Sharp Pain Back of Head Behind Ear
Hi, I'm 16 yrs. old and I've been having these pains for about two years. I would be anything from schoolwork, to internet browsing, to watching tv, to eating, to even just laying down in the dark and I would get these intense sharp pains on the back of my head behind my right ear. This pain only occurs in this location and it comes and goes. At first the pains were simply a nuesance as they would come and go and weren't that bad, but lately they're getting worse causing me to stop what I'm doing until they go away. Durations last anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes. I haven't seen a doctor about this specifically but I've tiptoed around it and they tell me not to worry. What could it be and what could trigger it?

P.S. I'm a student in New Technology High School so I work a lot with computers, also I have recently been diagnosed as having GERD or an ulcer (in the upper stomach/lower esophagous area) but the pains came first, I'm average weight and height and I don't exercise regularly but make a point to exercise at least twice a week.
Hi im michelle 24 years old and also feeling a strange bruise feeling right on top of my right ear. I have just started insanity work out and the first day i think i over done it and now i have this bruise that hurts when i jump or bend my head down and most of the time when i touch it. it dose not hurt if i pull my hair around the area. Also i have short hair that i do not tie up so it cant be from it up. i have not seen a doctor yet as it has been happening for only 2 weeks  now but am worried as i am continuing the exerciser... i need some help and answers!
I'm an 18 year old college student that's been experiencing this same thing for like 2 years. My ear nose and throat doctor checked my ear and said he couldnt see anything wrong. The pain has become unbearable and seems to be brought on by stress. I wear a mouth guard at night because I grind my teeth, but I had this pain before I got it. I'm literally desperate for answers because it impacts my life every day!
I am 30 and I am also having pain on the right mastoid process, i have had it for years off and on for a week or so.  For the past two months it is a constant throbbing and achy pain, with bursts of intense stabbing.  I can feel it inside my ear and down my SCM (muscles at the front/ side of the neck).  Massage therapy does help release it some, but this is a temporary fix, Ibprofin releases the pain completely for about 24 hours, but u really don't want to take that my whole life.
I just noticed last night I have a wisdom tooth coming in on my upper right jaw, perhaps that is causing the increase in the pain?  I'm at a loss, I will be checking with a dentist and doctor soon, I don't think I can take this pain much longer:-(
I'm 18 and I'm having a sharp pain behind my left ear and it is really bugging me.  At first I thought it was just a small headache so I would go and take a couple Ibuprofen, but it did nothing for me.  Now, as I'm sitting here typing this I've experienced 3 sharp pains.  I just want to know what it is and whatever I can do to fix it. I'm graduating school this year and I dont need this effecting my grades or anything.

Please feel free to give me suggestions. Thank You!
Hi, All.

I am suffering with all the symptoms describes on this website about 4+ years now.
- Numb head on the right side.
- Blur and fuzzy right eye sight.
- For the first couple months the pain behind my right eye was so painful my eyelid was droopy.
- I am a living zombie with NECK and SHOULDER pain.
- Pain around the mastoid process with spurting cycle.
I keep pushing my mastoid process up hoping for heal, but keep notice it affect my speech and chewing due to weak/tight tongue if chew or talk longer than a minute.  Chiropractor ended up hurt my neck on the opposite side which hamper my stretching till today.  Because of this and the speech issue, I am unemploy 2 years and counting now since I got laid off from the financial crisis. My saving is shrinking.  I have no health insurance.. (Can I beg for donation?)

******************************************************************************
How come nobody come back and post the answer?  I think I know some answer, but I will post that later after I am done with my move, and if I am sure of the answer.  For now, let me give you a suggestion below:

After your neurologist, ENT, and dentist, and doctor can not help you,
you ALL should find a good Chiropractor/therapist.  A good chiropractor is not the one that just uses a handheld jack hammer drill like on your shoulder and then wiggles your neck with his hand and gives one pop, takes your copay then send you home and says see you next time.  That was my Chriropractor!

A good one do:

1 Xray your neck
2. Have heat pad vibrating massage machine to put on you.  You get longer treatment.  Handheld like above, the doctor get lazy and don't give you good/long enough treatment.
3. Apply ointment like BenGay on your neck.
4. Stretch your neck by pulling your head upward.
5. Wiggle and manipulate your neck and head, then pop it.
6.  Give you diagram of a set of neck exercise to do at home.

7.  Repeat step 2 to 5 next session.

(8  Do the exercise, apply BenGay, Solonpas, or Thermacare and wear electrical heat pad.  I bought Softheat for shoulder pain pad.)

It is a long journey to recovery, but it is something.

I strongly reccommend Ulla48 and StarlightSunrise to see Chiropractor.
My mother found one in Brooklyn, NY in the Corner of Bay Parkway and 65th street for her shoulder pain.  I didn't listen to her because I want to go to the one close to my last job.  Now I learned my lesson.  I should pick my doctor by asking around for recommendation.

Good luck everyone.  Don't forget to share your experience for answer.
I think you have Splenius Capitis, and it is pulling down your occipital protuberance of the skull.  In turn this occipital protuberance of the skull (part of the dome bone which is on top of your mastoid process) is pinching other muscle below it in spasm rythem.  You can jam it back up and back in the socket with your thumb while lying down on the bed face up. Once it popped back in, this spasm pain will go away.  But, the healing,  you will need to fix the spenius which I don't know.  Please let me know how to completely get it heal since I don't have insurance.
I recently started to run every once in awhile and I too just started to get these stabbing pains behind my left ear. I never thought it would be the running that was causing it, I had theses pains about 5 months ago and I was running almost every day. Now that I think of it when I stopped running I too did not have the pains. I have a bad left shoulder and neck and the muscle in these areas is always very tight and sore. With exercise it does become worse. It is helpful to hear others discuss this because then things start to come together on what it is caused from.
I understand this is an old thread, but I have to share my answer.

I had suffered years of earaches, aches behind the ears, runny nose, culminating to digestive and stomach problems.

I began to suspect food allergies and first tried eliminating dairy.

After a good serving of some new soy ( non dairy ) ice cream left my ear, head and stomach in inflammation agony, I had found my answer. SOY!

Soy is in most every processed and manufactured food. Start reading labels, and start eating simpler, and avoid soy. Eating out makes this more difficult, and cooking for yourself makes this easier. And I believe that soy or its active ingredient persists in some meats like chicken from their feed. But after a few weeks of avoidance, if your symptoms and pain subside, you'll have your answer. Anything with soy flour, soy lecithin, soybean oil, soy protein, "vegetable" protein are ingredients to avoid. Soy is promoted to be some kind of wonder food, but for me is a headache.

This test is much easier than trying specialists. My blood allergy test came back inconclusive. But if I eat a sandwich with store bread and peanut butter and soybean oil..my ear throbs. What else do I need to know?

Curiously, soy sauce and tofu do not affect me.

Hope this helps. Wish someone told me. My earaches and stomach problems are gone. Occasionally I'll eat something with soy and my ear "soy alarm" will go off.

I believe someday we'll learn that our current use of soy is not healthy.

I have this weird kind of throbbing pain at the back of my head every time I lie down. It's rather uncomfortable and hard to sleep.
Does anyone know what it coul be?
It usually stars in the morning when I wake up and when I go to bed it gets worse :(
Help!
Does anyone know what it coul be?
Help!
I am experiencing the same. Sudden sharp pain behind right ear that stops me  in my tracks for a few soconds and repeats every few minutes. I do have back aches often and sleeping problems. I so believe its a pinched nerve. I don't have time to wait for Dr. visits with a family of 4 boys, But the annoyance of it is very frustrating. Praying for you.
i am a 26 year old female and i have been having these sharp stabbing pain on the right side of the head, on the back side, since i was at leas 5 years old. i always believed that it was normal. the pain would last anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds. when i was younger the pain would  come so fast that i would normally end up on the ground. as i got older i could stay upright but the longer ones i couldn't consitrate on anything. i finally went to a nuerologist you said it is a pinched nerve.. hopefully all those out there who have the same problem get a fix for it soon. it is a horrible thing to go through.
Hi im having the same thing... and i been have Headaches ever snice i been in a car accident with a couple of friends.. Now i just cant get rid of  them .....

Please help
God Bless you April, great Post!!
God Bless you April, great Post!!
This is the best explanation yet for this pain.  Putting physical pressure on oneself might actually be the cause.  
I am experiencing the same thing. I just had Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, I had my right clavicle rib ressectioned, and 2 scalene muscles removed. I am having these pains on the right and left, I beleive it could be a compression of A vein in the area, I have had the Surgery, I have suffered a Great Deal of Pain. I have had 3 Angiograms and have ballooned open my Right Juggler Vein, Right Subclavian Vein, and the left Juggler and left subclavian Vein, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, The only way you can find out if you have this is to have a Angiogram Perfomed, and the Dr will do his research, they go thru your right Femoral Vein and go all the way up to the Brachial Plexus area, and check to see if there is Compression of any veins and Arteries. You can contact me at 661-533-2583 I can tell you all about my experience. Also ***@****
I'm 23. I had small sharp pains behind my right ear. It was more an annoyance. I had this for the past 3 months.

Last week, this pain became almost stabbing and excruciating. It radiated to my temple and lower jaw to almost the neck.

I was admitted to the ER. I assumed it was a toothache because I do have an impacted wisdom tooth. The doctor asked me about the pain and left. Another doctor came in and looked at my tooth and left. Then the first doctor came in and diagnosed me with trigerminal neuralgia. They gave me tegretol and the pain disappeared. Like magic.

I'm off the meds now but I continue to have this small sharp pain. I got my wisdom tooth removed in the last week too just in case it was the cause because the pain is just too horrible.

I'll be seeing my regular doctor Monday. I'd like to get his opinion =) I hope my experience helped
I too have this, I'm 16 but it's more like a dull ache than sharp pain, it comes and goes and I recently found that my ear drum ( on that side ) was under pressure and took anti biotics in 3 weeks I'm going to the docs and I'll ask him then
about 4 months ago i was playing with my bf and accidently got hit with the handle of a bike behind my ear the pain after was bad and got a bump and lasted about a week. Till this day the bump came back once and now the second time, but this time it hasent gone away. I get Sharp pains that last about 3 seconds. My ear hurts and also the right bottom part of my jaw. Can someone plz let me know what could be wrong.?
So you are 16 and you recently quit drinking BEER? Why are you drinking beer in the first place? Wow and everyone is talking about their own problems not helping to answer yours.
I have been having them since around or before 7th grade not sure as they have been happening for so long. They vary from ear to ear and have on one occasion lasted over two hours. The pain came after biting a piece of candy. That was the only time it happened from eating something. Have been to two different neurologists years apart and neither could find anything. The second visit to the second neurologist I was sent to a muscle specialist and he did a needle test where he stuck a large probe into my muscle and dug deep into the tissue  he was not able to hear anything with that test. I now have The pains plus something new. I now have annoying twitching burning tingling sensations in my back and shoulder blade areas. It has lasted over 8 hours before. Anything can set it off and nothing can set it off and nothing can stop these sensations. They must go away on their own. Any info on any additional types of specialist or doctor to see would be appreciated. Tx
I've had this since I was a child.  Thought I would do some research but I haven't found anything concrete.  I've noticed that it usually happens surrounding a cold/flu, before or after.  I feel it is linked to my immune system and stress.
For relief I take advil/ibuprofen and it usually goes away, if it recurrs, a few hours later once the advil wears off, I take a couple more and that usually does the trick.
I haven't tried muscle therapy, and trigger points but I do believe this would be a great cure, as would reflexology.
When I actively did yoga for about 2 years, it never happened.
Do you still have this condition?
What kind of tests did the Doctor do to discover the pinched nerve.  And did you have surgery?  If not tell me your recovery story please.
Just wanted to say I had the same problem. I started by fasting and sure enough the pain was gone the second day. It turns out I have an intollerance to sugar (chocolate) etc. After being off sugar (completely) for a while, I went and ate sugar one day and guess what! Yeah, the headache came back!!!
I also 'fasted' off my laptop and all visual media (TV) etc... and then went back to it and nothing changed. So it was not the computer screen or anything to do with eyes. I bike up to 3 times a week so it's not that part of life either.
I'm not that much into sugar so its not so bad or hard for me to not eat anything with sugar in it. For that I am thankful.

I would suggest that you try and see if you have an intollerance to sugar or another food. Wine really gives me a bad headache too!
Forget the drugs and surgery! Try the ellimination process of foods (see my previous post!)
I definitly know that sugar/chocolate give me that nasty headache in the back of my head (between the ears and back neck area. It is nasty and hard to accept. It's worth not eating sugar till the last day of my life!
Thank God I was able to figure it out after all that time of thinking something horrible had happened to me.
And yes, like some, I had just been through a bad cold/flu and I thought that was the reason. But it turns out to be something as simple as a food intollerance. The only thing I don't understand is WHAT triggered it. I had never had a problem with sugar in my life. So maybe someday, someone will figure out the WHY and WHAT part of it. Until then, I'm just glad the headache is gone!
Hi-Just speaking from my own testimony. I awaited 50day's. In pain & there's no need to do so. It all depends in you & your family choice. Since obviously. Make sure there's benefits. Because if you have insurance. There's no reason why you have to wait to find out what you have. And stop suffering from pain. So, if you want to just find out right away what exactly it's going on. Just go to the ER. Just make sure you get ready. Since it's long hours. Just take everything you need with you. To make yourself feel comfortable. Entertainment while you wait & snacks. If you don't have Insurance. Look up online if at the ER to the hospital where you are going to they have a Neurologist. Not all hospitals have the Best Neurologist. Edison, NJ. JFK Neuro Science it's a good one. There's Volunteer Neurologist. You just have to ask-look up online. Than since you are under age. You have to know. That all those bills will go to your parents. But there's always help. You can apply for Charity Care. But it's basically your parents applying for it. And their income will be proof how can this bills get pay. I diagnosed myself Nov. 19, 2012. Prior to that I went to a Medical Center 3times to see a Dr. & they said I pulled a muscle. Than I need vitamin D. I told them they have to give a referral to see a Neurologist. Which finally they did. I waited too long. I did my research online way before I went to see a Dr. the 1st time. I knew right away between Oct. 4th-Nov 19,2012. All of my symptoms lead to MS. But for God there's no impossible. Just go and take care of your health. Our Life it's a Light down here in earth. John Chapter 1: Vers. 1-18 ;0) God Bless!
I had no idea a woman your age could still PMS (because that is the only logical excuse of why you would say such a B****Y thing).
I blacked out from the pain the other day on stage and was almost impaled by a prop.  Suck it up?  How about you shut up, thanks.
I looked up this problem ... mine started by my left temple and when I turned my head to check my neck, something moved and now the pain is behind my ear.  Most sites suggest it is a pinched nerve and I could see things in the comments here to back that up.  Essential oils help calm nerves and when I applied Serenity blend with Lavendar from temple to clavicle the pain eased.  One dr suggested a spinal block but that seemed extreme lol.  Oils have helped with my Gerd, ulcers, and sinus problems.  Since I started using DigestZen for my GERD and chronic sinus headaches they just disappeared.  Essential oils are very concentrated, effective and totally natural without any side effects and in many cases cheaper than dr visits and scripts.     http://www.mydoterra.com/angelinepackard/
I googled the term "ice pick headache" and it's what I have! It's a fleeting, throbbing pulse of pain behind my right ear that lasts for just a few seconds, but happens approximately every 5 minutes to half hour. I've had it fora day now and it's really starting to get on my nerves, ugh! I took some Ibuprofen and it didn't help at all.
I have a dull pain behind my ear where my glasses sit - seems worse when I wake up - sometimes notice it during the day - had it for a week or so - did you resolve your issue?

If so how?

Clive
You suck it up, I cannot believe after reading these posts that is all you got, a snide, stupid, and wise *** remark, I doubt very much that you have experienced this pain ever, I think you are some S&M, perverted, serial killer that enjoys inflicting pain on others. You probably hurt the people close to you and animals too. Anyone who makes that type of comment is clearly evil and I hope you live far, far away from me.....
It sounds to me like the ice pick headache. I get those when Im really stressed out. If it comes and goes but seems to linger for a while that`s probably what it is. Otherwise I`d go see a doctor and get it looked at.
hello my name is allen, and im 14 years old, im going to tell you my story about this pain. it started happening about 5-8 months ago, i came home one day and my brother was really annoying me and punched me once in the arm and i pulled my arm back to smack him and then the shock hit the back of the right side of my head and i feel to the ground, this made me tear up and i only cry on rare occasions the shock is only for about 1-3 secends but when the 3 seconds are over the numbness still radiates through my head for one min. i have not told my doctor about this. this has only happend 3 times the other time was when i was working out and was putting a lot of stress on my body. im really hope this pain does not happen again, because it hurts like a ****.  
I have been experiencing the same horrible pains behind my ear for many years. It feels as if someone is stabbing me and sometimes it stops me right in my tracks because it comes on so sudden. I am unaware of a cause, no doctor has been able to figure it out, they just tell me I have tension headaches. However I have been doing some research and have found the pain is similar to those in "icepick" headaches. Maybe try talking to your doctor about them? Also, please let me know if you find anything out!
I have been suffering pain  on the left side of my head,  left ear being affected, and this can usually last anywhere from a a few minutes to hours.  I have seen a neurologist and some have said chronic headaches,  tension headaches,  etc. Every medicine given has not worked.  I usually don't get explained to what a doctor is doing to being dismissed after 5 minutes of talking to me. I am at a loss of what I need to do to get the right help.  I am also a woman who was born with hydrocephalus.  I have had that checked.  Nothing is helping.  I can't handle the pain.  I am a mother also.  This affects my everyday life.
really?!   There's no such thing as cervical ribs!  Where did you learn that!
The pain can be different causes from each individual even with the same pain.  The best is to see both neurologist & otolaryngologist for further testing.  I had MRIs for brain, cervical & nerve conduction but couldn't find anything which caused that horrible sharp pain like you all.  My neurologist assumed that muscle spasm can block the communication of nervous system.  Since all medical doctors & scans proved nothing to help me so I looked for alternative treatment.  I can't function normal with the pain & professionals think that I'm alright.  Sometimes, I don't understand western medicine training at all.  I don't like the fact that when you're in much pain & they say that you're 100% fine or normal.  Lately, I have acupuncture for only 4 treatments & feel much better.  For nerve issue, eastern medicine is the best option.  I'm taking too much medication for 12 yrs so I don't want to inject steroid in my body.  I have degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia. sharp pain behind my left ear & headache.  For few treatments of acupuncture, it helps so much.  Yes, it's painful with those needles, but worth it to feel less all over body pain cuz I don't want toxic from all medications & some unknown supplement ingredients.  I'm still taking med but trying to reduce it slowly.  If acupuncture cures my pain, I'll stop the current daily med for sure.  I hope that my comment can be helpful for some of you.  Rest well all & good luck finding the cure.  
Thanks you Dr Sharma
I have a shar pain right behind my ear at the part of the school that kind of points I have been diagnosed with tmd which is my jaw is out of alignment on the side the pain is on. I also have seizures and can tell you mine is not nuero related.
F***k Off *****! Why did you ever bother responding if you have nothing to say!
I can't speak for everyone here, but I can say that if the pain coming from your right ear is matching the pain coming from the back right of your skull. You most likely have TMJ aka Temporomandibular joint dysfunction.

An easy way to tell that you got TMJ is draw a horizontal line from your ears central hole, the external acoustic meatus toward your noes. You should feel a small circle that you can push against about an inch away from your ear. It's your hinging joint.

Push down on it, if you feel pain, you got your answer.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it. You can buy a mouth guard to keep your jaw level while sleeping. (As there is most likely something wrong with how your jaw is resting, but that won't solve the issue because you are going to be talking with people)

This is the reason why you feel pain, every time you move your jaw the imbalance causing pain because you jaw isn't level.

You could try to see about getting an ex-ray to determine what part of your jaw is miss matched. It could be something as simple as wisdom teeth allowing the jaw to rest too high or low. However, if it is like mine, there is nothing that can be fix easily.

Ear dropped will mask the pain though and you can take Sudafed to clear up your sinus. And finally Aspirin if the pain is really bad. The pain will normally go away in a few day so long as you limit your talking as much as possible. Make sure to get plenty of sleep so you don't yawn. And limit opening your mouth in general.

Occipital neuralgia is a distinct type of headache characterized by piercing, throbbing, or electric-shock-like chronic pain in the upper neck, back of the head, and behind the ears, usually on one side of the head.  Typically, the pain of occipital neuralgia begins in the neck and then spreads upwards.  Some individuals will also experience pain in the scalp, forehead, and behind the eyes.  Their scalp may also be tender to the touch, and their eyes especially sensitive to light.  The location of pain is related to the areas supplied by the greater and lesser occipital nerves, which run from the area where the spinal column meets the neck, up to the scalp at the back of the head.  The pain is caused by irritation or injury to the nerves, which can be the result of trauma to the back of the head, pinching of the nerves by overly tight neck muscles, compression of the nerve as it leaves the spine due to osteoarthritis, or tumors or other types of lesions in the neck.  Localized inflammation or infection, gout, diabetes, blood vessel inflammation (vasculitis), and frequent lengthy periods of keeping the head in a downward and forward position are also associated with occipital neuralgia.  In many cases, however, no cause can be found.  A positive response (relief from pain) after an anesthetic nerve block will confirm the diagnosis.
It is not life threatening, and can be treated with rest, or antidepressants if severe.
Hi even I do suffer from this kind of pains, only difference between our's is I do have pain in both side of ears and the time it last is quite more than your's it is usually between half an hour to hour or two. I even noticed that it is sometime triggered by some shrill noise. I did visit different ENT specialist many time but they found nothing and now i am asked to meet neurosurgeon.  
Thank you for posting your remedy to this pain. This pain happens to me often and in the past heat and pain meds are all that seem to help. I was having an episode, researching a cause, and saw your post. I tried it immediately as I had nothing to lose. The pain is nearly gone. From a 10 to 1 in 3 minutes. Thank you! Continuing to research the cause as it happens seemingly at random. MRI, blood panels, physical examinations have been unable to determine the cause.
Just started last night. Pain behind right ear I started timing them. It comes every 45 seconds and lasts as long as a breathe (2 seconds). Not severe pain just annoying  but kept me up all night cause it's annoying
I have had this pain for a month now and reading all these comments had me scared but tonight I noticed every time I sniffed(slight sinus draining) it hurt really bad. I came across an article about the "eustacian tube". It said it can get full of sinus fluid, get stuck closed and cause pain, it said to hold your nose closed with your fingers and blow as if blowing your nose and the tube might come unstuck and drain. I can't believe the pain is gone!!!!! Will get meds for sinus tomorrow, hope this helps someone.
I think this is whays causing mine too...i will try!