have talked to my mom about it but she htinks that i am just imagining in
but does anyone think it could be serious?
I, too, am having periodic sharp pains directly behind my right ear, at the base of the skull (where the skull bulges out).  The duration is about 5-10 secs, then it goes away.  Afterwards, during some point in time (not sure when), but I temporarily lose my balance slightly.  I'm not sure if these are associated with one another, but it's freaking me out.
I kept having the same problem for ten years. At first, the pain was just bothersome and only happened once in a while but it progressed over the years with the pain getting worse and recurring more frequently. I finally went to see a neurologist and was diagnosed with trigeminal neurolgia. I was placed on topamax 25 mg twice a day and it has helped a lot. I still have pain once in a while but it does not compare to how frequently I was having them before. I hope this helps!
This sharp pain that I have recently been getting is behind my left ear as well.  It only lasts a few seconds but it just comes on like I am being stabbed.  I also have a knot the size of a marble on the left side of my neck as well as had had a bad rash behind the back of my neck the originally started from a reaction to hair color.  Since then the rash flares up and I wake up at night itching the hell out of it, thus making it infected.  I have used so many OTC and prescribed ointments and I cant get rid of it.  My WBC has been elevated for several months as well.  But this new sharp pain behind my left ear almost where the cellebellum is starting to scare me.  The first time in my life I dont have health insurance or I would have already gone to doc.  Just not sure what to do.  This pain even though its sharp makes me want to stop everything I am doing for a few seconds.  
I have the same problem right behind my left ear I start having it about 4 months ago I'm 24 years old I get it at least twice a week I really Dont like taking Pills So i Usually sleep and it goes away but when I have to do stuff I take 1 Advil and that takes care of it I'm definatly will try to see a Dr. I dont have insurance since I'm not working but Is important I hate getting the Pain it bothers me and Im always thinking about when is going to Hit if anybody has seen a DR and have a answer to what the pain is cause by it will be great to hear it
Thank You
God Bless
Any one suffering from high blood pressure?
I have the same symptons and always took my pressure and oddly is always high

I had a trauma in that area when I was a kid and always had pain with  bad wheter (like when you suffer of arthritis)
i have the same problem as you. it started from my left ear up to the back of my head(left part of the back head)
it only occurs for a few second and until one day when i had sex with my boyfriend, it became so painful. i insist on continuing the sex though, since we're in the middle of it. then the pain become so painful until i cant do anything else except holding my left head and twitching in pain.
and because of that sex, the pain last for a day and a night.

i went to see my doctor and he said that the vein behind my left ear is widen and i should be careful not to get angry, stress, or have sex for a while.

its 2 years ago.

i still have it from time to time though.

right now i have the problem again while writing this. this time the pain is behind my right ear, and its been a few days almost 5 days! it been the longest one i have been through.and it appears when i had sex with my boyfriend 5 days ago, and the pain last until today. :(

hpe it will go away fast
My issues just started about a month ago.  Constant pain just above and behind the right ear.  I've also noticed that I've had constant nausea since the onset and seem to be a little off balance as well.  The pain worsens when I apply pressure to the side or back of the head.  I've yet to make a doc's appt because I've had sinus/ear issues since I was a child (now 35) and didn't want to jump the gun.  But this is different than anything I've had before.  Vision seems to be OK.  Have only had a handful of migraines in my life - again, this seems to be different than those as well.  Hoping to get doc's appt soon and find out whats going on.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. These headaches could be due to stress, anxiety, migraines or tension headaches, sinus headaches radiating to the ear, headache usually front of head, on one or both  the sides of temples along with nausea, vomiting, irritability, low blood pressure, sensitivity to lights, sound, etc. aura associated with migraines could include blind spots, blindness in half of your visual field, paresthesia, weakness or visual hallucinations. Your vision needs detailed testing by an ophthalmologist. Hypertension and hypotension need to be checked. An MRI brain is warranted to rule out any intracranial lesion particularly aneurysm and MRI spine for ruling out cervical spondylosis and degenerative disc disease.  Temporal tendinitis mimics migraines including TMJ pain temporal headaches, tooth sensitivity, neck and shoulder pain. Treatment includes injecting local anesthetics and other medicines, moist heat muscle relaxants and NSAIDs along with physiotherapy. Multiple sclerosis would also need to be excluded. Treatment for migraines include drugs that prevent the attack like anti convulsants and drugs which treat an attack like triptans, ergots etc your queries should pertain to all these possible differential diagnoses. Trigeminal neuralgia needs to be considered. If the neurologist and radiologist are suspecting a cerebral aneurysm, they can confirm with cerebral angiography and clipping of the aneurysm could be done. Hope this helps. Take care.
me problem in ear they pain to me very much
I am 46 and my pain is at the base of my skull, on the right side and started a couple of years ago. I only got it when I got a migraine, about one a month. Now it is worse and I have a dull pain there pretty much all the time. It flares up to very painful many, many times a day and becomes unbearable for about a day, probably about once every two months. They only thing that helps is Imitrex, but without insurance I cannot afford those pills, (about $30.00 per pill).

Also, without insurance I cannot have this diagnosed since I would think I would be referred to several departments, specialists and tests. I was hoping someone here had gotten diagnosed  and treated and could share their story.

I am tired of 'sucking up' as one lady here had opined that we do. I can deal with it, but I am not keen on keeling over from an aneurism (aneurysm) or tumor. I have a family and would like to not die just yet. I also do not want to bankrupt my family with medical bills. We have a small business and cannot afford health insurance for us, just for our child.
I have just started to experience this last night; I was in a coma in 03' and take 400 mg of generic Dilantin a night.; I am a recovering alcoholic 5-1/2 sober but I smoke marijuana.

I turned into a workaholic and work roughly 65-70 hours a week with a stressful job.

I am going to schedul an appointment with my nuerologist BUT I would like to know how to get rid of the pain if I can not avoid it.
I have these exact pains too, and they are also behind my right ear. I've had it for as long as I can remember. They dont ever last very long. Just a few seconds. It happens if I do something suddenly, like turning my head too quickly or even talking. The pain may not last long but it always leaves me feeling dizzy and I sometimes have to lie down.
I also have severe pain behind my right ear. Sometimes the pain is behind my left ear at the same time. I went to an ear doctor and he told me I have neuropathy and prescribed neurotin. It really gave me a lot of relief but now my insurance won't cover it and it is too expensive for me to pay for myself. He also told me to take Lipo-flavonoid an over the counter drug. That is about $25 for 100 tablets taken 3 times a day. It will give me some relief but not enough. It's sad when we need help with doctors and prescriptions and can't afford them. I am 66 years old. I thought this was an old age thing and was sorry to find  that is occurs in young people too. Good luck to everyone who suffers with this awful pain and I hope you can find relief somewhere, somehow.
I am a fit 37 yr old man, who never been in an accident or had a blow to the head. I am currently having the "headache behind the right ear" issue. It comes and goes through the day and night, usally lasting a few minutes at a time. It even hurts to apply a slight pressure to my ear, actually it hurts a bunch more. I have been having it alot lately, more than usual. Sometimes pills work and sometimes they don't.
I had these pains for about 5 years now and I think it's all due to the long hours at the computer.MRI which I done after terrible pain attack was fine. The pain is sitting there every day and annoying. The only time I forget about it is when I play tennis. So, doing exercise and a bit of massage in the neck area are the most affective. Nurofen could do a trick as well If there is inflammation of the nerve. neck exercise help as well as the pain in the head goes, though pain in the neck is still there. Pain in the neck is not so intense as above the ear, so I'm happy if I can suffer a bit less :)                    
Im 13 and im havig the same sort of problem but it shoots and then throbs slightly under one of my right teeth ( not the same tooth every time )
I have a really sharp pain in my neck just bellow my ear. It is very painful and sometimes wake me up at night. It has been on and off i had it a while ago but it has come back again, but a lot worse. I have read through some of the comments you have put and some of you are suffering/suffered with the same as me. I was just wondering if anyone knows what is causing it and what i can do to stop it because it is very painful.
Thankyouu
I too have been experiencing sharp pains in the sides of my head, behind my ears and in my temples, throughout the last six months or so, on and off. When they initially started, they were followed by an ear infection and sinusitis.
It took me about a month and a half to get iver both infectiins, after taking amoxocilin and some other antibiotics. Once they were gone, I was left with inner ear fluid that causes a lot of pressure on my ears, which sometimes can cause horrid pain, especially since I'm a telephone operator and I wear a headset all day at work. I've spoken to a doctor and I strongly believe that the inner fluid on my ears, mixed with an abundance of ear wax that my ears mass produce, put pressure on my ear drums and inner ear glands, and that is what produces this pain.
Its a good thing to have your ears checked for excess wax and cleaned if needed. Each time I have mine cleaned, the pain seems to cease for a few weeks, which are much appreciated.
You might want to see an ear, nose and throat doctor, just to ne safe. I am a college student, so I cavt always afford multiple trips to specialists, so I bought a wax removal syringe to clean my ears myself. I find that tramadol and vicodin do help to calm or relax the pain a little, but nothing short of sleeping makes yoh completely pain free.
For what its worth, I seriously hope that you all eventually can live pain free. Godbless!
Hello i just turned in 14 these past few days and i have the same problem too it just happened yesterday i remember that i got hit in the left back ear so i thought that might be the cause of these pain any one knows?
I have a bite plate but the problem has not gone away As I am over 40 I think wisdom teeth out of the question This pain has been off and on now for 3 days and is excrutiatingly painful If anyone has any further advice it would be most welcome
what you can do use a micro dose of vitamin C  10c this it for sharp  pain in the back of left ear,
You should always seek the advice of a medical doctor,especially if you can put yourself or others at risk,driving,falling,etc...
You should never 'suck it up' until you speak with a doctor and they can rule out tumors,cancers,migraines,and other serious illnesses and so on.
Daft no ones said anyhow for 2 years butbill place my imply into this convo
So I'm 16 and this pain happened yesterday I think the coutbi at about 20 times I've had his pain behind my right ear but it's nit really in the ear region. After the pain Which lasts only some number of seconds, I get dizzy my eye sight is **** without contacs but lately icant tell if my vision is blurry because of dry contacts or because of my head. I did have ear tubes as a chil but since then no ear infections. Sometimes it feels like the back of my head is  bein weighed down and then the top of my head is flying or sometimes swimming in water I need someones insight!
Oh sorry ignOre that part before my age
I'm having d same problem. This pinching burning pain dat last up to a min or a lit less in d bck of my head behind my right ear. I also hve a lump there as well that's been there for as long as I can remember. I saw a doctor about it and he said it was s cyst n I shouldn't worry. I suffer from anxiety n worry about everything so his words went through one ear n passed out through d other. As soon as I get some money I'm getting myself to a proper doc to check this out. Sometimes even on d right side of my head hurts feels like brain freeze. :( I'm so worried. Wish I knew wats was really happening to me
Hi everyone,Im 39 yr old female. I had an artery disection in my verbiral left artery about 2 1/2 yrs, it happened when I found out my mother had passed suddenly. High blood preesure from heart defect that I was born with was a factor. But since 2 weeks in intenive care and alot of rest I have been having severve pain behind my right ear for over a year. The pain goes on for hours and only goes away with lots of ibroprofen and sleep and laying very still. I sometimes have a crunching inside my ears and a clogged under water feeling in them too. I have had cat scans and mri scans and they tell me theres nothing wrong. I hate going to er cause they act like its not real. My husband will rub the spot gentely but it becomes to painful to handle. Any suggests to whom to see and what to do. Sick of the constant pain and hate pain pills. My stomach is upset alot because of ibroprofen and im realy at a lose here.
Thanks ***@****
I have the exact same thing. I often feel like I am drunk! Without the alcohol of course. MRI,  CT and Bone Scan, no real answers. One ENT thought I had TMJ, but I have never had a problem opening my mouth. Dentist did not agree with ENT. I have had this for so long that I just want to scream. The Pain is and seems to stay  above the neck close to my left ear. My husband thinks I have blockage. After $12,000 in test's with a annual $5,000 deductable plus $400 monthly Premium I am just frustrated and don't care to see another doctor.. I am supposed to take Iboproven and hot pads, duh! Bad for my stomach also. What is this, mine starts every morning until I go to bed. I have been able to sleep.
Have you been to the dentist, perhaps it is your wisdom teeth!
Hi im michelle 24 years old and also feeling a strange bruise feeling right on top of my right ear. I have just started insanity work out and the first day i think i over done it and now i have this bruise that hurts when i jump or bend my head down and most of the time when i touch it. it dose not hurt if i pull my hair around the area. Also i have short hair that i do not tie up so it cant be from it up. i have not seen a doctor yet as it has been happening for only 2 weeks  now but am worried as i am continuing the exerciser... i need some help and answers!
I'm an 18 year old college student that's been experiencing this same thing for like 2 years. My ear nose and throat doctor checked my ear and said he couldnt see anything wrong. The pain has become unbearable and seems to be brought on by stress. I wear a mouth guard at night because I grind my teeth, but I had this pain before I got it. I'm literally desperate for answers because it impacts my life every day!
I am 30 and I am also having pain on the right mastoid process, i have had it for years off and on for a week or so.  For the past two months it is a constant throbbing and achy pain, with bursts of intense stabbing.  I can feel it inside my ear and down my SCM (muscles at the front/ side of the neck).  Massage therapy does help release it some, but this is a temporary fix, Ibprofin releases the pain completely for about 24 hours, but u really don't want to take that my whole life.
I just noticed last night I have a wisdom tooth coming in on my upper right jaw, perhaps that is causing the increase in the pain?  I'm at a loss, I will be checking with a dentist and doctor soon, I don't think I can take this pain much longer:-(
I'm 18 and I'm having a sharp pain behind my left ear and it is really bugging me.  At first I thought it was just a small headache so I would go and take a couple Ibuprofen, but it did nothing for me.  Now, as I'm sitting here typing this I've experienced 3 sharp pains.  I just want to know what it is and whatever I can do to fix it. I'm graduating school this year and I dont need this effecting my grades or anything.

Please feel free to give me suggestions. Thank You!
Hi, All.

I am suffering with all the symptoms describes on this website about 4+ years now.
- Numb head on the right side.
- Blur and fuzzy right eye sight.
- For the first couple months the pain behind my right eye was so painful my eyelid was droopy.
- I am a living zombie with NECK and SHOULDER pain.
- Pain around the mastoid process with spurting cycle.
I keep pushing my mastoid process up hoping for heal, but keep notice it affect my speech and chewing due to weak/tight tongue if chew or talk longer than a minute.  Chiropractor ended up hurt my neck on the opposite side which hamper my stretching till today.  Because of this and the speech issue, I am unemploy 2 years and counting now since I got laid off from the financial crisis. My saving is shrinking.  I have no health insurance.. (Can I beg for donation?)

******************************************************************************
How come nobody come back and post the answer?  I think I know some answer, but I will post that later after I am done with my move, and if I am sure of the answer.  For now, let me give you a suggestion below:

After your neurologist, ENT, and dentist, and doctor can not help you,
you ALL should find a good Chiropractor/therapist.  A good chiropractor is not the one that just uses a handheld jack hammer drill like on your shoulder and then wiggles your neck with his hand and gives one pop, takes your copay then send you home and says see you next time.  That was my Chriropractor!

A good one do:

1 Xray your neck
2. Have heat pad vibrating massage machine to put on you.  You get longer treatment.  Handheld like above, the doctor get lazy and don't give you good/long enough treatment.
3. Apply ointment like BenGay on your neck.
4. Stretch your neck by pulling your head upward.
5. Wiggle and manipulate your neck and head, then pop it.
6.  Give you diagram of a set of neck exercise to do at home.

7.  Repeat step 2 to 5 next session.

(8  Do the exercise, apply BenGay, Solonpas, or Thermacare and wear electrical heat pad.  I bought Softheat for shoulder pain pad.)

It is a long journey to recovery, but it is something.

I strongly reccommend Ulla48 and StarlightSunrise to see Chiropractor.
My mother found one in Brooklyn, NY in the Corner of Bay Parkway and 65th street for her shoulder pain.  I didn't listen to her because I want to go to the one close to my last job.  Now I learned my lesson.  I should pick my doctor by asking around for recommendation.

Good luck everyone.  Don't forget to share your experience for answer.
I think you have Splenius Capitis, and it is pulling down your occipital protuberance of the skull.  In turn this occipital protuberance of the skull (part of the dome bone which is on top of your mastoid process) is pinching other muscle below it in spasm rythem.  You can jam it back up and back in the socket with your thumb while lying down on the bed face up. Once it popped back in, this spasm pain will go away.  But, the healing,  you will need to fix the spenius which I don't know.  Please let me know how to completely get it heal since I don't have insurance.
I recently started to run every once in awhile and I too just started to get these stabbing pains behind my left ear. I never thought it would be the running that was causing it, I had theses pains about 5 months ago and I was running almost every day. Now that I think of it when I stopped running I too did not have the pains. I have a bad left shoulder and neck and the muscle in these areas is always very tight and sore. With exercise it does become worse. It is helpful to hear others discuss this because then things start to come together on what it is caused from.
I understand this is an old thread, but I have to share my answer.

I had suffered years of earaches, aches behind the ears, runny nose, culminating to digestive and stomach problems.

I began to suspect food allergies and first tried eliminating dairy.

After a good serving of some new soy ( non dairy ) ice cream left my ear, head and stomach in inflammation agony, I had found my answer. SOY!

Soy is in most every processed and manufactured food. Start reading labels, and start eating simpler, and avoid soy. Eating out makes this more difficult, and cooking for yourself makes this easier. And I believe that soy or its active ingredient persists in some meats like chicken from their feed. But after a few weeks of avoidance, if your symptoms and pain subside, you'll have your answer. Anything with soy flour, soy lecithin, soybean oil, soy protein, "vegetable" protein are ingredients to avoid. Soy is promoted to be some kind of wonder food, but for me is a headache.

This test is much easier than trying specialists. My blood allergy test came back inconclusive. But if I eat a sandwich with store bread and peanut butter and soybean oil..my ear throbs. What else do I need to know?

Curiously, soy sauce and tofu do not affect me.

Hope this helps. Wish someone told me. My earaches and stomach problems are gone. Occasionally I'll eat something with soy and my ear "soy alarm" will go off.

I believe someday we'll learn that our current use of soy is not healthy.

I have this weird kind of throbbing pain at the back of my head every time I lie down. It's rather uncomfortable and hard to sleep.
Does anyone know what it coul be?
It usually stars in the morning when I wake up and when I go to bed it gets worse :(
Help!
Does anyone know what it coul be?
Help!
I am experiencing the same. Sudden sharp pain behind right ear that stops me  in my tracks for a few soconds and repeats every few minutes. I do have back aches often and sleeping problems. I so believe its a pinched nerve. I don't have time to wait for Dr. visits with a family of 4 boys, But the annoyance of it is very frustrating. Praying for you.
i am a 26 year old female and i have been having these sharp stabbing pain on the right side of the head, on the back side, since i was at leas 5 years old. i always believed that it was normal. the pain would last anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds. when i was younger the pain would  come so fast that i would normally end up on the ground. as i got older i could stay upright but the longer ones i couldn't consitrate on anything. i finally went to a nuerologist you said it is a pinched nerve.. hopefully all those out there who have the same problem get a fix for it soon. it is a horrible thing to go through.
Hi im having the same thing... and i been have Headaches ever snice i been in a car accident with a couple of friends.. Now i just cant get rid of  them .....

Please help
God Bless you April, great Post!!
God Bless you April, great Post!!
This is the best explanation yet for this pain.  Putting physical pressure on oneself might actually be the cause.  
I am experiencing the same thing. I just had Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, I had my right clavicle rib ressectioned, and 2 scalene muscles removed. I am having these pains on the right and left, I beleive it could be a compression of A vein in the area, I have had the Surgery, I have suffered a Great Deal of Pain. I have had 3 Angiograms and have ballooned open my Right Juggler Vein, Right Subclavian Vein, and the left Juggler and left subclavian Vein, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, The only way you can find out if you have this is to have a Angiogram Perfomed, and the Dr will do his research, they go thru your right Femoral Vein and go all the way up to the Brachial Plexus area, and check to see if there is Compression of any veins and Arteries. You can contact me at 661-533-2583 I can tell you all about my experience. Also ***@****
I'm 23. I had small sharp pains behind my right ear. It was more an annoyance. I had this for the past 3 months.

Last week, this pain became almost stabbing and excruciating. It radiated to my temple and lower jaw to almost the neck.

I was admitted to the ER. I assumed it was a toothache because I do have an impacted wisdom tooth. The doctor asked me about the pain and left. Another doctor came in and looked at my tooth and left. Then the first doctor came in and diagnosed me with trigerminal neuralgia. They gave me tegretol and the pain disappeared. Like magic.

I'm off the meds now but I continue to have this small sharp pain. I got my wisdom tooth removed in the last week too just in case it was the cause because the pain is just too horrible.

I'll be seeing my regular doctor Monday. I'd like to get his opinion =) I hope my experience helped
I too have this, I'm 16 but it's more like a dull ache than sharp pain, it comes and goes and I recently found that my ear drum ( on that side ) was under pressure and took anti biotics in 3 weeks I'm going to the docs and I'll ask him then
about 4 months ago i was playing with my bf and accidently got hit with the handle of a bike behind my ear the pain after was bad and got a bump and lasted about a week. Till this day the bump came back once and now the second time, but this time it hasent gone away. I get Sharp pains that last about 3 seconds. My ear hurts and also the right bottom part of my jaw. Can someone plz let me know what could be wrong.?
So you are 16 and you recently quit drinking BEER? Why are you drinking beer in the first place? Wow and everyone is talking about their own problems not helping to answer yours.
I have been having them since around or before 7th grade not sure as they have been happening for so long. They vary from ear to ear and have on one occasion lasted over two hours. The pain came after biting a piece of candy. That was the only time it happened from eating something. Have been to two different neurologists years apart and neither could find anything. The second visit to the second neurologist I was sent to a muscle specialist and he did a needle test where he stuck a large probe into my muscle and dug deep into the tissue  he was not able to hear anything with that test. I now have The pains plus something new. I now have annoying twitching burning tingling sensations in my back and shoulder blade areas. It has lasted over 8 hours before. Anything can set it off and nothing can set it off and nothing can stop these sensations. They must go away on their own. Any info on any additional types of specialist or doctor to see would be appreciated. Tx
I've had this since I was a child.  Thought I would do some research but I haven't found anything concrete.  I've noticed that it usually happens surrounding a cold/flu, before or after.  I feel it is linked to my immune system and stress.
For relief I take advil/ibuprofen and it usually goes away, if it recurrs, a few hours later once the advil wears off, I take a couple more and that usually does the trick.
I haven't tried muscle therapy, and trigger points but I do believe this would be a great cure, as would reflexology.
When I actively did yoga for about 2 years, it never happened.
Do you still have this condition?
What kind of tests did the Doctor do to discover the pinched nerve.  And did you have surgery?  If not tell me your recovery story please.
Just wanted to say I had the same problem. I started by fasting and sure enough the pain was gone the second day. It turns out I have an intollerance to sugar (chocolate) etc. After being off sugar (completely) for a while, I went and ate sugar one day and guess what! Yeah, the headache came back!!!
I also 'fasted' off my laptop and all visual media (TV) etc... and then went back to it and nothing changed. So it was not the computer screen or anything to do with eyes. I bike up to 3 times a week so it's not that part of life either.
I'm not that much into sugar so its not so bad or hard for me to not eat anything with sugar in it. For that I am thankful.

I would suggest that you try and see if you have an intollerance to sugar or another food. Wine really gives me a bad headache too!
Forget the drugs and surgery! Try the ellimination process of foods (see my previous post!)
I definitly know that sugar/chocolate give me that nasty headache in the back of my head (between the ears and back neck area. It is nasty and hard to accept. It's worth not eating sugar till the last day of my life!
Thank God I was able to figure it out after all that time of thinking something horrible had happened to me.
And yes, like some, I had just been through a bad cold/flu and I thought that was the reason. But it turns out to be something as simple as a food intollerance. The only thing I don't understand is WHAT triggered it. I had never had a problem with sugar in my life. So maybe someday, someone will figure out the WHY and WHAT part of it. Until then, I'm just glad the headache is gone!
Hi-Just speaking from my own testimony. I awaited 50day's. In pain & there's no need to do so. It all depends in you & your family choice. Since obviously. Make sure there's benefits. Because if you have insurance. There's no reason why you have to wait to find out what you have. And stop suffering from pain. So, if you want to just find out right away what exactly it's going on. Just go to the ER. Just make sure you get ready. Since it's long hours. Just take everything you need with you. To make yourself feel comfortable. Entertainment while you wait & snacks. If you don't have Insurance. Look up online if at the ER to the hospital where you are going to they have a Neurologist. Not all hospitals have the Best Neurologist. Edison, NJ. JFK Neuro Science it's a good one. There's Volunteer Neurologist. You just have to ask-look up online. Than since you are under age. You have to know. That all those bills will go to your parents. But there's always help. You can apply for Charity Care. But it's basically your parents applying for it. And their income will be proof how can this bills get pay. I diagnosed myself Nov. 19, 2012. Prior to that I went to a Medical Center 3times to see a Dr. & they said I pulled a muscle. Than I need vitamin D. I told them they have to give a referral to see a Neurologist. Which finally they did. I waited too long. I did my research online way before I went to see a Dr. the 1st time. I knew right away between Oct. 4th-Nov 19,2012. All of my symptoms lead to MS. But for God there's no impossible. Just go and take care of your health. Our Life it's a Light down here in earth. John Chapter 1: Vers. 1-18 ;0) God Bless!
I had no idea a woman your age could still PMS (because that is the only logical excuse of why you would say such a B****Y thing).
I blacked out from the pain the other day on stage and was almost impaled by a prop.  Suck it up?  How about you shut up, thanks.
I looked up this problem ... mine started by my left temple and when I turned my head to check my neck, something moved and now the pain is behind my ear.  Most sites suggest it is a pinched nerve and I could see things in the comments here to back that up.  Essential oils help calm nerves and when I applied Serenity blend with Lavendar from temple to clavicle the pain eased.  One dr suggested a spinal block but that seemed extreme lol.  Oils have helped with my Gerd, ulcers, and sinus problems.  Since I started using DigestZen for my GERD and chronic sinus headaches they just disappeared.  Essential oils are very concentrated, effective and totally natural without any side effects and in many cases cheaper than dr visits and scripts.     http://www.mydoterra.com/angelinepackard/
I googled the term "ice pick headache" and it's what I have! It's a fleeting, throbbing pulse of pain behind my right ear that lasts for just a few seconds, but happens approximately every 5 minutes to half hour. I've had it fora day now and it's really starting to get on my nerves, ugh! I took some Ibuprofen and it didn't help at all.
I have a dull pain behind my ear where my glasses sit - seems worse when I wake up - sometimes notice it during the day - had it for a week or so - did you resolve your issue?

If so how?

Clive
You suck it up, I cannot believe after reading these posts that is all you got, a snide, stupid, and wise *** remark, I doubt very much that you have experienced this pain ever, I think you are some S&M, perverted, serial killer that enjoys inflicting pain on others. You probably hurt the people close to you and animals too. Anyone who makes that type of comment is clearly evil and I hope you live far, far away from me.....
It sounds to me like the ice pick headache. I get those when Im really stressed out. If it comes and goes but seems to linger for a while that`s probably what it is. Otherwise I`d go see a doctor and get it looked at.
hello my name is allen, and im 14 years old, im going to tell you my story about this pain. it started happening about 5-8 months ago, i came home one day and my brother was really annoying me and punched me once in the arm and i pulled my arm back to smack him and then the shock hit the back of the right side of my head and i feel to the ground, this made me tear up and i only cry on rare occasions the shock is only for about 1-3 secends but when the 3 seconds are over the numbness still radiates through my head for one min. i have not told my doctor about this. this has only happend 3 times the other time was when i was working out and was putting a lot of stress on my body. im really hope this pain does not happen again, because it hurts like a ****.  
I have been experiencing the same horrible pains behind my ear for many years. It feels as if someone is stabbing me and sometimes it stops me right in my tracks because it comes on so sudden. I am unaware of a cause, no doctor has been able to figure it out, they just tell me I have tension headaches. However I have been doing some research and have found the pain is similar to those in "icepick" headaches. Maybe try talking to your doctor about them? Also, please let me know if you find anything out!
I have been suffering pain  on the left side of my head,  left ear being affected, and this can usually last anywhere from a a few minutes to hours.  I have seen a neurologist and some have said chronic headaches,  tension headaches,  etc. Every medicine given has not worked.  I usually don't get explained to what a doctor is doing to being dismissed after 5 minutes of talking to me. I am at a loss of what I need to do to get the right help.  I am also a woman who was born with hydrocephalus.  I have had that checked.  Nothing is helping.  I can't handle the pain.  I am a mother also.  This affects my everyday life.
really?!   There's no such thing as cervical ribs!  Where did you learn that!
The pain can be different causes from each individual even with the same pain.  The best is to see both neurologist & otolaryngologist for further testing.  I had MRIs for brain, cervical & nerve conduction but couldn't find anything which caused that horrible sharp pain like you all.  My neurologist assumed that muscle spasm can block the communication of nervous system.  Since all medical doctors & scans proved nothing to help me so I looked for alternative treatment.  I can't function normal with the pain & professionals think that I'm alright.  Sometimes, I don't understand western medicine training at all.  I don't like the fact that when you're in much pain & they say that you're 100% fine or normal.  Lately, I have acupuncture for only 4 treatments & feel much better.  For nerve issue, eastern medicine is the best option.  I'm taking too much medication for 12 yrs so I don't want to inject steroid in my body.  I have degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia. sharp pain behind my left ear & headache.  For few treatments of acupuncture, it helps so much.  Yes, it's painful with those needles, but worth it to feel less all over body pain cuz I don't want toxic from all medications & some unknown supplement ingredients.  I'm still taking med but trying to reduce it slowly.  If acupuncture cures my pain, I'll stop the current daily med for sure.  I hope that my comment can be helpful for some of you.  Rest well all & good luck finding the cure.  
Thanks you Dr Sharma