Neurology Community
Sharp pain inner thighs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 201-291 comments:
I had a friend with symptoms like yours and ended up being DVT-Deep Vein Thrombosis. I hope all is well now and you have figured it out.
PART ONE:
This site made me cry...  first because I feel so bad for everyone and secondly, because I know what you are feeling.

My weird pain started out of the blue about four weeks ago -- kind of a twinge of shooting pain here and there at first and then within 48 hours, I could barely walk, stand, sit -- even trying to lay down and position my right leg was excruciating.  

The pain is localized to my right inner thigh "panty line" as some have described it.  No matter how hard I would try, I could not lift my right leg up when sitting.  Left leg no problem, right leg felt like it was nailed to the floor and every attempt was agonizing.

Four weeks later, I still can't lift up my right leg over my left to put on socks.  Even if I use my hands to lift and guide it, it hurts too much.  It also hurts when I bend over to touch my foot so I have to put on my socks in short bursts.  What should take 30 seconds if that long, can take five minutes.

When this first started, I tried Vicodin -- per the normal dosage, one every four hours, didn't even put a dent in the pain, just made me feel mentally sluggish.  Gave up on that, tried Aleve then along with the Aleve, tried taking a Valium at night before bed so I could at least get a good night's sleep because every time I'd move my body -- especially when trying to turn over from one side to the other, the pain would wake me up.  That worked so-so.  Didn't help with the pain.

I don't think I've cursed this much in my life (during the pain strikes which as many above have described, feels like being stabbed with a knife).  My roommates must think I have Tourettes because of these random verbal outbursts which accompany the shooting pain strikes.

The Aleve and Valium don't really help because the pain is def motion related.  I can be sitting like I am now and feel just fine then I shift my body or my leg or foot a 1/4 inch and it's like #$^%@$!!!  WTF?   I try not to sit too long because when I stand, it can take up to five minutes to ease the sharp agonizing pain down past the swearing and gritting my teeth level.  

I think I use the F word more in a single day than one might hear watching a whole month of Comedy Central stand-up specials.

I've tried heating pads and also have a TENS unit (electronic stimulus via little electrode pads hooked up to what looks like a pager).  This makes the muscles contract which in theory, draws blood to the area and helps reduce inflamation (inflammation).  That didn't help either.  

On "better days" I've been able to do more physical activities but I always wind up paying for it later -- usually the next day.  Having wasted three weeks of not being able to get stuff done I needed to do, I forced myself through the pain about a week ago - moving boxes around in a garage and carrying a bunch of boxes and stuff up and down steps.  The following two days I felt like Janet Leigh in the Psycho shower scene because the sharp stabbing moments were wildly insane (far more frequent and painful).  I spent a lot of time horizontal over those two days, which wasn't that much more comfortable than standing, walking or sitting.

Sometimes I can feel the sharp pain shoot up my backside and sometimes down to my knee depending on the motion and position I'm in which as many noted, seems to have something to do with the sciatic nerve but I've had sciatic pain before and it came and went -- this is totally different and the episodes are far more painful.  

I'm older, carrying way too much weight, but don't drink, smoke or indulge in any recreational drugs.  I didn't fall or have some sort of traumatic physical event like accidentally doing the splits so I can't for the life of me figure out how this happened so suddenly out of the blue.  One day I was fine, the next, I'm screaming into my pillow.

I waited to see if this would go away, thinking I must have done something to cause this but the way the pain hits -- especially related to certain motions -- I realized this wasn't going away on it's own anytime soon.  It would seem to get better, then get worse, and so on.  So I knew I'd have to eventually seek medical attention.

END OF PART ONE
PART TWO:
I'm on a fixed income, only have Medicare Part A, can't afford B, finally went to a local hospital this past Wed who didn't want to treat me because of my lack of insurance.  Everyone who came into my room -- the doctor and nurses and admin eval person, phys assts, probably even the janitor, kept saying you need to go to "the other hospital" meaning the county one for the uninsured because I wasn't in a critical life and death situation.  I also suspect that given this was a Catholic Hospital and on the form where it asks what religion you are, next to RELIGION I wrote "causes problems" and AFFILIATION I wrote "human," they probably considered me some sort of antichrist heathen from hellspawn and unworthy of their divine services.  

Finally after begging them to at least LOOK at the area with something other than their eyes like maybe using an Xray, MRI or magic glasses, they did do an Xray which showed nothing other than some degeneration of the hip joint that is normal for my age.  Beyond that, they just coudn't help me (despite their newly expanded ER and all their new fancy high tech stuff they've recently acquired via donations including gigantor grants from FED and State agencies).  Love seeing my tax dollars at work kicking me to the curb.  Yay American Healthcare System!

I considered stabbing myself with a tongue depresser to show them how much pain I was in and how serious this really was but after the X-ray tech had me position my leg in several different pretzel configurations, I was too beaten and depressed to fight back and my leg hurt like hell.  They gave me an injection of some sort of ibruprofen that didn't do anything other hurt and leave me with a lovely little momento of my visit to Elitists R Us Hospital in the form of a bruise on my ***.  Gee thanks.   They'll probably bill Medicare twenty bucks for the bandaid they stuck over the injection site.  

Short of cutting off my leg or jumping in front of a truck or ordering the Dr. Kevorkian DIY kit, I don't know what will make this go away especially after reading about everyone's attempts to seek help from medical experts, specialists and various treatments and for almost all, to no avail.

People say, lose weight -- and then I tell them about this website where folks from all walks of life, ages, sizes, shapes, health conditions, genders, etc., are experiencing the same thing -- five years on now - and no medical professionals seem to have a clue of what to do to help all these people.

My next stop will be the county hospital and if I can manage to sit and wait for 8-16 hours to "get into the system", I'll likely be shuffled around from one specialist to another, poked and prodded and probably prescribed more pain meds that will make me drool like an idiot but won't do crap about the pain and the actual cause.  

I've been looking at pain meds and short of a morphine drip while in an induced comatose state, nothing seems like it will truly work.  Even the moderate narcotic based pain meds turn me into a pseudo mental zombie which in turns, makes me even more dysfunctional than I already am.  

Oh, and the worst is getting in and out of my car.  It's so bad that I dread going anywhere I have to get in and out more than once so this condition has also seriously limited my ability to function normally. I will go without rather than go to the store.  

That's my whine and cheeze for the day.  I'm sorry for being so cynical but I'm exhausted, annoyed, frustrated, sleep deprived and pissed off because of the adverse effects this is having on the quality of my life -- I can't do things I need to do that require even moderate physical activity without these strikes of pain bringing me to my knees.  

I'm feeling everyone's pain, literally, and I hope that whatever it is that is causing us all to suffer, is properly diagnosed and treated so we can remember once again what it was like have a normal pain free life and function at our best, physically, mentally and emotionally.

I send everyone hugs and I wish you all the best.
OMG.....this inner thigh pain/spasms have been happening to me sporadically for the past two years or so. Thankfully they are few and far between but I just experienced it this evening and it's scary as all hell! Especially since my husband is away for work this wknd and I'm home alone with my 3yr old son who is thankfully asleep. I had to finally come online and do a search.....it tends to happen to me as I am getting up from a laying down position and it hits like a ton of bricks!  I breathe like I am in labor because I can't catch my breath because the pain is so severe. It also happened  a few weeks back, the pain was so bad I couldn't even walk and I fell to the floor, my husband wanted to take me to the ER but thankfully it passes within 10 minutes or so. Glad to know I'm not alone buti still haven't been to the doctors about it because once it passes I tend to forget about it!
Just as everyone else has said, thank goodness I found this site.  I have had excruciating stabbing inner thigh pain that radiates to my shin for 1.5 years.  I have had x-rays, MRI, ultrasound therapy, physical therapy, chiropractic adjustments, and a nerve conduction study. Dr's have no idea what this is and nothing has helped it.  My next appointments are with a neurologist and a rheumatologist.  Has anyone with this pain been diagnosed with lupus or multiple sclerosis?
I reciently spent time in a rehability facility and my doctor, an elderly gentleman, told me of a nerve doctor that specialized in the pelvic area that had related a story of a patient that had VERY SIMILAR symptoms that we all share.
Google PUDENDAL NERVE ENTRAPMENT and FEMURAL NERVE ENTRAPMENT. See what you think. My doctor said there are only a handfull of doctors in the country that specialize in neurology of the pelvic region.
If I can ever afford to, this is the fix that I'm going to persue.
I have been in UK for 2 weeks and did not get my work emails - as I
> turned off the account!
> The ileoinguinal nerve usually gets trapped by muscle. This is well
> treated with acupuncture needling of the muscle. I think i get better
> results injecting a mixture of local anesthetic, steroid, bicarb and
> magnesium and following with topical light therapy and magnesium
> topically with Cialis orally if needed. All ver wierd, I know, but
> conventional seldom works

Above is observation made by an anaesthesiologist in Canada. I see him May 31st
My husband had severe pain in the "pocket area" of his left groin/thigh.  It started with shooting pains and the inability to lift his left leg when sitting.  it got so severe he could not straighten his leg to lie down at night.  So he slept in a chair, with the pain waking him all night.  All he could do was walk.  Eventually he fell three times, landing in ER where they gave him narcotics and did a hip and spinal mri.  Okay, after seeing neurosurgeons, hip surgeons, a trauma orthopedist, and others, and after being on lyrica, neurontin, heavy narcotics, etc. he was still in pain and now using a walker.  What they finally found at Johns Hopkins?  He had an undiagnosed crushed pubis bone from a car accident that never properly healed and now had shifted enough to push on a nerve.  The pain clinic did a nerve block of the ilioinguinal and iliofemoral nerve and his pain was gone overnight.  They said this could be done 3 times a year if needed,  It has been 2 months and he has had no return of the pain.  Truly a miracle....I'm so sorry for people who are trying to treat this with narcotics.  They don't touch this horrible, burning shooting pain.
I was glad to find this site.  For the last 4 days I have had extreme pain in my inner right thigh.  It feels like lightening or being severely shocked & the pain is from my knee to my groin area.  My inner thigh is constant numb / bruised feeling.  The "lightening" occurs when I am lifting my leg to get into bed & and then mostly when I roll over onto my side.  It also when I am getting onto the couch to lay & when getting up.  It seems when I roll to my side it is the worst.  The pain is so severe, that I also curse and grab toward my thigh.  After the pain subsides in a minute or so, I was saying to myself "I hope this subsides,,,because I can't imagine dealing with this much longer."  It is so bad that I dread getting up off the couch to go to the bathroom & I dred going to bed at night.  I do not know if it is worse when I walk, as I am still on crutches from recent knee surgery.

I just had surgery on the right knee : complete ACL repair with a cadaver & miniscus repair on both sides ( I am in week 3 of recovery.)  I had missed my first surgery because I had gotten blood clots ( deep vein thrombosis) & clots to the lungs (pulmonary embolism.)  After the clots were discovered, I had to do the blood thinner shots to the stomach & also took coumadin pills for 3 months.  I then had to be off my blood thinners for about a month before I could get my knee surgery.  When I did get blood clots, it was a different pain than what I am now experiencing.  The pain I feel now to the inner right thigh is a quick, sudden (especially when turning over to my side) sharp electrical pain which subsides after usually a minute,  & a pain level of 10+++.

I noticed people were wondering if shingles was a foctor.  I did have shingles about 3 years ago.

I  used to see a chiropractor & get accupuncture on a regular basis previous to my knee injury to help keep me aligned as my right rear lower back would get a "pinched feeling."  If I did those things regularly, I would not get the Pinch to lower back.  But, Since my ACL / miniscus injury I have not been to a chiropractor because I could not lay on my stomach, right side, walk, & BLOOD CLOTS could be caused to move to heart from my pulmonary emoblism.

I have always had a tendency to have calf cramps and foot cramps at night, but this is much different. The pain level is much much much more severe ( and I thought the calf cramps were painful ..) and is always in my right inner thigh.

Also when I injured my knee (torn ACL, both meniscus damaged, 3 torn calf muscles) I had a lot of spasms throughout my leg which is also consistant with nerve damage.  The spasms were so frequent for a long period of time that the Dr gave me a muscle relaxer which helped with diminishing some of the spasms.  The spasms also were nothing compared to this "lightening electricity" that I am not feeling on my inner right thigh!  I still take the muscle relaxers that I have been taking since my knee injury...unknow if pain would be worse if I didn't have them?? although I can't imagine the pain being any worse.

I read all the comments, and I wonder if this is :

related to my knee surgery & the nerve block that was given to my femoral nerve previous to surgery?

or if I have a damaged nerve from the surgery?

Is it because I have not been able to see a chiropractor & I am out of alignment (have some back pain now)?

Is it because of previous shingles?

Or hopefully not blood clots again that is now pressing on a nerve?  

I see my blood clot Specialist at the Uof M tomorrow & also an apt with my surgeon who performed my ACL / meniscus surgery weeks ago.  It sounds like everyone has gone to doctors with not many answers or cures.  

I will try some of the remedies that have seemed to help some of you, thank you for the suggestions...I have yet to read through all 200+ blogs.  I can't imagine this going on for a long period of time.  My heart goes out to all of you with these tremendous lightening pains.  
Does anyone got any cure because my little sister having same problem in left upper inner thigh. Done MRI,X-RAY, ETC. Mail me at capricorn1234_4u***@**** I would be so thankful to all of you.
I am having the same inner thigh pain on the left only.  I am using Lipoderm Lidocaine Patch 5% that you apply directly to the area and it lasts for 12 hours.  There are OTC pain patches--ask the pharmacist.  You can cut these patches to fit in an area that the large patch isn't needed and save it to use another time.  Just a thought.  

I was going to make an appt with my Rheumatologist, but after reading this forum, I decided to use the patch first.  There is also topical Voltaren gel that is a prescription (ask for a sample).  Most doctors have samples, I know because I work for one.  Some are stingy.....

FYI .. a doctor will not just give you a sample without seeing you because of legal liability. But if you have already seen a doctor and had all the tests and nothing shows up, then they should be willing to give it a try .....just saying.
It is amazing how many people suffer from this.  I have had it happen three times in the last 2 years.  It has always been in the middle of the night and it is excrusiatingly painful.  I have had to deal with numerous kidney stones, including ones that have gotten stuck, and this is just as painful or worse.  Luckily, it subsides after 15 minutes or so.  I have mentioned it to my doctor and he says it is nothing to be concerned with because it only happens once a year.  Dehydration sounds like a plausible cause.  I do play a lot of racquetball, followed by long stays in the steam/sauna room.
The things I have done to help with this nerve pain.

-my blood clot specialist did an ultrasound & it came back negative with clots.

-I went to the ER  because pain was so bad.  They said it seemed like nerve damage.  They prescribed me GABAPENTIN which is a med usually used for persons with siezures, but has been known to help with nerve pain. They also gave me prescription for DILAUDID for pain.  They told me to see my orthopedic surgeon that had performed my ACL & meniscus surgery.

-I then went to my orthopedic surgeon who said he has seen this occur before, but it is rare.  They said they believed it was nerve damage from my femoral nerve block that was given to me before my surgery.  They also prescribed FLEXIRIL (muscle relaxer.)

-I then went to the chiropractor who thought there may be something wrong with my right hip.  They have been doing ultrasound on my hip area.

-******the pain has been diminished & is not as severe because of the GABAPENTIN & FLEXIRIL & the ultrasound treatments from the chiropractor.  I have also been resting alot and not sitting upright as that seems to agitate it.  I stopped taking the DILAUDID since I could still feel my pain right through it (so whats the point of taking it.)****** I HOPE THIS INFO CAN HELP

-I just had a MRI on the hip and pelvis area, and have not gotten my results back yet.
I can't imagine using a patch or any cream to rub into the area. When the pain hits I can't move. It is so severe I think I will die. I can't even straighten my leg. Then after about 10 mins it just disappears with no soreness whatsoever, I have a ceramic replacement hip under anaesthetic and a knee scrape after an epudiral. I never had the pains before those ops. Good luck everyone
I have been having attacks of cramps like this for a few years now. I had one this morning and I am still feeling residual pain, and worry, that it is going to happen again. Both legs have this, and I actually do scream as sharply as the pain. Someone, please find a cure.
Pickle juice really does help this wretched pain subside, a few swallows and it takes two or three minutes. I have had this periodically over the past several years and omg, worst pain I have ever had. I have no known nerve damage but periodic muscle spasms in my back which require flexibility...
Your imput made me both laugh and cry. Only we souls who suffer can understand. This has happened to me over the past 4 or 5 years. Sitting on a low sofa, turning over in bed etc etc. It is so easily triggered. Like you I am sure it is nerve centred and pain killers do not work. It happens to me when my legs are in a bent position and there is no way I can straighten them until the pain subsides, usually after about 5 mins and then it is as though it has never happened until the next episode.
About 6 months ago I bought a sort of tens machine to improve circulation in my feet and legs and since doing this for 30 mins a day my spasms have certainly reduced.
Good luck.
Hi, I am 19 years old and I have read through many of these and found that my father has just tonight had the exact same pain described in this forum. He is 48 y.o., overweight, type 2 diabetes, and his right ankle is fused from reconstructive surgery to keep it in place. I was in the kitchen when I heard him screaming at the top of his voice like I have never heard before. I ran into his room to see him trying to stand screaming, "My leg!" He then plopped onto the bed still screaming literally crying and leaning back. I immediately started to massage the afflicted area like I normally do when he complains of a calf spasm. It seemed to dissipate for a moment and then he tried to sit up sending him into another fit of pain. I then quickly got up and grabbed a tube of Bengay used for arthritis and applied it thoroughly. It seemed to do the trick for that particular incident, but after reading through all of these posts I fear it may just be the beginning and I really can't stand to see my father, who has worked most of his life and the past 7 years from a wheelchair due to several amputations on his feet caused by his diabetes, in anymore of this horrifying pain which he himself said was the absolute worst pain he's ever felt. Please, give me whatever help you can as I try to follow up on what I've learned from this forum. You can e-mail whatever advice you think can help to ***@****. Thank you.
Just read all the posts here. Generally it seems to be nerve damage of some kind but no one has resolved the true cause.
Childbirth came a close second so men should be grateful they don't produce the babies.
Good luck.
OMG...it is horrible and I am so thrilled to find others that know what I am going thru.I have a quick relief for my pain. This  sounds silly but this is how I discovered help for myself.  I have horses and what I am experiencing with this pain is ,what  I believeto be  similar to what horses experience at times...so I tried the  quick fix  that we use for the horses  and it worked. Some horses experience what is called  Ty-up or what is called a hype attack ...it is a locking up of the muscles.( often brought on by excessive work and swetting.The emergency  home remedy for that is the use of baking soda and water administered to the animal orally. When the pain hits me and it is suddan as you well know ,  I run to the kitchen and put a 1  teaspoon of baking soda in 4 oz of water and down it. It tastes salty but within a few minutes I get relief. The pain is so debilitating I am speechless, I just clutch my thigh and mix the soda with the other hand....I am like a crazy person getting some kind of a desperate fix but that is what it does is fix my anguish. As I say this is the home remedy that we give the horses but apparently works for people too...it worked for me.I agree with the idea that it is all related to dehydration...which you can be even if you drink alot of water...it is about electrolytes . Pedialite may be the better bet to try as well...smart to keep some on hand plus some plain old baking soda. Good luck and I feel your pain when it comes to this , I am so glad their is some support of others who know what we are going thru...best wishes,DEB from Illinois
Hi Debs and well done you. However, when the pain strikes me I can't move never mind get to the kitchen to mix up some remedy. The pain is like a knife which has stabbed through my leg and is holding it in a bent position. There is no way I can move it. After about 5 mins the pain goes completely!!
Good luck
I too have experienced sharp stabbing pains in my thighs and groin area.  It happens ususally at night and so unexpectently.  Sometimes it happens twice in the same night!  It is so painful, I have to scream out in pain.  It only lasts five to ten minutes but it is making sleep difficult.  I also experienced pains in my thighs afterwards -- tender to touch.  Sleep is impossible since my legs ached when I lied down.  

After several trips to my doctor with little help, I finally went into emergency(after a bad night).  The doctor on duty recommended to have some blood work to see if I am lacking any defiencies.

It came back that my vitamin B12 level was very low.  This can be very serious since without knowing it, it could lead to heart disease, some forms of cancer, degenration of nerves especially around the spinal column and Alzemer's disease.  Secondly, the liver builds up neceessary B12 for the cells.  Very important for DNA development and the generation of red blood cells.  (I also a bit anemic).  The liver stores b12 for five to seven years.  So I been having b12 defiency for at least thatength of time.  This can lead to permanent damage to one's heart and nervous system.

The pain in my thights felt more like nerve pain than muscular pain (cramps).  
Suggestion:  Ask your doctor to get your B12 levels check.  Very important.  The blood test is easy and the solution is just as easy.  Once a week I have been receiving injections of B12 straight into my bloodstream.
After one week I started to feel bettere and no longer feeling pains in my legs and thighs.  It too early to tell yet if the stabbing pain comes back but I am glad I have this check out.  Thngs could only get worse developing other health problems.

Good Luck everyone and I will keep you posted
Very useful, thanks Lorne. Will check my B12
I've recently had this happen and it looks like it is Obturator Nerve Injury and Entrapment - or nerves around that area.  It's happened a few times when I've been sitting during a meeting and I stand up and almost fall over - I think it's a matter of losing weight (for me! i've gained some pounds after rupturing my achilles last fall and going through rehab/recovery after surgery - before I was a NCAA D1 Tennis player and marathoner...can't wait to get back to it!) and getting the nerve out of it's entrapped space - which might be easier said than done.  I've had a pinched nerve in my shoulder before and the feeling was similar but the whole standing on the affected leg brings a different set of complications.  For the shoulder nerve I had a combination of cortisone injections and rehab - though I'm hesitant to get any cortisone injections in my hips for fear of the breakdown of my joint.  Will keep you guys updated but do a little research on the Obturator Nerve Injury and Entrapment - I think you'll see a lot of similarities!  Thanks and good luck!
I have had this pain before, but today it has been coming and going for about the past 5 hours. The pain is so intense, comes on suddenly. I was unloading paver bricks, sweating profusely and kept pushing myself to do the work. I had been feeling pressure type of feeling in my lower abdomine. much like the pressure you have from carrying a baby or having period pains and pressure. Yet this is not the case.

Today I am certain that I need to find a solution. I often think..."Oh, this is it a blood clot is going to take me out today!"
Iced it, layed down, drank lots of water...still the pain comes on like a sniper! I take neurotin for RLS so I have taken one of them..will see if it helps. I too have shingles. This is not the same pain. Trust me.
I do not have baking soda so I cant try it now. I will try the pickle juice and see what b vitamins I have on hand. Thanks to all who have shared your pain!

I also suffer from the same identical symptoms and also medications. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said he had never heardof anything like this ( which is probably bs). I noticed my pain elevated after starting cholesorol meds. I askedhim about this and he suggested that I refrain from taking the cholesorol for about 3 weeks and seeif I had any relief. IF it is the culprit, he would change the type of cholestorol . That is what I am going to do to start. It is a shame that all of us sufferers have to "self diagnose" things. I know Doctors only make an educated guess too but they get paid the big bucks for our own diagnosis. Do you ever get migraines and/or heart palpitations with yours?? Good luck, I feel and share in your pain and suffering !!!!!!!!!!!
hi  I'm so happy to find people like me first of I'm 21 yrs. old  ride motocross and  street bikes  not i been in this  pain for over 6 months thinking is join to go away by itself i been to docs got m.r.i    x rays also the ER where they lay you in bed and give you ibuprofen and mail you the bill.. I have sharp pains level from 1 to 10 is deft a 10 shouting pain i scream and curse and walk with a pretty bad limp  can't sit because it hurts can't lay cause sharp pains run down my leg takes usually 20 mins to get up from bed almost like a car gotta warm up my leg walk around and with a limp i can work in pain  but lately i can't walk at all so I'm beginning to panic not knowing whats join on with me and docs are no help i  was  telling my doc about Mononeuropathy (Neuropathy) with causes paralysis  witch is really what i feel like i am and i couldn't belief that i had to kinda give ideas because he says he never seen something like this  but he sees the sl 63 amg that cost 160,000  that he drives everyday   just upsets me so much so he gives me musculatory  pain medication  with hasn't done crap for me sleeve was kinda working for a time then i went to bays back and pain but i was taking about 5 at one shot and at that point i was doing more harm to my self than anything else  dim where to go from here so if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts i will be more than happy to listen and take advise I'm to young not overweight no cholesterol or suffer from any kind of knowing  disease  so please help and my heart  goes out to all of you who suffer daily like me  

***@****
Hi Larry,
Sorry to hear about your pain. Try a general Vitamin B Multivitamin. I have been much better since doing so.
Good luck
Maisie UK
I will be 72 in November and started having leg cramps in all places, about 6 years ago, but the worst was the inner thighs, usually both legs at once; awful, excruciating pain and it was daily for awhile, trying to happen  because I leaned over or stretched; or just because.  Now, I only begin to have one now and then, but I run scared all the time since it can hit at any time.  

I don't remember when I started buying these capsules called "Leg Cramps". I keep them in my purse and by my bed and take one if I feel a twinge, or have eaten a fast food dish and then lie down, because almost always that seems to be when it can happen.  Since it can happen at any time, doing anything, I am very sensitive to my legs, so if I am out shopping or in the car and feel anything at all, I will take one of these capsules and let it dissolve in my mouth.  I also drink water throughout the day and keep it in the car as well.  

The Leg Cramps, have quinnine in them as does tonic water, but I would be afraid you might not get enough by drinking a little here and there so the pills are better and you can take more than one at a time.  I feel like taking one and also drinking water, kind of wards off or blocks an impending cramp.   I also take a liquid calcium with magnesium etc., and I think it is good to take this before bed as well.

Also, if I feel like a cramp might be impending, I shower my legs in the spot that feels weird with as hot a water as possible for at least 5 minutes and this is usually at night or if I am going to lie down day or night, if I feel like it could happen.  I think it does block it and maybe the hot water relaxes the muscles, whereas a heating pad won't do that.  I also hobble to the shower if a cramp starts and shower my legs in the area of the cramp.  Maybe showering the legs and feet and inner thighs for 5 minutes before bed may help; its worth a try.

Also, my idea of an impending cramp, might be a tightening on top of the foot or toes, a feeling in the lower leg, anything, that suggests something could be trying to start.  I  take a Leg Cramp capsule, get up and walk a minute.  I would rather get a head start, just in case...  Hope this is helpful to someone.
My husband had similar pain....stabbing pain in thigh front, so bad he couldn't walk until it subsided.  His doctor tested his blood and found he was very low in vitamin D, and prescribed a high dose.  He has had no pain since taking vitamin D.
My pain was diagnosed as trapped Ilioinguinal nerve through an EMG test and recommended LYRICA. Did not take it. Fortunately I found a specialist in Kingston , Ontario and he injected a concoction in my groin and recommended Magnesium supplements. I have been pain free for 3 months since the injection. I suffered intense pain for over a year and my GP had no clue. Thanks to Dr Henry, my life is back to normal.
What did you find out from the doctors?  I have the same pain; please help and thank you.
I have just started experiencing this pain in my upper, inner right thigh...near groin area.  It's acute, prickly pain that comes and goes and just began 3 months ago only on the right side.  I do have lower back pain issues and am wondering if there is any connection.  Also interesting, it seems to increase in frequency when I'm ovulating.  I haven't been to the doctor about it because I feel somewhat insane even reporting this.  It's almost like someone is pricking needles into me and it aches as well.  Good to know I'm not the only one!
It sounds like you have a nerve being compressed in your lower back, probably between the L-3 and L-4 vertabrate, i have the same pains along with a few others in my legs, I am due to have surgery soon to correct my problems. You should probably go see a orthapedic dr or a nuerosurgen.
my husband is having these symptoms... terrified and convinced it is a clot! seems the femural nerve entrapment is the most likely cause... anyone found a CURE?
Hopefully you still read this board, its been a couple months since you posted. I actually just started getting this sharp, stabbing pain on my upper inner thigh, and I do have Lupus.  At first, I thought maybe I pulled a groin muscle, but with Lupus, you can never be too sure. It could be a blood clot, or many other scary things I've read about tonight online!  I am going to try to use heat to relieve the pain, and hope it goes away within the next couple days. I walk like a zombie, and it *****!  If it does not get better, I am going to go see my rhematologist and see what she thinks.
I haven't posted here in over a year but saw your comment in my email.  I am a 46 year old white man, a little overweight, but generally in good health.  I went and had ultrasound performed about two weeks after my last pains back then.  They found nothing and I have had no pain since.  My pain came and went every couple months for about a year and a half.  I still hope that it was just a pinched nerve and expect it will return eventually (but hopefully not).
Hello to everyone,
I am a 52 year old male,I will try to describe what I am going through not shure what to think what is going on with my left inner thigh area? I can walk some distance without pain but then if I make a certain turn with my left leg making any movement inwards or outwards with my left leg just even a little I get a very sharp jabing painful radiating pain through the inner thigh that can also radiat within the area even sometimes deep to the inner joint of my thigh & moving to very top front of my leg,
what is also strang that this problem also has started up around the time when my left foot had swollen up not shure why that has happened either even my right foot had swelled up but not as bad as the left side,
I am lost why all this is happening? someone thinks I may be diabetic though was checked for that back in 2010 when I had similar problems foot swelling as well knee problem & the inner thigh,though in time things had gotten better for about a year now it seems to be a somewhat relapse of what I been through back in 2010,the only difference is that in 2010 I couldn't sit down for too long my inner thigh would cramp up soo bad I would be in severe pain & it was horrible to say the least!!! I am glad that that part is not happening though dealing with this pain is like walking on egg shells not knowing when @ any moment making a certain suden move the wrong way will make me want to scream!! anyone can offer any help it shurley would be appreciated!! in the mean time I am just watching every step & trusting in God to cure this problem! may God bless & heal each of you with your problems of any pains you maybe going through!
Eofpa
you know  what, I know the pain your talking about. I started getting this pain after I had knee surgery, almost 5 years ago, and since it has gradually  gotten worst. It happnes at night during sleep. I usually spring outta bed, and try and walk it off,but it's so painful, that i ache, and cry,and have to get to the frig, and grab anything cold, and place it right in that area. Just recently it has plague me in bot legs. If there is anything more horriffic is having both of my inner thighs spasing out. I don't really know  whats causing it, can't say it for sure it's a knee thing, but honestly that is when it started. Today something new is going on. I am awake walking normally, and the pain is present in my thigh, not hurting, but it appears to be aching some, like i'm ready to get a cramp. I have been massaging it the last few minutes. Really unsure why it's bothing menow, during wake hours. I'm very active, I'm 51 years old, feeling 30's. I don't know  what this is, but seeing this post,makes me wondering what could be happening .
Hi.  I have osteoarthritis both knees and eventually need the knee replacements.  Then I have recently acquired ankle arthritis (both ankles) and that is more of an issue than the knees.  On top of that my right foot has been a pugey foot because of edema and now have 'leaky veins's and must wear compression socks.  For heavens sake, I am not 90, but in my 50's!!  But you have to do what you have to do, right?  But now, sharp stabbing pain has been happening at the part wear underwear is, and groin area.  This makes it impossible to get in the car, pick up the leg for stairs.  What on earth is this now?  I believe you have arthritis and are walking bone on bone and so feel the fragile bone that feels shattered when making a wrong move.  It may just need a clean out, an arthroscope.  The other thing is with me anyway, I have been diagnosed low Vitamin D.  I will take this, but who knows.  VW
I've had the same thing and many many tests. My doctors thought I was nuts.  I was tested for diabetes and was positive once I started monitoring my blood sugar and watched my carbs (3 or less per meal) the pain went away.  As soon as I ate sugar or more than 3 carbs per meal the unbareable pains came right back!  1 carb is 15 grams, so no more than 45 grams per meal.  I now eat lots of salads.  But no more problem.  It was sugar running wild in my system.  The pain started on one side of my legs and then went to the other side. Couldn't move even an inch without out unbareable pain.  
I had my first attack last night on my right inner thigh. Interesting you mentioned lower back pain as I strained my lower back a couple of days ago. May be some connection (nerves etc.). Hope it is my last.
I just recently started having this pain. Center part of my left inner thigh.
At first I thought OhNo! I have shingles, because that is the shooting pain it feels like, but no signs of shingles on the outside.  I have been on a vitamin/green shakes regimen for my arthritis which seems to help with that as long as I keep up with it other wise I take over the counter artrhits pain formula. I feel for anyone with pain issues since I have been dealing with them since 2004 after a fender bender. Good luck to everyone.
I had 'liquid fire' for the first time last night and I will never forget it!!!  I was getting up from a low lounge when I felt this heat shoot through both my thighs at the same time.  Then the most severe pain I have ever felt.  I couldn't walk and had to stand with my legs bent - the pain was in both legs. I thought i was going to pass out but was in too much pain to lie down.  So I leaned over a table and wondered if I should call an ambulance.  I live alone, so was very frightened.  I was sweating profusely.  After about 10 minutes it started to subside. I looked in the mirror, my hair was damp and there was no colour in my normally bright face.  I was white like a corpse.  
It's Sunday morning and was heading off to try and find a doctor/ultrasound, so reading this has been a blessing.  It seems I'm not going to die, but as to getting another attack of this.....it terrifies me!!!!  
For the past month I have had constant burning pain on the inner side of my right knee. The best way to describe it is like a razor blade slashing into the deepest part of the skin. After seeing my Dr. she had xrays taken and said that there is some arthritis on the knee. I repeatedly told her it is NOT the knee but the leg area...I certainly know that this is not the way arthritis feels. She sent me to see an orthopedic Dr. who gave me a injection of cortizone. This was 4 days ago and the shot did absolutely no good other than make the knee sore and turn it black and blue. I took the shot at the time because I was hoping that it might relieve some of the pain but almost knowing 100% it wouldn't. He said to call and he could schedule an MRI to see what is going on if needed. Does anyone have any comments/or ideas that might be of help........I am thinking it is nerve related...the pain is certainly intense and is almost constant. Also my Dr. gave me some pain meds (Meloxicam) which does not lessen the pain at all.
  I read several posts. I will try to be concise. I see a Pain Management Clinic. I know that a lot of people do like the idea of narcotic pain killers, but I tell you when my back pain shifted to the inner thigh area it has been hell. Someone described feeling it immediately after getting up from a prone or lying position--wow, I thought someone else described my experience to a tee.  I won't bother telling you the names of types of pain medicine unless someone wants to know, but all I know is 15 minutes after taking my medicine...it is like manna from Heaven. I can clean up, stand in the shower, get on the computer, perform normal routine activities. I am blessed that I am a disabled veteran who also receives Social Security Disability. I am retired Army so between the two insurances, Tricare and Medicare I have no co pays. I also discovered I had breast cancer so underwent a double mastectomy and reconstruction. But, I digress I only mentioned that to say that even undergoing chemo and saline injections for reconstruction is less painful than the thigh pain. I know this makes me dependent on the medicine but the relief is so glorious, if you have ever experienced it--imagine it going away for a good 4 to 6 hrs and feeling whole again. I only ask that if you have a deep aversion against medicine or a doctor hesitant to treat your pain, look for pain management specialist--they are anesthesiologists trained and licensed to dispense these medicines differently. They have other options as mentioned here, rubs, TENs units, etc but I know that I can not express how grateful I feel when I can move about. Good luck to all.
Please consider an arterial occlusion.. in light of your severe pain, burning and profuse sweating, with changes in your blood pressure-

Emergency room doctors usually check for a DVT- known as a venous thrombosis or blood clot, but they don't usually assess for an arterial clot which can also cause those symptoms you have described. Not to scare you..

I am so glad that this is not just me......

I have been suffering from periodic severe thigh pain for a number of years with no diagnosis.  The pain is on the inner thigh just above the knee (VMO area??) and at times, like now, is in a state of constant stabbing pain.  The pain is mostly manageable with a large number of tramadol (50 mg - 10+ per day).  The pain will then flare up to severe when all I can do is hold my leg, wait for it to pass and try not to cry out, especially when at work.  There is no difference to the pain whether I am resting or using my leg (walking, swimming etc.) PLEASE can someone tell me what could be causing it and what I can do to stop it.  I am no stranger to pain as have injured myself a number of times over the years but the stabbing pain in my thigh, when at its worst, is the worst I have ever felt.
I developed this type of pain attacks this past year. I have chronic pelvic pain,pain from my belly button to pubic area. Sex is painful, excercising forget it. Had to give up running, advid runner in my teen years and early adult hood. Had 8 surgeries to figure out what was causing the pain including BOTOX in my private area to stop my nerves from having spaz attacks. The botox only caused more issues and has to be done with a local sedation which means I have to pay a fee ($500) because its considered a "surgery". These have to be done every 3 months.

I have had every blood test, xray, mri, ct, ultrasound done and then some, nothing has come back abnormal. Ive had 8 surgeries before 22 y/o. I see a pelvic pain specialist 2 hour drive from my town. He brushes the numbness pain that hurts so bad I cry for hours on end off like nothing. I have a tens-unit doesnt help, it actually brings on the spazums even more. I see a PT 2 times a week. I take muscle relaxers and a once a day motrin on top of a nerve blocker. None of these rx's have helped one bit.

I am not over weight and have been tested for the rhumatic facor do not have this either. I have had to quit my job (pastry chef) because of the pain. Its been 8 months since I last worked. I can not sit for long drives, motorcycle rides for longer than 1hr, or riding horses.

I have tried every pain rx imaginable they do not touch the pain even a bit. Doesnt help that im allergic to codine so everytime i end up in the er on one of my bad days they go straight to the morphine :(

I now have issues sleeping because of the pain that radiates from my inner grion area to my knee (right leg). Left side completely normal. I have asked my primary dr to refer me to a neurologist & she tells me she doesnt think its necessary. Next new dr option is "Chronic Pain Management". pretty much a bull sh** dr who teaches you how to meditate & breathing exercises. Frustrated!!!!!!!! Email me if anyone has pelvic pain issues followed by this pain inner thigh to knee (groin to knee)

Marina.***@****
i also experienced everything you are going through.....at times i did not want to live....then i came across joint mobilation of the hip....thank God i have a wonderful husband who will perform this procedure on me every night and i am also doing hip exercises...in the last 3 months my pain level has gone from a 10 plus to a 6-7.  i found the hip mobilization on the web site www.cyberpt.com
Re: July 098, 2012.
I reported similar symptoms.  I also have been taken monthly B12 injections since then and continue to do so today.   I am happily to report I hadn't had any recurrence of this extreme pain.  Recommendation: get your B12 check.  It can lead to very serious health problems if it is low.
Get blood work done for B12 defiency.  I was very low on B12 and are now receiving B12 injections.  No recurrences.  
I have had the same horribly painful inner thigh cramps that everyone on this list mentions, to the point that I am sometimes afraid to lie down to sleep at night for fear I will get a cramp.  When I tried to get up this morning, I got a cramp in BOTH inner thighs at once and thought I might die and briefly wished to, rather than go through the stress and the pain again.

LorneB, you have mentioned vitamin B12 several times on this thread.  For the last four years, I have taken B12 every day, a sublingual dose of 2000mcg.  It has not helped me at all.  I think--and believe me, I am sorry to say this--that one, it will not work for everyone and two, it may be coincidental that it seems to work for you.  BUT: I am happy for you that you have had no recurrence of these cramps.

Cristina
Your father is a very lucky man to have such a wonderful caring child.  Good luck to you with this matter.
I am also a sufferer of this kind of pain. Last night, i had the feeling that something intense was rising on my very upper thigh, between my pelvis bone and my thigh. It was so intensifying with an excruciating amount of pain, and the heat could not stop even after several days. What i did, is that i grabbed two ice cubes covered with a rug, and started moving it across my leg almost for half an hour until the ice had melted completely. This solved it for a while, but not temporarily though. Later, the pain rose higher to an extent that I couldn't walk straight or bend my leg. I think it is a nerve cell that has popped off as there is no inflammation or mark bruises. It's deep enough in which this agonizing pain is why it is hard to be relieved from. Hope u all get better !!!! (-;
i was told by a friend that he ***** down 2 or 3 little mustard packs like from fast food places when he gets these cramps. he flys a lot and never goes anywhere without a pocket full of the mustard packs. maybe this wll work for you.
I too am having the exact thing, the pain comes so fast in my inner upper thigh that i scream and fall to the floor. It happens when i am vacuuming the house most of the time or when i am walking, i have to stretch my leg out and make my hip pop or i can walk or lift my leg. Has is gotten better for you? what are you doing to make things less painful?
About three weeks ago a started to feel a striking sharp pain in inner thigh. Sometimes I just stand up or move and it leaves me. But simetme it levae smy thigh sore and hurting. then it leaves as a fast as it came, I see that when I move it is gone. But it's a sharp striking pain.  What could it be and recomend. Thanks alot.
I just had a nerve test done and they found nothing. I have CONSTANT pain from groin to knees, not the few minutes everyone else is talking about. I can not lift my leg to get in my car without an agonizing scream. I did have injections in my SI joints this past year ( lower back) and it still hurts so I am leaning towards a pinched nerve. I will have to call Pain management that I was going to and ask who I see for this because I tried everything else. I also have fibromylagia (fibromyalgia) and am on gabapentin and lots of other stuff and nothing is helping any of my pain. I doubt it is blood clots or any of the other stuff everyone else is talking about. It makes sense it is the lower back.
I experienced very sharp pain spasms in my inner thigh over a period months Then I discovered after a period away from home without a particular pair of work shoes, that the pains had not occurred, whereas they were happening regularly. I replaced the inner sole in those shoes and have not had the pain since.
Thx so much for your input abt thigh pain. I have been complaining abt this for 2 yrs. Cannot sit, squat, lie in bed without pain & cramping. I live in Santa Barbara, CA. Anyone know drs in this area?
Thank  you for posting this...you sound just like me [my  symptoms!]  I can't stand it, it is like a bolt of lightening!! I was wondering if anyone else experienced this!
Had upper thight pain ever since i was 17 an 24 now it fells like both my uper inner thighs are burning an cramping had doctors check it out but they cant find anything beside give vicoden but dont help trying to figgure out what it is but i raced dirtbikes ever since i was 13 so could be pinched nerve so idk
After reading through many comments on this horrible pain and discussing it with my lovely wife, she suggested drinking Gatorade before going to bed,... I slept pain free!!! Thinking back, between hot yard work, being up in the hot attic and night sweats when I sleep, I had lost a lot of electrolytes. I would like to thank the individual who posted the baking soda/water remedy.
May God Bless You.
Omg...you described my pain exactly...don't know when you posted...what did they finally end up doing?

Maryjean
I've had the same issues everyone else is experiencing. I've gone to my regular doctor, a neurologist and a pain management specialist, they seem to "think" it's due to having a herniated disc along time ago that has healed. I've had MRI's as well and they couldn't find anything wrong. I also have lower back pain and sacral disorder and get injections on a monthly basis, however the pain in the inner leg going towards my groin area is excruciating and sometimes I can fall if not careful. I wish someone would look into this issue more thoroughly.
Did you ever get any diagnosis for this? Sounds just like my thigh pain, on inner frront. I almost screamed when I got up last night. Sitting or standing did not help. Very deep inside the tissue.
Have had this problem 3 times in last 6 months. Started at time of knee problem (osteoarthritis and eventurally found out a torn miniscus).
Hope you've found some relief.
My orthopedic specialist said that my upper thigh pain is probably due to the upper thigh muscles being out of balance and the front muscles (forget the names) needed to be stretched ( I had told him that I did stretching exercises for the rear leg muscles and tendons but not the front). So he recommended that I pull each foot upward behind me and toward the opposite side (i.e., right hand pulling up left foot in the back) and hold, just hard enough to feel a stretch (not enough to create pain). I do this on both sides, even though only one side is giving me fits, holding the stretch for 30 seconds to a minute at least two times, morning and evening. Try it, as long as it doesn't cause pain.
I  AM 79 YEARS OLD AND HAVE SPORADIC  SHOOTING PAIN IN INNER THIGH  . I FOUND THAT THERE IS NO CURE. HOWEVER IT RELIEVES IF I KEEP THE AFFECTED  AREA COMPRESSED BY MY PALMS AND DRINK A LOT OF WATER

This may be the best recap of the problem I've ever read. Spot on, as they say!  I had a double lamenectomy and diskectomy 3 years ago and also have to deal with stenosis.  No way out due to age.  I work with physical and occupational therapists and they diagnosed it right away as having to do with the L2 and L3 lumbar areas.  My spine surgeon confirmed it.  I have no intentions to have more surgery.  It would be like a 90 year-old opting for a prostatectomy.  Why bother?

The spine surgeon suggested taking a magnesium supplement, which I've seen elsewhere here.  He also said, grim as it sounds, that walking can actually help so get thee to a treadmill, to which I replied, get thee to hell!  If a person hasn't experienced how badly this hurts, he/she just doesn't get it.  I will admit that, with stenosis, staying active helps.  Any sort of stretching of the spinal column is a good thing, in spite of what seems counterintuitive.  Dr. Feelgood also said a nerve blocking cortisone injection (also mentioned in this thread) should give me relief for about 6 months and he had a physician he would recommend if I decided to go that route.  There are days when I almost wish I had a prosthetic leg because, not only is the inner thigh pain there, but outer thigh hurts right down to the knee and sometimes the toes on the right leg get numb.  Gimme a break!

Bending down to feed my cats in the morning (yeah, I know, blame it on the cats) is excruciating.  And clipping my toenails?  I'd rather have a root canal with no happy gas.  When it's time for that chore, I bite down on a towel to keep from F-bombing the neighborhood.

Bottom line to all of this is that we aren't alone.  The pain may be caused by different things with different people and sometimes it just gets better for a few months or even a year and then - whammo! - it's back with a vengeance. Pain management seems to be the solution but I avoid narcotics because, though I'm old enough to have been a waiter at the Last Supper, I still have a full time job running a healthcare IT company, so I'll just deal with it, scream occasionally and may get one of those shots one of these days.

Aleve works fairly well but I worry about long term effects. Advil is almost worthless and Extra Strength Tylenol isn't much better and you need to take 6/day to get any relief.  Someone mentioned Voltarin gel. I have a large tube of that (Lord, it's expensive) thatbwas prescribed for an aching thumb joint and wrist, but I don't think this is purely a muscle thing.  I might try it sometime, though, as I'vengot nothing to lose.  Oh yeah, and did I mention that some wicked arthritis in the right hip doesn't help matters?
Meralgia paraesthetica is what is happening. I am a police officer on Reidsville NC. I was fighting with a subject who I was going to place under arrest. I put my leg out to trip him but my leg stayed planted. His body fell against my leg and instantly I felt pain. I could not stand and I had to go get checked out. In all my ACL was torn and I needed orthoscopic surgery. About 2 weeks prior to surgery my left side of my leg started feeling numb. The numbness was constant but my leg felt sore to the touch. At nights I would mive my leg and instantly felt like thousands of bees stinging my outer leg down to my knee. It was like a spider webb of fire was placed  inside my leg for several seconds. After surgery I felt the same pain. I was sent to a nerve doctor who pricked my skin with needles that had electricity testing all the nerves in my leg. He told me he couldn't test my femoral cutaneous nerve. He said I was over weight and it tends to be normal. I then went to see Dr.Scott Bertrand in Greensboro NC a anesthesiologist. The doctor said he would start giving me a nerve block to the femoral cutaneous nerve. The nerve blocks have helped extremely cutting out that horrific pain. I have got these nerve blocks one a month but it has helped. The doctor said the last option would be surgery to my leg to remove this damaged nerve. But all you all describe is to the exact pain and description I have felt. I hope this will help you all out.
Am
Am with the rest of you had my first experience tonight, and am terrified it can happen again.  Am in late 60's and have had occasional cramps but never anything like this.   Last two days have been working a show, in cold conditions and been on my feet most of the time between 8 and ten hours.  Drank little while on duty.  Finally left for home tonight, had to drive 2 1/2hrs in car.  Got home husband came out to help me unload luggage, went to get out of car and immediately started to scream pain was so excruciating in upper inner thigh close to groin.  Pain was so extreme could not even stand up had to stay in crouched position like I was still driving as if I tried to straighten up it got even worse if that is possible.  Took about five minutes to stop had to crawl into house crouched over.  Pain finally stopped went to bed as it was past eleven, woke up hour later with same excruciating pain, again could not straighten up cried and screamed, woke my husband and told him to call 911 as I was sure I was having blood clot.  Thankfully while he was trying to wake up grabbed my ipad and looked for symptoms for severe inner thigh pain and found this group.  Glad to know I'm not dying just yet, but after pain for while there thought I was. Thank you all for posting and all your suggestions.  I hope trying some of your suggestions with magnesium etc. I can get on right track.  The fear of this happening again is terrifying.
glad i found this i have been getting the exact same type of pain but sometimes on both sides of the inner thigh sometimes on one side but it's like its travelling round my body as it could get it on my knee shin arms chest ect my doctor has no answer for me as it's travelling she keeps referring to muscle pain which i've had before and this isn't muscle pain can last from seconds to minutes when it stops i'm grand i am on my feet for most of the day but it's worse when i sit. as i've developed tachycardia dr has sent off all my bloods for testing the only thing that came back iffy was my folic acid was to low to be measured so on folic supplement. prob is she cant send me to a specialist as she doesn't know which one to send me too. the thoughts of knowing i'm gonna have to deal with the pain is awful so any answers would be really helpful hard to describe how excruciating the pain is unless someone has felt it
Hello all I am so glad I have found this topic as I have been having the same problem for a almost a week,  I have shooting pains in my upper inner thigh which last for a few seconds which are frightening, after the pain has gone I have no other symptoms, there is no after effects at all,  what I don't understand is how the pain starts when I sitting down, does anyone else have the same as me? I have been told it could be trapped nerves but how can it be if your don't have any other symptoms?
I should have asked does anyone know what causes it and will it ever go away.
Hi Sooty:

I've had a similar recurrent excruciating pain in my groin, inner thigh, hip and at times radiating down to my knee. One moment I'm walking along absolutely fine and the next I'm doubled over with an intense knife like pain. Sometimes I can walk it off, sometimes I can't. I've been to many Dr's, had x-rays taken etc but it went undiagnosed, which tells me it's not a structural issue but a soft tissue or muscular/tendon issue.
After much research I discovered the ILLIOPSOAS ( ill-e-o-so-as) muscle...located deep in the lower abdomen and hip, essentially connecting our legs to our torso. This very deep muscle can become inflamed or the illiopsoas tendon that connects the hip flexors become inflamed causing that crazy sharp pain.
The good news is, you are not a hypochondriac and you do have a problem that a good sports Dr, physical therapist or Sports centered chiropractor can treat with massage, stretching, exercise and heat. Here is a link for you to read more and/ or you can search the web to learn more about problems with the Illiopsoas muscle and how to treat it! I hope this helps!
http://deeptissuechiropractic.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/undiagnosed-low-back-pain-the-illiopsoas-syndrome/
Hi Gotes

Thank you so much for commenting you don't know how much relief it has given me that I found someone who has explained this problem, I have suffered with tendonitis in my wrist many years ago and when I read the link you sent me It now makes sense as it is that type of pain. It has made me all on edge as I am waiting for the pain to strike all the time. I have no problems when I have been in work and going about my normal day , it always seem to attack when I am relaxed and not moving which is very odd. Once again thank you so much and I glad that I am not making it up as my friends look at me odd as there is no aches after the attack. A BIG THANKYOU x
Please see a nuerosurgeon.  You need an MRI, but it is your back that is causing the pain....to test this theory. When you are sitting....assuming you can sit, lean forward to find relief...if the pain subsides it's your back...probably a ruptured disc.  You don't need to have back pain to have your nerves in your back causing excruciating pain in you thigh, groin, calf, feet.  It can come and go..in your case it sounds like it never goes.  I am so sorry for what you are going through, but my husband's nuerosurgeon described to a tee what my husband will go through...and told him NO meds will help, but encouraged him to try to see if it will go away since he was reluctant to have back surgery.  In the end, doc said surgery is going to be necessary, but he can wait til he cant take the pain anymore....The surgery requires 1 night stay in the hospital then you can go home and start recovery (which can go for 3-6 mos).  Please...dont waste time with massage, chiropractors, orthopaedics, vitamin B....these might help others that do not have what you have, but they wont help you....Please find a GOOD nuerosurgeon.  I asked my friends who are nurses...they know the best doctors.  Good luck.  Saying a prayer for limpalot.
Thank you Abossyrn. First time I've been back here since that night, so just seen your response.  I mentioned ot the doctor, I think she thought I was exaggerating.  Nothing came of it.  I've googled your response and it makes sense. Will be making an appt with doctor to discuss, because i don't want to have to experience that again and if you're right welll.......
Thanks so much!
Had an episode last night, inner left thigh.  Worst one ever.  Small pangs today, but dealing easily with that compared to last night.  Have had these before, sometimes on the edge of my face (cheekbone, back toward ear) and have had in thighs before but last nights was the worst.  I sleep very well but not last night.  It woke me up it hurt so much. Today, now it is sensitive and sore, no redness or bruising either.  Good to know I am not alone but frustrating to see there seems to be no real answer or diagnosis.  I applied a rice sock (homemade heat pad) and it was soothing but if I removed it, it would hit me like a lightening bolt.  This, to me, feels nothing like a muscle cramp.  As like most everyone else, I was concerned about clots but I feel comfortable saying that it does not seem to be the case.  Some of you have written exactly my experience, to a tee.  Crazy, which is how I was feeling until now.
I have had this kind of deep thigh pain about once or twice a year for about 6 years. As everyone agrees, it is scary and the most painful thing ever, and in my case, as with a few other posts I've seen here, strange that the incidents are so few and far between.  I haven't found anything online that sounds exactly like the symptoms I have, nor a doctor that can diagnose it. (My particular symptoms do not match those of DPT or arterial clots.) I am not a doctor and don't claim to have any medical knowledge on which to base my theories, only knowledge of my own body and how it responds to certain treatments, and when you have this kind of pain and the doctors are clueless, you are ready to try just about anything. The theory about this type of inner thigh pain that makes the most sense to me is that it is an impinged nerve. I have tried to follow suggestions from people who have posted to online forums, but since the incidents are not very frequent, it's hard to tell if what I am doing is actually "working."  I had some lab work done about a year ago and the doctor said I was low on Vitamin D, which some people wrote about on this forum as being a possible cause, so after I completed the doctor-prescribed regimen of Vitamin D, I have since continued to take a 1,000 IU Vitamin D tablet twice a day - every morning and every evening. I've also seen B-Complex mentioned in several posts, and although I had this in my vitamin regimen previously (included in a multi-vitamin), I've added an extra high-potency B-Complex tablet once a day.  Another thing mentioned in this forum as a possible cause is hydration - that muscles need to be well hydrated, or they can tighten up and pinch the nerves, so I have upped my water intake and try to get at least two quarts a day. Also, exercise is frequently mentioned, so besides trying to walk at least 10,000 steps a day and do plenty of  stretching exercises. I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, so getting enough exercise is imperative for many reasons. I don't know if the vitamins, water, and exercise are true influential factors, but it has now been 14 months since I last had an incident with the severe inner thigh pain - the longest time without an "attack" since they first started 6 years ago.
I too have had these attacks and have looked to the internet for advice. I really think the main cause for me was low salt in my diet. My husband had a heart attack and the Doctor wanted him on a low salt diet and since I am the cook in the family, I too have lowered my salt intake along with him for over a year now. A few months after starting on this diet is when I started having these horrible upper thigh cramps. I take vitamin B12 and vitamin D, and a multi vitamin on a regular basis, so I ruled out vitamin deficiency.I also do not have back issues and am fairly active. My husband was a runner in high school and had these attacks that sounded similar and his coach had him on salt pills. As soon as I upped my salt intake again I haven't had one single episode, and it's been a few months.
I had these shooting pains for over 2 1/2 years and tried LYRICA 150 mg daily, did not really help except make feel drowsy etc, it was brutal while it lasted.

About 2 months ago, I experienced over 1000 stabbing pains over a period of 4.5 hours. Then it stopped, and it has been that way since then- NO PAIN.

Had tried Acupuncture, Chiropractor, Pain clinic , with needles in the thigh , nothing really helped. It was diagnosed as Ilio Inguinal nerve pain, wonder if that was even it.
Did you ever find anything to stop this inner thigh pain. Like you I went to doctor and they said low b12 and I take injections once a week but I still get those pains.  Never know when it will happen but terrifies me.  Cause it the pain is so intense and never know when it will happen.   It happens to me most the time in middle of the night.  Sometimes after sitting on couch and I go to stand.   I have read a lots of post but no one has posted a cure. Have you ever found anything to stop it from happening
The pain I experience is usually in my right inner thigh.It started around 6 months back.  The pain is a slicing excruciating pain that is horrible but it used to be for 5-6 seconds and after subsiding no aftereffects remains.Of late the duration and frequency has increased.It now occurs almost every 2nd day.I am 55 and have been a diabetic type-II for the last 15 years.My both parents were also diabetic type -II .  It feels like someone is stabbing from within.

I am 5'8" and weigh 155 lbs.  I exercise frequently(walking 5-6 km daily) and am in good health. The medication I take is Amiryl-2,voglivose,zita-100,pioz-7.5 and Gluconorm 1gm.In short lot of metmorfin.

Does heavy intake of metmorfin result in vitamin defficiency? Can this pain be attributed to vitamin deficiency? Shall be grateful for guidance.
WELL!!!!  I have read hundreds of testimonies and no sure remedies.  I am going to a Cardiologist right now for venous reflux.  I have also been told it may be to lactic acid build up in the muscle.  My episodes seem to follow an intense sweating session.  Either gardening, exercise or just over heating. And always at night while I am sleeping.  It is frighting that no one.....even the medical field    seems to know what causes this horrific pain.  I do have migraines and this pain does not even compare to that pain at all.
Viewing 201-291 comments: