Neurology Community
Sharp Pain on the back of my neck...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sharp Pain on the back of my neck...

Hello, I am very anxious to do take care of this situation:

I was Working out (lifting weights) and all of a sudden I feet a sharp pain in the back-right area of my head (about where the neck joins the cranium) as i pumped to lift the weights. The pain was throbbing, intermittent but its quite sharp. I know its not a headache as its on the back of my head and I did read another post (alexl) of a similar kind (did not have a complete answer) and wanted to know if I can do something about it as I dont want to let it go. I tried some pain killers but they did not help. Its been a week and I am really anxious now as I've had a mild headache in the same area of my head.

I am just 30 and i dont have any history of problems running within my family. Any information would be helpful

Thanks,
I'm not a doctor but I do get the pains you seem to be experiencing.  I've had ACDF C5/6/7 surgery following a motor vehicle accident (whiplash), and have some minor problems at the C3/4 level.  I believe it would be the C3/4 level of your spine that would refer pain to that area.  It could also be mucle spasms (being that you were lifting weights at the time you felt it snap) clamping down and causing the pain.  I have a few links that might give you a better idea of what I am talking about.  Also, have you tried a muscle relaxer to give those muscles a break and maybe time to heal?

Here are some links for you to check out....hope they help!

http://www.round-earth.com/ShoulderPainIntro.html  (take a look at the trapezius muscles)

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/21692488/  (simplified picture, but the nerve dermatomes overlap anyhow)
I also had an ACDF on C5-C7 in Nov 2006.  Since my surgery I've been in constant pain.  I have more pain now than before my surgery.  I have had two epidural injections so far with no releif.  I have another one next week.  The doctor doing the injections said that I have a buldging disk at C4 just above my fusion. He said that I may have to have another surgery if the injections don't help.  Could this be caused by the fusion below the disk?  I have read that a multi level fusion can sometimes weaken the disk above or below the fusion.  I have burning pain in my neck and shoulders and it goes down both arms, my ring finger and pinky on both hands are numb.  Any suggestions?
My ACDF5/6/7 was June 2006 and I too have had pain ever since then.  Although the electric like shooting pains down the arms have ceased, the rest of the neck/shoulder/arm/hand aches, shooting pains, burning and tingling has ever so slightly progressed over the months. My OSS sent me for an EMG a few months post-op which showed global sensory slowing & delayed motor conduction velocity in the upper extremities and mild to moderate ulnar neuropathy bilaterally.  I was then sent to an arm/hand surgeon who dx'd me with moderate carpal tunnel bilaterally but felt that the ulnar nerve issues were coming from my neck/shoulder region, so he sent me to a neurologist.  The neurologist stated that he found reduced reflexes of the left bicep & brachioradialis muscles, but had nothing to offer me and said he didn't need to see me again.  I've since had RF procedures done at L2/3 for nerve pain near my hip autograft site, and RF's done at C4/5/6/7 on the left side of my neck, which was the first pain relief I've had in my in 1 1/2 years....but it only got rid of the neck pain.  The base of my skull and up behind my ears is still painful (aches to different degrees), the right side of my neck, and both arms, shoulders, and hands still have their same pains.  My PM said he thinks I may have Facet Syndrome, but has suggested a CT scan of the C-spine would be a good idea in order to get a clearer view of the spinal canal before he does any more RF's or ESI's.  I go back to see my OSS this friday and will know then if he agrees with the PM about getting a CT done on my neck.  It's all so frustrating and depressing trying to find out what's causing all this pain.  My pain levels fluctuate from 4-7 depending on how much I try to do in a day...it  makes me irritable & fatigued.  The more I do, the more I pay....UGH!

If you have any clues as to what's causing this, I'm all ears!!!

Thanks,

Kim  
hi i've had a pain that is very sharo in my neck and shoots up into the bottom of my head which feels like a burning pain,it happened when i took my head of the pillow and since have had a ache/pain in the bottom left of mt head. im very worried please do you have suggestens to what it could be im only 27!