Sharp pain inner thighs
The pain I experience is usually in my left inner thigh but last week it was in both of my inner thighs.  The pain is a slicing excruciating pain that is horrible.   I have had three children so I know what pain is, but this is horrible pain.  It feels like someone is stabbing me.

It doesn't happen very often and I have experienced this pain for the past several years.   I am 58 years old, I am 5'8" and weigh 165 lbs.  I exercise frequently and am in good health. The only medication I take is celebrex for arthritus, estratest, and synthoid.  

I have been to a back doctor, a neurologist and no one seems to be able to find the cause.  Every time it happens it scares me to death.  There is absolutely no pain or soreness after the pain ceases.  It usually doesn't last over 5 minutes.  But five minutes of horrible pain is enough!

Any ideas?  Any remedies?  Help!  Nelllie
Have anyone imaged (MRI) your back?  I would get another neuro opinion.  Quix
I just recently began to experience similar pain in my right inner mid thigh area - it almost makes me want to sit down the pain is so severe.

I have not seen my MD about it yet due to Xmas and all  - my first episode was last week and have had two more episodes since.

I keep thinking the worst ie: heart and/or cholesterol related.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

***@****

I just saw your posting of May 2007 and the description matches what I have been experiencing. Excruciating sudden pain in the inner thigh - sometimes one, sometimes both - as if someone were burying a burning hot knife in my thigh. An MRI showed a listhesis (sliding vertebra) which may be related. I thought it was over because of back exercises I have been doing, but this afternoon it happened again - and it was awful. I had my babies without pain medication - and this is much worse! It only last 5 minutes or so, but all I can do is hold on to the furniture and scream. So - I was wondering whether you have found out anything in the 2 years since the posting. Of course, information from anyone else would be welcome, too!
Direct Email: ***@****
Thanks - Susan
I have experienced what sounds like the same thing you have had. It has happened several times within the last year. If you want to rate the pain from 1 to 10, it is a 13! It is always in the upper thigh. It is hard to describe other than beyond excruciating. It feels like someone hooked me up to something like an electric chair, but it only went through my entire thigh, not my whole body. It lasted about 5 minutes. The first time it happened about a year ago and I had X-rays that showed nothing. The last time it happened, it woke me up about 3 a.m. and I laid there and just wanted to scream for about 5 minutes. I put a heating pad on it and it subsided. Then a couple hours later, the same thing happened again. Then it happened the third time and that was the last episode. My doctor is clueless and thought it might be some kind of neuropathy (I have diabetes) but thought it odd because it normally would be in the feet and go up from there in to the calf of your leg, not the thigh. There is something to this if it's happening to others who describe it the way I feel.
Hi.  for the past 2 days I have been experiencing the same thing. It is exactly like a red hot knife being plunged into my upper inner thigh. And yet, once it stops, there is no pain in the leg or muscle or anything. Also it feels not like a muscle pain, but only skin deep, despite the extremeness of the pain. Someone suggested to me that a pinched nerve can cause this- the nerve being pinched by tight clothing. So, I have, today, worn the loosest pants that I own and so far so good. I hope your thigh pain has ceased. and I hope this will end my thigh pain. I just got a new job and cannot afford to loose it... Let me know if or how you resolved your leg pain.
I started experiencing this pain last night. Let me just agree about the level of pain first off. Before reading this I was describing the pain as a stab to the inner thigh by a really sharp pencil. What is most odd is its tendency to come and go so quickly. One second your thigh feels likes its being torn open and the next it feels 100%. Not irritated, sore, nothing. Hope it goes away!
I'm a 70-year-old male, 5'9" 160 lbs. in perfect health.  I could probably run a mile (I've never been a "jogger") or more if I had to.  Every couple days -- especially when I make a sudden turn -- I get a sharp, sudden pain and a feeling of extreme weakeness in my right upper, inner thigh, exactly at the "crotch" line.  If I sit down or stand motionless, the pain disappears in a minute or so -- until the next "strike," sometimes days or weeks later, although the strikes are more frequent than they were a year ago.

It doesn't matter at all whether I've been sitting for long periods, or standing, doing physical labor for hours, or even walking for miles.  The attacks just seem to happen randlomly, without warning and without discernible reasons.

My worry is that if I were running for some reason, or just walking at a fast pace -- normal for me -- the weakness in the groin area would cause me to fall suddenly, possibly injuring my hip.

I haven't seen any docs about this because it would probably entail endless, very expensive tests, with a possible "no diagnosis" or "ambiguous, multi-opinioned diagnosis."

Anyone out there with a clue ... especially about the feeling of extreme weakness when it happens?

I have pain in my inner left thigh that I would describe as a lightening bolt.  I have attributed it to a bad disk at L4-L5 because I had 2 partial diskectomies in that area  in 2001  But I guess anatomically I don't know if a bad disk would cause intermittent inner thigh pain like this.   This pain  is more annoying than anything and has caused me to not lift as much weight as I do at body pump.  I am 5 feet 3 and weigh 110 and work out 5 days a week.  Any suggestions?  Thanks  Mary
All sound like my issue... but where is someone to answer.  Mentioned it to my doctor and he didn't know... he is not my dr anymore.  Waiting for an answer...
It could either be post herpetic neuralgia from shingles or neuralgia from interstitial cystitis, an inflammatory disease of the bladder. Both can cause nerve pain in the thighs. I actually have both of those conditions and the pain can be extremely excruciating. I was given Neurontin which makes me depressed. Lyrica worked good but my insurance will only approve the neurontin. It makes me feel so low I would rather deal with the pain. Another thing to check into is fibromyalgia. It's hard to diagnose but actually very common. Good luck to everyone!
the first morning i woke up i found that my left inner thigh was sore like a bruise. then the next morning i woke up to find that my entire left inner leg was in sharp shooting pain. it had somehow spread overnight. its been two days and its still not getting any better. i keep limping and i cant extend my leg at all. i dont know what it could be. i went to an acupuncturist and they stabbed me with some needles and it did feel a lot better and i could walk again...but a few hours later the pain is back.
I can't believe it!!  I'm so glad I found you all.  I have the exact same thing!  Severe - actually, excruciating pain down the inside of my thigh.  Lasts 5 minutes where I can't stand, straighten my leg, I sweat, panic, and can't seem to do anything to relieve it at all.  Embarrassingly - it happened to me at a dinner party!  Everyone panicked - no one could do anything!   Then just as suddenly as it comes, it goes!   And no residual pain!  How can so many people suffer from the same thing - and no one seems to know what it is.  I've spoken to my Chiropractor and Doctor and they have no clue - sciatic nerve they think.  But looking that up, it doesn't seem right.   Has anyone found out what it is since the first post?  Every hopeful!!!
wow, I'm so glad I found this.  I have had this pain off and on for over 10 years.  Its been a couple of years...it's back.  I will be totally fine..sleeping, watching TV, at work..and bang.  It's like a ice pick into my upper inner thigh..almost to the pantie line.  I have to hold on to something the pain is so bad.  It doesn't last more than 30 seconds..it hurts so bad that I shake for several mins after.   Today there has been the addition of a less sharp pain in my heel on the same side..right side, at the same time.   I have a chronic neck issue and lower back weakness.  I weight 160 5'8" ...I work out about 3 days a week, run/ walk, weights, yoga...doctors don't seem to know what it is...  Would sure like to get an answer..
Same thing here. Actually just went to an orthopedic dr. this morning. He took x-rays and thought it could be related to the hip but bones look good. Now he wants to do an mri and is looking for a arterial aneurysm or cyst in the artery. I don't know if I want to go to the expense of this as I have a feeling that he will still not know what it is. 90% of the time I get the pain which is about 4 inches above my knee on the inside of the thigh at night and it is very painful and long lasting. During the day I have times when it feels like someone has driven a knife in me but it only lasts a few seconds. I have a spot where you can press and it hurts alot but otherwise it doesn't affect my daily life. I am very athletic and have not stopped doing anything but this is really affecting my sleep. If anyone learns anything, please post.
I had a total hip replacement exactly a week ago, and I have now had several occurrences of this same issue. The most recent, which occurred a few minutes ago was so severe that it caused me to research and find this thread. I am hoping that mine is due to the surgery and some of the extreme things they do with the hip in the OR. I just had a physical therapist visit and about 10 minutes after he left I got the sharp stabbing pain on the inner thigh. There was no warning, like a cramp, but instead a sharp grabbing pain. I was really worried it might be a blood clot, but I'm thinking probably not.
I'm a 55 year old man and recently have also suffered identical symtoms as all the above. Anyone with more info??????????? Thank you
It's comforting to know others are experiencing what I am. It started about 6 months ago, possibly after a fall. The sharp stabbing pain is at the top of my thigh at the panty line towards my inner thigh. It happens alot when I stand up from a sitting position. The pain is sudden and I will be stooped over, half standing, half sitting, until it stops. It is excrucciating and I have cried several times. Then just as suddenly it will stop and I can move again. Sometimes I hear a clicking sound and then I can move again. I went to my chiropractor for an adjustment and he said I was only slightly out of line. The pain is still the same. I rely on Aleve almost everyday so I can be active. I'd love to hear about the tests undergone by anybody in this forum. As soon as the holiday's are over I will be seeing my primary physician.

Thank you....
I am a 41 year old woman. reasonably fit, could probably exercise a bit more..but I don't own a car so I walk everywhere. I too am experiencing this excrutiating pain.. Like a sharp stabbing pain in the left inner thigh.. I would say it's at the centre of the fleshy area about 2 inches below the crotch area.. It's like someone has got a red hot poker and stabbed me in the thigh and twisted it.. It only lasts for a few seconds but it totally knocks me sick! If I am asleep it wakes me up and I almost scream out. I find it terrifying. I'm going to make an appointment to see my GP asap. Don't know what good it will do though from the sounds of it... Nobody has figured out what it is yet. Thanks to everyone who has posted on here though as it's good to know I am not alone..
I am so happy to have googled this and be able to read similar pain.  Weirdly enough, I was on my way to play tennis.  I was getting out of my car and received this most excruciating pain in my left thigh. (never had this before)  After about 3 minutes it subsided and I did go and play tennis BUT  it is still sore where the phantom stab wound would be. I am so afraid that it will reoccur.  I wish I knew what caused it so I can avoid that.  Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.  It does help to know that you are not alone.
It's 5:30 a.m. Right these past few hours I have been kept awake by a similar pain on my left inner thigh near the knee.  It feels like someone is plunging a sharp needle on the same spot every few seconds.  Then it disappears & comes back again a few minutes later.  The pain does not feel like it's deep in the muscles but only feels like it's skin-deep.  When it disappears I'm perfectly normal but when it hits, it's excruciating that I'm kept awake.  The pain is alleviated when I press on the spot with my fingers while the stabbing pain is happening.  So if the pain comes comes in short bursts, I press on to the spot with my hands & the pain is somewhat relieved.  When I'm walking & the pain hits, I actually have to bend over & let out a little yelp.

When I mentioned it to my doctor (who is a cardiologist / internist), he seemed clueless & gave a puzzled look as if I'm the only one who has complained to him about this kind of pain.  Since the painful episode comes & goes only every few weeks or months even, it's difficult to pinpoint the cause.  

I have been having these painful episodes for about 3-4 years now. I have observed that it has happened a few times when I lacked sleep so it may be neurologically related.

I may have to see a neurologist after reading all the helpful comments above. I'm so glad I'm not the only one having this strange pain, after googling the symptoms & discovering this site.
I have had this pain for several weeks. It feels like a sore muscle with stabbing pain. I am 40 years old and female in good health (I thought!!! hahaha) I have bad lower back pain and right hip pain for years....the inner thigh pain is also on my right side. Interestingly, my hip pain has improved since the new inner thigh pain. I have bone deterioration in my left foot and slight scolisis which makes me walk crooked....my foot doc said that I am not aligned. After reading everyone's posts and evaluated my issues, I am going to take a guess that this inner thigh pain has something to do with the hip/lower back.  I think an MRI would help show if anything is going on....perhaps starting with an Xray. If something is really screwed up, an Xray often can tell, as was the case with my neck. Gee, thanks Dad for your wondeful genes! Good luck all!
I have experienced the same pain in my inner thigh and yes, it feels like someone is putting a hot knife in my thigh.  It last under 5 minutes and always in the middle of the night.  I also have had some hip soreness in recent months.  I'm 50 years old and have been a dancer for many years, so I'm wondering if this has something to do with it.  I have not gone to the doctor yet and was wondering if a chiropractor would be of any help.  Any thoughts?
I have the same symptoms that you are all describing.  I went through a myriad of test: X-Ray of my back & spine, ultrasound of my pelvis and abdomen, a C-Scan of my abdomen with dye.  The good news is that they found a small sports injury hernia in my left inguinal area.  The most concise procedure was the ultrasound.  You could see the ripped wall on the screen. The doctor said that this could definitely be the cause of my intermittent ice pick pain because of the location of the hernia pressing on my femoral nerve.  I am scheduled to have it repaired this week. I will be praying that all of you find a cure to your pain.  I know how debilitating it can be.
I think you’ll find this interesting:  
I’m 58, male, 5:11; 200#.  About 4 mo. ago I got awakened by our mutual friend; writhing pain in both inner thighs for about 10 min.  I’m an engineer, not a doctor so take all this with due caution.  After studying the nerve diagram and anatomy charts, I think it’s a form of sciatica, an irritation of the nerves in the lower back. Usually sciatica hurts your rump and the back of your legs, but other nerve bundles in your back connect to your inner thigh (and other places)  My guess is that some irritation – possibly arthritic- in the lumbar region is setting off spasms in the back but we feel the attacks in our legs. Rubbing the place where it hurts really doesn’t do much to help.   I’ve had only one attack but I began to have chronic low level pain during the day. Let me jump to a side story: For a yr or more my wife often couldn't sleep through the night due to pain in her back (not legs).  (we’ve invested in ever more expensive bedding to no avail)   A month ago an internet search found a suggestion of “Evening Primrose Oil” (no I don’t own stock).  It was cheap, low risk, and natural so I got her some.  Since that day she has never been awakened ( she took 1000 mg a day for several weeks and has since quit in keeping with my result as detailed below ).  After decided my issue may be back inflammation related, like hers, I took one – That’s one – 1000 mg tablet.  In 1.5 hrs my inner thigh pain was gone.  AND as a side benefit, so was the “heal spur" pain (plantar fasciitis) I've had for a couple of yrs!! I determined to prove to myself that it was the EPO so I didn’t take any more, waiting for the pain to come back so I could repeat the experiment.  I’m sorry to disappoint but the chronic pain has not come back in 2 weeks!  Now, two things 1) My heel spur pain did come back in about 36 hrs and built to hurt pretty bad at about 5 days (seemed more than before), since then that has backed off to “normal”.  2) I have had a few twinges of pain in my inner thigh (moves around a bit)  but hasn’t been much.  I figure it will be back sooner or later.   I feel like a snake oil salesman but my 58 yr stiffness was noticeably less during the 24 to 48hr time frame.  ( I admit this could be psychosomatic but I don’t think so).  Maybe some of you ladies are grinning because EPO is labeled “for women’s health”  I guess I won’t have “cramps” for a while :- )   Please come back here and post if you found it did, or didn’t help.  
I am relieved to know many people have these same problems as I do. I have been experiencing this sharp pinching pain in my "panty line" and inner right thigh. It comes and goes out of nowhere. It often happens when I stand from a seated position. The pain is awful. I have gotten this pain and almost well over from the crippling pain. I was told by many people that it could be caused from my back which i have problems with as well. I am thinking about seeing a chiropractor to see if that helps.
For the past 6 weeks I have been experiencing the very same symptoms as many others.  I am 39 and I am in resonable health, working out regularly and watching my diet for the most part.  This very sudden pain comes on very quickly.  It's like a hot poker of electricity that lasts between 15-30 seconds in my left thigh 2-3 inched from the groin.  During this time I can only pray that it will subside.  I first started feeling the pain after a long drive to a holiday vacation so I put the reason to not moving much.  I bought some asprin because I thought it could possibly be a clot or something.  Within a few days it went away.  It returned 5 weeks later and is now more frequent and has woken me up in the night when I move.  I am taking 1 asprin a day which dosn't seem to help much but I will be making an appointment with my doctor.  It seems odd that there is no diagnosis for what seems to be affecting so many people.  Hang  in there, somewhere there is an answer.  For now I am going to try EFT Emotional Freedom Technique which is an effective way to unblock the meridians in the body.  Check it out.
I'm a 44 year old man in good health.  I have been getting the same pain in my right thigh for about a year.  Mine is short like an electric shock.  It usually starts with a mild shock followed a couple seconds later by a larger jolt.  Mine is also excruciating, but only lasts for a second or so.  I have been having about 10 episodes a day recently, but my symptoms will wane for a about a month only to return.  My pain occurs randomly (walking, standing, sitting).

I have been using an inversion table to help relieve a couple pinched nerves that I get in my upper back and neck.  I had hoped that it would end this as well, but after 2 months it hasn't really changed it.  I strongly suspect that mine is some kind of nerve pain but I also worry that it may be a clot or even bone cancer.  My doctor has been at a loss as well, so I'll be checking in here.
Wow, it really is a relief to find this string of comments about this subject. I am female, 40 and 5'6 and very healthy all my life (occasional cravings) but overall healthy. Never took presciptions for HBP or cholesterol, only for allergies. Ive been having these pains for as long as I can remember. I told my pediatrician about the stabbing pain first. It began in my thigh. I cant even remmeber all the spots because its been sooo long. I got the stabbing, what I call, the spinal fluid needle pain under my right arm near my armpit, back of my left thigh, right inner and behind, groin crease, right ribs near breast, etc... Ive decided I need to keep a journal of my findings so I can examine them more closely.

Ive have never been a avid pain pill popper so I usually ride out headaches unless its a migraine and then Ill take 2 Aleve or Im downing 10 different vitamins a day.  I have done the xrays, blood tests, evaluated sinus, allergies, blood, etc... To no avail. I dont even care about it anymore except when it hits, Im sceaming bloody murder while I press hard with my thumb down on the ice pick stab and I look like I have Tourettes syndrome. Usually last half the day, 10-20 min rest intervals. Repeat again a month later or maybe 2. There isnt a real pattern. Standing, sitting, sleeping, bathing, it really doesnt matter. My husband is constantly thinking I need professional medical help but Ive given up. No one knows what the heck it is when you tell them. They run a couple of tests and then, they just stop asking about it because they cant figure it out.

So, this is weird. I got some infection from swimming in a river and getting numerous minor scratches (Im guessing) and my Lymph Nodes on my neck swelled up. The syptoms were night sweats, fever, inflammed nodes leads to small throat and sore throat. Anyway, the night sweats were BAD for 2 nights but the associated flu type pains were those ice pick pains in all the areas I had mentioned I got them in the past. PURE AGONY!  Didnt have anything crazy in my medicine cabinet for pain but I found Advil that my daughter uses for cramps. I popped 3 and the pain went away until the pills ran out of their effect and I knew when because that friendly ice pick would come down and go to town. After 5 days of Advil/Ibuprofen I weened off it. But I wonder, would something so simple like advil stop the pain when the next episode comes sans the lymph nodes? I mean, I take 2 Aleve at the starry onset of my migraines and that helps alot. I know its no explanation to the phantom pain that has no premise but atleast I can stop being the doubled over crazy lady silently screaming obscenities through clenched teeth.
Know what Im saying?  

Sincerely,
Lifetime of stabbing
I am very relieved to see all the posts here!!  I thought i was crazy!!  Every once in a while I will get a pain that I would describe as an ice pick being stabbed into the back of my left thigh.  It is exactly in the middle of my thigh.  The wierd thing is, this pain shoots like a bolt up my body to my head!  I don't feel it anywhere but in my thigh and head.  They kind of throb together.  I scares me to death.  Unfortunatley, I do not have health ins.  I kind of grin and bear it.  Does anyone else get head throbbing too?
I forgot to let anyone else know that I have no known health issues.  I am in great health and very active.  I am only 27 years old.  I excercise regularly and eat reasonably.  Anyone with results please leave a post!!
I am SO happy to have found this topic here! I thought the inner thigh pain was just something weird with MY body. I first experienced the pain after having my daughter 2 1/2 years ago (by c-section). I remember holding her as I walked across the room, praying the pain wouldn't strike until I got her to her crib, for fear of stumbling or something from the pain. The pain is in the right inner thigh, beginning just above the panty line. It usually hits while walking or turning. It lasts about 10 seconds and I have to grab onto something or I'd drop to the floor! I cry out and it scares my son. There is some minor residual pain after the strike; it seems to be a reminder of what can come later. I'm seeing my OB/GYN next week and will mention it to him. For now, I just deal with it. I don't take any pain meds for it, as I never know when the pain will strike. It feels like a lightning bolt.
Did you test for herpes before?
Im 33 yrs old, single, with normal body weight, all posted comment are really describing what ive been experiencing right now.  Im taking my 2 days off because my doctor diagnose me with muscle spasm but she is not quite sure about it. Ive done xray but it turns out to be ok.  My nephew called me crazy because when walk i would suddenly shout with bad words coming out of my mouth.  I cant help it, its very painful and sudden.  I maybe having trauma walking.  It started last week while am sleeping when this cramp attacked me waked me up in the middle of the night.  the next morning i though that that was just simply cramps but when me and my brother are about to walk where our car park, i just suddenly stop because i cant bare the pain in my right leg.  but still i went to work that day and the next 4 days not until this last 2 days that the pain went back and this time more often.
I don't have the type of pain recently discussed. Mine is a sharp pain that lasts about a minute and feels like it could be a blood clot having trouble getting through an artery. It only occurs once in awhile and usually at night. The pain is around 2-3 inches arove my knee. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
My pain is located halfway down my inner thigh (about halfway towards the front).  I thought I might have passed a clot down to my calf the other day as my pain had subsided but I had developed a moderate cramp in my calf.  The cramp was unusual for me and lasted about 8 hours.  There is a small varicose vein at the center of the cramp but it may have already been there.

Since then my pain has been less intense but more frequent now.  I'm going to see a cardiologist on Tuesday to see what they think.
Hello all of you sufferers of excruciating inner thigh pain.  I'm pleased to say that there is help for you.  I'm a Doctor of Acupuncture and East Asian medicine and this pain that you are experiencing is very understandable and easily treated and eliminated in the vast majority of people treated with acupuncture.  Under the care of a good acupuncturist you will feel very comfortable and relaxed while your pain is being treated.  Acupuncture not only reduces inflammation but also improves micro-circulation and allows the body to re-set itself.  In cases of pain without pathology (especially) acupuncture should be a first line treatment recommendation, and it is gaining recognition by western physicians.  Know, however, the difference between a licensed acupuncturist who has several thousand hours of extensive study and practice, and the western MD/acupuncturist who took a 300 hour course.  Good luck, if I could treat you all I would and you would be relieved. Please take my advice and find a GOOD acupuncturist, you won't be sorry.  In good health.
Well since I posted last there has been almost no pain in my thigh (or calf).  My cardiologist said that it could be a clot or a problem with the valves in my leg veins (said this may be hereditary and common post pregnancy, not me).  They scheduled me for an ultrasound of my right leg (one with the pain) and found no evidence of clots or valve trouble.

That's all good but I still don't know if my pain is resolved.  It has disappeared for weeks at a time before so I'll wait and see.  If my stretching doesn't keep it away, I may try my old chiropractor or even that acupuncture idea.
I'm glad I found this thread, but not glad to hear others are suffering like me. I'm male, 54, 6' 285 lbs. don't exercise and sit in front of the computer all day (graphic designer). I've been suffering from this incredible pain for about four years now. Feels as if someone shot a stun-gun into my right upper / inner thigh and then also took a knife, plunged it in and started to twist it. The pain level is, like someone said, a 13 on a scale from 1 to 10. I writhe in agony when it happens anywhere from 2 seconds to five minutes. I've been to the ER four times so far with this problem, Morphine didn't even deaden the pain when it happened. I take 1800 mg of Neurotin a day,  Meloxican (anti-inflammatory), muscle relaxers (at times) and Hydrocodone. I've had chronic back pain my whole life, I'm now being treated for various bulging discs in my back and have had two nerve blocks (one just a week ago). Guess what, I still suffer from it. I just had an episode 15 min. ago. I feel like a  lab rat, I'm depressed and sometimes I think that death would be better than this. Now I know that was a bold, maybe over the top, stupid thing to say, I really don't think I would do that, but when the pain is happening, and it won't stop, I have those thoughts. I pray to God for help, I don't know what to do. My neurologist is useless, after three years she finally said that the pain doesn't seem to go hand in hand with my pinched nerves etc. and just shrugged her shoulders, didn't even refer me to someone else, finally my primary care physician sent me to pain management. I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one suffering like this, but I'm sad that you all have to go through this torture too. My daughter wants me to go see an acupuncturist, I'm calling them tomorrow.

Peace.
I am sitting here at 2am having been woken by the same intense pain which appears suddenly and departs just as quickly, after shredding me for about 5 mins. I m 72 years old and have had a complete hip replacement 3 years ago. After walking round for a few minutes, after the desperate time when trying to straighten my leg and get out of the pain, it has gone completely. I took 2 long flights in the last 3 weeks and was thinking I may have a blood clot and am so relieved to read other stories just like mine but sorry that you also suffer.
I will try the Evening Primrose Oil and maybe some acapuncture, anything to stop this horrible pain. It affects so much as I fear to book seats at the cinema, theatre, on transport. If I lept around screaming in pain I am sure they would alert medical emergency and by the time they came it would be gone and I would look a fool.
I welcome any advise.
Have you found out the source of that pain yet?  I have had this for awhile with only short term relief.  I even had a spinal fusion and laminectomy.  This relieved the pain for about 5 months but it is now back.  I am about to give up on life.  I can't imagine living with this type pain for the rest of my life.
Hi, Sorry to hear you are also suffering. The pain is so extreme but I have my plan of action for the next "strike". Stand up quickly, make legs straighten and lean forward. The pain is bad but I am not half so worried now as I thought it might be a blood clot which could kill me. At least it only lasts minutes, makes me feel sick and sweaty. I can cope if not in public. I was once at a party sitting on a low sofa when it struck in both legs. I remember trying to leave the room bent over and looking like a crab, hoping no one was watching. I stood outside the room until the spasm was over and felt really ill and then vamoosh, it was gone. I returned just muttering "Sorry, I had cramp". It does seem to depend on sitting or lying position and I feel it is maybe just a nerve thing.
Yes, the pain is extreme although I don't think as bad as childbirth as someone said. It feels like a ripping and tearing in the leg and not in one's private places. It last for a short time and then I am OK>
If we can find the cause it would br brilliant. Mu husband has suffered with cancer for 10 years and still wants to live. When I say suffer I mean really suffer so don't talk about giving up on life because of this extreme but short lived pain.
I have been pain free for almost 2 weeks for no apparent reason.  The only difference I can come up with is that I have lost 10 pounds in the last 2 months, but I have had remissions of the pain before only to have it return.  I am 44, male, 5'10", 225 pounds.
I have never heard of any other person having this horrible pain as I do.  I describe it as electricity/lightening.  It is in my left inner thigh and the pain lasts for 5 minutes.  I cry in pain and feel like I'm loosing my mind.  Then the pain intensifies and then disappears. I lay flat on my back when I sleep with my lower legs elevated on a soft pillow and the episodes are only once a year, but I've told my doctor that if it happens more often, I would be happy to have a nerve severed.
Wow..I am not the only one with this crazy condition..yeah!!! My experience is that I will get this horrible crampish feeling in my inner right thigh and I must grab my thigh and run to the kitchen cupboard for the only  thing that helps me. I am rendered speechless with pain ... I panic ... I fumble thru the dishware to get a glass ..fill it with a few ounces of water ....then pour about 2 tablespoons of baking soda in it and mix it quickly and then slam it.I am not kidding you ..the pain subsides with in a minute or two.It must be the sodium that is helping... I can't explain how it works but it does and it is fast.

I figured out this by comparing  my sudden attacks to a condition that   my horses  have had  which is called Hypercalmic Periodic Paralysis.The lack of sodium causes  a muscle cramping that makes the horses nearly  unable to move when it strikes and the home remedy for this is baking soda and water.This sounded so similar to what I was experiencing that I decided to try it myself.Now I carry some baking soda with me at all times because it can hit you  any time ..any where.Naturally there still is no clinical answer for what is  happening to all of us but there is relief with the soda and water...it is yucky and salty tasting but who cares...when you are in that panic mode you are scared and it is the only thing that has helped me.Try  it one time...I hope works for you too.
I am a 40 yr old female and I have horrible pain in my upper inner thigh that almost brings me to tears. The pain lasts for a few seconds at a time and I will endure episodes for a few days time. I am so scared its a blood clot, but my family doc said I wouldn't be having a blood clot for months. Now its been going on for over a year and doc cant give me an answer. He sent me to a neurologist and he was also at a loss for what it could be. Anyone hear of this pain being related to cramps and menstration?
what does herpies have to do with the pain in the inner thigh?
I was diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome over a year ago and I have pain - sharp pain and my thigh bones feel like they are in a vice grip.  The bad thing is, it happens throughout the day and it lasts longer than 5 minutes. Along with this pain is severe throbbing all the way down to my ankels in both legs.  I do not know what to tell you other than I have had an MRI done on my lower back and legs and they found nothing.  Now, my upper body is starting to jerk at night when I'm almost asleep - scares the living world out of me each time.  My arms are starting to jerk and I have pain in my upper right and left arms like some stabbed them with a knife and left it there.  I sympathize with each of you as I know how you all feel.  I am calling my neurologist back next week and am requesting either an MRI or a CT Scan of my brain. None of us should have to live with this type of or as much pain.  Maybe the pain is not coming from our backs as I have been reading on other websites, maybe it is truly a neurological thing.  But I will see what he says.  God Bless you all.
I have had this same thing happining to me White Male 28 years old 5 ft 5 inches well anyway this pain is on my Outer left thigh when I wake up early in the morning like a hot ice pick is being stabbed into it then after I fall back to the bed like a min later it fades away and then threw out the day it just feels like a sore bruise but there is no mark and when I push on the area I can't really find a mid-point and at times my whole thigh feels cold or hot it's hard to tell what it is it almost feels like both I know that don't really make sence but it looks like none of it dose but I just thought it was a stiff muscle or sumthing but now I'm all worried about blood clots and what ever else is being said well thats my two pennies Peace BB
I am a 53yr old woman and have had this severe pain in my inner right thigh for over 2 yrs. I have been sent to Chiropractors, Orthopedic surgeons, Neurologists, and last year, to a 2nd Neurosurgeon. I have had 3 back surgeries which I now have a rod in my spine. Today, I was told by my Neurosurgeon that "there is nothing else I can do", maybe I should try the "Spinal cord stimulator"., yet I can't walk across a room without being in severe pain.   I am NOT having another surgery and don't know if I can take having another MRI, CAT Scan, EMG or X-RAY, with NO results. All tests come back normal.  He did put me on Gabapentin and now Lyrica. It takes the edge off, but when one episode strikes....all hell breaks loose. I can not move until my leg has finished having it's "seizure". Feels like I licked my big toe and stuck it in a socket. This is a horrible pain from my knee to my hip.  I am not CRAZY! This PAIN is REAL and I can not live with it much longer. I have no where else to turn to. I have checked the internet, emailed several specialists and no help. PLEASE....someone send me some good news.  Getting "Shocked" in NY,
I read all the comments and I'm so sorry for all that are suffering with pain. I got real concern because I started feeling a sharp pain in my inner left thigh that would last me hours, was getting so scare i was thinking of running to the ER, this is the 5th time, 2 of them very bad. I had a gradual pain in my bullocks when it started, then lead to back pain, 3 years ago, did a MRI, they told me it was a bugled disc in my L5. It hurts me all the time. When I walk it hurts and I have to sit to feel relief. When I did a second MRI a year ago, I was told my spine is okay. I did therapy 3x's, acupuncture,  2 shots in my spine, nerve test and a bone test. Everything coming out okay, which i don't understand then why am i in so much pain. Making me real unhappy all the time, now the doctor wants me is see a head doctor, saying I'm stressed.  I'm 5'3, I know I'm overweight, 226, can't do much about it cause i hurt all the time, but trying to eat better. I try to avoid salt, frozen foods, canned meats and quit drinking beer modernly 3 years ago. I do smoke, but with a husband that stressed me for 20 yrs cause of his drinking, now suffering from liver cancer and a little dog that's been getting sick on me too, it has been taking a big toll on me. I've been so depress for a while now. I hurt so much when i walk, it's taken my life away, can't go shopping, can't do a lot of things anymore. I still have to take care of them and the house hold no matter how i hurt.
    Now this inner tight pain which is like a stabbing strong aching feeling making it harder to walk and I've been feeling it in my left foot too. Feel it coming from my crotch area down my thigh, the other day My calf, my legs were bothering me, so I stared stretching my legs to see if that helped. I have arthritis now, which my mother had. I felt my right toes changing a year ago they like changed in shape, preventing me to wear certain shoes. I also have carpal tunnel in both hands. I did a lot of therapy for that too, now it's coming back, I'm all messed up and I'm only 54. I've had many hard jobs or cold apartments, I know maybe that a factor too. I asked for a neurologist doctor and now she feels it might be my sciatic nerve. The hospital I'm able to get to, are so busy they make me wait a long time for an appointment so I'm not getting the help i need making it harder still. I hear ginger root that's good for asthma and nausea (with lemon, never sugar, cause it'll ruin it) tea, is good for inflammation. lots of people I learned from the  Dr. oz show, that we are all lacking vitamin D. I have to try to keep myself clam and not stressed out, hoping to find an answer to all this soon before this everyday around the clock pain drives me really crazy. Thank god for this post, it's making sense to me it has to be the main nerve, it has to when i already did most treatments. I drink pain medicine, but it's never enough, i have to make them last for it's so hard to get. I cry all the time, I'm devastated  by all this and all that's been happening in my life now. I still wandering what exactly is causing me all this hell. Home remedies sometime are the best i guess. i hope everyone here feels better and just take care of your selves and try to keep your spirits up for it's the only way to get better. Prayer and hope is what I've been hanging on too these days and I'm on a quest to find a good doctor that can help me. lucky for all your post, it helped me a lot to in being so scare, I'm planning a walk in to see a doctor tomorrow, instead of running to the ER today. everyone, i hope you all feel better. reading is the best thing we can all do to help ourselves.
when this happens to me, i rub the area with arnica.  It's an herb based product.  It stops the cramps for the rest of the night.  if i dont use it, it happens every couple of hours.  I get it in the ointment form at the health food store.

Docs dont know why it happens.  Had an mri,showed nothing.  I'm also a diabetic

Fran
I have the same problem, sudden bolt of extreme, stabbing pain in my inner right thigh, just about 3 inches above the knee. Lasts a few seconds and then is suddenly gone with no aftereffects. So far, I've had about 6 episodes over the past year.

I tend to sit for long periods in front of my desktop computer and also do yoga and leg stretches every few days. Sometimes the pain ~seems ~ to hit a day or 2 after stretching exercises - though I'm not certain of that.

I'm curious as to whether many of you tend to cross your left leg over your right and sit like that with the right thigh constricted, or pinched. I didn't realize but tend lean forward in my chair, legs crossed for long periods of time intently reading stuff on the computer. Been paying attention to such habits and trying to figure out if there's a link. I'm making a conscious effort to stop these habits. Hopefully, it's just that.

Regarding the previous poster's use of Arnica, the thymol in its roots is a vasodilator, which means it widens blood vessels. In the wikipedia article on vasodilators, it says, that this results in: "relaxation of smooth muscle cells within the vessel walls, particularly in the large arteries, smaller arterioles and large veins..." So it might seem to do with the arteries. Perhaps small clots passing through that area?  

This is as far as I can figure, for now. It's interesting to find so many others with the same exact symptoms. Sure hope we can figure out what it is and what's causing it, exactly, and then know what to do.

I started to experience soreness in my inner left thigh and the back of my thigh. The thigh is so tender but there are no bruises on my thigh. I have seen a dr yet. I am so glad I found this website. I will you all in my prayers
Has anyone experiencing the stabbing upper thigh leg pains had Shingles?
wow this is all too close to home same breif pain, but unbearable, i am 47 female 5'6' approx 190 lbs not in good shape at all
but same pain shooting and very very painful
have had one natural child birth 13 yrs ago
breast cancer (mastectomy) in 2007
chemo and raidation
and nothing compares to this sudden horrible pain
and i thought i had seen it all
i am going to try the baking soda next time
just had one tonight and i have actually started walking to work with 'shape' ups on to avoid but still happening
hope to figure this out

my heart goes out to all
Mine started on Monday 6, 2011. It is allway in the middle of my right thigh and is incredibly painful. I almost pass out when it happens. It starts off slowly, I can feel it starting and then, within seconds I can hardly walk. Then it is gone as suddenly as it came on. I will be 40 in a few months and in excellent health otherwise. Anyone find help with this yet?
I have been suffering similar problems with the inner thigh on both legs. Starts about 2-3 inchs above inner knee up to groin.   I can be sitting watching TV with my legs resting on a footstool (legs straight out) and I can feel the pain starting (feels like a cramp but can't stretch it out).  I get up right away as the only way I can get rid of it is by walking (usually takes about 10 min before it subsides).  Last time I felt flushed and thought I was going to faint.  Very scarey.  Doctor thought it was a blood clot but ultra sound didn't show anything.  Has anyone had a diagnosis of this inner thigh pain.  My inner thigh is sore to the touch for a couple of days after just like it was bruised.  Anyone with similar symtoms?
Guys ,Found the solution !!!!  I had this pain since two months. It comes and goes and yes when ever I get this pain it is very sharp like someone poking knife in your inner thigh. I tried to isolate the issue with my day to day activities. I noticed that whenever I feel hungry it used to occur and then when I finish eating it vanishes. But then later it did not matter if I kept my tummy full or empty. Then I noticed that this could be due to Constipation, and boom that was the real issue. When ever i do not clear my intestines in the morning I get this pain, this is very common when I travel, as the day to day flow is disturbed.

To fight Constipation and Gastric problems my wife told me a simple solution. She calls it water therapy!!!. All I have to do is, when I get up in the morning, just drink 3 full glasses of water (3 works for me but depends from person to person). This gives me a little uneasy feeling, as the stomach is full. Then I sit erect on the sofa or or the floor and browse on my laptop for 15 minutes. Then boom there is a huge force and I have to go to the restroom to clear my intestines :) it is very simple and easy. Only thing is that you have to drink water till the point that u feel u cant drink any more and thats it.

I hope this works for all of you guys !!! please post if it does.
I have had two episodes whereby I am unable to straighten up, feel like passing out with sweats all over my body.  The pain is excruciating.  I have had four children and do not remember the pain as severe as these thigh cramps.  I find rubbing a heating pad on my legs helps.  I thought it might be coming from exercising as I do exercise, and quite strenously, six days per week.  My potassium and magnesium have been increased, I drink Gatorade Perform2 for the electrolytes, doing leg stretching exercises and I will try anything not to get these thigh cramps.  Also, at night sleep with a pillow between my legs so as to keep spine in line.  I thought that maybe I should not exercise as much or change my exercise routines until possibly this passes.  Any thoughts?
Glad I googled, though sounds like several different types of symptoms.

I started with real painful right calf muscle about 3 months ago.
Did Cat Scan heart to rule that out (it did).

The 3 days ago the pain on the inner right thigh started, though I do have a little swelling in the upper part of the inside thigh, a little pain at the side of the groin, and my right hip is sore.
This pain is constant, maybe a little bit of a burning feeling but is always there, more painful when I sit up, and was bad last night when I tried to sleep.
Luckily here in Australia, over the country pain relief contains codeine so it helped.

I am 52, male, fairly fit and maybe 5lbs over ideal weight.
I play golf twice a week (walk) so I do get some excersize (just not high impact).

An early post mentioned Shingles, I have heard that too in other areas.
If I find anything I will keep you posted

cheers

Jonathan

I am 5'5", 170lbs, 30 year old female in good health. I sit at a computer most of the day but I am active and I do go to the gym several times a week.

1. The surge of pain happens most frequently in my left inguinal thigh (right in the crease). Though I have had it in both at the same time. Excruciating!
2. I have had 10+ episodes over the last year.
3. I have never had children
4. I have never had back pain or any back issues
5. I did have Shingles 6 years ago when I was 24. However, the nerve it showed up in was one of my facial nerves.
6. I get a "warning" flare right before the surge. Maybe this is a spasm or something?
7. I'm also vegan (no meat or dairy) and I do not eat fast food, fried food, limit my sodium intake, no soda, etc. Basically I have a very healthy diet.
8. I too worry about blood clots or having an issue with the artery.

I can't believe there are so many of us, and zero answers. *sigh*
I joined your group today and immediately found this discussion. It has taken a lot of fear away if not the pain which occurs often today for a moment halfway up the right thigh toward the inside. Happened twice while I was reading about all the pain. A soreness remains but there is no visible indication of abnormality. If I find any activity that alleviates the situation I will post. Thanks for the possible remedies that have been suggested.
you all need to go here: http://www.somatics.com/
i've spent around $10 000 over the past year on rehab, physios, massage, acupuncture, pilates, alexander technique.. to name just a few things.... by far this website is the best. Lawrence Gold explains everything. everything.
I'm experiencing right hip pain and it feels like a bone is moving lasts about 1 minute then passes with no pain left behind only happens when laying down. I havr done a lot of research and people say it sometimes has to do with your pelvic. I have pelvic excavation but it doesn't interfere with breathing. I'm 6'5" 160lbs.
Sharp, stabbing pain inner thigh is frequently from a bad disk  (sometimes a form of sciatica or piriformis syndrome).  The nerves from the back all run down the leg.  A neurosurgeon would know from the pain location usually the precise nerve causing the problem.  My own years of experience trying to get diagnosed showed me that neurologists are not helpful, strangely, for these complaints.  The pudendal nerve is also a potential problem area with which few physicians in the USA  are familiar.  Pudendal nerve entrapment is commonly overlooked, as are many complaints made by females.  I finally got treated and had pudendal neurosurgery by Dr. Lee Ansell in Houston, TX after decades of pudendal and sciatic pain and piriformis syndrome. European docs have been doing the surgery much longer.  US docs are coming on board super-slowly.  Dr. James Campbell, Johns Hopkins neurosurgeon, also good with these problems.  My pudendal pain is gone and  everything else much reduced and physical therapy makes it bearable.  Good Luck!
very happy to have found this, i too thought it was a blood clot. i looked around and this -- http://www.pudendalhope.org/ seems to be the closest to explaining it. i am 39 and in good physical shape -- but i have not gone to yoga for two weeks now and this is when the pain started. i think its a type of nerve impingement. but that's just my guess.
Ladies, I have to join your group.  I experienced the same pain last night.  I tried walking around, and rubbing the thigh.  It didn't do any good.  The pain was definitely a 13.

Please let me know if there is help out there.
My mom use to complain about these same symptons, and unfortunately, I have them as well. My inner right thigh hurts right now and has been for a week solid. My mom was diagnosed with Mutiple Sclerosis 10 years ago. Has anyone been tested for that here? I have not because I am not financially equipped for such tests. However, I hope someone can help us all here. My pain is going to cost me my job which requires heavy lifting which makes the pain even worse.
I have sharp stabbing pain in groin.along and down thigh.It would possibly be nerve pain.As of past 7 weeks i have been thru hell.I had nerve pain go along buttocks thigh,knee,shin--like lightening.Excruciating! Later that day to hospital as such agony.diagnosed as radicular pain (similar to sciatica).I had lots of pain killers.Helped back pain but did not help other pain.Agony!
I had an MRI.Diagnosed as bulging disk/compressed nerve by l2/l3 (lumbar) and that is causing the pain.But,after many weeks of aculpuncture,physio,chiropracter-and nerve blocker (oral)---the pain of nerve has moved to stabbing pain in groin,and sometimes down thigh--more inner side of.
  I suspect all from lumbar issues.The pain now stabs at times,depending on movement.Going up stairs is hell.I recommend anyone to get an MRI done to check state of back and nerves.
But,the stabbing in groin(along pantie line kinda)/I suspect is nerve;originating from lumbar misplacement of bone cartilage and nerve.
I also suspected my condition came on in first place from cold,damp dwelling,and emotional trauma.And all things went haywire,one cold morning when i went to put my boots on.OOuuCChh!--that day after so much pain is when friends took me to hospital as my pain was leeping neighbours awake late at night.That was 7 weeks ago.

since i have been back to yoga and done hip-stretching the pain has subsided.
Yes, I myself have just been experiencing this pain in my upper right thigh for the past few days on & off. It was so intense that it woke me up in the middle of the night. Like most of you, it only lasts a few seconds. The best way I can describe it is like a sharp, shooting pain that comes in waves. It hurts worse if I have been walking or putting any weight on it. I am in basically good health. I could stand to exercise more. I have been undergoing physical therapy for muscle strain in my right shoulder. I don't know if they are related to a more serious condition. I tried elevating my legs to increase blood flow. But as soon as I moved, the pain returned. I don't know what it could be. From reading your posts, it makes me believe that going to the doctor is a waste of time. It strikes me as odd that so many people are suffering from this same symptom & they have no diagnosis for it. lame... I do suffer from charlie horses at night sometimes. Perhaps, this thigh pain is just a let cramp? Please, post if you find out anything...Thanks & I hope that everyone can find a way to relieve their pain. I know how much it *****. :(  P.S A banana a day keeps the leg pain away...
Im only 16 and i am getting this and it kills me every time this happens.. My Dr had no clue what waz happening i had x-rays done and nothing showed up. I've been to the ER several times and every doctor i see says the same thing that they have no dea or clues to why ts hurting.  just want it to go away.. ):
I recently went on a trip to Spain.  We walked for a week straight.  2 days before the end of the trip I squatted down to pick something up and a sharp (hot) pain went from my inner thigh all the way down to my foot.  It went away after a few seconds.  It has happened 4 times since then (3 days ago).  At first I thought it was because of all of the walking, but that doesn’t make sense.  I am a runner and do yoga regularly so I am in good shape.    

My boyfriend wants me to go to the doctor but I don’t want to waste time/money.  Any suggestions?
I also suffer from the same pain been three years now so many pain meds,Dr.Visits, x-rays ultrasound,Mri,CT scan on my back shows the my two discs gets inflammed thats causes my legs to hurt and feel the burning sensation, feel like my muscle in my thigh is twisting and my hip hurt when getting up, laying in bed it hurts so bad i cry myself to sleep,i lost some weight my Dr.have no clue why i hurt so bad, i wish they felt the way i do its getting hard for me to keep up with my work 11 years of housekeeping,when someone get an answer please let me know
I experienced the same exact pain in my upper inner thigh. My Doctor figured it out. He said whatever i did i disturbed a muscle/nerves in that area. He zeroed in right on the spot because my leg never hurt when i was at the Doctors office. The pain came before and after my doctor visit. He prescribed me "Voltaren Gel" that cost $20 from the pharmacy. Well that's atleast what I paid. It works! In the beginning when i started the pain would catch me off guard like a hornet sting and it is like a surface pain that is skin deep then after applying the gel it is gone. Trust me it works! It takes a few days to fully work but you won't be disappointed if you try it.
  I'm a 43 year old male who is very active and a competitive tennis player. I have been experiencing severe upper inner thigh pain on both legs but predominately the left one for a few years.
  The attacks mostly come at night when I'm sleeping and they last between 5 to 10 minutes. The pain is excruciating and I have a hard time making it go away. The attacks come without warning.
  Lately I have been applying extra strength Myoflex on the inner thighs every night before going to sleep. I think it contains a bit of aspirin as it's made by Bayer. Anyway, the cream seems to be working as I haven't had severe attacks since I started using it. I also keep a tube next to my bed so I can apply it immediately just in case an attack occurs while I'm sleeping. Also, I take a couple of ibuprofen caplets (200mg) before I go to bed on the days or evenings I play a lot of tennis or do a lot of exercise.Tonight I'm trying Robax Platinum (which also contains ibuprofen).
  None of these techniques are cures but I have found them helpful in keeping the pain away. (at least for now.)
  Hope this helps.
I have had this pain ever since hip resurfacing SIX YEARS AGO and is not getting any better. Surgeon thinks it may be a partial blockage in femoral artery but doctors think it is femoral nerve damage.  Now being sent to see vascular surgeon to find out if any partial  blockage in artery. I have been on gabapentin and amitriptyline for some years but still does not stop this pain.
Pain now so severe I am near to collapse, as you all say, this can be at any time with no warning. Happened to me once when driving, had to stop car on major road and jump out. Personnel I think the pain is femoral nerve damage as my operation took four and a half hours insted of two and a half.  will post if I get any news.

I have something called cramp911, a homeopathic pil,l which also helps subside the cramping within a few minutes, otherwise they can last over 15-20 minutes.

But my doctor told me to take a couple Magnesium vitamins a day and this has worked like magic! Apparently the magnesium relaxes the muscles ... I take two plus a couple of potassiums (cheap vitamins, nothing fancy) and those nights I get ZERO cramping plus sleep like a baby.

When I fall out of the routine, I get the most excruciating inner thigh cramping ... in both legs at once. Last night I had to get my Cramp911 (generic version from CVS) and the cramping stopping after only 5 minutes after I took it ... otherwise it can last almost 30 minutes.

I do drink lots of water so I could be depleting my minerals, but when I don't drink water I also get them, so I am not exactly sure why. All I know is that magnesium really works for me.  Hope this might help someone else too.
     Yes, it happened in my right inner thigh.  I stopped taking B/P medication, decreased my salt substitute (100% potassium), took just a sprinkle of real salt, and started taking a multivitamin with minerals.

Today, I felt it coming, but it did not come all the way; I just felt a tightning.

I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with my electrolytes being off balanced.  I walk and drink a lot of liquids.  I think I need to take in just a sprinkle of real salt, and not so much potassium.

Yes, my multivitamin has magnesium, 600 mcg (30% daily value).

In the past, it felt as if my leg was having a seizure, I had no control over it.

I do know that certain medications, such as blood pressure meds, can deplete the body of electrolytes and salt substitutes are loaded with potassium.  

Now, I am trying to eat healthy, and not use so much medication.  

The tightness is still present as I type this post, but no pain so far.  I hope it will just relax and go away.

Maybe this info. will help, it helped me.

Causes of Inner Thigh Leg Cramps

By Veronica Davis, eHow Contributor

Print this article

The inner thighs, usually referred to as hamstrings, are often affected by muscle cramps. These are the involuntary contraction of muscles which may take some time before the muscles relax.

Main Cause

Normal function of hamstrings allows it to contract and relax, but if not given enough stretching or if the muscles are fatigued, it will bring about muscle cramps.

Other Causes

Muscle cramps in the hamstring could also be due to lack of nutrients, dehydration or over exertion of force in this area of the leg, particularly during exercise.

Treatment

If you experience muscle cramps in your inner thighs, all you need to do is stretch your legs. You may also apply hot compress especially if the hamstrings feel very tight.

Hamstring Exercise

There is also an exercise to treat inner thigh cramps. All you need to do is place the "cramped" leg at the back of the other leg, ankles close to each other. Push hard, with pressure going forward.

Prevention

Oftentimes, you only need to drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated, thereby preventing muscle cramps in the inner thigh area. You should also stretch your hamstrings before engaging in any form of strenuous physical activity.

Warning

Although it may not be necessary to see a doctor, it would be advisable to do so if muscle cramps in the inner thigh area become severe and painful, and do not respond to treatment.

.

Read more: Causes of Inner Thigh Leg Cramps | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5035697_causes-inner-thigh-leg-cramps.html#ixzz1X1LXzIZm
My 88 year old mother has this pain and she call me up screaming in the middle of the night. I have asked the doctor and he said it may be a lack of potasium.  Has any one tried TONIC WATER. That is what I give my mom for the pain and it seems to help, it is the quinine in the tonic water that helps cramps. Thay used to prescribe it to her, but they don prescribe quinine pills anymore. I figured Tonic water had quanine in it and I tried it and it seems to help.

They do sell cramp pill and they do have quanine in them, they are over the counter.

Hope it helps.
Louise
I have a pain in my upper inner right thigh it's numbness and my skin hurt to the touch I do have Sciatica, but I never felt this kind of pain before. Anyone who can help please do I have no Insurance so I do want to go to a doctor unless neccessary.
I don't know if my experiences will help anyone or not, but thought I should share just in case they would. For a few years I had isolated incidents of the inner thigh pain.  It turns out to be somehow related to dehydration and potassium depletion.  The first time it happened I was fighting to stay conscious and thought I was having a stroke.  Went to the ER, was told I was dehydrated and had a lowered potassium level.  Since then, I've just had the cramps, and now that I've tried to be careful in the situations where I seemed to get it before--staying very well-hydrated, especially if missing a lot of sleep or staying up all night--I haven't had any in a very long time.  Hope this helps someone.
Hi everyone,

My mom has the same kind of pain. When the pain occurs all of a sudden, she says it is so painful that she will lose the support and control of the leg. Now she is undergoing blood tests and imagings. So far nothing unusual. She is going to see a neurologist, but I am not hopeful he/she will figure it out.

I am just wondering if any of you have high or relatively high blood uric acid levels. My mom does have consistently high blood uric acid level (~7 mg/dL, or 400umol/L). Uric acid can form crystals in the joints and cause unexplained pain. Of course people with really high blood uric acid level will probably develop kidney stones, which is painful but easier to diagnose.
I started the EPO today, hopefully this will help me, I have been dealing with this horrid pain for 2 weeks or more and trying to work with it is a real task. I will stay posted to let you know what happens
finally, others who have to deal with this! I've been dealing with the sharp inner thighpain coming and going almost daily for over a month. Last Friday is started to spread, and the whole thigh had an intermittent shooting pain. Today was the worst, as it shot right to my knees and as I am typing my knees and shin are still hurting, my thigh is okay as I am resting on it. I'm sure it is nerve damage in my back and I aggravated it zigging or zagging earlier today. But what do i do to keep this from flaring up again?!??! I'm active (female, 41, average height and weight) - and hiking season is upon us, I do not want to take prescription pain meds on a regular basis but the OTC stuff does nothing for the pain. Anyhow, nice to find a community that understands, and glad I wasn't overreacting to the pain - having never gone through natural childbirth myself it's good to see that others who have say this pain is worse. I've broken bones and can say this pain hurts more.
Hi there,
I too was relieved when I found this blog site. I suffered intermitantly for several years but haven't had an attack for a while, touch wood.
May I suggest you try drinking a glass of tonic water each day and see what happens. Good luck.
Wow, just googled the symptoms I was having and I'm glad to have stumbled upon this forum and to know that  I'm not crazy. I have been getting  these sharp pains in my upper right inner thigh, panty line, especially if I make a sharp turn of the leg and that pain stops me right in my tracks, I feel like I'm going to fall to the ground because the pain is SO BAD. It feels like a pulled muscle type of pain and it started just a few months ago. I'm 42 years old and not in the best of shape. I have 3 kids all c-section. Soon after I had my children, I started having lower back problems. I used to always sleep on my stomach before the kids but that is impossible for me to do now, because of the severe lower back pain I get in the morning, bad enough to last all day. Now that I sleep on my right side, I've been getting pain on my shoulders, hip and down to the arch in my foot. If I elevate my feet and suddenly try to walk afterwards, my feet get numb and painful. I sometimes think that if I have to run out of the house in case of an emergency, I'm dead because there is NO WAY I can do it because of the pain and numbness. I wil schedule to see a dr. soon and hopefully get some answers. I wish you all well and have a blessed day!
Hi, everyone.
   thank god i found this forum.. im also suffering this kind of inner thigh pain so much.. i couldnt even sleep at night, i was just holding my left thigh all night long.. it started a few months ago. so i decided to consult my doctor, but she has no any idea of whats happening to my left thigh.. i asked not only one doctor but seven..its very dissapointing that nobody has any idea.. so! ive tried to find a way of how to stop this pain, and decided to buy a vegetables called MALUNGGAY LEAVES. you will find that only here in the philippines. so i started drinking 1 glass everyday.. and now i was in a verge  of relief.. thats the only medication i take, and until now, its not coming back, but everytime i forgot to drink my medication,. well.. expect the worse.. so guys.. all you have problems with inner thigh pains..  i can give a tips of how to remove it.. by the way, im windell patalinghug from philippines. pls. add me up on my facebook account. ***@**** thanks! godless us all!!
Hi, everyone.
   thank god i found this forum.. im also suffering this kind of inner thigh pain so much.. i couldnt even sleep at night, i was just holding my left thigh all night long.. it started a few months ago. so i decided to consult my doctor, but she has no any idea of whats happening to my left thigh.. i asked not only one doctor but seven..its very dissapointing that nobody has any idea.. so! ive tried to find a way of how to stop this pain, and decided to buy a vegetables called MALUNGGAY LEAVES. you will find that only here in the philippines. so i started drinking 1 glass everyday.. and now i was in a verge  of relief.. thats the only medication i take, and until now, its not coming back, but everytime i forgot to drink my medication,. well.. expect the worse.. so guys.. all you have problems with inner thigh pains..  i can give a tips of how to remove it.. by the way, im windell patalinghug from philippines. pls. add me up on my facebook account. maybe i can help you.***@**** thanks! godless us all!!
Hi, everyone.
   thank god i found this forum.. im also suffering this kind of inner thigh pain so much.. i couldnt even sleep at night, i was just holding my left thigh all night long.. it started a few months ago. so i decided to consult my doctor, but she has no any idea of whats happening to my left thigh.. i asked not only one doctor but seven..its very dissapointing that nobody has any idea.. so! ive tried to find a way of how to stop this pain, and decided to buy a vegetables called MALUNGGAY LEAVES. you will find that only here in the philippines. so i started drinking 1 glass everyday.. and now i was in a verge  of relief.. thats the only medication i take, and until now, its not coming back, but everytime i forgot to drink my medication,. well.. expect the worse.. so guys.. all you have problems with inner thigh pains..  i can give a tips of how to remove it.. by the way, im windell patalinghug from philippines. pls. add me up on my facebook account. maybe i can help you guys..thanks! godbless us all!!
i have had this pain in my inner thigh right above my knee since i was 3 yrs old im now 26!The doc thought it was groin pains but it has yet to stop.It can happen for days at a time or not come for yrs.I have to rub the area where the pain is in order for it to stop. I have had all my blood work done and it all came back normal. I also has x rays and an ulta sound while i was having the pains to see if there was any clots and thy seen nothing. No meds every work til i found excedrin extra strenth. My doc also noticed that one of my legs were longer thn the other and my spine is a little off. I dont knw wht it is and why know one can tell me how to make then stop.
Just had this for the first time OUCH!

I'm 32, female and a Fitness Instructor.  I've had a blood clot before but the pain for that was entirely different, same with Sciatica which I had years ago.

Tonight I'd just got into bed and turned onto my side and hooked my right leg over my left (as I always do) and then it struck.  I thought it was a bad cramp at first so tried to get to my feet but it was far too sore, so hovered, swearing for about 5 minutes until I could finally stand.  Bending my knee during the attack made it worse.  Unlike normal cramp, the pain started upper mid-thigh (inside) and went down to my knee - yes for stabbing pain.

I did 4 classes tonight it could just be dehydration, lack of salt in the system but yesterday when I was stretching I felt my lower back twinge and today it was a little bruised feeling so it could be related to that.  

Actually as I type this I can feel a very mild 'pinging' in my legs so I'm definitely leaning towards lower back / trapped nerve.  Chiropractor and sports massage for me I think.  Fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone.
I had an episode of bad back pain earlier this week and was prescribed dicloflenac alternated with co-codamol for this. Gradually the original pain eased only to be replaced almost at once by a new and severe pain in my left hip and outer thigh. This was similar to other descriptions on here - totally excruciating like an electric shock or a hot knife, only in my case it did not end after 5 minutes but just stayed over a period of hours getting worse and worse, to the point that my wife took me to the A&E dept of the local hospital at 00:30am. I was shaking like a leaf and I think I was on the verge of going into shock .

The hospital were great and they  gave me tramadol for the pain and diazepam as a muscle relaxant. I was thinking maybe a slipped disc was pressing on a nerve but the doctor who examined me said he thought it was more likely a nerve in my hip.  He also did checks to rule out kidney stones.  After another hour or so the pain had eased a little and I was allowed home. The pain was still bad on and off but I eventually managed to get to sleep around 5.00am. When I woke the next day the pain was still there but not so extreme and it was then I noticed my left thigh was numb. I found this article -  http://www.lower-back-pain-toolkit.com/meralgia-paresthetica.html  - which seems to fit my situation very closely. While this is about the outer thigh specifically I believe there are similar nerves serving the inner thigh so there might be a possibility of a simialr condition affecting those.

4 days later the numbness is still there. I have an appointment with a physiotherapist in a couple, of weeks so hope to find out more then.

My sympathies go out to everyone on here, and I am just praying I never get this again.
I have read all the comments but havent seen one that addressed Vulvadynia. It started in the pelvic/vulva area and getting worse with pain inside both thights to my knees. I have had prudendal nerve blocks, given elavil, neurotin, lyrica you name it, nothing worked. It keeps me up at night and rarely goes away. My gyn diagonsed me with pelvic neuratpathy and vulvadynia....It is very  painful. Thanks for letting me share.
I have the same thing happen to me ,i dont agree with the loose clothes answer as this always happens in the middle of the night .Same symptons five mins mega painfull ,then nothing. I`d love to find out whats causing this.
male 27,   sharp sudden tearing / burning feeling  in upper left thigh, close to the crease of the leg and genitalia,   seems to happen when i stand up from sitting or laying.  the pain is defiantly a 10 out of 10.  as of late, seems to happen when i turn my body sharply, or bend over too far.

there are a couple things im thinking.

iv had a cordizone shot in my wrist lately,
iv had several back issues, no major suergury,
i stretch every day, did i over stretch?
blood clought? doubtfull...  id probably be dead already
neurological problems? nerves....?

iv used tylenol 4's and anti inflamitories,  iv self medicated myself to the point passing out, tried to induce the pain on myslef,  and yup....  it could wake you out of a coma...   i guess that tells you something about inflamation and general pain causes... i will check anyways.

i have an amazing doctor.. he is renowned for figuring **** out, and he takes his time.. i call him the  DR. HOUSE... lol  plus my healthcare is free..  so ill be hasseling him tomorow about this.     i will post with answers.  

You could also have endometriosis. I have that inner thigh pain from endo. You might want to see if you can find a endo specialist as a general ob/gyn does not know enough. You can contact the endo association:
http://www.endometriosisassn.org/
to find one near you.

I hope this helps,
achilles2
Hi I'm fee I been having this terrible pain in both legs had all king of test done on both legs the results came back normal that's in possible this pain ant shooting out for a reason they have me on lortab...dont do no good what is next
I am so very happy I have found this forum.  At least I know I'm not the only one.  I am in for the past 15yrs.  I've never experienced this before. I do have one question.  I notice that many people complain of their inner left thigh and I'm wondering if these people happen to be right handed.  I'm left handed and my pain is in my right inner thigh.  I do believe there is probably some correlation between the nerves, spine and siatic. I have had 2 cases of shingles when I was younger and I also have Raynaud's phenomenon.  I don't know if there is some underlining link with all this or not.  I do find it extremely interesting that so many people have this problem and the doctors can not seem to pinpoint it.  I think this would be a interesting study case if there is a doctor out there interested.  So many people with symptoms and problems there has to be a common denominator somewhere along the line.
DEAR NELLIE,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ORIGINAL POST  OF MAY 9, 2007..  I GUESS I AM A VERY SLOW LEARNER OF THIS WONDERFUL  INTERNET SYSTEM ... SO  JUST NOW THOUGHT O  TRYING TO  GOOGLE MY SYMPTOMS WHICH I HAVE  HAD EXACTLY SAME AS YOUR "EXCRUCIATING" INNER THIGH  OFF AND ON A FEW TIMES PER YEAR  FOR OVER 10 YEARS .. DOCTORS  SEEM TO HAVE NO CLUE .. TOLD  TO UPON  4 AM  ATTACK , TO SIT IN BATH TUB OF EXTREMELY HOT WATER FOR 10-15 MINUTES ...

DON'T KNOW WHAT I WILL DO IF I AM ON A 14 HOUR PLANE TRIP TO ASIA ???? .... NOW AM  READING THE OTHER 99 REPLIES ... AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR ORIGINAL DESCIPTION

DEAR NELLIE,

Yes I have been diagnosed with shingles and i have this excruciating pain like everyone else in my upper right thigh that comes without notice and I can't relate it to anything.  I do not have any other diagnoses that I could attribute to it.  I do have a family history of cardiovascular disease but had a ct 2 yrs ago and did not show any vascular probs.  I do have rt hip pain and rt knee swelling - the hip pain is relieved by a chiropractor.  
I was just woken from a dead sleep with this pain (it's 3 am) about an hour ago. Blinding pain, like a burning wire being shoved in inner upper RIGHT thigh. Brutal. After I'm afraid to move, afraid I'll set it off again. I get it about twice a year (last time was July tho), for me lasts about 5 mins.It's been happening for several years now. I always try and chomp a  tums (calcium) & potassium & apply ice --- that is if there's someone to get it for me cause walking's not exactly an option it hurts so damn much. Thing is, as with drinking baking soda and other "Solutions" I see posted, I wonder if it just goes away on it's own after a few minutes anyway.
     I'm 42 and a 20+ year cancer survivor and >10 years ago my sciatic nerve was cut (on opposite leg) during the 4th revision to my total hip so I'm on neurontin. That leg (Left) is partially paralyzed so my RIGHT does all of the 'heavy lifting'. If this is nerve pain (seems like it is - i think the engineer looking at the nerve charts is on to something) I can't believe it could be even worse if I didn't have that drug in my system.

I definetly see a pattern. Today I took a long walk, on  my crutches. It also often happens the night after I've worked alot of hours. I'm a medical microbiologist. I work in a lab & I sit on a chair on rollers pushing with my right leg (affected leg) to move around lab.I think overuse 'causes it. One time it was set on at a friend's house when I put the bend of my knee on the hand handle of my canadian crutch.  I wonder if it maybe some interaction between muscle and nerve?  I've never had shingles.

Good luck people. My heart goes out to you if you're experiencing it more than me.. it just *****. Not sure if I'll try the primrose...thing is, it happens so infrequently, I don't know how i'd know if it was working or not.
OMG there are others in the world who have the same problem as me!  That is reassuring to know that it isnt all in my mind...I am sure most of you, like me do begin to wonder that...the pain is intense and then it is gone...
I have read all the above comments...and sometimes it is the simplest thing that pops out...I get this pain when transitioning between sitting and standing (though I also get it at night)..I just realised that when moving my roller chair out, I use my right leg to push back...could it be as simple at that?  overusing my right leg in that manner?  
I will certainly be aware of this now and alternate legs.  I will also try some of the remedies mentioned..drink more water, get more potassium, magnesium in my diet (bananas?) and try tonic water...and use voltaren gel (which I have some already)

I have been going to an osteopath and while not completly stopping the problem I do notice an improvement...I am not walking like a little ol' cripple any more and can get in and out of my car with having to lift my right leg in..

Good luck to you all, and know that there are others like you out here..so dont give up, be strong..or kia kaha as we say here in NZ..

I had the same excrutiating intermittent (every ten minutes) pain in my left hip flexor for ten days. Yesterday I visited my osteopath for a 45-minute session. She did Active Release Technique on the psoas and hip flexor, adjusted my L4 and L5 vertebrae, and also worked on the IT band and mid spine. I had several more painful hip spasms that evening (all that work puts the muscles into spasm) but I did not wake up with pain at all last night and I have had no more spasms today at all. I highly, highly recommend osteopathy for this kind of injury. The osteopath looks for what is causing the symptom, instead of just treating the location where the pain is.

I hope you all get some relief from this painful condition. If you decide to try osteopathy, do your homework and make sure you go to a properly trained, licensed practitioner.

Cheers.
i too have this pain in my inner thighs, my doctor told me lack of potassium, gave me pills for that and a muscle relaxant, which is amazing, as soon as the pain starts, i pop a muscle relaxant and the pain dissappears immediatly instead of lasting the 5+ minutes of the most agonising pain, this is obviously not a cure but certainly helps in the meantime
This thread has been extremely helpful. I'm 38 years old and physically active. I had a sharp spasm last month but have never experienced pain in my upper right thigh (I'm right handed by the way). I think there's a correlation with dehydration since I frequently walk around thirsty. In addition, low back pain is very familiar to me. I agree with someone else, the engineer may be on to something. In the mean time I'm drinking lots of water and even more when I workout.
Since you are relatively new to the internet here's a lesson...

Capital letter words mean that you are YELLING!

I have been having the inner thigh pain.

I know they are cramps but no one seems to know what causes them.

I thought they were from standing on a ladder for hours.

A trainer says I have weak gluts. I think he's nuts.

All of us seem to have one thing in common; we sit in front of a computer for hours!

Stretching the inner thigh when the pain comes helps but it does take awhile.
Hi Folks

Me too, excrutiating pin point pain like red hot needle about three inches above inside left leg at knee and two inches to front left. It is enough to make me scream in agony and like everyone else has said it goes away and comes back periodically.  I dread it and I have no idea what is causing it.
Hi Folks

i have just had a problem with my right inner thigh, i got excruciatingly painful tensing and i have just been to football and have only experienced this in my toe when swimming if i cross them while in the water, i dont know why. i am healthy and i play a lot of sport but never have i had something like this, my dad said it could be muscular strain and you can use creams for this which i have researched minuets before i found this thread maybe you could try them
My mum in law experiences similar unbearable pain. And she Faints immediately. We put a hot water bag and massage it upwards. She had done a yoga stretch almost 12 years ago which caused these cramps and fainting. She keeps a small bottle of salt in the side of her bed to have a pinch of it. Sweating in those areas must be reducing salt drastically...
I also have had this going on for about 3 weeks. It started as just a spot in the middle of my thigh and then it started on the inside of my left thigh. Now that seems to be the only place. I am 48, in decent health, high cholesterol, borderline BP issues on meds for both.I take Lovasa and Lisinipril and previcid. I feel good most of the time, and I don't have any lower back issues. I was thinking Blood clot until I saw all of these. Hope someone finds something out. I don't like the ice pick in my leg feeling much. I get lots of aches and pains but not all can be from being in late 40's!
I just started having a similar thing mine lasts about 30 seconds feels like a knife about 3 inches down from my pelvis towards the groin on the left side.  It started about a week ago.  I am a 33 year old male 6'2" 225lbs decent health I do IT and sit at a desk a lot..I haven't been to a doctor yet but if this keeps up I will and I will also site this article for reference.  I'll let you know if I find something.
The same thing happened both yesterday and today a couple of minutes ago. I think it may be related to extreme exercise a couple of hours before because I had basketball tryouts (I am 14 as a freshman in high school) for 2 hours today and yesterday and it never happened before that. Pay attention to if you exercised a lot a couple of hours before it happens to you and maybe this might help your doctor (I don't intend on seeing a doctor about this). Also, I found the easiest way to make it go by quicker is to just relax and literally not move a muscle. Do not roll on the floor, clutching your leg, and wincing in pain; I found this makes it last longer because when I relaxed it it only lasted about 2 minutes. I know it really hurts, just down right excruciating pain. Just relax and know it will be over soon. Best of luck!
Ugh I cannot take the pain - I got it last night when I stood up from sitting on the couch. Was not sitting long at all. The   pain is in the right groin area - def not a muscle strain - have not been exercising. Today when I woke up - I can hardly walk. I tried to see what movements would cause the pain while sitting. If I try to abduct my right leg it feels like someone is stabbing my. Now just sitting here I can still feel the pain. It is not going away - only getting worse. Do I go to the ER??
I have the same pain. It is the most horrible thing !!! It hurts so bad, I become nauseated, wanting to throw up. Ihave had ultrasounds and they can find nothing wrong.!!! It is horribel.. Like my whole inner thigh seizes up. I can't stand up straight, walk or like down.  Nothing relieves the pain and it has lasted up to 15 minutes, sometime in both legs.  My muscle is not sore afterward, like a normal cramp. I am overweight, but I do work out 3-4 times a week and am losing weight. Does anyone know what causes this.
I have had this pain a couple of times but on the top of my foot close to my lower leg--I guess in the crease that bends when you lift your foot off the floor while leaving your heal on the floor (best way I can describe it).

Just a few minutes ago, I had my first incident in my upper left thigh--exactly the same as MANY of you have described; couldn't bend leg, couldn't straighten it out, couldn't walk!  All I could do was double over in pain, try not to fall, and SCREAM!  As someone described it above, it felt like someone was sticking a hot wire hanger up the inside of my thigh!

I see LOTS of people getting LOTS of tests, but I don't see where any doctor has been able to diagnose these horrible attacks.

HELP!
Ended up in the ER today the pain got so bad. They gave me an injection of anti-inflammatory b/c I have gastritis and cannot take orally.  Was told that it is Hip Bursitis/Tendon injury. Going to follow up with orthopedic tmrw. They told me I will most likely need a steroid injection. Currently Resting Icing Elevating. Was given anti-inflammatory, Pain Killer and Pepcid for my stomach. Hopefully I will be able to walk tomorrow
I am 16 years old, 5ft 1" and 8 stone so im not over weight. Yesterday i walked 5 miles over boggy terrain for my Duke of Ed award and all of a sudden had a sharp stabbing pain in my top thigh/groin area! And it stayed all through the rest of the walk and all night last night especially hurts when i lift my leg off thw floor! Please help it really hurts!!
I went to the ortho today - of coarse my pain was gone when I was there - my range of motion was also fine. So he did not do anything. Two hours after I got home, the pain in my groin came back - but was no where near as bad as it was last week. Now I have a dull pain in my glutes as well. I can hear a clicking noise when I walk. The doctor today said that I may have a tear in the acetabular labrum. Luckily I had a  appt scheduled with another Ortho for tmrw. Hoping to get an MRI done as soon as possible.
i am 40 and i am over weight but have the same thing sever inner theigh leg cramps so bad i scream and cry and lay there rubbing my legs for  a while then petrified  to move for it may happen again, i also asked the doc but he said its cause not enough electrolites or pottassuim  but  i found no its wrong i drink  alot of electrolites and have pottassium all the time  so he says its the no carb diet i was on   wrong again cause i wasnt on that diet 5 yrs ago and this has been happening for 10 yrs now  so doctors have no clue what it is but i tell you what the pain is just as bad as giving birth   if anyone can make since for all of us plz do  i tried muscle relaxers and  a pill called leg cramps  but  after a few weeks  the pain still comes back. plz help all of us in severe pain someone anyone out there??
i'm suffering from hemorrhoids, does anyone else with this pain in the inner thighs suffer from the same thing.

Any remedie? Help!
The pain has been unabearable for most of the last week.  Between the "charley horses" of the left thigh, the "ripping" feeling of the left inner thigh, the voltaren, the flexeril, Little has changes.  I now have seen the chciropractor for 6 days in a row, some relief, but the simpliest little (wrong) movement can send me to HELL in pain. I Am going to demand aN MRI to or EMG to see if there is a pinched nerve in the hip area where the groin muscles cross (also painful but relieved with heat) or in my L-3,4,5.  Why my bacvk doesn't hurt is a mystery altho the muscles area to the left of the lum bar area on the buttocks  is like a rock and very painful.  Its the spasms in the thigh that I can't handle, too painful to cry.  Condolescences to everyone in this rocky boat!
Please try ASTYM. I had the sharp pain MRI's etc. Am now going through the ASTYM process part of physical therapy and it works. Look it up on the internet. It is a scraping process that breaks down fibers in your legs. This along with strectching exercises, and other exercises will work. I have my therapy done at Benchmark.  I'm telling you I thought I was going to die from the stabbing pain in my thigh.  It just takes time but works!
DIAGNOSE FOR YOU ALL: I started feeling the pain in March after stopping birth control for four years. I was diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder (I clot too much) while I was on the birth control. Once I stopped b.c. all my lab tests came back to normal- and then the pain started. I was hospitalized for 2 weeks, went to 4 hospitals and had at least 20 docs look at my case along with CT scans, MRIs, and Xrays. Finally, out of nowhere my "Dr.House" appeared. I go to UMASS Amherst in Massachusetts and there at the health services building was a doctor who actually put all the clues together. He believes I am experiencing tiny blots clots in the vessels leading to the nerves in my legs causing excruciating pain that I describe as "bee stings" and "knife stabs" in my upper right thigh. This is known as a peripheral neuropathy. I was put on predisone to decrease inflammation of the vessels and lovanox (blood thinners) and VOILA! The pain dissappeard almost entirely for months. After finishing the regimen, unfortunately the pain returned EVERY month on the exact same day every month! Basically, (I'm 20 btw) everytime I ovulate the pain returns. My brilliant doc thinks this is linked. There is a possibility that b.c. made me sensitive to my own hormones and since you don't ovulate on b.c. we are just now seeing it. I am tapering off the predisone and lovanox now (its been close to 8 months off and on meds) but the pain is much less intense on the blood thinners and predisone. I see my doc once a week now so I'll keep you updated. Just know-24 hours on lovanox and the pain magically dissapeard! Now when I DO experience pain (once a month) its a 7/10 instead of a 13/10 :) God Bless! I'll keep updating you all-in the mean time my doc may be literally making a new disease name for this!! Which would mean a diagnosis and treatment options for all of us!!