Neurology Community
Sharp Pain In Left Back of Head Upon Sneezing

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Symptom: A sharp stabbing pain followed by a burning sensation (upon pain relief) on the left back bottom side of my head when I sneeze (nothing else triggers it including coughs). The pain only lasts 5 to 15 seconds and is gone. The pain is always in the exact same place.

I am twenty one years old and this nuisance began just up to five or six months ago, it has only happened several times in this time span. Ordinarily a pain that only emerges every several weeks and lasts for an average of 10 seconds would be no problem, yet I am worried that this may in fact be a symptom of something that is potentially a lot more serious. I will be consulting a neurologist once I get back home but for now I was wondering if any one out there had some ideas as to what my problem may be.

PS: The pain in question is not a head ache type of pain, it is a short lasting stabbing/burning sensation only present when I sneeze. Furthermore I have had head trauma in the past but their was no head trauma within years of this incident first happening.

Thanks in advance for any of your help
Thank you very much for your question; although it is quite difficult for me to give you a precise opinion here without being able to examine you & seeing your investigation reports, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.  Though your pain sounds like some sort of nerve compression pain but it is quite unlikely to appear after so long of a past head injury, but a neurologist can only give you a precise opinion here after examining you & seeing investigation reports. Another possibility could be a sinusitis pain that originates after mucus block and infection of sinuses. That can be resolved after draining mucus from blocked sinuses. Since you are suffering from this pain from last six months, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away. Hope this helps. Take Care & Regards.

Thank you very much for your help Mr. Srivastava,

The possibilities you have listed are much more refreshing than the other possible  much more dire diagnoses that could apparently be made (according to a basic search of my symptoms).

I'm not a medical expert or anything so you know what they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I better make an appointment with a neurologist ASAP.

Thanks again for your help
The same exact thing just happened to me right now and i hope you found the problem out because i would like to know whats wrong
I have a 4 yr old daughter with the same problem when she sneeze she has sudden pain in the back of her head ... Causing her to scream ..I would like to have more knowledge and information with how to address this... Thank you