Neurology Community
Sharp pain on left side in lung area feels like cramp

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

For the last 2-3 months, I have experienced a sharp, debilitating pain in the left mid-lung area that radiates to the left kidney area.  Have HBP, RA, GERD, Depression.  My RA has been controlled with 20mg of Predisone for approx 3yrs, and I have gained about 30lbs.  I take approx 4 different meds to control my BP.  Recently, suffered repeated bouts of Sinus infections.  Prone to Bronchitis with each cold I get.  I am a smoker, 1/2 to 1pk/day. Do not drink alcohol, but yes to coffee.  The pain can be brought on by just sitting in a chair.  It takes my breath away and is extremely painful; I have to breath through it.  The area is sore to the touch.  I have also developed a cough that produces clear phlegm; but feels like my sinuses are continuously running down the back of my throat.  My doctor says these are some of the side effects of the Prednisone and I need to get off of it asap.  I'm not sure what I should be looking for, or asking, when I see the doctor.  Just know that the pains are coming closer together and more painful.

This discussion is related to Spasms.
Sounds like you have a so-called "greenstick" fracture of a rib, which is common for someone on prednisone for as long as you have been. They don't show up well on x-rays. That's just a guess, but the pieces fit.

There are other possibilities, all pleuritic in nature. Of course it could be lung cancer. Unlikely.

You are smoking and on the roller coaster ride operated by the grim reaper  that ends in death. What part being dead and being eviscerated in a medical examiners office isn't exactly clear to you?

You are getting the sinus infections because the prednisone depresses the immune system. The sinus infections drip down into the lung and produce pheglm.

As you smoke, you load up the red blood cells with carbon monoxide and your blood is carrying oxygen at 50% capacity.

And you are "four-different meds" to control blood pressure....

You need to sit down tonight, evaluate yourself and give yourself a good kick in the pants.

Unless you get your life under control things are going to get much worse.

Good uck.
I might add, the high blood pressure is probably compensatory. That is to say, your carotid sensors indicate you don't have enough oxygenated blood going to the brain so the pressure is increased. Your meds interfere with this mechanism.

You have to give up smoking. Your blood pressure will go down.